Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• Give this one to the man in the kilt!

OHMSS
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    No brainer.
    OHMSS
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I will say this though:

As much as I admire GL in OHMSS I prefer Pierce.
    As much as I respect Dame Diana and love her character I prefer Isabella. Sexier and more homely.

Call me a hopeless romantic but both Pierce and George also have good examples of soppy, "aww" dialogue:

Pierce: "Yes...basic rule...always call their bluff!"
    George: "It's not new year yet!"
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,497
    I'm utterly shocked that OHMSS isn't wiping the floor with GE! From @00Beast I expect GE to triumph--GE and OHMSS are two opposite ends of the spectrum for him, but @DarthDimi? @DaltonCraig007? @CraigMoore<;b>OHMSS</b>? Gentlemen, what has gotten over you! Did the Broz steal the hypnotize tapes and make you agents of Goldeneye Death! I'm quite concerned!

But nice surprise from @BAIN123, Mr. GE himself, voting for OHMSS! =D> Perhaps Blofeld has in fact made you an angel of death!

...Oh yeah, if it isn't already obvious, my vote is for the greatest James Bond film set to film: the one, the only....

<b>On Her Majesty's Secret Service!</b>
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
    Goldeneye. Better Bond, better villian, better action, better girl, better everything. Lasenby was decent but he's not a very good actor, and the whole Angels Of Death plot just seemed stupid to me. I like OHMSS, but I like GE much better.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Goldeneye. Better Bond, better villian, better action, better girl, better everything. Lasenby was decent but he's not a very good actor, and the whole Angels Of Death plot just seemed stupid to me. I like OHMSS, but I like GE much better.

^This. I too vote GoldenEye
  • Goldeneye. Better Bond, better villian, better action, better girl, better everything. Lasenby was decent but he's not a very good actor, and the whole Angels Of Death plot just seemed stupid to me. I like OHMSS, but I like GE much better.

Please tell me the soundtrack wasn't included in "better everything"?

Actually you got me there I prefer the OHMSS soundtrack. I do love the GE soundtrack though, really unique and matches the feeling of the film.

The soundtrack to GE really isn't that bad. Certainly no JB but, put it this way, I listen to it in my car.
  • You had me worried there TLR :D

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    JBFan626 wrote:

OHMSS is not far beyond GE for me ;) both are in my top 10.
    Tough call this one. But I've always had a hard time buying into Lazenby as Bond........or as an actor, really.

So, yeah, gotta go with Goldeneye.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    JBFan626 wrote:
    But nice surprise from @BAIN123, Mr. GE himself, voting for OHMSS! =D> Perhaps Blofeld has in fact made you an angel of death!

Maybe ;) Nonetheless both are in my top 5.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    JBFan626 wrote:
    I'm utterly shocked that OHMSS isn't wiping the floor with GE! From @00Beast I expect GE to triumph--GE and OHMSS are two opposite ends of the spectrum for him, but @DarthDimi? @DaltonCraig007? @CraigMoore<;b>OHMSS</b>? Gentlemen, what has gotten over you! Did the Broz steal the hypnotize tapes and make you agents of Goldeneye Death! I'm quite concerned!

...Oh yeah, if it isn't already obvious, my vote is for the greatest James Bond film set to film: the one, the only....

<b>On Her Majesty's Secret Service!</b>

Hey, what can I say. Lazenby's performance really affects the film for me when I have to compare it to others. It's still in my top 5 as its an extremely well made and very enjoyable film and its one of the 3 epic Bond films for me (The other being CR and TB) but I just prefer GoldenEye by a tiny amount.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The best Bond film ever against one of the most overrated entries of the series, easy!

On Her Majesty Secret Service, every department bar none it excels and leaves Brosnan's debut looking like a high budget TV movie.
    GoldenEye!
    The third Bond film for me!
    And, Lazenby tried a little to copy Conery. But was really a parody. It ruined that great film. And Lazenby hasn't got that skills of acting.
    And I find GoldenEye dark. Like CR, TLD and etc. That's plus.
  • DB5DB5
    I think most people would agree that OHMSS is one of the very best of Fleming's novels. And the film (unlike many other Bond films) follows the book pretty closely. The John Barry music, the ski chase scenes and Diana Rigg! OHMSS hands down!
    Such a shame, I really am disappointed. Honestly, OHMSS over GE? How is that even possible! It blows the mind.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    00Beast wrote:
    Such a shame, I really am disappointed. Honestly, OHMSS over GE? How is that even possible! It blows the mind.

I agree. I guess it's just our placement in time and being introduced to the likes of GE that makes it 'obvious' for others to choose OHMSS over GE. Oh well, it still wins by one thousand miles for me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It is in my book Sir Henry. :-bd
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    W_PPK wrote:
    And, Lazenby tried a little to copy Conery. But was really a parody.

I disagree. Connery was copied by Sean Connery in DAF.

Goldeneye, it's hardly the best Bond ever, but better than a lot of it's rivals

OHMSS is seen as a classic by some, you can see why, but for this round, the truth of the matter is that Goldeneye is simply a better and more entertaining Bond release. Sorry George..
    Creasy47 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

I agree. I guess it's just our placement in time and being introduced to the likes of GE that makes it 'obvious' for others to choose OHMSS over GE. Oh well, it still wins by one thousand miles for me.

Precisely! I just don't get it. You've got Pierce over George, which that alone should propel GE over OHMSS, then Serra's epic soundtrack over Barry's, the action with which GE slaughters OHMSS, the pace, which I'm sure needs no explanation, and so much more!
    Plus it has Izabella Scorupco over Diana Rigg just for good measure

and.. OHMSS does get a bit dull and lifeless every now and again, although one of my favorite scenes is where Lazenby is in Gumbolds office, cracking the safe code and sitting around reading magazines, and by rights, I should be as bored as can be?

The pre credits sequence in Portugal where George rescues Di Vicenzo from taking her own life is almost as good as the teaser in 1995 at the Arkhangel facility, being serious
    @Baltimore_007: Ehh....I don't know. I really hate the editing in the OHMSS PTS, it's quite cruddy to say the least. Also, when comparing the soundtracks playing in the back, oh good heavens, not even close!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Precisely! I just don't get it. You've got Pierce over George, which that alone should propel GE over OHMSS, then Serra's epic soundtrack over Barry's, the action with which GE slaughters OHMSS, the pace, which I'm sure needs no explanation, and so much more!

I'll give you the rest but that statement is just plain wrong. Barry's OHMSS work is one of, if not the greatest action adventure scores of all time.
    OHMSS
    00Beast wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

I'll give you the rest but that statement is just plain wrong. Barry's OHMSS work is one of, if not the greatest action adventure scores of all time.

I don't see how. To me, the soundtrack for OHMSS is dump! Only the theme music is good; everything else can be thrown in the trash. I particularly hate that instrumental junk for "We Have All the Time in the World." That's enough to make me want to turn the whole movie off then and there. Also I'm sure I don't have to mention the Christmas Tree song, oh my goodness, that's just plain annoying. Serra's GoldenEye soundtrack really fit the mood for the movie and is fun to listen to while watching the movie. Barry's OHMSS soundtrack simply brings the movie down even more notches than it was.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Can we have LTK vs. TSWLM next, or have we done that one yet?