Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,534
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    THE BFG

thebfg03.jpg

I'm a huge Spielberg fan... and this is the first Spielberg film so far to have let me down. Its worst sin? Boredom, absolute boredom. Not a big Dahl fan either. But the big issue I have with this film is that it has nothing going on. It tries to thrive on its amazing visuals, CGI magic and other examples of technical genius. The problem is that this is 2016, several years post-Avatar, right in the middle of stunning Disney Star Wars and Marvel adventures which, by the way, actually have a story to tell. You know, the old "things are happening" trick, which THE BFG somehow managed to neglect as a necessity in a near-two-hour film.

I love DOOM 3 THE BFG edition. I love me a Big Framboise Gelato. But the Big Friendly Giant commits the inexcusable sin of being Boring, Flat and Goofy. Sorry Steven, I am a Big Fan with Gratitude for everything you've given me so far, but I wish you hadn't made this disaster piece. A Bad Film with nothing but Garbage. Yeah, I can keep going. Let's just leave it at this Spielberg fan being severely disappointed.

1/5

I beg to differ entirely...ok, not 5/5, but 4/5. I enjoyed THE BFG immensely, while not having had the slightest temptation to watch any of the latest Marvel or Disney Star Wars stuff (the dismal prequel trilogy gave me the rest already). I was not in the least extent bored by THE BFG (though I admit I often enjoy slower movies and never prefer a shorter cinematic version over a longer director's cut).

I still haven't watched all Spielberg movies although I own them on Blu-ray. I kept procrastinating on some films that I expect to be rather too melodramatic and/or romantic for my taste. Think ALWAYS, THE COLOR PURPLE, and WAR HORSE. But I have yet to see a bad Spielberg movie, and THE BFG is no exception at all.

I enjoy slower and longer films myself, as long as they've got something going on. 2001: A Space Odyssey is my favourite film of all time. That film gives me tons of things to enjoy. I can watch Lawrence Of Arabia in one sitting and never blink so to speak. But The BFG gives me nothing, or at best too little too late. I somewhat enjoyed the meeting with the queen. I say 'somewhat' because the attempted comedy went cold fast.

I wish I could love this film because like I said, I am a huge Spielberg fan. Even Hook, which not too many people seem to enjoy, or TINTIN, which has its share of detractors as well, are films that I continue to nurture a strong fondness for, despite being close to middle-age myself. Kaminski's photography along with the divine John Williams and his ever-perfect scores should be enough to keep me going.

I mentioned Star Wars and Marvel because if THE BFG had been released like this in, say, 2000, I would have stood perplexed by how awesome the film looks, but in an era when Captain America The Winter Soldier not only looks better but packs a lot of punch while also being the most contemplative and "quiet" of those Avengers films, the BFG just isn't anything 'special' or 'innovative' anymore. Others are doing it better. It's just another Hobbit film, and those too suffered from looking great while losing focus on the story and pace.

I guess my food analogy would be something like: all the wonderful ingredients are on my plate; it looks good and it smells even better--but then I taste it and someone forgot the salt and seasoning and everything is just flat, dull and I keep chewing on things I don't want to eat but have to. ;-)

I have by no means lost faith in Steven, don't worry. He remains my hero, the man who's given me wonderful, dreamy, adventurous films in my youth, powerful cinematic jewels later... and who continues to make really good movies that I can enjoy even today. Even the ones you mention, like War Horse, Always, The Color Purple, plus The Terminal, War Of The Worlds, A.I. and several others that aren't generally loved by wider audiences remain films I love to watch. I appreciate both his spectacles (even the heavily debated Temple Of Doom, Crystal Skull, The Lost World) as well as his more melodramatic films, and I have never matured to the point where E.T. and the likes wouldn't somehow be enjoyable anymore.

I guess The BFG just pushed the wrong buttons in me (or rather, none at all.) I'm glad others like this film. I wish I could. And maybe, given enough time, so can I one day. ;-)
    The Way of the Dragon : The first Bruce Lee movie I saw, way back in 1975 in Berlin. The european extras costumes scream 70s so high it hurts, but the action scenes are still some of the best ever produced. I followed that with the strange documentary Bruce Lee : The Man and the Legend, filmed right after his death (and part of the Blu-Ray bonuses). Lots of unseen (by me) extracts and photos. But way too much emphasis on his funerals, both at the beginning and the end.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I love DOOM 3 THE BFG edition. I love me a Big Framboise Gelato. But the Big Friendly Giant commits the inexcusable sin of being Boring, Flat and Goofy. Sorry Steven, I am a Big Fan with Gratitude for everything you've given me so far, but I wish you hadn't made this disaster piece. A Bad Film with nothing but Garbage. Yeah, I can keep going.

You can, but you would be Beating the Film into the Ground.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    THE BFG

thebfg03.jpg

I'm a huge Spielberg fan... and this is the first Spielberg film so far to have let me down. Its worst sin? Boredom, absolute boredom. Not a big Dahl fan either. But the big issue I have with this film is that it has nothing going on. It tries to thrive on its amazing visuals, CGI magic and other examples of technical genius. The problem is that this is 2016, several years post-Avatar, right in the middle of stunning Disney Star Wars and Marvel adventures which, by the way, actually have a story to tell. You know, the old "things are happening" trick, which THE BFG somehow managed to neglect as a necessity in a near-two-hour film.

I love DOOM 3 THE BFG edition. I love me a Big Framboise Gelato. But the Big Friendly Giant commits the inexcusable sin of being Boring, Flat and Goofy. Sorry Steven, I am a Big Fan with Gratitude for everything you've given me so far, but I wish you hadn't made this disaster piece. A Bad Film with nothing but Garbage. Yeah, I can keep going. Let's just leave it at this Spielberg fan being severely disappointed.

1/5

I beg to differ entirely...ok, not 5/5, but 4/5. I enjoyed THE BFG immensely, while not having had the slightest temptation to watch any of the latest Marvel or Disney Star Wars stuff (the dismal prequel trilogy gave me the rest already). I was not in the least extent bored by THE BFG (though I admit I often enjoy slower movies and never prefer a shorter cinematic version over a longer director's cut).

I still haven't watched all Spielberg movies although I own them on Blu-ray. I kept procrastinating on some films that I expect to be rather too melodramatic and/or romantic for my taste. Think ALWAYS, THE COLOR PURPLE, and WAR HORSE. But I have yet to see a bad Spielberg movie, and THE BFG is no exception at all.

I enjoy slower and longer films myself, as long as they've got something going on. 2001: A Space Odyssey is my favourite film of all time. That film gives me tons of things to enjoy. I can watch Lawrence Of Arabia in one sitting and never blink so to speak. But The BFG gives me nothing, or at best too little too late. I somewhat enjoyed the meeting with the queen. I say 'somewhat' because the attempted comedy went cold fast.

I wish I could love this film because like I said, I am a huge Spielberg fan. Even Hook, which not too many people seem to enjoy, or TINTIN, which has its share of detractors as well, are films that I continue to nurture a strong fondness for, despite being close to middle-age myself. Kaminski's photography along with the divine John Williams and his ever-perfect scores should be enough to keep me going.

I mentioned Star Wars and Marvel because if THE BFG had been released like this in, say, 2000, I would have stood perplexed by how awesome the film looks, but in an era when Captain America The Winter Soldier not only looks better but packs a lot of punch while also being the most contemplative and "quiet" of those Avengers films, the BFG just isn't anything 'special' or 'innovative' anymore. Others are doing it better. It's just another Hobbit film, and those too suffered from looking great while losing focus on the story and pace.

I guess my food analogy would be something like: all the wonderful ingredients are on my plate; it looks good and it smells even better--but then I taste it and someone forgot the salt and seasoning and everything is just flat, dull and I keep chewing on things I don't want to eat but have to. ;-)

I have by no means lost faith in Steven, don't worry. He remains my hero, the man who's given me wonderful, dreamy, adventurous films in my youth, powerful cinematic jewels later... and who continues to make really good movies that I can enjoy even today. Even the ones you mention, like War Horse, Always, The Color Purple, plus The Terminal, War Of The Worlds, A.I. and several others that aren't generally loved by wider audiences remain films I love to watch. I appreciate both his spectacles (even the heavily debated Temple Of Doom, Crystal Skull, The Lost World) as well as his more melodramatic films, and I have never matured to the point where E.T. and the likes wouldn't somehow be enjoyable anymore.

I guess The BFG just pushed the wrong buttons in me (or rather, none at all.) I'm glad others like this film. I wish I could. And maybe, given enough time, so can I one day. ;-)

Fair enough, of course. Just felt the need not to let your critique stand unopposed.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I can watch Lawrence Of Arabia in one sitting and never blink so to speak.

Only two kinds of creatures can, bedouins and gods, and you're neither.

Okay I'll cut it out with the jokes for now, effendi.
    THE BFG

thebfg03.jpg

1/5

Fair enough, of course. Just felt the need not to let your critique stand unopposed.

That's the spirit, sir. ;-)
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I can watch Lawrence Of Arabia in one sitting and never blink so to speak.

Only two kinds of creatures can, bedouins and gods, and you're neither.

Okay I'll cut it out with the jokes for now, effendi.

Thou art mistaken, sir. A god . am . I!

riddler-jim-carrey.jpg?w=943
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited July 2021 Posts: 2,352
    THE BFG

thebfg03.jpg

1/5

Do you like the Spielberg film 1941? Ein ?
    MV5BMTU1NTIxMzkwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTA2OTIxMw@@._V1_.jpg

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    p2688_d_v8_aa.jpg

Excellent period drama, there is a lot to like about this film it feels very authentic due to the location in which it was filmed. Sir Sean and Richard Harris are superb.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    p2688_d_v8_aa.jpg

Excellent period drama, there is a lot to like about this film it feels very authentic due to the location in which it was filmed. Sir Sean and Richard Harris are superb.

I visited the jail where that was set and or where it was based.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited July 2021 Posts: 6,779
    It's been a while since I watched any of the Hellraiser films (I haven't seen the more recent two), but they fall off a cliff after the first four.

13365235084_61a06c17b6_b.jpg

My personal favourite entry in Hammer's Frankenstein series.

Definitely my favourite of the Hammer Frankensteins as well, and that means it's by definition my favourite Frankenstein film overall.

@DarthDimi, I also have a fondness for Hook and to a lesser extent The Adventures of Tintin, although Tintin for me should always be in French ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2021 Posts: 23,271
    p2688_d_v8_aa.jpg

I visited the jail where that was set and or where it was based.
    It would be cool to visit as the film is based on factual events. The location where it was shot was an abandoned mining village believe.
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 5,802
    It would be cool to visit as the film is based on factual events. The location where it was shot was an abandoned mining village believe.

Those real events even inspired Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and formed the basis for The Valley of Fear, one of Sherlock Holmes adventures. And funny thing, one of the adaptations of the novel had Ian Fleming playing Watson. Although not our Ian Fleming :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Fleming_(actor)

Gerard wrote: »

Those real events even inspired Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and formed the basis for The Valley of Fear, one of Sherlock Holmes adventures. And funny thing, one of the adaptations of the novel had Ian Fleming playing Watson. Although not our Ian Fleming :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Fleming_(actor)

Interesting I never knew that, I own the Complete Novels and short Stories of Sherlock Holmes, I have just bookmarked The Valley of fear to re read later. Thanks for that.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    THE BFG

thebfg03.jpg

1/5

Do you like the Spielberg film 1941? Ein ?
    img

I know you didn't ask ME... but YES! When I'm in the right mood... Good, crazy fun, sort of a sequel to DR. STRANGELOVE.
    Batman the long Halloween part one

It’s well it’s not bad but it’s not amazing I will say I like Jensen Ackles as Batman better then I thought of course I wish Conroy was doing this but yeah it’s a good film

Films I have seen in 2001
    1. Casino Royale
    2. Quantum of solace
    3. John wick
    4. Batman The Long Halloween Part one
    5. Coming to America
    6. Highlander
    7. Monterey Pop Festival
    8. My big fat Greek wedding
    9. Batman: dying is easy
    10. Across the universe
    11. Batman hush
    12. Batman ninja
    13. Casino Royale 1954

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DEATH WISH (Eli Roth, 2018)
    Not bad, but not exactly great either. Anyway, it kept my attention, and was better than the original.
    1) Spiral: From The Book Of Saw

g9s6rloie4mr.png

Still a big fan of the series, but this one I'm so-and-so on. It's got some interesting new and fresh ideas, but I simply don't think Christ Rock is a particularly good actor. In fact, I find him annoying most of the time. And though I pretty much owe this next Saw instalment to him, he's just too much, all over the place, loud and exhausting. I'd be okay with them doing another one because I quite like the final reveal, but I wish someone would turn Rock down from 12 to 3.

2) Holiday Affair

2450-2.jpg

A very sweet, romantic little film, this, ignored in '49 but re-evaluated since. Mitchum is a delight as usual, but 22-year old Janet Leigh is just stunningly beautiful. It's a simple film, but it sure put a smile on my face.

3) The Forever Purge

the-forever-purge-trailer-1620845945.jpg?crop=0.725xw:1.00xh;0.125xw,0&resize=480:*

I keep telling myself that I'm all 'purged' out, but then the new film comes, and I'm always surprised with how enjoyable I find it. This one, however, really sticks it to the Trump era hard, in a heavy-handed and even hypocritical sort of way. Whatever my political thoughts on the matter, I'm not sure I appreciate that what was subtext at best in previous films has now turned full-on text here. The reason is that I like the Purge films as a thought experiment, but this one throws a socio-political agenda in our faces and I don't think the film is good enough to sustain those debates. Anyway, the action is pretty good, so as long as I can look past its politics, it's a cool flick.

4) Pig

ui1p86evg6xz.png

Nic Cage hasn't been this good since... uh... forever? I loved him in Mandie but he did his crazy thing there, whereas in this film, he's reserved, emotional, dark and absolutely brilliant. He won the Oscar for his role in Leaving Las Vegas, but what he does in Pig is better. This is a very small film, but hauntingly beautiful. The sound is incredible, and Alex Wolffe and Adam Arkin are very well cast. But it all comes down to Cage, who plays a reputed cook now turned hermit and truffle-poacher. When his pig gets stolen, he wants it back. But don't worry, this isn't John Wick with Nic Cage. What happens here is devoid of action; it's all about the human heart. I can't believe how little is going on in this film, and how much I have been given to ponder, contemplate and do some soul-searching over. Pig is one of those films that crawl under one's skin. 97% on RT? Yeah, I can really see why this time.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2021 Posts: 40,459
    I just rewatched the Saw franchise with my girlfriend, and while a lot of those later installments are objectively awful, they're at least entertaining and gory fun, something I realized in hindsight after seeing Spiral finally. I was fairly excited for it but the "twists" were so poorly hammered home throughout, it was very clear who was pulling the strings before the opening act even closed. The traps were good, I suppose, if not ridiculously elaborate and implausible for where they're located. I thought Samuel L. Jackson was really wasted in this and Rock doesn't cut it for me as a leading man, either. All told, it might be my least favorite, or at least in the bottom two, of the whole "series" for me.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I just rewatched the Saw franchise with my girlfriend, and while a lot of those later installments are objectively awful, they're at least entertaining and gory fun, something I realized in hindsight after seeing Spiral finally. I was fairly excited for it but the "twists" were so poorly hammered home throughout, it was very clear who was pulling the strings before the opening act even closed. The traps were good, I suppose, if not ridiculously elaborate and implausible for where they're located. I thought Samuel L. Jackson was really wasted in this and Rock doesn't cut it for me as a leading man, either. All told, it might be my least favorite, or at least in the bottom two, of the whole "series" for me.

I guess we saw the same film, you and I. ;-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I believe we did!

The biggest slap in the face for me, treating the audience like complete idiots, was when:
    Schenk (Minghella) is killed in a trap, yet we don't see his body or face, given a dizzyingly-edited rundown of the trap instead. Not only that, it didn't even appear to be a game; he was just straight up murdered, having all of his skin flayed off so he conveniently couldn't be identified, past that laughable tattoo? The first conversation in the car between him and Rock's character, plus his cute remarks about Rock's father being the reason for all this, had me 95% sure he was the killer, but that moment really sealed it for me. Terribly telegraphed, poorly executed and laughable as a whole. I'd figure after the same twist being conducted numerous times throughout the original series, they might've taken a different approach with this one, but alas, fresh, unique ideas are quite rare in Hollywood these days.

I believe we did!

The biggest slap in the face for me, treating the audience like complete idiots, was when:
    Schenk (Minghella) is killed in a trap, yet we don't see his body or face, given a dizzyingly-edited rundown of the trap instead. Not only that, it didn't even appear to be a game; he was just straight up murdered, having all of his skin flayed off so he conveniently couldn't be identified, past that laughable tattoo? The first conversation in the car between him and Rock's character, plus his cute remarks about Rock's father being the reason for all this, had me 95% sure he was the killer, but that moment really sealed it for me. Terribly telegraphed, poorly executed and laughable as a whole. I'd figure after the same twist being conducted numerous times throughout the original series, they might've taken a different approach with this one, but alas, fresh, unique ideas are quite rare in Hollywood these days.

That's exactly what got me pretty annoyed with the film. We were promised something fresh and new, but the only really fresh element is that
    this is Saw meets Shaft.
    And_Then_There_Were_None_%281945%29.jpg
    A Masterpiece and genre defining, one of my all time favourite movies.

A splendid movie and certainly my favourite Agatha Christie adaptation, at least of the ones I've seen so far. What continues to amaze me is how so not "dull" this film is, despite what its age might suggest to modern audiences.

A splendid movie and certainly my favourite Agatha Christie adaptation, at least of the ones I've seen so far. What continues to amaze me is how so not "dull" this film is, despite what its age might suggest to modern audiences.

The characters are fantastic and the island and house has so much atmosphere.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I love a good Murder Mystery.
    Last night I watched " The first great Train Robbery " with Sean Connery and
    Donald Sutherland, witty script and some great stunt work from Sean, climbing
    all over a speeding train.
    Papillon (1973)
    Excellent McQueen / Hoffman film, and another one Ego Ebert and Silly Siskel got wrong.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ZACK SNYDER s JUSTICE LEAGUE-JUSTICE IS GRAY EDITION

This looks even better. Best DC movie ever, I think.
    ZACK SNYDER s JUSTICE LEAGUE-JUSTICE IS GRAY EDITION

This looks even better. Best DC movie ever, I think.

Just watching the end of the Gray Edition now, it's just as impressive maintains and even enhances some exceptional visual details. Top five greatest Superhero movie for me.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Bloodshot,
    Not as Bad as I was expecting .... Not great but an enjoyable enough popcorn flick.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited July 2021 Posts: 2,352
    Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 1971
    One of my favourite films about chocolate..👍