NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    It always amuses me that it was the great John Barry himself who got rid of the guitar, in favor of a more traditional orchestral sound.

True. He did. I think he started doing that with Moore's Bond to suit Moore's lighter take on the character. But with Dalton, he brought an electronic, synthpop sound with the guitar in it

I don't think there was any guitar? Kamen is the one who brought Vic Flick back.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    mtm wrote: »
    It always amuses me that it was the great John Barry himself who got rid of the guitar, in favor of a more traditional orchestral sound.

True. He did. I think he started doing that with Moore's Bond to suit Moore's lighter take on the character. But with Dalton, he brought an electronic, synthpop sound with the guitar in it

I don't think there was any guitar? Kamen is the one who brought Vic Flick back.

Yeah. No doubt Kamen brought back the traditional Bond guitar. But the guitar I meant in TLD's score doesn't exactly scream the traditional Bond theme. But you can hear guitar in that electronic, synthpop Bond theme Barry created for Dalton's Bond, just to give Dalton a harder edge.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2021 Posts: 14,947
    What, as used in Ice Chase? I don't recall a guitar in that..?
    edited February 2021 Posts: 4,247
    What, as used in Ice Chase? I don't recall a guitar in that..?

Yeah. Ice Chase and Exercise at Gibraltar. There's more of bass guitar in them. Not the full traditional lead/electric guitar, although it's present in a subtle way.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited February 2021 Posts: 8,025
    You're referring to synthesizer that was substituting for what's traditionally the string section of the theme. That bass undercurrent, as the strings section plays for what used to be the guitar riff in the 60s.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I can’t hear guitar, only synth.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 4,247
    Yeah, I can't call you guys liars. The score is definitely synthesizer-heavy, since it was the sound of almost every 80s Band. But isn't there guitar interwoven with the synthesizer? Especially in the first few seconds of Ice Chase and when Bond & Kara ski with the cello?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You may be right, I've got a tin ear for these things! :)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Yeah, I can't call you guys liars. The score is definitely synthesizer-heavy, since it was the sound of almost every 80s Band. But isn't there guitar interwoven with the synthesizer? Especially in the first few seconds of Ice Chase and when Bond & Kara ski with the cello?

No, that's just the synthesizer playing. As far as I can tell, the Bond theme in TLD consists of the traditional horn/percussion/strings sections accompanied by a synthesizer, and a drum machine on loop.

The only time Barry brought back the guitar after Connery's departure was for AVTAK, but of course that was for "He's Dangerous" rather than the Bond theme.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2021 Posts: 14,947
    Totally coincidentally, I just went to Facebook and the 'Q The Music' show had uploaded themselves playing Ice Chase :)
    I know that they're not playing the same arrangement as the film uses, but they think it's got guitar in it! :D

Check it out here, pretty decent:
    https://fb.watch/3J_YGHVqZP/

No, that's just the synthesizer playing. As far as I can tell, the Bond theme in TLD consists of the traditional horn/percussion/strings sections accompanied by a synthesizer, and a drum machine on loop.

The only time Barry brought back the guitar after Connery's departure was for AVTAK, but of course that was for "He's Dangerous" rather than the Bond theme.

Yeah. You're right about those musical instruments. I thought I heard the guitar though. Maybe it's my love for rock music that's doing a number on me.

Yeah, He's Dangerous comes with that rock-like 80s guitar sound that rock bands use then.
    Totally coincidentally, I just went to Facebook and the 'Q The Music' show had uploaded themselves playing Ice Chase :)
    I know that they're not playing the same arrangement as the film uses, but they think it's got guitar in it! :D

Great variation of the track @mtm I really enjoyed it :D

Yeah, I think I heard guitar in the score. I don't know again Lol.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

No I think you may well be right; the Q Music people obviously thought so!

No I think you may well be right; the Q Music people obviously thought so!

Yeah. They did.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Just finished rewatching Rush ahead of the upcoming Formula 1 season. I have to say if Hans Zimmer gives us a similar score I will be pumped. Loved the crescendos that score delivers.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I found this on youtube whilst browsing for Zimmer NTTD cues. Its fan made but really bloody good, especially in the second half.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Mallory wrote: »
    I found this on youtube whilst browsing for Zimmer NTTD cues. Its fan made but really bloody good, especially in the second half.

That was excellent. I think I prefer it to the original to be honest.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's very nice, although it really is way too long for a gunbarrel now! :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I was thinking that the gunbarrel would have to be in slo-mo for it to fit.

Recently, I came across with this one. I don't know when it was recorded, but the two working together suggests something for a certain film we're all waiting for...

Unless it's some sort of improvisation
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España

• brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    edited July 2021 Posts: 1,400
    deleted
    edited July 2021 Posts: 4,247

I don't know if this have been posted before. I don't know if it's from the actual score though or fan-made. But it's so good. Especially towards the end. From 01:41 there are subtle hints of the Bond theme from Barry's TLD.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It says it's fanmade and based on the podcast bits: he seems to be willing it to turn into You Know My Name at several points! :)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I don't know if this have been posted before. I don't know if it's from the actual score though or fan-made. But it's so good. Especially towards the end. From 01:41 there are subtle hints of the Bond theme from Barry's TLD.

Its good fan made or real.

I was listening to one of Zimmer's concerts the other day, as much as anything I look forward to seeing/listening to Hans doing his Bond music live. Hans live events have such great energy.
    It says it's fanmade and based on the podcast bits: he seems to be willing it to turn into You Know My Name at several points! :)

Yeah. A bit of everything Bondian really, with the podcast bits.

Its good fan made or real.

I was listening to one of Zimmer's concerts the other day, as much as anything I look forward to seeing/listening to Hans doing his Bond music live. Hans live events have such great energy.

Aaaah! Yes! Zimmer's live events are always a joy to watch. It simply takes you to PLANET ZIMMER.
  • GadgetMan wrote: »

Pretty good stuff for fan-made! I really like how it feels almost like the Bond theme done for a high fantasy setting, as if it’s scoring Bond in Middle-earth or something (now there would be an odd mashup). I think it’s the whimsy in the woodwinds and the mystery and promise of adventure in the horns and strings. The part from 1:10-1:35 actually sounds rather similar to Danny Elfman’s Alice in Wonderland. Things get a bit more traditionally Bondian when the percussion kicks in.

Pretty good stuff for fan-made! I really like how it feels almost like the Bond theme done for a high fantasy setting, as if it’s scoring Bond in Middle-earth or something (now there would be an odd mashup). I think it’s the whimsy in the woodwinds and the mystery and promise of adventure in the horns and strings. The part from 1:10-1:35 actually sounds rather similar to Danny Elfman’s Alice in Wonderland. Things get a bit more traditionally Bondian when the percussion kicks in.

Yeah. The track's so good. Fans are turning into composers these days.

Yeah. The track's so good. Fans are turning into composers these days.
    It’s crap. It’s no different than what the REAL composers are doing these days with the series. I miss the good old days of a proper blasting of the Bond theme to knock your socks off! Tired of this sissy Bond theme hinting and toying that we’ve been getting forever now.