Celebrating 10 Years of MI6 Community (2011 - 2021)!

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
I believe it was on 1 March 2011 that MI6 Community was formed out of the old Keeping the British End Up (KTBEU) forum that preceded it. The earliest memberships recorded here date from 1 March 2011 so presumably that was the date of the switchover to the new forum. MI6 as a website actually dates back to 1998, making it the oldest of the Bond news websites.

I myself only joined MI6 Community in December 2012 so I wasn't a member of the old KTBEU forum or there for the changeover to the new current forum in March 2011. Still, I feel it's right that we acknowledge this milestone of 10 years of MI6 Community with this thread. Here's to the next 10 years of MI6 Community!

In this thread members can reminisce about joining MI6 Community, about the changeover if you remember it and about what this Community means to you the members.

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I just wanna say that KTBEU reminds me of a US radio station from the 70s.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2021 Posts: 17,727
    I just wanna say that KTBEU reminds me of a US radio station from the 70s.

Well I suppose the line does come from a 1970s Bond film so that fits nicely.

As I said above I wasn't a member of MI6 back then (though I do remember the MI6 HQ site and the John Gardner interviews they had there in 2004). I was instead posting on CBn back in those days before I finally saw the light and joined here. :)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Congratulations to MI6 on Ten Happy and glorious years <:-P
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ten years... Tempus fugit.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Ten years... Tempus fugit.

Nothing could be as painful as reading my posts. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, crazy to realize it's been 10 years for me already on this site. Insane how the months and years disappear like that. Happy Anniversary, MI6!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Wow I joined January 2012 I did not realise the site was only months old, I was on AJB back in my University days before here.

I may have looked at the early version of this site years ago though never joined up.

Happy 10th Anniversary MI6 Community.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It is amazing how quickly time goes by, I joined in 2014. Seems so long ago
    in different times..... Didn't have to wear a mask, could get a drink in a pub,
    and you could even give a loved one a hug.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    With the forum turning 10, that means I have been here nine years as I joined almost exactly a year after its re-creation. Many happy returns.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    How time flies. I joined the old KTBEU forums back in the early Craig years. Must have been 2007.

I remember the transition to these forums very well. It wasn't met with enthusiasm by everyone, but our passion for Bond prevailed and here we still are ten years on, discussing our favourite film series on one of the friendliest forums around.

I've had many great discussions on here and I'm sure many more will follow. Looking back with fondness and looking forward with much gusto. Many congrats, MI6 Community!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I joined KTBEU the day Daniel Craig was announced as the new James Bond. It was a great time for Bond fans. Or so I believe. So much to discuss, so many topics, a new Bond film to enjoy. The detractors, those of us who were willing to give Daniel a chance. And then we saw CR and for many of us it was a brilliant movie. Over the years many friends were made. Then the transition to MI6 Community in 2011. Some stayed, some left. The inevitability of change. The spirit of the old forum remained, but with new members. But the heart of everything remained.
    New friendships have been built, new members come and go, but we continue as a community.
    It’s been a fun ten years. Here’s to the next ten.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Oh my, how time flies. I remember that I was really shocked the day the forums changed, mostly because it happened so suddenly. Then it was a while where I was a bit distraught that the content on the old forum was gone. For me personally it was like three years worth of posts gone.
    But I think that this "new" (I don't think that's the right term anymore) has grown on me steadily over the years and is nowadays the perfect community for Bondfans. So I hope and think that this iteration will live on for many years to come!
    I am a relative latecomer, having joined the MI6 Community in 2013. The following year I started my first topic and have been polluting the board ever since. Part of why I joined was the perception that MI6 was larger, with more active members, than the other Bond boards I'd participated in. I now realize that MI6 is not only the biggest Bond board but also the best. Better than the best! I'll let Sensational Sherri and Randy Savage expound on that phrase:

May this Board continue being better than the best for another 10 years, if not longer. Heck, the internet is here to stay, so why not another 100 at least?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Happy Anniversary MI6 Community! <:-P

A great place up until October '11, then it went off the rails.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Oh my days, it's been 10 years already? I have clocked up enough mileage to be able to remember KTBEU. I joined in the tail end of July '05, the 30th I believe.

It was unfortunate that there was a lot of unpleasantness, but the changeover showed the character of those posting, especially those that stuck around to help rebuild the forum.
    Oh my days, it's been 10 years already? I have clocked up enough mileage to be able to remember KTBEU. I joined in the tail end of July '05, the 30th I believe.

It was unfortunate that there was a lot of unpleasantness, but the changeover showed the character of those posting, especially those that stuck around to help rebuild the forum.

Yes, and ultimately success speaks for itself, doesn't it? MI6 is still going strong after 10 years and even some of those who left in 2011 came back in to the fold which has been nice to see. Of course all the time there have been new members who have joined since the changeover. They also are the lifeblood of the forum along with the Old Guard who were there from the start.

MI6 Community continues to go from strength to strength. Ultimately it is the members and what they bring to the table as individual Bond fans that keep this place alive and alight with discussion and the sharing of ideas in often eloquent form.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I can’t believe it’s been 10 years already. I remember when the change happened, it was a strange time because KTBEU and the original MI6 website went dark for a few days before coming back with a new address.
    A safe house for Bond a maniacs!!!!!! Long may it continue!!!! \:D/ <:-P :-bd
    I remember the days when our parent forum, KTBEU, was going strong. Then the Community was born. And to be frank, I love this forum. It looks beautiful and is inhabited by wonderful people. Those who couldn't handle the change fled like cowards; the brave stayed and built a warm home for Bond fans. I am proud to be at your service as a mod.
    I love this forum especially after what was going on both in my life and on a different bond site
    I remember being on the old forum. I had a different username and didn't post quite as much. 2006 was an interesting time to be a Bond fan in an internet community. I believe the other Bond forum was on commanderbond.net. Haven't see that site in years.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I remember being on the old forum. I had a different username .
    Was it @ToTheLeft ?
    I remember the days when our parent forum, KTBEU, was going strong. Then the Community was born. And to be frank, I love this forum. It looks beautiful and is inhabited by wonderful people. Those who couldn't handle the change fled like cowards; the brave stayed and built a warm home for Bond fans. I am proud to be at your service as a mod.

I was a member of the old forums for maybe an hour, if that, before getting an unwelcome vibe (and clearly not knowing how forums worked at the time) and bailing. Glad I stuck it out with this new one.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I was a member of the old forums for maybe an hour, if that, before getting an unwelcome vibe (and clearly not knowing how forums worked at the time) and bailing. Glad I stuck it out with this new one.

I had a bad experience in the old forum too. One of my first posts dealt with DAD. I tried to convince people (around 2005) that DAD wasn't quite the abysmal thing it was made out to be, and was flogged out of the thread--the wounds and bruises are still aching (twice as bad when it is cold...). But I pushed through, and now I am looking at 16 years of membership!

I had a bad experience in the old forum too. One of my first posts dealt with DAD. I tried to convince people (around 2005) that DAD wasn't quite the abysmal thing it was made out to be, and was flogged out of the thread--the wounds and bruises are still aching (twice as bad when it is cold...). But I pushed through, and now I am looking at 16 years of membership!

That's what makes you a good man, Dimi, as I'm always trying to do the same! Good on you, shame others weren't willing to have a semi-serious discussion and debate about it, at least, as the film certainly warrants one.
    My years here have taught me that
    1) the new Bond film incites ego-bruising debates;
    2) diverts the crowd;
    3) is carefully being re-evaluated one or two films later. 😉

That's what makes you a good man, Dimi, as I'm always trying to do the same! Good on you, shame others weren't willing to have a semi-serious discussion and debate about it, at least, as the film certainly warrants one.

Let's continue to fight the good fight, @Creasy47!
    That we shall, @DarthDimi! I'm all in.
    Was it @ToTheLeft ?

You could be Right.
    Was it @ToTheLeft ?

Haha! No, It was Mr Somerset. I logged out and couldn't get back in so I just rejoined later. By then the forum had changed.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Was it @ToTheLeft ?

Haha! No, It was Mr Somerset. I logged out and couldn't get back in so I just rejoined later. By then the forum had changed.

I remember that username. But then the gene therapy kicked in I suppose. It was an interesting time, with that clan of Mr. Brown and Erica Ambler beeing disgruntled and leaving to their own obscure forum where they could slaughter any newcomer.