Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    As someone who watched TNG religiously when it originally aired I am very happy to see a certain character return.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm one of those who didn't like Picard, I stopped watching after the third episode.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2021 Posts: 23,327
    I'm one of those who didn't like Picard, I stopped watching after the third episode.

It has a lot of issues and aspects of the final episode I completely ignore. Picard and Data had some good scenes and one scene that is considerably better than anything else in the show which made it worthwhile for me.

Picard is not the Trek I want though it has moments.

Bottom line is we are never likely to get shows like ToS, TNG and DS9 ever again great thing is we can just watch the Boxsets.

Trek writers in recent years just don't get Trek at all, some of the decisions made in STD and Picard illustrate that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    They've announced a new movie is coming in 2023.
    mtm wrote: »

Have they said who is directing or producing?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Have they said who is directing or producing?

No, nothing at all like that. So I wouldn’t expect to actually see a film on that date.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/paramount-studios-announces-new-star-trek-movie-release-date
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Abrams is producing, so it’ll likely be set in Kelvinverse.

My bet is it’ll be Kelvin TNG.
    Recently picked up the Blu-ray Box set of Original cast Movies. I'll be working my way through them, and looking through the " Extras"
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2021 Posts: 14,949
    Recently picked up the Blu-ray Box set of Original cast Movies. I'll be working my way through them, and looking through the " Extras"

I think they're a cracking set of films. Even the worst (5!) is still enjoyable. For me the least enjoyable is probably the first one because it's a bit boring, but it's still got a bit of style about it.
    @mtm I agree, the first is a bit of a chore to sit through. Thankfully they got the old magic back with The Wrath of Khan.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2021 Posts: 14,949
    Yeah you can't really go too far wrong with anything with the red tunics in! :)
    I only found out recently that Khan is set 12 years after Motion Picture, did you know that? Only made three years later, I think.
    Struggling my way through STD Season 3, this has devolved into the lowest point in Star Trek, the Terra Firma two parter was abysmal and shoehorning something from one of my all time favourite ToS episodes was criminal.
    @mtm No I didn't know that, I always assumed it simply followed on. One thing I did find amazing ( as I'd never noticed in all the years watching Star Trek ) is that James Doohan, was missing the middle finger of his right had. He lost it during the war.
    I love The Motion Picture amazing film, my joint favourite with The Wrath of Khan. I am happy to get immersed in the journey and philosophical musings of TMP. I rank TMP highly amongst films like 2001: A Space Odyssey and Silent Running, Douglas Trumbell was involved in all of these films.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I'll readily admit the special effects on The Motion Picture are " "Out of this world " I found the story to rather plod along, I think many fans were expecting instead of the serious tone, the more light touch and humour of the original series. Which they switched to afterwards. As always there are no right or wrong opinions, simply what we like or don't like.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @mtm No I didn't know that, I always assumed it simply followed on. One thing I did find amazing ( as I'd never noticed in all the years watching Star Trek ) is that James Doohan, was missing the middle finger of his right had. He lost it during the war.

Wow I did not know that. I will look out for that the next time!

A bit like Telly Savalas having a shortened finger too: it's right there on screen in OHMSS but I never quite twigged it!
    edited May 2021 Posts: 13,384
    @mtm I once worked with a guy for months then during a chat he mentioned he had six fingers on one hand, which he showed me .... I'd never noticed.
    They used to hide it in the series as I think he was conscious of it but in the film The Final Frontier ( I think, I'm no expert ) He and Uhura are having a snack on the bridge and you can see him holding the packet of crisps or something.
    I'll have to watch OHMSS again as I too have never noticed
    edited May 2021 Posts: 23,327
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns I'll readily admit the special effects on The Motion Picture are " "Out of this world " I found the story to rather plod along, I think many fans were expecting instead of the serious tone, the more light touch and humour of the original series. Which they switched to afterwards. As always there are no right or wrong opinions, simply what we like or don't like.

The Directors Cut of The Motion Picture with the added new Special Effects (Vulcan and V'ger look fantastic) is the best version IMO, and has better pacing. The good thing about the first Six Trek films is they all offer something different.

There was talk a few years ago of a 4K remaster of ST: TMP Directors Cut which woukd involve redoing the newly added SD visual effects, though nothing has materialised yet, I really hope it happens. The Enterprise in Dry Dock in 4K will look even more amazing.

I found this on YouTube some time ago it's pretty good...

I love the effect thats added at 02:03
    I'm a fan of 4K, some films do look amazing and I'd say The motion picture would look fantastic.
    Yeah you can't really go too far wrong with anything with the red tunics in! :)
    I only found out recently that Khan is set 12 years after Motion Picture, did you know that? Only made three years later, I think.

Yeah. The conceit was that TMP was set only two and half years after the five year mission. Shatner felt comfortable acting as if he was still in his 30s when in reality he was 47. With TWOK, Nick Meyer wanted to emphasize the aging of the characters so that meant jumping 12 years, having Shatner play closer to his own age at 50.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,327
    Finally finished Discovery Season 3 only took almost a year for me to get through it. What a chore that was, the first two seasons and Picard are good in comparison.

Season 3 is over stuffed with BS plot armour, the acting, dialogue and plot is cringe worthy bad. The money spent on this show it should be much better than this utter garbage.

By the end of the season Burnham's exploits are so ridiculous you could pit her against Superman or Thanos and she would be victorious.
    I tred the first two seasons of Discovery then stopped watching and only made it through a few episodes of Picard.
    I tred the first two seasons of Discovery then stopped watching and only made it through a few episodes of Picard.

I am a stubborn Trek fan and keep watching hoping it will improve, Season 3 Discovery is not science fiction at all by the end its just fantasy. the writers just make any old $#!% up.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2021 Posts: 14,949
    Yes I got a bit tired in S3- the climax in particular was really dull I thought. It's a shame because I thought the season started really well when it was just her and Book on their own, and he was pretty charismatic and fun.

She is just so pious, and her 'I am sad/determined' face does grate after she pulls it for the twentieth time in an episode.

I was also quite excited for a series set in the far future, but it turns out not much changes.
    The worst insult is they finish the finale of Season 3 with a Gene Roddenbury quote on screen then play the TOS theme and as the credits roll, bloody clueless.

The early episodes of Season 3 was intriguing as there were possibilities in which it could go, then it fell of a cliff.
    I thought it was a far more coherent season than the first two, but still far from the better years of Trek. As far as the Paramount+ era of Trek goes, LOWER DECKS is by far the only show I thoroughly enjoy as much as TOS/TNG/DS9.

I’m revisiting the first season Enterprise, and yikes… I like Scott Bakula, but Captain Archer comes off like a dumb meathead for most of the writing. The worst was “Strange New Worlds” where everything wrong happens because he was too stubborn to listen to T’Pol’s advice and the show never really calls him out on it.
    Star Trek: First Contact 25th Anniversary | First Contact Day | Paramount+

Sir Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard), Director Jonathan Frakes (William Riker), Brent Spiner (Data), and Alice Krige (the Borg Queen) share on-set memories of Star Trek: First Contact.

Just found this, its a good watch.

---

I am currently watching TOS Season 2, I was thinking of watching the last two seasons of Enterprise, the first two seasons never really grabbed me. I may consider watching a few key episodes from earlier seasons.
    Picard Season 2 Teaser

John de Lancie looks great!
    TheHDRoom: Playmobil Star Trek Enterprise NCC-1701 Playset is Massive: Pre-Order Live.
    https://www.thehdroom.com/offbeat/playmobil-star-trek-enterprise-ncc-1701-playset-is-massive-pre-order-live-141194/