007 heading to streaming? Amazon buys MGM for $8.45 billion!

Comments

TripAces wrote: »

Good break down of what Amazon have acquired.

Interesting. As a collector of Physical media, this news concerned me. I'm still sceptical to be honest.

I am on the flipside, getting rid of all my physical media. I have ripped all of my Bond DVDs, including all of the "extras." I have also ripped most of my other movies, too, and converted them to MP4s--quality is top notch. (There is a way to do this through Handbrake, but I won't tell.) In the trash those discs have gone. I have streamlined and love it.

I keep everything on a server (Plex) through which I can access and stream all of my collection from anywhere.

You have no soul.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Interesting. As a collector of Physical media, this news concerned me. I'm still sceptical to be honest.

I am on the flipside, getting rid of all my physical media. I have ripped all of my Bond DVDs, including all of the "extras." I have also ripped most of my other movies, too, and converted them to MP4s--quality is top notch. (There is a way to do this through Handbrake, but I won't tell.) In the trash those discs have gone. I have streamlined and love it.

I keep everything on a server (Plex) through which I can access and stream all of my collection from anywhere.

You have no soul.

I love not having to drag discs all over the place. ;-)
  • TripAces wrote: »

You have no soul.

I love not having to drag discs all over the place. ;-)

Do you also like not having to drag a soul all over the place?
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 2,895
    I am on the flipside, getting rid of all my physical media. I have ripped all of my Bond DVDs, including all of the "extras." I have also ripped most of my other movies, too, and converted them to MP4s--quality is top notch.

Getting rid of DVDs is a good idea...if you replace them with Blu-rays. Much better visual quality and less risk of file corruption or loss through server failure.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I’ve seen them enough times now that I can stream the entire series in 5K in my head on demand.

How much do you charge yourself?
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 121
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I never really understood the attraction to Danny Boyle for Bond. Don't get me wrong he's a talented director, make no mistake about it, but I could never picture him for Bond.
    If I'm being honest, I was much more excited when Cary was announced because he seemed to understand what makes Bond tick, perhaps more so than Boyle

Still would love to see his script for Bond 25.

As would I

As far as I am concerned, the release/leak of the Boyle/Hodge Bond script will be the most exciting event in the history of James Bond since the casting of Craig in 2005.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Mr_Beach wrote: »
    I never really understood the attraction to Danny Boyle for Bond. Don't get me wrong he's a talented director, make no mistake about it, but I could never picture him for Bond.
    If I'm being honest, I was much more excited when Cary was announced because he seemed to understand what makes Bond tick, perhaps more so than Boyle

As would I

As far as I am concerned, the release/leak of the Boyle/Hodge Bond script will be the most exciting event in the history of James Bond since the casting of Craig in 2005.

I do not want it quite that bad but am very interested in what Boyles idea was. I imagine something edgy and raw without the typical Bond production polish which was probably why there were creative differences. EON should leak it to the McClory estate and let them make the movie, create the needed distance from the Bond brand but still get the film out there. Maybe even craig could hang up his holster with EON and move on to that version of Bond.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    There’s always a chance that they did actually like the Boyle/Hodge script, but just didn’t feel it was right for Craig’s final film — which is meant to tie up loose ends and be a massive, high stakes type of Bond.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I was so delighted when Boyle left the production. Nothing against him, but "Oh, I have a GREAT idea for a Bond movie" is not a good sign.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2021 Posts: 17,787

As would I

I do not want it quite that bad but am very interested in what Boyles idea was. I imagine something edgy and raw without the typical Bond production polish which was probably why there were creative differences. EON should leak it to the McClory estate and let them make the movie, create the needed distance from the Bond brand but still get the film out there. Maybe even craig could hang up his holster with EON and move on to that version of Bond.

Given the amount of bad blood there's been between McClory and Eon going back 60 years now I can't see them leaking a film script they might very well cannibalise and use parts of in a future Bond film. That's not to mention the fact that the McClory estate now have no claim to the James Bond character, Blofeld, SPECTRE or the Thunderball novel as a result of the deal Eon did to buy back that novel and its associated film rights some time ago. It was only through this deal that they were able to attain the rights to use Blofeld and SPECTRE in the last film Spectre (2015). I also can't see Daniel Craig moving over to another production team against the wishes of Eon and Barbara Broccoli. He'd see that as being disloyal to them and he's been paid very handsomely as an official Bond so there's no incentive there for him to jeopardise that which he's built up over the last 15 years. So it's a non-starter on every level and not something I'm sure I'd want to see even if it was legally allowed which of course it isn't.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Dragonpol wrote: »

As would I

Given the amount of bad blood there's been between McClory and Eon going back 60 years now I can't see them leaking a film script they might very well cannibalise and use parts of in a future Bond film. That's not to mention the fact that the McClory estate now have no claim to the James Bond character, Blofeld, SPECTRE or the Thunderball novel as a result of the deal Eon did to buy back that novel and its associated film rights some time ago. It was only through this deal that they were able to attain the rights to use Blofeld and SPECTRE in the last film Spectre (2015). I also can't see Daniel Craig moving over to another production team against the wishes of Eon and Barbara Broccoli. He'd see that as being disloyal to them and he's been paid very handsomely as an official Bond so there's no incentive there for him to jeopardise that which he's built up over the last 15 years. So it's a non-starter on every level and not something I'm sure I'd want to see even if it was legally allowed which of course it isn't.

I apologize if it wasnt clear. The plan I outlined was meant to be tongue in cheek. I know that it is not the right way to proceed at all.

As would I

I apologize if it wasnt clear. The plan I outlined was meant to be tongue in cheek. I know that it is not the right way to proceed at all.

Ah, I see. I didn't get the subtlety of your post I'm afraid but I just thought it sounded such a bad idea that I couldn't let it pass!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,961

As would I

It needs to be a musical! Starring Hugh Jackman! With a special duet of Dame Shirley Bassey and Lulu!
    edited June 2021 Posts: 17,787
    echo wrote: »

As would I

It needs to be a musical! Starring Hugh Jackman! With a special duet of Dame Shirley Bassey and Lulu!

Jerry Springer/ James Bond: The Opera with Kevin McClory as the Devil himself. 😈 >:)
    I love the physical media so i hope it continues?!!!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    How Will Amazon Uncage Its New Lion as the Tech Giant Goes Hollywood?
    https://variety.com/2021/film/entertainment-industry/amazon-mgm-jeff-bezos-jeff-blackburn-1234986130/
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I think one thing that does actually get me excited is Amazon's willingness to put in as much financing as they like, and sometimes quite a lot, into worthy content...

For example, the new Wheel of Time series, set to release its first season later in the year is estimated to have around a $10 million budget in its first season, and a second season has already been greenlit by the studio. Also, the new Lord of the Rings series that Amazon is making? The budget for the first season is $465 million, the most expensive season of television ever produced...

...so as well as being certain that EON will still have the same amount of control they have now, it's nice to know that the future of James Bond is (seemingly for now) very bright and very expensive, which I know doesn't even speak to the quality of the films, but it (to me) does speak to the talent they'll be still able to get, and the bars they'll still be able to raise.
    Interesting how John Logan is afraid of Bind becoming just another '' franchise '' for Amazon.Heaven forbid a Bond film have lots of product placement in it,video games,novels,drawn out story arcs over multiple films (etc).
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 12,837
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Interesting how John Logan is afraid of Bind becoming just another '' franchise '' for Amazon.Heaven forbid a Bond film have lots of product placement in it,video games,novels,drawn out story arcs over multiple films (etc).

I think it’s a valid concern to be fair. Since the Craig era began EON’s strategy for the brand’s survival seems to be turning it into a classy, awards season sort of blockbuster. They’ve gradually been heading that way since the Brosnan era ended (the new game for example is the first in almost a decade, and it’s being made by a team with a brilliant track record and proven experience in the genre, rather than the shoot em up developers they had before). I’m sure plenty of execs would’ve happily abandoned that for the misguided idea of a Bond “universe” or something.

So, I get where he’s coming from, but I do agree he’s worrying over nothing. EON still have full control, the films are still going to release at the cinema, and Amazon have a pretty decent track record with films. I don’t think anything’s going to change at all really.

The only big studio I’d be really worried about getting Bond is Disney, because of how homogenised their films are and their production line, milk it dry approach. So, I’m pretty happy with the Amazon deal. MGM’s financial trouble had me really worried I’d see Bond get the Marvel treatment in my lifetime. Glad we seem to be avoiding that.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited June 2021 Posts: 5,869
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    The only big studio I’d be really worried about getting Bond is Disney, because of how homogenised their films are and their production line, milk it dry approach. So, I’m pretty happy with the Amazon deal. MGM’s financial trouble had me really worried I’d see Bond get the Marvel treatment in my lifetime. Glad we seem to be avoiding that.
    +1
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The only big studio I’d be really worried about getting Bond is Disney, because of how homogenised their films are and their production line, milk it dry approach.

Although I must admit I probably could have taken a little more milking of Indiana Jones than one film after nine years! :D
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Disney would have totally blocked that Silva scene from being shot.
  • edited June 2021 Posts: 2,895
    Logan's point about Amazon's data-analytic approach is worth noting though. The company does put its foot down in that area, even when it's hands-off in others. An example would be The Grand Tour--Amazon gave the team creative freedom during its first three seasons, but then said its data indicated that audiences preferred the travel specials rather than the standard studio-set episodes, so from now on all the episodes would have to be specials.

I can imagine a scenario in the future where Amazon has given the team free reign until a Bond film under-performs. Then the charts and figures are brought out, showing which Bond films and parts of Bond films were watched more than others. Directives are then gently but firmly given.

Also, Amazon will almost certainly feel it should have a say in the casting of the new Bond (just as Sony did with Brosnan). EON has never had complete creative control over the films--the leaked Sony documents prove that. If a studio controls much your funding, it has ways of controlling you.

I'm not saying all this to raise alarm. It's quite possible Amazon that prove hands-off, given its history. It's also possible that when it does interfere, it will significantly interfere, as its history also shows.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I want a little hands on if it leads to regular output.

Yes, a guiding hand occasionally on getting releases out a little faster wouldn't do any harm I don't think. As long as Eon remain in creative and quality control it should be alright.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Revelator wrote: »
    Logan's point about Amazon's data-analytic approach is worth noting though. The company does put its foot down in that area, even when it's hands-off in others. An example would be The Grand Tour--Amazon gave the team creative freedom during its first three seasons, but then said its data indicated that audiences preferred the travel specials rather than the standard studio-set episodes, so from now on all the episodes would have to be specials.

I can imagine a scenario in the future where Amazon has given the team free reign until a Bond film under-performs. Then the charts and figures are brought out, showing which Bond films and parts of Bond films were watched more than others. Directives are then gently but firmly given.

Also, Amazon will almost certainly feel it should have a say in the casting of the new Bond (just as Sony did with Brosnan). EON has never had complete creative control over the films--the leaked Sony documents prove that. If a studio controls much your funding, it has ways of controlling you.

I'm not saying all this to raise alarm. It's quite possible Amazon that prove hands-off, given its history. It's also possible that when it does interfere, it will significantly interfere, as its history also shows.

I get your point, but I think the difference there is that The Grand Tour is TV and it was developed specifically to stream on Amazon prime. That's a different beast. But you might be right about Amazon wanting/having a say on the next Bond. Maybe I am naive, but as long as EON is making Amazon $, and they will, Amazon will stay out of things.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it’s totally fair enough they have some input, especially into the casting of the lead. It’s their money that Eon are playing with, after all: wouldn’t you want to have a little say if you were stumping up hundreds of millions of dollars? I’m sure they’ll mostly leave them alone to do what they do best but you don’t want to find out what they spent your money on when you first sit down in the cinema on the premiere night! :)
    mtm wrote: »
    I think it’s totally fair enough they have some input, especially into the casting of the lead. It’s their money that Eon are playing with, after all: wouldn’t you want to have a little say if you were stumping up hundreds of millions of dollars? I’m sure they’ll mostly leave them alone to do what they do best but you don’t want to find out what they spent your money on when you first sit down in the cinema on the premiere night! :)

Yes, agreed. That's just how big business works and they don't come much bigger than a company like Amazon. Of course as we know money talks and I'm sure that strings of some nature come attached to a huge (Amazonian even) outlay of money such as a modern Bond film budget would require. Cold hard cash of that amount isn't handed over unconditionally.

It's interesting that Logan makes a point of patting himself on the back for that scene, when Paul Haggis and Martin Campbell had already used a subtly gay villain (Le Chiffre) in CR. The torture scene in that film is far more daring than anything in SKYFALL.

Plus, after having written that intro as a kind of seduction scene, Logan then did... absolutely nothing with Silva's sexuality for the remainder of the script. The character becomes an asexual Joker/Hannibal Lecter hybrid.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2021 Posts: 8,026
    Escalus5 wrote: »

It's interesting that Logan makes a point of patting himself on the back for that scene, when Paul Haggis and Martin Campbell had already used a subtly gay villain (Le Chiffre) in CR. The torture scene in that film is far more daring than anything in SKYFALL.

Plus, after having written that intro as a kind of seduction scene, Logan then did... absolutely nothing with Silva's sexuality for the remainder of the script. The character becomes an asexual Joker/Hannibal Lecter hybrid.

Gay villains weren't exactly a new concept for the series before CR, either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes that was a really nice moment.

Agreed. I thought it was a bit of a shame that went nowhere. Not that a character's sexuality has to go anywhere I guess, but we weren't even sure if Silva was just pretending in an attempt to unsettle Bond (which would be a bit weird: he's a hired killer, not likely to get upset because a guy comes onto him, but hey).