Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

For a long time I'd have said LALD but, call me crazy, I'm going for MR.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a massive fan of that film either but the shots of Rio, Michael Lonsdale, Flight into Space and the training simulation scene give it the edge (for me).

As I mentioned a few weeks back I've also grown a new appreciation for Shirley Bassett's song as I was listening to it while having my teeth drilled by the dentist.
    Close but will have to go with MR.

List of rating.
    MR - 10
    LaLD - 11
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Live and Let Die

Moore is not as super comfortable as he was in MR; it’s very dated; no John Barry score and it has Sherriff Bloody Pepper, but I still like LALD!

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I do want to say both films have excellent songs!
    MR is good fun and is visually very good but LALD is just an all round better film for me.
    No strong feelings either way. MR because I enjoy it more.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    For a long time I'd have said LALD but, call me crazy, I'm going for MR.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a massive fan of that film either but the shots of Rio, Michael Lonsdale, Flight into Space and the training simulation scene give it the edge (for me).

As I mentioned a few weeks back I've also grown a new appreciation for Shirley Bassett's song as I was listening to it while having my teeth drilled by the dentist.

Nice BAIN. I used to not be a fan of the MR title track. But it's really grown on me the more I hear it. It's now easily a top 3 Bond track for me. It's definitely a grower. And what better way to send you off in the a peaceful bliss while sitting in a dentists chair awaiting the drill, then Ms. Bassey and her sultry voice.
  • Much as I beef about the movie, the soundtrack is another great one from Barry, truly one of the saving graces along with the locations and Emily Bolton. The title track lyrics are about finding your twin soul/soul mate, and it is exquisite. Right now I know I'd cry a river if I heard it because of how much I miss Mrs. Sir Henry, hopefully one day :((
    My condolences SirHenryLeeChaChing. Moonraker is a beautiful song and certainly brings about really deep feelings. Hopefully the song can bring you comfort. Best.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Live and Let Die
    Live and Let Die
    It's pretty clear that Live and Let Die is our winner, haha.

All right, next round begins now!

You Only Live Twice vs. Tomorrow Never Dies
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Cool round @00Beast; this was one of my double bills during my last Bond-a-thon. I’ll have to go for Tomorrow Never Dies, for being pacy, sophisticated and oh so sleek.

You Only Live Twice

Superior Bond, Superior Villain, Superior Locations, Superior Score, Superior Title Track, Superior Bond Golden Age atmosphere, Superior Gadgets, Superior Supporting cast, Superior Bond girls all around, Superior Direction...did I miss anything? #:-S
    Tomorrow Never Dies

All right, time to see what's better about TND than YOLT
    Better 007: Check
    Better Soundtrack: Check
    Better Action: Check
    Better Villains: Check
    Better Gadgets: Check
    Better Girls: Neither are prize winners, but I still say Check because of Wai Lin
    Better Locations: Check

Well that about does it! TND wipes the floor with YOLT!
    00Beast wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies

All right, time to see what's better about TND than YOLT
    Better 007: Check
    Better Soundtrack: Check
    Better Action: Check
    Better Villains: Check
    Better Gadgets: Check
    Better Girls: Neither are prize winners, but I still say Check because of Wai Lin
    Better Locations: Check

Well that about does it! TND wipes the floor with YOLT!

I see that we will agree to disagree Sir
    @JBFan626: Hahaha, I thought we might, given your previous post!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Both firsts for me, and both amongst my favourites First Bond film, vs first Bond film on the big screen. Weighing up both films, i'd have to pick YOLT.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 3,494
    JBFan626 wrote:
    You Only Live Twice

Superior Bond, Superior Villain, Superior Locations, Superior Score, Superior Title Track, Superior Bond Golden Age atmosphere, Superior Gadgets, Superior Supporting cast, Superior Bond girls all around, Superior Direction...did I miss anything? #:-S

That about covers it I think.

YOLT for me as well.

• DB5DB5
    How can you vote against that captivating Barry/Sinatra theme? YOLT
    DB5 wrote:
    How can you vote against that captivating Barry/Sinatra theme? YOLT

Captivating you say? Sorry, but I can't stand the YOLT theme song. When I was putting the Bond theme songs onto my MP3 Player from a friend's CD, I purposefully left off YOLT!
    YOLT is superior on every conceivable front.

TND is Brosnan's best outing, so ranks 4th from bottom for me.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    TND - Brosnan's best IMHO, never really liked YOLT that much. Too far removed from Fleming's novel.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    TND.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Both are pretty out there in terms of plot. Both are pretty far removed from Fleming. Barry's music is better than Arnold's. Brosnan and Connery are both cool but neither test themselves in the acting department. Not a major fan of Carver but I didn't really like Pleasance as Blofeld either. I love TND and have a rollicking good time every time I watch it, but Ken Adam's Volcano set design makes YOLT the winner this time. It's very close though.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Man this is a tough one for me. I think I'm going with You Only Live Twice.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2012 Posts: 12,459
    TND for sure; I enjoy it a lot more than YOLT. Better overall film.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Actually this was somewhat a tougher choice for me. TND is something of a favourite of mine. Though it has plenty of faults.
    YOLT on the other hand used to be way down my ranking, untill I saw the light, and it jumped right up them.
    So after a little thought, I'm going to give it to the epic...YOLT
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Tomorrow Never Dies - just!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    YOLT.

Scenery:
    Japan>China