I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Just noticed, in the opening credits, that Roger Spottiswoode worked on the 1972 Steve McQueen film The Getaway.

Yes, he was an editor before being a Director. He is also credited as one of the scriptwriters of Walter Hill '48Hrs'!

Indeed
    zebrafish wrote: »
    In SF, M writes Bond's obituary. I have always wondered: What for and why?

James Bond is a Navy officer, a commander, but obituaries are published when people die that were known to some extent to the public. Since Bond is meant to be a secret agent, would he not be recognized instantly by his adversaries if he was a public figure, rather than, say, an executive from Universal Exports. He never wears a disguise, so people are likely to recognize him.

Another thought: If he was known in the public, then in what context? Did he have achievements as an officer, or was he known as an occasional playboy or gambler who made the headlines from time to time, as would make sense for Sean Connery's Bond? Craig's Bond does not seem to be the guy whose actions get covered by gossip magazines.

What are your thoughts, e.g. does the book-Bond stand in the limelight?

It wasn't the first time. YOLT did the same with the headline 'British naval officer murdered' or something like that that's next to a SPECTRE agent as he monitors Bond's "funeral." Of course, that was a ploy to allow him to operate more freely according to M.

I actually saw that prop at a Bond exhibit in Detroit several years ago.
  • zebrafish wrote: »

James Bond is a Navy officer, a commander, but obituaries are published when people die that were known to some extent to the public. Since Bond is meant to be a secret agent, would he not be recognized instantly by his adversaries if he was a public figure, rather than, say, an executive from Universal Exports. He never wears a disguise, so people are likely to recognize him.

Another thought: If he was known in the public, then in what context? Did he have achievements as an officer, or was he known as an occasional playboy or gambler who made the headlines from time to time, as would make sense for Sean Connery's Bond? Craig's Bond does not seem to be the guy whose actions get covered by gossip magazines.

The writing of the obituary is straight out of the YOLT novel. Fleming was quite playful with it, mentioning that some author was writing fiction based on Commander Bond's exploits.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I have the YOLT newspaper and SF obituary if you guys would be interested in reading them:

51109382856_0ddea6cdee_o.png
    QBranch wrote: »
    I have the YOLT newspaper and SF obituary if you guys would be interested in reading them:

Thanks for sharing, I did enjoy that. Out of curiosity, what is the date of the newspaper with the YOLT story?
    edited April 2021 Posts: 13,894
    My pleasure. The date is Saturday, July 9 1966.
    My pleasure. The date is Saturday, July 9 1966.

Thanks again. I was born in October 1966, so I was holding out hope just maybe it could've hit that mark.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    zebrafish wrote: »

It wasn't the first time. YOLT did the same with the headline 'British naval officer murdered' or something like that that's next to a SPECTRE agent as he monitors Bond's "funeral." Of course, that was a ploy to allow him to operate more freely according to M.

I actually saw that prop at a Bond exhibit in Detroit several years ago.

It didn't really amount to anything in YOLT though. It was a plot point used to make a shocking PTS, but it had close to zero bearing on the plot.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

If Bond “died” 20th October 2012, does that mean Skyfall takes place January 2013? #TimelineShennanigans
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I realized Guy Haines is also the name of the co-lead in Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train.
    Mallory wrote: »

If Bond “died” 20th October 2012, does that mean Skyfall takes place January 2013? #TimelineShennanigans
    Good point. And then, there's his boarding pass to Shanghai that says 2011! 8-}
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 2021 Posts: 14,931
    echo wrote: »
    I realized Guy Haines is also the name of the co-lead in Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train.

Never spotted that! :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2021 Posts: 4,554
    mtm wrote: »

Me neither, and I have seen Strangers on a Train dozens of times.

On a separate note...

I jusr relaized that Emile Locque, with this haircut and colored lenses, resembles Steve McQueen's Doc McCoy in the 1972 film, The Getaway.

37340a94e3a469ce9bbc4f0bb5386939.jpg
  • TripAces wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

Me neither, and I have seen Strangers on a Train dozens of times.

On a separate note...

I jusr relaized that Emile Locque, with this haircut and colored lenses, resembles Steve McQueen's Doc McCoy in the 1972 film, The Getaway.

Erm ... not really
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah his nose doesn't look anything like a banana.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited April 2021 Posts: 8,677
    There is a faint resemblance, but I must say I always thought that Locque was defined by his octagonal glasses and not much else.

On the other hand, I've always considered Daniel Craig to be very similar-looking to Steve McQueen.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I always thought the Identograph thing already kind of looked like Locque before Bond even started giving his description...!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    True, there is definitely a resemblance between Craig and McQueen.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    TripAces wrote: »

"And you've had your six."
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    True, there is definitely a resemblance between Craig and McQueen.

For sure. I watched Bullit again late last year and in some scenes the resemblance is uncanny. Not just the face but McQueen's physicality is similar to Craig's at times too.
    There's a biopic starring DC waiting to be made there.
  • Craig has to do a McQueen biopic, if ever someone was going to do it it would be him, there is a likeness there.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Was watching TND the other day...is that Sheryl Crow on the right TV screen at the end of the credits?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    When Craig was first cast and CR came out, there was a member on the IMDb board who went by the name of "Lady McQueen". She seemed to be the biggest fan of Steve's and went just about bonkers about Dan's resemblance to him. So this is not exactly a new discovery for me, nor can I claim it to be mine.
    Was watching TND the other day...is that Sheryl Crow on the right TV screen at the end of the credits?
    It's not her. I believe the four screens are images of the one girl - the same one seen just prior, with the diamonds around her neck.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I don't know if I've just noticed something!
    If I'm wrong please someone put me out of my bemusement because I've created a " it'll be the death of him" / "death of her" situation for myself.
    Right, here goes.
    In Live and Let Die just after Strutter is killed, Bond and Felix get out of the car to meet him just as his funeral procession goes by.
    Is Bond shoulder dancing to the music? Just for the briefest moment I think he is. Now I've 'seen' Bond doing the tiny shoulder shuffle to the beat I can't not see it!
    Anyone?
    He is, too! I always thought he was in good spirits here, but the little bop he does went unnoticed. Great spot.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Thank you for checking, I thought I was imagining it.
    I first saw LALD in 1987 and must have seen it a hundred times since and yet I've only just noticed this.
    It's very subtle, and Leiter's quick motion of stepping past Bond is perhaps what distracted me and others from ever seeing it.
  • edited April 2021 Posts: 1,469
    This has to do with a Bond actor rather than a Bond film, but Glyn Baker, seen in the PTS of TLD, the blond 002 who gets hit with the paintball and turns around with the perturbed look on his face...just found out he had earlier played Lieutenant Endicott, the Imperial Officer seen at the beginning of Return of the Jedi and who says, "Inform the commander that Lord Vader's shuttle has arrived", but I think he was overdubbed on that.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    This has to do with a Bond actor rather than a Bond film, but Glyn Baker, seen in the PTS of TLD, the blond 002 who gets hit with the paintball and turns around with the perturbed look on his face...just found out he had earlier played Lieutenant Endicott, the Imperial Officer seen at the beginning of Return of the Jedi and who says, "Inform the commander that Lord Vader's shuttle has arrived", but I think he was overdubbed on that.

Nice pickup. I wonder if his character worked with Julian Glover's AT-AT commander at some point.