No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited March 2021 Posts: 2,032
    mtm wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »
    @battleshipgreygt

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/no-time-to-die-opening-scene-fukunaga-it-movie-1234592157/

However, with the opening scene, Fukunaga bucks tradition in every way: It’s slow-paced, visually arresting, subtitled with dialogue in French, and entirely Bond-free.”

Now that that's confirmed, we still don't know whether the Matera sequence precedes or follows the title sequence. If Matera immediately follows Norway, that would be a 20+ minute PTS!

The song wouldnt make much sense if it was before the Matera section, which I suspect the song heavily references, given that is was Eilish was given to work with.

Plus Matera is set some years before isn't it? (Isn't Craig's hair dyed a bit for those scenes? Did someone here spot that? I can't remember) So, like GoldenEye or DAD, the song seems a natural point to throw forward a few years.

It’s probably the most (i.e. longest) time periods in a single Bond film.

1992 (?) - Norway with Safin and Maddie
    2015 - Matera
    2020 - Jamaica and rest of the film.

Only others I can think of is GE (9 years), DAD (14 months), SF (3 months) between PTS and rest of the movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @battleshipgreygt

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/no-time-to-die-opening-scene-fukunaga-it-movie-1234592157/

However, with the opening scene, Fukunaga bucks tradition in every way: It’s slow-paced, visually arresting, subtitled with dialogue in French, and entirely Bond-free.”

Now that that's confirmed, we still don't know whether the Matera sequence precedes or follows the title sequence. If Matera immediately follows Norway, that would be a 20+ minute PTS!

The song wouldnt make much sense if it was before the Matera section, which I suspect the song heavily references, given that is was Eilish was given to work with.

Plus Matera is set some years before isn't it? (Isn't Craig's hair dyed a bit for those scenes? Did someone here spot that? I can't remember) So, like GoldenEye or DAD, the song seems a natural point to throw forward a few years.

2015 - Matera

Only others I can think of is GE (9 years), DAD (14 months), SF (3 months) between PTS and rest of the movie.

Yeah I can't think of any other ones that do flashbacks or anything. I guess the beginning of CR might be set a few months before the rest of the film but not much.

Unless you count those close-up shots of the eyes of little James Bond as a boy in the Skyfall titles! :)
    edited March 2021 Posts: 2,032
    @mtm Unless the movie explicitly says so, or a character makes reference to it, I usually assume the time between the PTS and the main movie is a day or two. Week at most. Or in the case of QoS, 5 mins. 😁

But then you are getting into a massive can of worms if you try and “reconcile time” within individual Bond films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Unless the movie explicitly says so, or a character makes reference to it, I usually assume the time between the PTS and the main movie is a day or two. Week at most. Or in the case of QoS, 5 mins. 😁

Heh! Yeah. Is that the one with the least amount of time between the pre and post-titles? :)

I guess something like FRWL or TMWTGG could have happened seconds before- there's no real way of knowing! :)
    Pretty sure it was confirmed in an interview last year by MGW that it will be the longest PTS of the whole franchise, almost 25 mins....
  • I'm willing to wager that this will be where the title song begins
    b5bca9635523d322516fd88d73c57a11ca13c3c4.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I think it'll cut back to a shot of the DB5 falling apart in its parking space like a clown car, and then into the titles :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I'm willing to wager that this will be where the title song begins

Yep
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah, that looks like a potentially perfect transition shot, for sure.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    TripAces wrote: »
    I'm willing to wager that this will be where the title song begins

Yep
    With the passing train windows being the segue.

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    I think it'll cut back to a shot of the DB5 falling apart in its parking space like a clown car, and then into the titles :)

You mean right as Craig pulls up to a petrol station and goes “Fill her up please!” 😂

You mean right as Craig pulls up to a petrol station and goes “Fill her up please!” 😂

Bond walks away from the train.

“Well... now I am single and free”
    Burps, farts and scratches butt.
    Cut to titles.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes! I think you've nailed it.
  • Mallory wrote: »

Bond walks away from the train.

“Well... now I am single and free”
    Burps, farts and scratches butt.
    Cut to titles.

Yes! I think you've nailed it.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    If this doesn't happen, we riot.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited March 2021 Posts: 539
    @battleshipgreygt

2015 - Matera

More like 2013 for Matera. SP can't have taken place more than a few months after SF, so that means the rest of the film takes place in 2018/2019.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    @battleshipgreygt

2015 - Matera

More like 2013 for Matera. SP can't have taken place more than a few months after SF, so that means the rest of the film takes place in 2018/2019.

Is that because of Dame Judi M's message? Yes I guess that's a good point.
    I know there's personal effects from the remains of Skyfall but I guess they could have been held up for a couple of years potentially.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    unless skyfall took place in 2014

I’d be confident in stating SF is set in 2012. Silva present Bond with a bottle of “50 year old Macallen. A particular favourite of yours I understand”. It has 1962 clearly visible on the label. Ergo, set in 2012 😊

I’d be confident in stating SF is set in 2012. Silva present Bond with a bottle of “50 year old Macallen. A particular favourite of yours I understand”. It has 1962 clearly visible on the label. Ergo, set in 2012 😊

And 2012 was the Year of the Dragon...this was alluded to throughout
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    2012 on Bond's passports too.
    QBranch wrote: »
    2012 on Bond's passports too.

good point
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    There's also the DB5. I can't imagine it taking three years for Q to rebuild it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There's also the DB5. I can't imagine it taking three years for Q to rebuild it.

I think if he’s doing it on the side as a low priority that’s not too big an issue, but the way it’s spoken about in the dialogue does maybe suggest it was destroyed recently, yeah.
    The return of the DB5 should’ve been relegated to a background gag rather than actually restoring it and bringing it back. Kinda undermines its symbolic destruction in SF, but hey ho. The opening Matera chase in NTTD does look good though.

Also Q manages to fully rebuild the DB5 in the space of a week or so, which is optimistic.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I won't be surprised if the next Bond doesn't use the DB5 at all, throughout his era...I think EON might keep it for the 8th Bond actor, so the DB5 regains its mythic status again.
    As much as I love Aston Martin, I wouldnt be adverse to the next Bond actor and his films using a different car manufacturer. Maybe the return of Lotus? Or a McLaren. Keep it high end and British.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The return of the DB5 should’ve been relegated to a background gag rather than actually restoring it and bringing it back. Kinda undermines its symbolic destruction in SF, but hey ho. The opening Matera chase in NTTD does look good though.

Also Q manages to fully rebuild the DB5 in the space of a week or so, which is optimistic.

Is it clear how long he's been away for at the end?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Maybe I'm in the minority with this, but the year in which the current Bond film takes place hasn't been an issue for me. It doesn't add anything to the story, If in GE I'm told Bond and Caroline driving in Monaco in the DB5 is nine years after the events of the pts, then...ok.
    I'm an often easily pleased Bond fan in many respects.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Same here @Benny. I expect to see NTTD prop documents with the 2019 date.