Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Based on this trailer, one of Heughan's qualities being that he looks much younger than he really is. While he is 40, he seems to be ten years younger. Ideally, I would like the next Bond to be in his thirties to play the role for a decade, but Heughan himself seems to break free from this age barrier and if he continues to still look so young in five years, he might be a good choice.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Oh man, that looks like an all-time forgettable B-movie. What a cast :D

To open up a whole can of worms: Heughan, like Cavill, looks too chiseled and big for my taste. Just too much square jaw. More suited to an out and out shooting-action film like this than a more sophisticated Bond film. I'm not saying Craig (or any of the previous actors really) isn't an exceptionally good looking man, but these guys just stand out too much, I think. It would be the final step in the slow evolution of Bond from spy to commando soldier that has been going on since Moore left the role.

He does look a bit like a younger version of the way Luca Casalanguida draws Bond in the comics. But I never liked that rendition all that much for the aforementioned reasons.
    JamesBond-TheBody-001-Int%2B1.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's interesting, I would have said he's younger than that too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Bond looks like he's fallen into the coal cellar in that frame :)
    Not hearing of Sam Heighan. His looks are okay. Maybe he is to be the new Gerald Butler. Action movie grade B star. Hahaha.

Yes I have a feeling you might be right there :) Mind you, I guess that's what Brosnan was doing in the mid-nineties before Bond turned up!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I was going to say this, Brosnan did a handful of this type of role, pre-Bond.
  • QsCatQsCat London

To open up a whole can of worms: Heughan, like Cavill, looks too chiseled and big for my taste. Just too much square jaw. More suited to an out and out shooting-action film like this than a more sophisticated Bond film. I'm not saying Craig (or any of the previous actors really) isn't an exceptionally good looking man, but these guys just stand out too much, I think. It would be the final step in the slow evolution of Bond from spy to commando soldier that has been going on since Moore left the role.

He does look a bit like a younger version of the way Luca Casalanguida draws Bond in the comics. But I never liked that rendition all that much for the aforementioned reasons.

Which comic is that? The art is better than Jason Master's
    Seeing this interview has solidified Harry Styles as my dark horse pick. It’s the first time that I’ve ever ever seen him interviewed ; he has a good, deep voice snd you can see his charm and also an intensity. He’s 27 , so he’ll be in his early 30’’s when the next film, hopefully, goes into production.
    The main portion of his interview is at 5:20

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Too many nipples.
    Too many nipples.

:))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Superfluous papilla?
    edited February 2021 Posts: 1,351
    QsCat wrote: »

That panel is from "The Body", specifically the first issue, which Casalanguida did the art for along with the last issue. All other issues from that run have different artists. But he feels to me like the most prolific artist in the Dynamite run having done Hammerhead and Kill Chain as well as issues in The Body and Reflections of Death and he is the artist for the upcoming Agent of SPRECTRE run that starts next Wednesday.

I like his art very much. Just his version of Bond always looks too much like Bruce Wayne to me. But that happens surprisingly often with Bond.
  • QsCatQsCat London

That panel is from "The Body", specifically the first issue, which Casalanguida did the art for along with the last issue. All other issues from that run have different artists. But he feels to me like the most prolific artist in the Dynamite run having done Hammerhead and Kill Chain as well as issues in The Body and Reflections of Death and he is the artist for the upcoming Agent of SPRECTRE run that starts next Wednesday.

I like his art very much. Just his version of Bond always looks too much like Bruce Wayne to me. But that happens surprisingly often with Bond.

Thanks

...and Christian Bale played one and was strongly considered for the other, interesting.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    ...and Nicholas Hoult was strongly considered for Batman before Pattinson took the role.

I've been watching The Great. Hoult is really good, though not a role that is going to make you say "now that's James Bond!"
    ...and Nicholas Hoult was strongly considered for Batman before Pattinson took the role.

... while Pattinson is consistently brought up around Bond but seems out of the running due to his commitment to Batman.

I just googled some pictures of Bruce Wayne in the comics and honestly you could probably say he looks a lot like James Bond. I guess it's the dinner jacket.

I've been watching The Great. Hoult is really good, though not a role that is going to make you say "now that's James Bond!"

Hoult is currently in my always evolving top 5.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 658
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    talos7 wrote: »
    Seeing this interview has solidified Harry Styles as my dark horse pick. It’s the first time that I’ve ever ever seen him interviewed ; he has a good, deep voice snd you can see his charm and also an intensity. He’s 27 , so he’ll be in his early 30’’s when the next film, hopefully, goes into production.

I pray to God this doesn’t happen personally.

Harry Styles?? He’s literally last on the tick list for me.
    I think it’s definitely a very long shot.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Fionn Whitehead (the actor next to Harry) would be an interesting choice for Bond 8 or 9.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2021 Posts: 13,882
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm sure I've seen Sam Heughan mentioned as a potential in this thread, looks like he's made a (slightly bargain basement looking) SAS film which will pop up on Sky next month, so does some Bondy things in it:

The book was packed with suspense. But the last time I got my hopes up for a movie adaption of a series of books that I had read beforehand, it turned out to be a disappointment (SEE: Stratton). I'll give it a chance to see how it holds up.

And isn't that the new Jill Valentine?
  • talos7 wrote: »

Jack Lowden, the next Bond, is already in that video.
    Jack Lowden would be an excellent pick.
    That’s what many told the Wright brothers; remember that on you next flight. ;)
  • QsCatQsCat London
    talos7 you must be joking when you have suggest Mr. Harry Styles? He a singer not actor for James Bond. I am thinking you are not such a fan of James Bond with a suggestion like this. It is a crazy choice. Sorry to say this.

Haha I love this.
    How about Mr Justin Timberlake?
    photo09_slideshow.jpg

;))
    edited February 2021 Posts: 7,889
    Timberlake is a very accomplished actor; you’ve just bolstered the fact that a pop music star can very successfully make the transition to the big screen; he joins the ranks of Sinatra, Streisand, Cher, Will Smith and a host of others, some who went from singer to OSCAR winner.

Open your minds gents.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Justin-Timberlake-His-Social-Network-Co-Stars-Deserve-Oscars-20909.html
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You have crazy bad idea. Give us James Bond not singer. Also Mr. Harry Styles has wrong look for James Bond. More like boy than man. More singer than spy.

That isn t very nice. If he reads this, he will be in need of his pacifier.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Timberlake is a very accomplished actor; you’ve just bolstered the fact that a pop music star can very successfully make the transition to the big screen; he joins the ranks of Sinatra, Streisand, Cher, Will Smith and a host of others, some who went from singer to OSCAR winner.

Open your minds gents.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Justin-Timberlake-His-Social-Network-Co-Stars-Deserve-Oscars-20909.html

Timberlake is actually a decent actor....I agree. But any Americans should be ruled out. We are back to British accent debate and how American’s simply can’t master it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Open your minds gents.

He's not British, so that should rule him out. Though I would be curious to hear what kind of Bond song he could come up with. :-?
  • Give us James Bond not singer.
    Even though I'm far from seeing Harry Styles in the role, this dichotomy between on the one hand the future Bond and on another a singer seems to me greatly exaggerated. Many singers are great actors, some having been mentioned here: Timberlake (The Social Network, Inside Llewyn Davis), Sinatra (The Man with the Golden Arm, From Here to Eternity), Bowie (Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence), Mark Wahlberg ( Boogie Nights, The Yards). Thus, a British singer could be a great Bond.