NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

ToTheRight wrote: »
    Fukunaga, Barbara and Michael must have complete confidence in this film to keep delaying it without the temptation to tinker with the finished product.

There are hundreds (!) of other films, that were produced before Covid, that get delayed dozens of times aswell.
    Sometimes it reads as if people think, that only the Bond film gets this kind of treatment.

Actually: most of the other films, that will come out or will (still) not come out in 2021 or 2022 had wrapped filming BEFORE Bond. The wait for them is even longer.

And by the way: 99% of those other movies were not sold to Netflix and Co. They are made for the theatre and will premiere in theatres only. The 2021 and 2022 theatre schedule is full of 2020-movies.

So I don't get these "F*cking sell NTTD to Netflix, Barbara!" or "They must be out of the mind to delay it again!" opinions. It's not the time to release a big cinematic movie now. And it's NEVER the time to release a movie like this online.
  • Well put it this way, it's better than releasing in April. Instead of 200 they now have an outside chance at 350 million. But to cover the costs of a project like this? No chance.

Dark times ahead if they stick with this date (which I fear they might).

They won't stick with it if we are back in another lockdown by October and cinemas are shut (which is very likely).

I sincerely hope you are correct, because personally I feel like the movie will tank if it opens in October.

I think back to what happened last year, the summer arrived, the virus spread slowed down, and people thought it was over, everyone went on holiday, and then the numbers began to rise again. I think theres a good chance the same thing could happen again. The UK is in heavy lockdown right now, and at some point we are going to come out before the summer, and people will think with the vaccine we are past the worse, there will be more gatherings etc etc.

Even if all the "at risk" people are vaccinated, it doesn't stop cases rising, which they will eventual once we come out of lockdown, and then the only way to stop cases getting out of control is another lockdown. If cases get out of control, doesn't matter if they are all healthy 30 year olds, they will push the health services to the max again.

I am praying that they simply picked October as a "kick the can down the road" date, because they needed a new date, and not because they think its actually a good time to release the film, because it makes no sense whatsoever. They might as well have released last summer, because the difference in boxoffice will be nothing, and it will spell complete catastrophe for the future of the series in my opinion.

If the majority of UK citizens are vaccinated by October, in theory rising of cases shouldn't really matter anymore. If we are all immune numbers of hospitalisations and deaths should be very low, meaning that a lockdown most certainly would not be necessary. I admit there are still a lot of ifs involved - eg if the vaccination can still beat the many new strains we're seeing. But if herd immunity is reached health services will not be pushed to the max.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Update Dutch cinema's and where you can buy movies closed til 02 March 2021. Another month from today. Earlier plan til 09 February 2021. Possible there wil be another delay confirmd on 23 February 2021.
  • In the news: something called "Detective Chinatown 3" just set the world record for an opening weekend in a single market, taking home over 350 million in China.

Obviously still lots of uncertainty, but this could augur well for the theory that NTTD will benefit from pent-up demand.
    Maybe they should retitle NTTD "Detective Chinatown 4."
    octofinger wrote: »
    In the news: something called "Detective Chinatown 3" just set the world record for an opening weekend in a single market, taking home over 350 million in China.

Obviously still lots of uncertainty, but this could augur well for the theory that NTTD will benefit from pent-up demand.

Those are the 7-day-boxoffice-numbers from China (last Friday to yesterday):

$578,3 Mio. DETECTIVE CHINATOWN 3
    $490,3 Mio. HI MOM
    $92,7 Mio. A WRITER'S ODYSSEY
    $68,3 Mio. BOOONIE BEARS
    $41,4 Mio. NEW GODS
    $34,1 Mio. THE YINYANG MASTER
    $28,0 Mio. ENDGAME

The top 7 movies made $1,333 billion in one week.

But that's not a surprise. Chinese cinemas are working more than well since last summer.
    Same for South Korea and Japan, where they had a new most succesful movie of all time last fall with "Daemon Slayer". The movie made more than $400 million in Japan alone.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    It will move almost everywhere in Europe.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    September for Australia too. Probably the 30th.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    A great Birthday present for Me. ;)
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    Belgian cinema chain Kinepolis now lists NTTD with the new release date of September 30th as well.
    Which is unusual, as films almost always release on a Wednesday. I had hopes to perhaps see it on the 29th, but I can understand them not willing to let us see the film a day before the UK. Either way, I'm glad it's not the 6th a week later.
    Belgian cinema chain Kinepolis now lists NTTD with the new release date of September 30th as well.
    Which is unusual, as films almost always release on a Wednesday. I had hopes to perhaps see it on the 29th, but I can understand them not willing to let us see the film a day before the UK. Either way, I'm glad it's not the 6th a week later.

Well, hope your frontier will be open at tha date (if the movie go out according to the plan), cause it is still program 6th october in your France neightboorhood...
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium

Well, hope your frontier will be open at tha date (if the movie go out according to the plan), cause it is still program 6th october in your France neightboorhood...

Yes, I've chatted with another French Bond fan and he also told me it's still the 6th in France. Let's hope they bring the French date forward, and not the Belgian date back! ;)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    For selfish reasons. I hope the U.S. date stays as October 8. If it moves up a week, I will not be able to attend on opening night.

Yes, I've chatted with another French Bond fan and he also told me it's still the 6th in France. Let's hope they bring the French date forward, and not the Belgian date back! ;)

They will bring it forward, because the french part of Switzerland has the 30th announced.
    France and Switzerland (french part) always have the same date.

I can imagine they will bring it even forward to wednesday the 29th there,
    and eventually even in the UK.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    WIRED:
    Why a James Bond film will never
    premiere on Netflix
    The economics of blockbusters like No Time to Die simply don’t work
    without cinemas. And the pandemic proved it
    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/james-bond-no-time-to-die-netflix

Given that Godzilla VS Kong has proven to be very successful at the box office AND on a streaming service at the same time.What do you think of the chances of NTTD being released at cinemas as well as on demand in November?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Given that Godzilla VS Kong has proven to be very successful at the box office AND on a streaming service at the same time.What do you think of the chances of NTTD being released at cinemas as well as on demand in November?

Slim.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

It was only available to stream in the US on one specific platform (HBO Max, which WarnerMedia owns). Unless MGM suddenly conjures up a steaming service, it’s not happening.

I’ve said this last year. If a studio had to decide between streaming and exclusive theatrical releases that have a billion dollar potential, they will always pick a billion dollars.

The whole “will streaming kill theaters?” was very silly because there’s still so much studios get more out of a theatrical release, and the only reason streaming was pushed so much on 2020 was because of a small thing that happened called COVID.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Streaming is killing the theater experience for small/medium budget films (just look at the Knives Out sequels) but the pandemic proved that big event movies aren’t sustainable without a proper theater release.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It was only available to stream in the US on one specific platform (HBO Max, which WarnerMedia owns). Unless MGM suddenly conjures up a steaming service, it’s not happening.

Though it was available to stream here via Sky Cinema too (on the same day as the HBO Max release), this is certainly an important point to stress. MGM don't have the same luxuries available to them that WarnerMedia do. And if they sell outright to a streamer, then there goes the cinema release (more than likely).

I’ve said this last year. If a studio had to decide between streaming and exclusive theatrical releases that have a billion dollar potential, they will always pick a billion dollars.

The whole “will streaming kill theaters?” was very silly because there’s still so much studios get more out of a theatrical release, and the only reason streaming was pushed so much on 2020 was because of a small thing that happened called COVID.

I watched it on Itunes here in the UK.
    It isn't streaming that's killing medium budget films, it's the Hollywood movie studios who just won't take a risk on 40-50 mill movies. If anything streamers are the ones saving mid budget movie's. And I say that as someone who's no great fan of streaming
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2021 Posts: 4,416
    Cinema then 4-5 months later to BD/DVD/4K and another 2 months later to Streaming (Replacing rental, when you go video Rental store in the past or pay a view.) and 2-3 years later on OPEN TV channel. In between option (time between BD/DVD/4K and OPEN TV Channel): Pay TV (HBO is PAY TV like you have Film1 in the past in The Netherlands.).

That's how i think it should be. Do i mind that some streaming company's making a movie or tv series for there own, no. There should release it also on BD/DVD/4K atleast 5-6 months (or 13 months like Mission Impossible or Goldeneye take 13 months to before released on VHS). and mabey 3-4 year later also on open channel.

FAQ:

Open Channel: BB1/BBC2 (England) Belgium 1 & 2 (Belgium) NPO 1, NPO2, NPO 3 (The Netherlands) and Comercial channels (Rtl 4-5-7-8, Sbs6-Sbs9, Net 5, Veronica in The Netherlands), MTV (Dutch version of Orginal American channel)

Semi open Channel (With not much audince and some TV company's don't have them or you must take difrent package where must pay a litle bit more .): Fox (Dutch version of original American channel with Tv series is mabey best discription with series like 24 season 10 was showed there too.), BBC First (English channel with Dutch subs British series and some of them be first there before there going to be on NPO channels.), Belgium 3 (Kid Channel in The Netherlands), Comedy Central (Dutch version of original American channel like MTV)

Pay TV (or Pay streaming): Channel/Streaming service) that think there are special and must pay high price to see them like HBO, Film 1 and now Videoland 2.0 (1.0 was name of videos Rental store) and Disney, Netflix.
    Pay A view: Pathe. You pay for each movie or episode, just something like Download for a song or ask 30 euro's for Black Widow. Those days a lot of the movie / Tv series are replaced by PAY TV.

And you have Regio OPEN channels who only be showed in some regio's, Amsterdam or semi Amsterdam in my case but not been seen in Rotterdam.

On this moment we stil waiting on tv premiere of Spectre on open channel (Comercial Rtl 4 or Rtl 7), don't know why it take so long.

--

Also Studio's should not undermine buying people with things like prefer the French audio above English, earlier atleast there give some releases then English trackin DTS-HD MA 5.1 (French track be in Dolby True HD 7.1 Atmos.) avaible as with Tombraider 2018 but there skip this later. Only DD+ (DD 7.1 with 640 bitrate) (Warner with Wonder Woman 1984, Joker, Godzilla 3..). Pacific Rim was already on the edge with English track in DTS-HD MA 5.1 and French one in DTS-HD MA 7.1, but bitrate of English track was good. The only difrence be with DD 5.1 track in 640 (in earlier stage of BD with for example Blood Diamond) be is that DD+ is in DD 7.1. Personaly i think there can better go for 2 tracks in DTS-HD MA 7.1 if there can't handle Atmos (like Disney). But best thing Warner can do is sharing The Netherlands/Dutch-Flemish part of Belgium with UK or VS if the movie isn't cut with simpley at Dutch sub and if there are smart on USA version who moost of time also include French subs. or At Dutch (and French for view Belgium people who use that) sub on German disc (then you can use it in France too). For record Dutch/Flemish part of Belgium whant Dutch subs and English (and Dutch ''Flemish*'' audio in case of animation) audio.

* Some Belgium people not giving much about Flemish track if it only be possible to at Dutch audio track (or mix what happend also) for there very young children.

Paramount/Universal doing it right, so no sorry for Warner. Examples of Paramount/Universal with Atmos: Mi5&6, Transformers 5 (And even some movies like Jason Bourne have DTSX sometimes). DTS-HD MA 7.1 can take a lot of space as proven with POTC 5 (Disney) with lacking bonus material (Stil can have used another disc). But Joker is short movie like Godzilla 4 , Bonusmaterial can also be on second disc or even on DVD.

No release at all (Disney), fake Dutch releases (3D/4K/Tv Series) with Dutch ranking in logo or text who are packaged in French ''inport'' release with no Dutch subs ''No Dutch subs and Dutch Audio in case of animated'' on 3D or 4K disc. Besides the very high price. (Disney with The Lion King 2019 or Aladdin 2019, Dumbo 2019. Frozen 2. Grey anatomy S15.) or not releasing last season of tv show (Disney and Homeland Season 8.). And other things that raised quistions (Fake Dutch release of Toy Story 4 who not only missing Dutch/Audio subs on 3D disc but also missing bonus disc or The Incredibles 2 who missing bonus disc whyle only ''lucky''be is that is there is no fake 3D release too.)

Disney also can have choosen for at atleast to at Dutch subs on 3D too of The Lion King 2019, Aladdin 2019, Dumbo 2019 (and new version of Mulan). I understand choose of missing Dutch and Flemish Audio not be include on 3D (and 4K if released) disc because those movies are not realy for to young children to watch in 3D. 9 rank is way to low for The Lion King 2019 (Seen in 3D in cinema in 2019). There can have at disclaimer also. Jungle Book (2016) or for example Fantastic Beasts (Rank: 9) not have Dutch/Flemish version made of the movie and Jungle Book 2016 (In collection) get 12 rank on the cover. Frozen 2 & Toy Story 4 (Rank: 6) should have got Dutch subs, Dutch and Flemish audio on both.

I also was not happy when Disney bough 20th Century Fox. Jungle Book 2016 and Ant-Man are only 3D / present Disney titles in my collection. I was happy with them (i collect more titles of BD then on dvd i ever did), but no more.

I whant NTTD in cinema this year (if possible and that mean as with no mouth thing, the 1,5 thing is not a problem) and re-release next year (for people who be afraid or can't see it or mabey for my self it stil not be possible.). I prefer not having new delay and i already not big fan from it that changed movie for sponsers.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Cinema then 4-5 months later to BD/DVD/4K and another 2 months later to Streaming (Replacing rental, when you go video Rental store in the past or pay a view.) and 2-3 years later on OPEN TV channel. In between option (time between BD/DVD/4K and OPEN TV Channel): Pay TV (HBO is PAY TV like you have Film1 in the past in The Netherlands.).

That's how i think it should be. Do i mind that some streaming company's making a movie or tv series for there own, no. There should release it also on BD/DVD/4K atleast 5-6 months (or 13 months like Mission Impossible or Goldeneye take 13 months to before released on VHS). and mabey 3-4 year later also on open channel.

FAQ:

Open Channel: BB1/BBC2 (England) Belgium 1 & 2 (Belgium) NPO 1, NPO2, NPO 3 (The Netherlands) and Comercial channels (Rtl 4-5-7-8, Sbs6-Sbs9, Net 5, Veronica in The Netherlands), MTV (Dutch version of Orginal American channel)

Semi open Channel (With not much audince and some TV company's don't have them or you must take difrent package where must pay a litle bit more .): Fox (Dutch version of original American channel with Tv series is mabey best discription with series like 24 season 10 was showed there too.), BBC First (English channel with Dutch subs British series and some of them be first there before there going to be on NPO channels.), Belgium 3 (Kid Channel in The Netherlands), Comedy Central (Dutch version of original American channel like MTV)

Pay TV (or Pay streaming): Channel/Streaming service) that think there are special and must pay high price to see them like HBO, Film 1 and now Videoland 2.0 (1.0 was name of videos Rental store) and Disney, Netflix.
    Pay A view: Pathe. You pay for each movie or episode, just something like Download for a song or ask 30 euro's for Black Widow. Those days a lot of the movie / Tv series are replaced by PAY TV.

And you have Regio OPEN channels who only be showed in some regio's, Amsterdam or semi Amsterdam in my case but not been seen in Rotterdam.

On this moment we stil waiting on tv premiere of Spectre on open channel (Comercial Rtl 4 or Rtl 7), don't know why it take so long.

--

Also Studio's should not undermine buying people with things like prefer the French audio above English, earlier atleast there give some releases then English trackin DTS-HD MA 5.1 (French track be in Dolby True HD 7.1 Atmos.) avaible as with Tombraider 2018 but there skip this later. Only DD+ (DD 7.1 with 640 bitrate) (Warner with Wonder Woman 1984, Joker, Godzilla 3..). Pacific Rim was already on the edge with English track in DTS-HD MA 5.1 and French one in DTS-HD MA 7.1, but bitrate of English track was good. The only difrence be with DD 5.1 track in 640 (in earlier stage of BD with for example Blood Diamond) be is that DD+ is in DD 7.1. Personaly i think there can better go for 2 tracks in DTS-HD MA 7.1 if there can't handle Atmos (like Disney). But best thing Warner can do is sharing The Netherlands/Dutch-Flemish part of Belgium with UK or VS if the movie isn't cut with simpley at Dutch sub and if there are smart on USA version who moost of time also include French subs. or At Dutch (and French for view Belgium people who use that) sub on German disc (then you can use it in France too). For record Dutch/Flemish part of Belgium whant Dutch subs and English (and Dutch ''Flemish*'' audio in case of animation) audio.

* Some Belgium people not giving much about Flemish track if it only be possible to at Dutch audio track (or mix what happend also) for there very young children.

Paramount/Universal doing it right, so no sorry for Warner. Examples of Paramount/Universal with Atmos: Mi5&6, Transformers 5 (And even some movies like Jason Bourne have DTSX sometimes). DTS-HD MA 7.1 can take a lot of space as proven with POTC 5 (Disney) with lacking bonus material (Stil can have used another disc). But Joker is short movie like Godzilla 4 , Bonusmaterial can also be on second disc or even on DVD.

No release at all (Disney), fake Dutch releases (3D/4K/Tv Series) with Dutch ranking in logo or text who are packaged in French ''inport'' release with no Dutch subs ''No Dutch subs and Dutch Audio in case of animated'' on 3D or 4K disc. Besides the very high price. (Disney with The Lion King 2019 or Aladdin 2019, Dumbo 2019. Frozen 2. Grey anatomy S15.) or not releasing last season of tv show (Disney and Homeland Season 8.). And other things that raised quistions (Fake Dutch release of Toy Story 4 who not only missing Dutch/Audio subs on 3D disc but also missing bonus disc or The Incredibles 2 who missing bonus disc whyle only ''lucky''be is that is there is no fake 3D release too.)

Disney also can have choosen for at atleast to at Dutch subs on 3D too of The Lion King 2019, Aladdin 2019, Dumbo 2019 (and new version of Mulan). I understand choose of missing Dutch and Flemish Audio not be include on 3D (and 4K if released) disc because those movies are not realy for to young children to watch in 3D. 9 rank is way to low for The Lion King 2019 (Seen in 3D in cinema in 2019). There can have at disclaimer also. Jungle Book (2016) or for example Fantastic Beasts (Rank: 9) not have Dutch/Flemish version made of the movie and Jungle Book 2016 (In collection) get 12 rank on the cover. Frozen 2 & Toy Story 4 (Rank: 6) should have got Dutch subs, Dutch and Flemish audio on both.

I also was not happy when Disney bough 20th Century Fox. Jungle Book 2016 and Ant-Man are only 3D / present Disney titles in my collection. I was happy with them (i collect more titles of BD then on dvd i ever did), but no more.

I whant NTTD in cinema this year (if possible and that mean as with no mouth thing, the 1,5 thing is not a problem) and re-release next year (for people who be afraid or can't see it or mabey for my self it stil not be possible.). I prefer not having new delay and i already not big fan from it that changed movie for sponsers.

Ripley...im scared.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Coming Soon to Theaters: "Traffic Jam on a Box Office Superhighway"
    https://hollywoodreporter.com/news/upcoming-blockbusters-delayed

A look at the end of year backlog NTTD finds itself in.
    This anti-white male garbage deserves to fail. RIP, Bond franchise.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The_Reaper wrote: »

I used to always say that I didn’t mind what race Bond was. My thinking was: the series has always played it fast and loose with the source material, and there‘s nothing about the modern version of the character that really rules out POC actors. But equally, I wouldn’t want them to change his race for the sake of it. So, long as the best possible man gets the job, I’m happy. That was my attitude.

But seeing the ridiculous backlash to NTTD for being so “woke” (for giving a black woman the 007 codename? In a film where Bond, a white man, is still the lead? Even Fleming played around with the codename, it’s meaningless) has changed my mind. I’m now actively hoping the next Bond isn’t white, just so embarassing babies like you never watch a Bond film again.

Kidding of course. We all know you’ll watch it either way, and still bless us with your incredibly nuanced takes that don’t at all scream “I’ve been watching far too many incel Youtubers”.

I used to always say that I didn’t mind what race Bond was. My thinking was: the series has always played it fast and loose with the source material, and there‘s nothing about the modern version of the character that really rules out POC actors. But equally, I wouldn’t want them to change his race for the sake of it. So, long as the best possible man gets the job, I’m happy. That was my attitude.

But seeing the ridiculous backlash to NTTD for being so “woke” (for giving a black woman the 007 codename? In a film where Bond, a white man, is still the lead? Even Fleming played around with the codename, it’s meaningless) has changed my mind. I’m now actively hoping the next Bond isn’t white, just so embarassing babies like you never watch a Bond film again.

Kidding of course. We all know you’ll watch it either way, and still bless us with your incredibly nuanced takes that don’t at all scream “I’ve been watching far too many incel Youtubers”.

Whites are less than 10% of the world's population (and shrinking every day) and when the hordes of anti-whites come for you I hope you are prepared.