The James Bond Questions Thread

1197198199201203

Comments

  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Posts: 934
    Benny wrote: »
    An oft confusing moment in Octopussy (though some would say there are plenty of confusing moments in OP ;) ) is the scene where Bond arrives at the circus in the Alfa.
    After smashing through the chain, the security officer gets on the radio.
    "Captain, some nut went through here in a stolen car. Wants the base commander. And he's wearing a red shirt!"
    The inclusion of the 'and he's wearing a red shirt' seems a little odd. And maybe it is. Though considering OP takes place during the Cold War, is it possible the guard is referring to the Red Communist flag, thinking Bond could be a nut from behind the Iron curtain?
    Though it could just be a way for the guys chasing Bond to know who they're looking for.

    Is it not simply just so they can identify him more easily?
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Posts: 934
    Watching YOLT with my 11-yr old son for the first time, I reflected yet again how many utterly nonsensical moments there are -- particularly around Bond's fake death at the start.

    But one thing struck me I hadn't considered before, regarding the US/USSR astronauts at the end. Do one or two of them die when Bond triggers the final explosion in space?

    As I see it, they were captured but kept alive for some unknown reason. Bond infiltrates the lair and frees them. They knock out the intended astronauts, take their space suits and then go to launch. Bond messes up by taking his aircon on board, but the rocket then takes off. Who is flying it?

    If it's good guys then their sacrifice appears to go unnoticed, and they could simply not have gone ahead with the whole mission anyway. If it's bad guys then I don't see how that's possible...


  • DragonpolDragonpol The Crazy World of David Dragonpol
    Posts: 13,870
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    An oft confusing moment in Octopussy (though some would say there are plenty of confusing moments in OP ;) ) is the scene where Bond arrives at the circus in the Alfa.
    After smashing through the chain, the security officer gets on the radio.
    "Captain, some nut went through here in a stolen car. Wants the base commander. And he's wearing a red shirt!"
    The inclusion of the 'and he's wearing a red shirt' seems a little odd. And maybe it is. Though considering OP takes place during the Cold War, is it possible the guard is referring to the Red Communist flag, thinking Bond could be a nut from behind the Iron curtain?
    Though it could just be a way for the guys chasing Bond to know who they're looking for.

    Is it not simply just so they can identify him more easily?

    I've always thought the same myself. There were so many costumes and uniforms at the base so it was just police/security guard standard procedure I'd say. A "Last seen wearing..." sort of thing. It'd come from their training to describe the car, what the driver was wearing, the direction he drove in and what he stated was his business. I don't think it has anything to do with red being the colour of the Communists.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Posts: 934
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    Watching YOLT with my 11-yr old son for the first time, I reflected yet again how many utterly nonsensical moments there are -- particularly around Bond's fake death at the start.

    But one thing struck me I hadn't considered before, regarding the US/USSR astronauts at the end. Do one or two of them die when Bond triggers the final explosion in space?

    As I see it, they were captured but kept alive for some unknown reason. Bond infiltrates the lair and frees them. They knock out the intended astronauts, take their space suits and then go to launch. Bond messes up by taking his aircon on board, but the rocket then takes off. Who is flying it?

    If it's good guys then their sacrifice appears to go unnoticed, and they could simply not have gone ahead with the whole mission anyway. If it's bad guys then I don't see how that's possible...

    Any thought on this, anyone?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 10,672
    This is what I'm seeing on screen:

    Bond releases 3 good guy astronauts.
    2 good guy astronauts, along with Bond, dress as guards.
    The 3rd good guy astronaut disappears.
    The 3 'guards' enter change room A and knock out bad guy astronaut A.
    Bond exits change room A and boards the monorail.
    Bad guy astronaut B exits change room B and boards the monorail.
    Bond and bad guy astronaut B take the elevator up to the Bird1 cockpit.
    Bond is caught with his air con, and bad guy astronaut B boards Bird1.
    Reserve bad guy astronaut takes Bond's place.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Wattenscheid
    Posts: 380
    SPECTRE:
    Why is Hinx after Madeleine? Blofeld orders White to be killed. By the time Hinx arrives at White's place, he had already taken his own life and told Bond - who was only there because he overheard the SPECTRE meeting, which Blofeld seemingly wanted him to do - to keep his daughter Madeleine safe, if I recall correctly. Why is she in danger in the first place? As a bait for Bond? Because she might be able to find Blofeld through a massively convoluted scavenger hunt, which still only lead them to a train station in the middle of nowhere, where Blofeld's chauffeur has to pick them up? Had Hinx not kidnapped her, Bond would have stayed longer at the clinic, trying to convince the good Doctor that she has to change her cover and would have either succeeded or not and she would have told him that L'Americain is a hotel or not. And the whole thing basically stops dead in it's tracks.

    How is UK national security policy apparently just completely turned on it's head in mere minutes mainly because the lead proponent of the changes dies in an accident/a fight with a political rival? There would be treaties with the other Nine Eyes countries, parliament has agreed to this (or at least the ISC, which Mallory used to chair), the Privy Council, the Queen! The built a whole new building in the middle of London for it!
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?
    edited February 9 Posts: 1,090
    @ImpertinentGoon

    1) I agree it doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but if youre after an “in movie” reason, then Hinx will have watched the Bond/White conversation, and known Bond was meeting Swann. Presumably he wants to take out Swann because she has an awareness of the organisation and is the last link in the ‘Pale King’ saga, and also she can spill the beans to Bond, which they dont want.

    2) My understanding it that the whole Nine Eyes thing is already in place and at least partially operational, the Tokyo meeting was like a final sign off. Once South Africa (I think) agreed it was already good to go.

    We as fans give these things more attention than the writers did, at least.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Wattenscheid
    Posts: 380
    Mallory wrote: »
    @ImpertinentGoon

    1) I agree it doesnt make a whole lot of sense, but if youre after an “in movie” reason, then Hinx will have watched the Bond/White conversation, and known Bond was meeting Swann. Presumably he wants to take out Swann because she has an awareness of the organisation and is the last link in the ‘Pale King’ saga, and also she can spill the beans to Bond, which they dont want.

    2) My understanding it that the whole Nine Eyes thing is already in place and at least partially operational, the Tokyo meeting was like a final sign off. Once South Africa (I think) agreed it was already good to go.

    We as fans give these things more attention than the writers did, at least.

    To 1) I guess the explanation (apart from: it is how Madeleine is introduced) is indeed that they want to snuff out everything concerning the pale king. Which leads back to the question: Would Hinx have found her/been aware of her had Bond not gone to White's place? I guess he would have, as he finds White independent of Bond, so he would have possibly pressed her whereabouts out if him.

    To 2) I was being slightly facetious. I know that these kinds of things are just movie logic.. I still find it kind of funny that apparently the entire national security apparatus of a nuclear power is run on the whims of like three men (which is arguably quite Flemingesque, as I believe he has some description of M where he basically calls him the embodiment of the British intelligence apparatus or something like it).
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Posts: 934
    I think the idea is that when someone leaves SPECTRE, their family are killed as well as a way of tying up loose ends. This is the whole reason Lucia is in danger after Marco Sciarra's death, and the conversation at his funeral about Bond offering "life insurance":

    "I hear the life expectancy of some widows can be very short".

    In the same way, Mr White attempts to hide Madeleine's existence because he knows that when he dies they will go after her.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Posts: 8,121
    "Its name is SPECTRE." She knows. And they know she knows.

  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Ostandia
    Posts: 39,857
    Speaking of Madeleine...

    When Lea and the others auditioned for the role, Mendes used a scene from SF. Does anyone know which scene that would be?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Wattenscheid
    Posts: 380
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    I think the idea is that when someone leaves SPECTRE, their family are killed as well as a way of tying up loose ends. This is the whole reason Lucia is in danger after Marco Sciarra's death, and the conversation at his funeral about Bond offering "life insurance":

    "I hear the life expectancy of some widows can be very short".

    In the same way, Mr White attempts to hide Madeleine's existence because he knows that when he dies they will go after her.

    Good point. Never put two and two together there. Thank you.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 6,012
    On the subject of Madeline Swann and her dad Mr White, someone pointed out on another forum something that I'd never twigged: that Swans are indeed White! :D
  • BennyBenny ...OctobennyModerator
    Posts: 11,213
    mtm wrote: »
    On the subject of Madeline Swann and her dad Mr White, someone pointed out on another forum something that I'd never twigged: that Swans are indeed White! :D

    mlo5lo6ds2rr.png

    You've obviously never heard of Australia's Black Swans.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 6,012
    Yes, we have a few of those here, but they're called 'black swans' because most are white! :D
  • DragonpolDragonpol The Crazy World of David Dragonpol
    Posts: 13,870
    I suppose they're the swan equivalent of the "black sheep" of the family. ;)
  • MalloryMallory Are you ready to get back to work?
    Posts: 1,090
    Speaking of Madeleine...

    When Lea and the others auditioned for the role, Mendes used a scene from SF. Does anyone know which scene that would be?

    I would guess, to test their chemistry, the shaving scene.

  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Ostandia
    Posts: 39,857
    I am thinking either that, or Bond s first meeting with Severine. Don t know what else could possibly fit.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 6,012
    In LTK, how does Felix operate a parachute, or indeed pull the ripcord, when holding a top hat in each hand? :D
  • BennyBenny ...OctobennyModerator
    Posts: 11,213
    mtm wrote: »
    In LTK, how does Felix operate a parachute, or indeed pull the ripcord, when holding a top hat in each hand? :D

    Good point, and one I have pondered at times. Also, how did they not get ripped from his hands during his initial freefall, before somehow opening his chute.

  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 10,672
    Good point, and just before Felix lands, the hats disappear momentarily.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Ostandia
    Posts: 39,857
    They must be magicians hats. Felix did sport magic trousers too in 65. The CIA is into all sorts of black magic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 13 Posts: 6,012
    QBranch wrote: »
    Good point, and just before Felix lands, the hats disappear momentarily.

    One of the parachutists does have them in mid air, I wonder if they tied them on to his hands? :D
    They must be magicians hats. Felix did sport magic trousers too in 65. The CIA is into all sorts of black magic.

    Ooh what’s this? Something in TB I missed?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Ostandia
    Posts: 39,857
    mtm wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    Good point, and just before Felix lands, the hats disappear momentarily.

    One of the parachutists does have them in mid air, I wonder if they tied them on to his hands? :D
    They must be magicians hats. Felix did sport magic trousers too in 65. The CIA is into all sorts of black magic.

    Ooh what’s this? Something in TB I missed?

    When he and Bond are in the helicopter, his pants switch back and forth between shorts and regular trousers.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 13 Posts: 10,672
    They switch a total of four times! And they're not even the same colour!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 6,012
    Ha, no way! I’ve never spotted that. Maybe he couldn’t decide.

    Don’t the partings in their hair leap spontaneously onto the other sides of their heads in that scene too?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Ostandia
    Posts: 39,857
    QBranch wrote: »
    They switch a total of four times! And they're not even the same colour!

    Yes, the whole thing is absurd. I hardly notice what else is going on.
    mtm wrote: »
    Ha, no way! I’ve never spotted that. Maybe he couldn’t decide.

    Don’t the partings in their hair leap spontaneously onto the other sides of their heads in that scene too?

    Such as this. Never noticed that. It is all very unsettling.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 6,012
    Plus doesn't Felix start talking with Pinder’s voice? C’mon film crew, attention to detail, lads!
  • BennyBenny ...OctobennyModerator
    Posts: 11,213
    mtm wrote: »
    Plus doesn't Felix start talking with Pinder’s voice? C’mon film crew, attention to detail, lads!

    When he mentions the Manta Ray I believe? It's Earl Cameron's voice. The list of gaffs in TB is very lengthy.
  • DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    Posts: 69
    Why do some Bond fans think that Lashanna Lynch is going to be the new 007 From now on when it's obviously just for No Time To Die? I'm getting sick of explaining it to people.
Sign In or Register to comment.