Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I was surprised that True Lies can only be bought on DVD, No Blu-ray ! Or
    at least in all my searches, I couldn't find one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I also always found it odd that it never got a blu-ray release.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It is very odd. It absolutely deserves it. A cracking film.

I just found this article, can't say I ever knew anything about it. It explains a lot and spells doom for any hopes of future blu-ray/4K releases, then, which is a bummer when I see that list because I'd really love to get an Aliens 4K release.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I just found this article, can't say I ever knew anything about it. It explains a lot and spells doom for any hopes of future blu-ray/4K releases, then, which is a bummer when I see that list because I'd really love to get an Aliens 4K release.

It's the same for The Abyss too, isn't it?

It's the same for The Abyss too, isn't it?

It is, sadly - no blu-ray release, so seemingly no 4K release ever, either. What a shame.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Cameron's films would be an instant buy for me if remastered in 4K, they did such an amazing job with T2.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 5,806

You can buy a Blu-Ray of True Lies in France.

https://www.amazon.fr/True-lies-cam%C3%A9l%C3%A9on-Arnold-Schwarzenegger/dp/B08BWPDQ1M/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=true+lies&qid=1610910291&sr=8-4

71ME3nrN5HL._AC_SY445_.jpg
    France does seem to get a lot of blu-rays (or 4Ks, even) that most countries don't. It's appreciated, even if they're region locked.
    The Abyss is ready to go in a 4K version. This is from James Cameron himself who has overseen and authorized the restoration. No idea whether he has done the same for TL. But Fox is now in the hands of Disneycorp and they have said no more catalogue 4K releases. Hard to believe after all the work done they won't just release it.
    It is odd, these films I just took for granted would be on Blu-ray. This evening
    I watched Sputnik a Russian sci-fi horror. This is more a mystery with you as
    the viewer slowly finding out what the Scientists know about the returned
    Cosmonaut, It's not all action but suspenseful and I guess made for a fraction
    of a Hollywood movie.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    France does seem to get a lot of blu-rays (or 4Ks, even) that most countries don't. It's appreciated, even if they're region locked.

My impression is that 4K Blu-rays are as dead as 3D Blu-rays have been for quite some time. And I myself think this is quite ok. Whenever I watch one of my regular (2D )Blu-rays via my eleven-year old Full-HD (and no more) Epson projector on my 4.2 meter (14 ft.) diagonal screen, I wonder what people could wish for more in terms of resolution etc. I'm definitely not going to upgrade any further, and I'm also not in the least interested in subscribing to some streaming service until I've watched all of my remaining BDs...and that's a few hundred that I bought at some time...but haven't watched yet.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    elastigirl.jpg
    Incredibles 2 4K I bought this film ages ago only just watched it, got some exstensive leave so trying to go through a long list of still have not watched movies I have. I really enjoyed this sequel the animation at times truly is superb. there are so many Bond and Batman type scenes in this film which I loved and the score has some excellent Bond feels going on.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 4,600
    I watched Die Hard (again) but, this time, trying to introduce my sons to the era of 80s classics. Watching their reaction was very interesting. For the first 10 mins, they were on their phones or ready to evacuate to the den to play Fifa on the Xbox. But then, the rear doors of the van open and we see Hans (or the "guy from Harry Potter") and , from then on, they loved it.

HansGruber.jpeg

PS Small world, went round to my mum's to deliver food and she is watching....

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/bd094dde-eed2-4d6f-8aea-b1d03cd06bb6/discovering-film/episodes/season-11/episode-13

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Synchronic

Synchronic_UK_Digital_Banner.jpg

From "cosmic horror" duo Benson & Moorhead, directors of the acclaimed Resolution, The Endless and my personal favourite, Spring, comes a time distortion mystery that works as both a sci-fi thriller and a drama film.

Mackie compellingly plays a young paramedic who is diagnosed with a brain tumour and has only six weeks to live. Meanwhile, designer drug "synchronic" is becoming a serious plague. The drug transports people to different "slices" of the space-time continuum, but some get lost or trapped. Facing death, our protagonist embarks on a mission to find his partner's lost daughter.

Synchronic tones down the Lovecraftian horror vibes that Moorhead & Benson seemed more eager to present in their previous films, but certainly retains their unusual effectiveness in getting a high-concept story told with little money but executed to perfection. While Synchronic is not quite as mysterious as The Endless nor as compelling as Spring, I nevertheless welcome this film as an addition to their repertoire of impressive, modern horror/sci-fi films.

Audition

960_audition_blu_ray_5.0.jpg

Takashi Miike, director of Ichi The Killer delivers a tough fever dream in which a young woman, played by the enigmatic Eihi Shiina, becomes the object of affection for a respectable Ryo Ishibashi who not only seeks new love after the tragic demise of his wife but also wants to carefully select his future lover from a whole batch of auditioning actresses. The two of them become romantically involved, but while he wants to propose to her, she has other plans.

Audition is both sweet and bizarre, warm and shockingly brutal. A trademark film for its director, it blends romantic drama with extreme body horror, depicting the ugly side of beauty in ways only Takashi Miike knows how to do. Don't watch this film on an empty stomach!

I recommend this film to fans of torture cinema or to people who are already familiar with the director's oeuvre. It's a film I return to every once in a while because I love how he addresses both emotional as well as physical pain as two sides of the same coin.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    The Abyss is ready to go in a 4K version. This is from James Cameron himself who has overseen and authorized the restoration. No idea whether he has done the same for TL. But Fox is now in the hands of Disneycorp and they have said no more catalogue 4K releases. Hard to believe after all the work done they won't just release it.

I absolutely love the Directors Cut of " The Abyss" ; It really fleshes out the story without making it "flabby". If there is one thing I would do, and it will be interesting to see if Cameron does it, for the shots of the surface vessels , which utilized fairly large miniatures filmed at high speed to simulate size and mass. I would replace the water with CG elements. One of the biggest obstacles to overcome when filming miniature are when they include either water or fire; it's very difficult, if not impossible to miniaturize both. the Bond films are loaded with examples; see "The Spy Who Loved Me" or "Goldeneye" . This often destroys the effectiveness of the shot and screams
    " MINIATURE!".

I know a lot of people don't like directors tinkering with their previous films, as did a heavy handed George Lucas, but if done with restraint it can help make a shot much more believable . I know that Cameron did digitally tweak "T2"; so there is a precedent.
    I also know that a lot of people are not fans of CG effects, but in the end they it is just a tool and fire and water effects are two if it strongest applications.

Now , with this said, I would also want the original , unaltered , Theatrical cut and Directors cut included.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    WW84.

Pretty good. Slower moving than other superhero movies, maybe more self-assured, good themes and characters. I enjoyed it with the wife.

Small local theater, matinee showing. I wouldn't normally see this one but wanted to support.

I was in the mood for an easy to watch action movie and picked on
    Mission Impossible 6. Like Nolan with the Batman films, I do
    appreciate the use of the IMAX cameras for action sequences. They
    do add something.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 235
    t01bQxN.jpg
    Just watched this probably my second favorite Seagal movie.
    MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015)
    Havent watched this since I seen it in the cinema (ah, those were the days!!)
    Still a hugely accomplished action movie. Makes me wish drector George Miller tackled more projects! Amazing to look at, and the set pieces take the breath away, and some bonkers set design and ideas.. but......and its a big but, cannot buy Tom Hardy as Max. Simply doesnt work for me! Mel Gibson IS Max and no one can replace him.
    So, a great, long awaited sequel, but 'Mad Max 2' is still the one to beat!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Still a hugely accomplished action movie. Makes me wish drector George Miller tackled more projects! Amazing to look at, and the set pieces take the breath away, and some bonkers set design and ideas.. but......and its a big but, cannot buy Tom Hardy as Max. Simply doesnt work for me! Mel Gibson IS Max and no one can replace him.

Or is Hardy Max? There are theories...

talos7 wrote: »

Well, whether he is or isn't, i still want Gibson in a Mad Max movie!
    talos7 wrote: »

Well, whether he is or isn't, i still want Gibson in a Mad Max movie!

I agree. The theory that I’ve seen is that Hardy is actually the feral kid from Road Warrior. This would make it possible for Mel to return as Max.

Mazouni wrote: »
    t01bQxN.jpg
    Just watched this probably my second favorite Seagal movie.

What's your favorite?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Mine is Under Siege. The only decent one in my book.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Mine is Under Siege. The only decent one in my book.

Under Siege 2 is also pretty good.

Out for Justice is my favorite and the only one, sans Under Siege, I've really bothered to return to over the last many years. I just love that former one too much, it's a blast. Lot of childhood nostalgia tied to that one.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2021 Posts: 13,894
    I would agree with the general opinion that: Above The Law, Marked For Death, Hard To Kill, Out For Justice and Under Siege are his best films, with the later being his best imo. Still prefer Van Damme though, he has a lot more good films on his CV, even most of his DTV stuff is better than what Seagal has been churning out for years. Seagal was good way back in the day, he had an intimidating presence when he wasn’t made to run, but he has made himself a joke now.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    To me Hardy is playing the Max character, no reservations for that. I'm aware of the Feral Kid suggestion, it`s fun to consider but doesn't really work and regardless it diminishes Max history.

I remember a result of the extended production of FURY ROAD was George Miller and his associates mapped out at least two more adventures ready to go for filming. Unfortunately disagreements on profit sharing delayed a follow-up film, and now there is the pandemic.

So we wait.
    To me Hardy is playing the Max character, no reservations for that. I'm aware of the Feral Kid suggestion, it`s fun to consider but doesn't really work and regardless it diminishes Max history.

I remember a result of the extended production of FURY ROAD was George Miller and his associates mapped out at least two more adventures ready to go for filming. Unfortunately disagreements on profit sharing delayed a follow-up film, and now there is the pandemic.

So we wait.

I thought Miller was going to follow up with a film based on the Furiosa character ( Charlize Theron) as she proved more popular than Max!