No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• edited January 2021 Posts: 187
    octofinger wrote: »
    The conversation here is all getting a little hysterical, isn't it?

Yes, COVID is awful in a lot of ways. This still isn't a patch on the Spanish flu, the world wars, or the great depression - to name just a few things in the last century. If the worst thing that happens to us all through this is that a Bond movie is delayed for a while . . . well, then we'll have done bloody great.

I'm a fan, and yes - selfishly, I'd love to watch the movie tomorrow. But we know that if it streams tomorrow, everyone involved will lose hundreds of millions of dollars. Holding out hope for a traditional box office that could top 1 billion is a gamble, but not an unreasonable one given the circumstances.

A slightly stiffer upper lip might be useful here, and a bit of perspective.

Honestly speaking, even if it comes out in theaters, there is no way in Hell it makes even close to the amounts of the last or what they are likely hoping for as a return. There is too much backlog at this point with a crap ton of competition and too little spots... especially with Hollywood back to filming on new projects added with the already staggering amount of delayed projects.

Add to that even when virus numbers look well enough to promise some semblance of normality, we have no way of knowing what audience numbers will even look like as we have nothing to compare this to.

That is the real question here is will it all have been a gamble over the same disappointing returns either way with a release now or later. I don't even expect other franchises like MI or Fast 9 to make close to the numbers they are used to even with a delay to 2022.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 3,273
    km16 wrote: »

Yes, COVID is awful in a lot of ways. This still isn't a patch on the Spanish flu, the world wars, or the great depression - to name just a few things in the last century. If the worst thing that happens to us all through this is that a Bond movie is delayed for a while . . . well, then we'll have done bloody great.

I'm a fan, and yes - selfishly, I'd love to watch the movie tomorrow. But we know that if it streams tomorrow, everyone involved will lose hundreds of millions of dollars. Holding out hope for a traditional box office that could top 1 billion is a gamble, but not an unreasonable one given the circumstances.

Honestly speaking, even if it comes out in theaters, there is no way in Hell it makes even close to the amounts of the last or what they are likely hoping for as a return. There is too much backlog at this point with a crap ton of competition and too little spots... especially with Hollywood back to filming on new projects added with the already staggering amount of delayed projects.

Add to that even when virus numbers look well enough to promise some semblance of normality, we have no way of knowing what audience numbers will even look like as we have nothing to compare this to.

That is the real question here is will it all have been a gamble over the same disappointing returns either way with a release now or later. I don't even expect other franchises like MI or Fast 9 to make close to the numbers they are used to even with a delay to 2022.

Its safe to say releasing the film when lockdowns have ended, everyone has been vaccinated, and cinemas are fully open again will give EON a better chance of return, than releasing it during the middle of a pandemic, with half the cinemas closed and lockdowns still enforced across most countries.

Doesn't sound like much of a gamble to me. It's pretty much a no brainer.
    At this rate will see Avatar 2 before NTTD
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

Its safe to say releasing the film when lockdowns have ended, everyone has been vaccinated, and cinemas are fully open again will give EON a better chance of return, than releasing it during the middle of a pandemic, with half the cinemas closed and lockdowns still enforced across most countries.

That’s THE point.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 187

Except for the fact it is a gamble. This movie HAS to make so much for it to be deemed a success. How do they know when audiences will be fully ready? Just because most are vaccinated and numbers are down with businesses open doesn't equal audience comfortability. So who becomes the guinea pig films? How long do they wait after that point? Can they even risk an even lengthier wait than that financially?
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 3,160
    QsCat wrote: »
    At this rate will see Avatar 2 before NTTD

And a couple of MI- movies. For anyone to think that NTTD will be released only when it has a chance of breaking even: it's not going to happen. From your local stores to the entire airline and several other industries, revenues are lost because of Covid-19.

I reckon they realize that there's a certain time to cut your losses and move on. Maybe after postponing for a 10th time or so....
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think a few have already suggested it will be the 60th anniversary Movie. ;)
    I think a few have already suggested it will be the 60th anniversary Movie. ;)

The financial pressure to release in 2021 will be (is) enormous. If the Fall looks like it will work with the Covid vaccines helping societies get back to some form of normality, they will go for it.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Streaming wars: how threatening are they really to the film industry?
    https://screenhub.com.au/news-article/features/film/the-conversation/streaming-wars-how-threatening-are-they-really-to-the-film-industry-261728

In an analysis of how threatening streaming is to the future of cinemas, Screen Hub points out that, while cinema has faced many challenges during its existence, the new and ever increasing streaming services have thus far had to face a crisis, threat or challenge.

While PVOD might seem like the easiest short term solution to NTTD's release dilemma, it could just as easily, and knowing MGM's lack of business sense, be a disaster.
  • edited January 2021 Posts: 3,273

Except for the fact it is a gamble. This movie HAS to make so much for it to be deemed a success. How do they know when audiences will be fully ready? Just because most are vaccinated and numbers are down with businesses open doesn't equal audience comfortability. So who becomes the guinea pig films? How long do they wait after that point? Can they even risk an even lengthier wait than that financially?

They ain't going to release this when the pandemic is in full swing and cinemas are closed, that's for sure. The only time they may release this is when lockdowns are over, vaccinations are well through most of the population, and cinemas are fully open. When that date will be, who knows, but I seriously doubt it will be any time this year.

I hope I'm wrong.
    matt_u wrote: »

That’s THE point.

Thanks.
    Things could be worse..........................NTTD could have been shut down midway through had the timing been different. At least there is a completed film waiting in the wings.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

100% true, although I will say, significantly worse things have happened to members of this forum as a result of the virus than just the delay of the film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2021 Posts: 40,372

100% true, although I will say, significantly worse things have happened to members of this forum as a result of the virus than just the delay of the film.

This. Really puts the complaining and selfishness into perspective when some members on here have had real, devastating losses due to the pandemic.
  • Neverturnback007Neverturnback007 Worldwide
    edited January 2021 Posts: 9

They've held back this long, Eon and MGM won't blow a theatrical release now, especially as the first vaccines are landing within days. So that's 4 months of things gradually improving before April 2nd.

I want to be able to see No time to Die in the cinema the way it was intended in honesty.

However, having said that the wait for this has been eventful but it may actually have a worldwide audience inbuilt that would break streaming records. The problem is the diversity of platforms thus reducing the possibility of audience numbers overall.

If they somehow created a non-exclusive deal with Netflix, Amazon, Hula, CBS, Peacock, and HBO all together plus foreign non-English speaking entities to target everyone they would maybe consider it but that is impossible to actually accomplish and charging a flat fee on top of a subscription service is difficult to even integrate.

A worldwide streaming premiere over all platforms on the 2nd of April would be a total event reminiscent of a different era of television for Bond.
    Contraband wrote: »
    I have a question: Scene 155, going by the clapperboard, with Craig, Fiennes, Kinnear meeting in Hammersmith, chatting away. What's that in terms of minutes into the movie?

We know the final scene is 253 and the movie runs for 2h 43mins so that 163 minutes, multiply by 60 for seconds and divide that by 253 scenes and its an average of 38.6 seconds per scene. So, 155 scenes is about the 1h 40mins mark.
  • Maybe people's habits become more embedded and cinema doesn't offer the same allure it once did when normality returns. People were consuming media in a quickly changing way prior to Covid anyway. Maybe the death of blockbusters is on the horizon.
    There's a part of me that wonders if EoN are kicking themselves for dragging their heels and waiting for Craig to come back. We could have had Bond number 7 in Bond 25 around 2018/2019.
    Bond 25 should of been out in 2018.
    Maybe people's habits become more embedded and cinema doesn't offer the same allure it once did when normality returns. People were consuming media in a quickly changing way prior to Covid anyway. Maybe the death of blockbusters is on the horizon.
    There's a part of me that wonders if EoN are kicking themselves for dragging their heels and waiting for Craig to come back. We could have had Bond number 7 in Bond 25 around 2018/2019.

That's a very good point. With the rise of Netflix and TV series now becoming more popular, and where you find most A list actors heading towards, the traditional Hollywood blockbuster has lost its appeal over the past few years, being taken over by the rise of comic book adaptations, where DC and Marvel now dominate and rule.

I noticed over the past few years there were frequently less films I was wanting to see at the cinema. I stopped buying movie magazines like Empire because every damned month there was another superhero on the front cover. It felt like Hollywood was becoming stale long before Covid hit, and the lure of cinema was already losing its appeal.

Couple this with home TV screens getting bigger and bigger over the years, sound bars and surround sound becoming easier and cheaper to install, and streaming services now the main platform for watching content, its easy to see how Covid is accelerating a trend that was already starting to happen.

The same way the death of the high street has been accelerated by Covid too.

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    On the other hand we could possibly be heading for a golden age of going out.
    One never knows how feelings change in the future, but I for one am close to being done watching TV all the damn time.
    It will take some time yet to feel safe, but going to a concert or a film screening and a bar or restaurant afterwards sounds just about like the best thing in the world to me right now.
    One never knows how feelings change in the future, but I for one am close to being done watching TV all the damn time.
    It will take some time yet to feel safe, but going to a concert or a film screening and a bar or restaurant afterwards sounds just about like the best thing in the world to me right now.

I couldn't agree more.

I think if they time it right and release Bond as restrictions are lifted, and inoculations rise, and before other films are released, it might not make $100m in the first weekend but with few if any other movies out, over many weeks it could be the big draw Tenet was supposed to be and we'll see a $1 billion plus worldwide gross.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    Someone wrote: »
    I have a question: Scene 155, going by the clapperboard, with Craig, Fiennes, Kinnear meeting in Hammersmith, chatting away. What's that in terms of minutes into the movie?

We know the final scene is 253 and the movie runs for 2h 43mins so that 163 minutes, multiply by 60 for seconds and divide that by 253 scenes and its an average of 38.6 seconds per scene. So, 155 scenes is about the 1h 40mins mark.

Where is the clapperboard photo? Like to add it to my current storyboard.
    I think that VR will also be a part of the new equation as we move forward with the future of entertainment. Right now you can pick up an Oculus Quest 2 for $300.00 which is a top of the line stand alone VR headset that doesn't even need a computer to run it. On the free app. Bigscreen you can already watch most of the Bond films in a simulated theater environment with other viewers on a Imax size screen. Having tried it myself it is pretty amazing to experience this at home. I would love to see NTTD presented this way as well as a limited special real theater release.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited January 2021 Posts: 3,018

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Someone wrote: »

Where is the clapperboard photo? Like to add it to my current storyboard.

@phantomvices If you mean clapper with scene 155, it's in the clapperboard thread.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

+1
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Seeing a film in a theater and sitting down for a meal inside a restaurant are allowed where I live in the US. I follow the rules, and go to a restaurant once or twice a week. Monday is a holiday here, I plan to see WW84.

• delfloria wrote: »
    I think that VR will also be a part of the new equation as we move forward with the future of entertainment. Right now you can pick up an Oculus Quest 2 for $300.00 which is a top of the line stand alone VR headset that doesn't even need a computer to run it. On the free app. Bigscreen you can already watch most of the Bond films in a simulated theater environment with other viewers on a Imax size screen. Having tried it myself it is pretty amazing to experience this at home. I would love to see NTTD presented this way as well as a limited special real theater release.

I don't.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2021 Posts: 7,969
    Whats to stop them from moving Bond 25 straight from April 2021 to early 2022?

Maybe that's why they haven't announced a delay yet, they are still weighing up the options.

It's not remotely ideal for Bond to drop straight on top of Mission Impossible 7, especially since they can wait just a couple more months and celebrate the 60th anniversary with the new movie. The marketing pratically writes itself.

• Whats to stop them from moving Bond 25 straight from April 2021 to early 2022?

Maybe that's why they haven't announced a delay yet, they are still weighing up the options.

It's not remotely ideal for Bond to drop straight on top of Mission Impossible 7, especially since they can wait just a couple more months and celebrate the 60th anniversary with the new movie. The marketing pratically writes itself.

November 2021.