Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

jobo wrote: »
    If it was up to me I'd ban McDonalds outright! >:)

Never liked McDonalds food at all, so I'm with you there, @jobo!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    From my perspective, the people who whine about "woke" people, or "SJW"s are more annoying than the subjects of the whining. Those two words make me cringe more than anything else. But maybe I'm lucky that I haven't experienced too much of this, despite living in liberal Vancouver, BC.

It depends. 'Woke' crusaders who pull your words out of context in order to militantly unmask yet another "bad person" and earn some SJW popularity that day, can inflict a lot of damage on a person. Woke people are quick to call for someone to be fired, for example. A silly classroom episode can turn into a PR nightmare for a school which may eventually consider, just to save face, to suspend a teacher. It happened to a colleague of mine. In fact, in this very thread, I recently posted about a personal experience that I'd had with an "agent of Woke" in my classroom just the other day. I was lucky, though. She had nothing on me and the school paid no attention whatsoever. It was somewhat scary, nevertheless. I was talking some simple science, and my words were somehow twisted and bent to serve a distorted logic. Granted, the teen herself clearly has issues, so I know that she doesn't represent the entire Wokeverse.

You see, I'm smart enough to realise that individuals rarely represent an entire group, that one or two idiots shouldn't get me worked up over thousands of bloggers, tweeters and protestors. But I can't help turning annoyance into anger and sometimes complete loss of decorum when the silliest demands are made, like the hamburger thing. Behind every Woke or SJW uproar, there's usually a solid mission, at least in principle. The basics can rarely be disagreed with. Equality, empowerment, respect... these are matters of common sense. Unfortunately, activism can easily become tribalism, the fight for justice nothing more than an attempt to belong to a group and finger-pointing nothing more than a pursuit of SJW street cred. Unreasonable demands can replace good intentions overnight and the frightening part is that such demands are often given in to because people are afraid of becoming next week's target on FB, Twitter and the other sewer pits of modern society. And that can backfire fast because one victory gives Wokers an appetite for more. They will seek them out, and they will find them, justified or not.

I agree, @NickTwentyTwo, that those who cry "Woke!" can be just as extreme in their complaints as the more militant faction of the Woke community itself. I sometimes agree with one and other times with the other, provided they maintain reasonable rhetoric in their activism and their complaints. That said, I can't help but find myself more frequently on the side of the "anti-Woke police", because I strongly believe that we shouldn't assume that every traditional element in our world harbours evil, sexist, racist, homophobe, ... intentions; therefore, let's not attack every . single . thing that supposedly symbolizes repression, enslavement and disrespect, but really doesn't.
    The unfortunate thing is that outrage against "political correctness", "woke", "SJWs", "libtard snowflakes" (or whatever they call it) is in so many cases used as justification for racist views, hate or rejection of science when it doesn't suite your personal needs or political ideology. I sure agree that political correctnes can go out of hand occationally. I think it is a very minor concern however compared to all the destructive bigotry and absurd conspiracy theories plaguing society today...
    The unfortunate thing is that outrage against "political correctness", "woke", "SJWs", "libtard snowflakes" (or whatever they call it) is in so many cases used as justification for racist views, hate or rejection of science when it doesn't suite your personal needs or political ideology.

Well, I'm sure you know me well enough, @jobo, to know that is not the case with me. ;)
    I sure agree that political correctnes can go out of hand occationally. I think it is a very minor concern however compared to all the destructive bigotry and absurd conspiracy theories plaguing society today...

I believe that one can catalyse the other, but I agree that conspiracy theories are a big problem today. It's medieval superstition crawling back into our thinking, but then in an era where such can do even more damage than before. Conspiracy nutters, "Illuminati" people, alien probing "victims", flat-earthers, creationists, vaccines-cause-autism crazies, ... have either watched too many movies or need to go back to school, urgently.

But that doesn't mean I like political correctness getting out of hand. Both of these extremes are not what we need in this day and age.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The problem is both sides use (political) points of view and portray them as facts. They stay in their own bubble confirming those 'facts'. Yesterday I spoke to my father. He warned me about a USA under Biden, for Biden was 'corrupt'. When I challenged him on this he said ' oh go and look it up, it's all on the internet'. So I told him that that's a typical conspiracy theory reaction, from those who read too much Zero Hedge and the like. He thought it was an innocent reply. It isn't.
    But, for arguments sake and to see if there was any legitimacy to these claims i googled it, and sure enough there was a truckload of websites, all pretending to be trustworthy, with names close to existing papers like guardiannewssun.com or whatever, who one by one claimed Biden was corrupt, because his son was corrupt, because he'd been talking to Ukrainians and promised one guy he could meet his father. Yes, one email about meeting Joe Biden turned out to be proof of Joe's unfitness for president. The one article that held any ground at all referred to Biden talking to his (WS) donors. The only problem is, that isn't corruption, that's how politics are organised in the US. You will find absolutely none politician who hasn't talked to his/her backers and taken over some of their views. Or, possibly, the other way around, they were suported because of their views.
    The odd thing is, my father is a very intelligent man, highly educated and with years and years of experience. But apparently even those can get caught in the 'main stream media' is evil hype, following all sorts of unsubstantiated claims.
    I'm not saying Biden isn't corrupt, for all I know he can be, but there's been no proof whatsoever. And if there was he should've been held up in court about it.

The internet was supposed to enhance our critical thinking, and it's doing the exact opposite.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Funny, the corporate media for the most part fit that description to a tee: Spewing conspiracy theories and unsubstantiated claims.

At the same time, several news sites who do present documented evidence and link to their sources, are often lumped together with all the whackos out there and dismissed altogether, simply because the narrative doesn t align with the official version.
    The problem is both sides use (political) points of view and portray them as facts. They stay in their own bubble confirming those 'facts'. Yesterday I spoke to my father. He warned me about a USA under Biden, for Biden was 'corrupt'. When I challenged him on this he said ' oh go and look it up, it's all on the internet'. So I told him that that's a typical conspiracy theory reaction, from those who read too much Zero Hedge and the like. He thought it was an innocent reply. It isn't.
    But, for arguments sake and to see if there was any legitimacy to these claims i googled it, and sure enough there was a truckload of websites, all pretending to be trustworthy, with names close to existing papers like guardiannewssun.com or whatever, who one by one claimed Biden was corrupt, because his son was corrupt, because he'd been talking to Ukrainians and promised one guy he could meet his father. Yes, one email about meeting Joe Biden turned out to be proof of Joe's unfitness for president. The one article that held any ground at all referred to Biden talking to his (WS) donors. The only problem is, that isn't corruption, that's how politics are organised in the US. You will find absolutely none politician who hasn't talked to his/her backers and taken over some of their views. Or, possibly, the other way around, they were suported because of their views.
    The odd thing is, my father is a very intelligent man, highly educated and with years and years of experience. But apparently even those can get caught in the 'main stream media' is evil hype, following all sorts of unsubstantiated claims.
    I'm not saying Biden isn't corrupt, for all I know he can be, but there's been no proof whatsoever. And if there was he should've been held up in court about it.

The internet was supposed to enhance our critical thinking, and it's doing the exact opposite.

My point is that I think this is far more concerning than a small minority being offended by the the name of a burger at a junk chain I make an effort to stay away from. The latter story is more amusing, sure, but that is not something I will spare any energy worrying about...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    From my perspective, the people who whine about "woke" people, or "SJW"s are more annoying than the subjects of the whining. Those two words make me cringe more than anything else. But maybe I'm lucky that I haven't experienced too much of this, despite living in liberal Vancouver, BC.

It depends. 'Woke' crusaders who pull your words out of context in order to militantly unmask yet another "bad person" and earn some SJW popularity that day, can inflict a lot of damage on a person. Woke people are quick to call for someone to be fired, for example. A silly classroom episode can turn into a PR nightmare for a school which may eventually consider, just to save face, to suspend a teacher. It happened to a colleague of mine. In fact, in this very thread, I recently posted about a personal experience that I'd had with an "agent of Woke" in my classroom just the other day. I was lucky, though. She had nothing on me and the school paid no attention whatsoever. It was somewhat scary, nevertheless. I was talking some simple science, and my words were somehow twisted and bent to serve a distorted logic. Granted, the teen herself clearly has issues, so I know that she doesn't represent the entire Wokeverse.

You see, I'm smart enough to realise that individuals rarely represent an entire group, that one or two idiots shouldn't get me worked up over thousands of bloggers, tweeters and protestors. But I can't help turning annoyance into anger and sometimes complete loss of decorum when the silliest demands are made, like the hamburger thing. Behind every Woke or SJW uproar, there's usually a solid mission, at least in principle. The basics can rarely be disagreed with. Equality, empowerment, respect... these are matters of common sense. Unfortunately, activism can easily become tribalism, the fight for justice nothing more than an attempt to belong to a group and finger-pointing nothing more than a pursuit of SJW street cred. Unreasonable demands can replace good intentions overnight and the frightening part is that such demands are often given in to because people are afraid of becoming next week's target on FB, Twitter and the other sewer pits of modern society. And that can backfire fast because one victory gives Wokers an appetite for more. They will seek them out, and they will find them, justified or not.

I agree, @NickTwentyTwo, that those who cry "Woke!" can be just as extreme in their complaints as the more militant faction of the Woke community itself. I sometimes agree with one and other times with the other, provided they maintain reasonable rhetoric in their activism and their complaints. That said, I can't help but find myself more frequently on the side of the "anti-Woke police", because I strongly believe that we shouldn't assume that every traditional element in our world harbours evil, sexist, racist, homophobe, ... intentions; therefore, let's not attack every . single . thing that supposedly symbolizes repression, enslavement and disrespect, but really doesn't.

Fair play. People getting fired from within the school system for using the wrong pronouns, for example, is a huge problem. I suppose you see more of that side of it from within the school system.
    Today, I yelled at the TV set. Why ? Well, I was watching the news, and they were talking about that accident/attack that left four people dead in Trier today. Having done my military service in that town, of course I know the place in which this tragedy happened. But I didn't yell because of that. No, what made my blood boil was the fact that the journalist kept saying that Trier is in the east of Germany. And this at the same time that a map showing its rightful location (in the west of Germany, near Luxemburg) was shown on screen. And not only that, but she kept repeating the same mistake three times !!! Apparently, a knowledge in geography is not a prerequisite to be a newsreader. Pathetic !
    Talking of woke and cancel culture: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5822258
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Talking of woke and cancel culture: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5822258

The article states it well. Many are as yet insufficiently prepared to handle allegations of racism, sexism, ... and overreactions, including firing people and pulling book and film titles from certain lists, become the norm.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Funny, the corporate media for the most part fit that description to a tee: Spewing conspiracy theories and unsubstantiated claims.

At the same time, several news sites who do present documented evidence and link to their sources, are often lumped together with all the whackos out there and dismissed altogether, simply because the narrative doesn t align with the official version.

Depends on the country (ies) you're referring to, but it sure counts for the USA and UK, where corporate bosses tend to have strong political views.

The problem with many of those smaller parties is that they do link to their source, but don't check the source, or it's trustworthyness. I've often had to debunk articles just by following the links they provided themselves.

And there you have it. After years of being a loyal customer of bookdepository.co.uk, with almost weekly purchases, I was told today that because of Brexit, my country is no longer being served. Just like that. They have taken my money for years, and now, suddenly, I'm no longer welcome. Isolation is a sign of going backwards, people!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Just went on to the site, bookdespository.co.uk. Deliveries are being affected because of Brexit and Coronavirus.

This is a extract from the site -

"All European Countries (excluding the United Kingdom and Ireland)
    Please be aware that we had to temporarily cease accepting new orders to all European countries (excluding the United Kingdom and Ireland). If you have placed a recent order with us, your order is on its way, please allow 5-10 extra business days for delivery. Please be assured that we are working with our carriers to get orders to our customers as soon as possible. If we are unable to deliver your order, we will refund you and notify you by email."

Note "temporarily". Maybe they needed a few weeks just to get used to the new Brexit rules and regulations. Covid isn't helping either I should imagine.

Maybe it isn't isolationism, rather sheer practicalities that are the cause.
    royale65 wrote: »
    Just went on to the site, bookdespository.co.uk. Deliveries are being affected because of Brexit and Coronavirus.

Please be aware that we had to temporarily cease accepting new orders to all European countries (excluding the United Kingdom and Ireland). If you have placed a recent order with us, your order is on its way, please allow 5-10 extra business days for delivery. Please be assured that we are working with our carriers to get orders to our customers as soon as possible. If we are unable to deliver your order, we will refund you and notify you by email."

Note "temporarily". Maybe they needed a few weeks just to get used to the new Brexit rules and regulations. Covid isn't helping either I should imagine.

Thanks. I hope that is indeed the case. However, when I spoke with the person on the other side of the chat function, (s)he said that because of Brexit, further sales to the European mainland were suspended indefinitely, with the exception of (pre-)orders already paid for. (S)he "hoped" that "someday" shipping to Europe could resume, but for now, no such thing. I took that as "we're not gonna". I have, in the meantime, found another UK based book store that still ships to Europe. I hope bookdepository does at some point become available again. I really love that store. :) Still, the first response that my fellow bookworms and I had was something along the line of [...] you, Nigel and Boris, you [...] [...] [...] sons of [...], you! ;)
    They probably just didn't read up on their paperwork. Afak the deal means they can ship without problems.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    royale65 wrote: »

Thanks. I hope that is indeed the case. However, when I spoke with the person on the other side of the chat function, (s)he said that because of Brexit, further sales to the European mainland were suspended indefinitely, with the exception of (pre-)orders already paid for. (S)he "hoped" that "someday" shipping to Europe could resume, but for now, no such thing. I took that as "we're not gonna". I have, in the meantime, found another UK based book store that still ships to Europe. I hope bookdepository does at some point become available again. I really love that store. :) Still, the first response that my fellow bookworms and I had was something along the line of [...] you, Nigel and Boris, you [...] [...] [...] sons of [...], you! ;)

I do hope so to. Mainly because "book depository" is an awesome term.

The same thing is happening in comic book stores in Paris (well, the two I frequent anyway). Comics that were supposed to be out last week failed to appear, and this week, I only got four out of twelve I intended to buy. The rest ? Blocked on the other side of the Channel. This year doesn't begin well, and I don't see the situation getting better in the foreseeable future.
  • BondLLCLawyerBondLLCLawyer Here and there mate- owning an LLC takes you there and back.
    Barbara Broccoli needs to step down, now! Eon has been run to shambles under her leadership - The Rhythm Section was a disappointing box office disaster. It shows that new leadership is needed.!
    Barbara Broccoli needs to step down, now! Eon has been run to shambles under her leadership - The Rhythm Section was a disappointing box office disaster. It shows that new leadership is needed.!

Absolutely! I mean, come on! The highest grossing Bond films ever! Whoe needsTHAT?!?!?!?

You're right, of course:
    • The Brosnan and Craig years were a complete disaster! Nothing but high-grossing films, praise and oscars. Whew! What horror it must be to the entitled fan.
    • Michael G. Wilson doesn't exist for the entitled fan. He never does.
    • Why don't they "just make more, good movies"? I mean, how hard can it be to produce something like a Bond film, which is just one of the biggest things in cinema, and also to have it distributed, especially since Harry was kind enough to unload his shares to some business types who enjoy passing them around every couple of years, with tough negotiations meanwhile preventing EON from doing anything at all?
    • Why -- oh, why did Barbara have to create and spread the coronavirus? I understand the Broccolis have a special sense of humour, but this joke, I don't get. Now the entitled fan doesn't get his candy soon enough...
    • ... oh, and the fact that we have 24 (or 26?) other Bond films in the catalogue already, along with tons of books, comics, games, ... is something the entitled fan seems all too happy to forget...
    • ... which says a lot about the entitled fan being an actual fan: he craves a new Bond film--yeah, very soon please--because the other Bonds aren't good enough to keep him distracted till the next one rolls out? "I love Bond so gimme a new Bond, I'm entitled, and if I don't get another one soon enough, the daughter of one of the series' founding fathers has . to . be . fired! (and who is that Michael G. Wilson guy?)" translates as "I don't really appreciate Bond but I'm a loathsome byproduct of this consumer society and I crave new product, no matter what, because why be an actual fan who is pleased with the wonderful stuff already thrown in our laps when you can be hungry for more new stuff?"
    • Why NOT release your really expensive film in theatres, even with 3/4 of all theatres worldwide in lockdown? Surely the entitled fan is going to risk sitting next to someone infected and is going to buy enough tickets to make this an epic success?
    • Or why NOT just stream it online? Then too, the entitled fan will make sure that enough copies are downloaded or watched for the film to make 800 million dollars. No biggie.
    • New leadership is needed! And the entitled fan, who is an expert in everything it seems, will tell you who can best replace the person who not only grew up right in the middle of all this, but who has been co-running the show with her stepbrother for a quarter of a century, during which major successes were achieved.
    • The Rhythm Section was a disaster. You've heard it, people. One bad film and we don't like you anymore. Michael Mann, The Keep was bad: no career for you! Fincher, you still here after Alien³? Spielberg, you old hack, 1941 buys you a ticket to movie jail so no E.T., Raiders or Jurassic Park for you, mate. Nolan, Batman Begins had one of the worst BO results in the entire Batman film legacy: The Dark Knight will never be made by you, sir. The Incredible Hulk, what an underperforming stinker that is! Let's just pull the plug on the entire MCU after two films before more damage is done!

Yes, the logic of the entitled fan is about as solid as mashed potatoes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's important to remember that the woman is always the bad one. Broccoli, Lynch etc. Unless she poses in her knickers for photos, then she's good.
    mtm wrote: »
    It's important to remember that the woman is always the bad one. Broccoli, Lynch etc. Unless she poses in her knickers for photos, then she's good.

Yes. Barbara was quite the looker back in the day, and she still is. I bet if she had done a Playboy shoot, more kindness would reach her.

But hey, same thing with Kathleen Kennedy. She took all the beating for the recent Star Wars backlash. When something good happened, she was never mentioned. When something disappointing happened, she was the only one mentioned.

Obviously, people in power take a lot of heat when fans are displeased. It's like when football fans demand that a trainer is fired because of two or three poor games. And there is some sense in that, I guess.

But other than the huge gaps between Bond films since 2002, I fail to see what Barbara can be "blamed" for, and even those gaps aren't her fault. My take on it all is that a creative process should always take the time it needs. When delays are caused by strikes or messy MGM/UA/SONY/... deals, then I'm angry too but my anger is then aimed at the suits, not at Barbara, who obviously has nothing to do with those issues.

And again, why indeed target the woman? Michael is in this just as well. Another member (I forgot who) pointed out not too long ago that some of the things fans seem to hate Barbara for were actually Michael's decision!

The fact is I don't need either of both fired. I'll happily trade quantity for quality. The Brosnan years and the Craig years have on average been really satisfying in my book. I'd rather have a good film every four years than mediocre stuff every two years. I'm sure that Michael, given his age, will retire at some point and then someone else with climb the throne. But whoever that is, let's just hope and pray that it won't be one of these whining fans who gets to have any saying in the matter.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) I don't know if it still holds the record but wasn't Skyfall the most successful
    British film of all time ? I wish I was that bad
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

You're right, of course:
    • The Brosnan and Craig years were a complete disaster! Nothing but high-grossing films, praise and oscars. Whew! What horror it must be to the entitled fan.
    • Michael G. Wilson doesn't exist for the entitled fan. He never does.
    • Why don't they "just make more, good movies"? I mean, how hard can it be to produce something like a Bond film, which is just one of the biggest things in cinema, and also to have it distributed, especially since Harry was kind enough to unload his shares to some business types who enjoy passing them around every couple of years, with tough negotiations meanwhile preventing EON from doing anything at all?
    • Why -- oh, why did Barbara have to create and spread the coronavirus? I understand the Broccolis have a special sense of humour, but this joke, I don't get. Now the entitled fan doesn't get his candy soon enough...
    • ... oh, and the fact that we have 24 (or 26?) other Bond films in the catalogue already, along with tons of books, comics, games, ... is something the entitled fan seems all too happy to forget...
    • ... which says a lot about the entitled fan being an actual fan: he craves a new Bond film--yeah, very soon please--because the other Bonds aren't good enough to keep him distracted till the next one rolls out? "I love Bond so gimme a new Bond, I'm entitled, and if I don't get another one soon enough, the daughter of one of the series' founding fathers has . to . be . fired! (and who is that Michael G. Wilson guy?)" translates as "I don't really appreciate Bond but I'm a loathsome byproduct of this consumer society and I crave new product, no matter what, because why be an actual fan who is pleased with the wonderful stuff already thrown in our laps when you can be hungry for more new stuff?"
    • Why NOT release your really expensive film in theatres, even with 3/4 of all theatres worldwide in lockdown? Surely the entitled fan is going to risk sitting next to someone infected and is going to buy enough tickets to make this an epic success?
    • Or why NOT just stream it online? Then too, the entitled fan will make sure that enough copies are downloaded or watched for the film to make 800 million dollars. No biggie.
    • New leadership is needed! And the entitled fan, who is an expert in everything it seems, will tell you who can best replace the person who not only grew up right in the middle of all this, but who has been co-running the show with her stepbrother for a quarter of a century, during which major successes were achieved.
    • The Rhythm Section was a disaster. You've heard it, people. One bad film and we don't like you anymore. Michael Mann, The Keep was bad: no career for you! Fincher, you still here after Alien³? Spielberg, you old hack, 1941 buys you a ticket to movie jail so no E.T., Raiders or Jurassic Park for you, mate. Nolan, Batman Begins had one of the worst BO results in the entire Batman film legacy: The Dark Knight will never be made by you, sir. The Incredible Hulk, what an underperforming stinker that is! Let's just pull the plug on the entire MCU after two films before more damage is done!

Yes, the logic of the entitled fan is about as solid as mashed potatoes.

I think he might own an LLC, maybe we should listen to him.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2021 Posts: 17,787
    I think we've seen this person sow dragon's teeth before, have we not? Suffice to say that his modus operandi is familiar.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    :)) I don't know if it still holds the record but wasn't Skyfall the most successful
    British film of all time ? I wish I was that bad

Ha! Yes, although googling seems to suggest that Star Wars Force Awakens is now the biggest British movie ever, which seems... questionable. But I guess Bond is as British as Star Wars is!
    So Macaulay Culkin is advocating cutting Donald Trump's cameo from Home Alone 2. Now I'm no fan of Trump but this growing trend for cutting stuff from movies and old TV because it doesn't fit in with modern attitudes is very worrying. Movies and TV are products of their time and should be viewed as such. The latest victim of this nonsense in the UK is Grease whish is now apparently racist, sexist and homophobic according to the woke brigade
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    So Macaulay Culkin is advocating cutting Donald Trump's cameo from Home Alone 2. Now I'm no fan of Trump but this growing trend for cutting stuff from movies and old TV because it doesn't fit in with modern attitudes is very worrying. Movies and TV are products of their time and should be viewed as such. The latest victim of this nonsense in the UK is Grease whish is now apparently racist, sexist and homophobic according to the woke brigade

Agreed completely.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Even listening to a few old comedies on bbc radio 4, they play a warning
    before then stating they represent views and opinions of their time. I
    would have thought that was pretty obvious. Why not let people make
    up their own minds, we are supposed to be adults.