No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    delfloria wrote: »
    Does anyone know the brand of baseball cap he wears on his sailboat?

Its thought to be the Barbour Coopersworth Baseball Hat.
    mtm wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing this nice shot before..?

ErIIlaNXMAAZspw?format=jpg&name=medium

Super photograph! I myself have not seen this one before! :-bd
  • QBranch wrote: »
    Also 'A brilliant darkness' about Italian physicists Ettore Majorana and a book by Martin Amis
    Thank you. The Amis book looks to be Time's Arrow.

Should be this cover
    41t-UAm-RQv9-L-SX327-BO1-204-203-200.jpg

Curious choice. A brilliant book, but not exactly 'light reading,' either. Read it many years ago, but think about it fairly often.

The propmaster is definitely painting an interesting picture of Bond's retirement. . .
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 13,896
    In SF, there were some books in M's apartment which I believe the prop department chose specifically as a nod to the film's story. For example:

Global Non-Proliferation and Counter-Terrorism (Silva's terrorist plot)

Churchill Defiant: Fighting on 1945-1955 (M is defiant, and will 'leave when the job is done'

Last year, I extended this theory to NTTD - that the other two stacks of books seen in Bond's villa not only relate to NTTD's story (however loosely), but may also be stacked in order of how the story unfolds. Of course, the titles could be interpreted in different ways. If this is indeed the case, I wonder how these latest few books tie in.

Some examples from NTTD, in stacked order:

The Complete Book of Sea Fishing (this book is near the top of the stack, and Bond is fishing for snapper very early on in the film)
    Welcome Aboard! (Cuban fishing boat?)
    Farming the Edge of the Sea (Safin's rumoured algae farming plot)
    Sunset Song (this book sits below all the other books - a nod to the films' ending?)
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    So to mercilessly over-analyze the three books:

Time's Arrow could be a nod to the time jump in the movie and/or Bond "going back" into service? A very dark possibility would be a connection between the main character of that book (and his work) and Safin.

The other two, I'm grasping at straws.

The subject of A Brilliant Darkness, Ettore Majorana, was a nuclear physicist who disappeared at sea.
    From wikipedia: A Majorana fermion, also referred to as a Majorana particle, is a fermion that is its own antiparticle. In particle physics, every type of particle is associated with an antiparticle with the same mass but with opposite physical charges (such as electric charge).
    Possibly a very convoluted way of insinuating Safin and Bond are each other's opposite equal = antiparticle?

Postwar could be just the on the nose point that this is a book someone like Bond might read (or be given) in retirement. Also, the story of post-war Europe is in a way the story of the Bond film franchise.
    I plan on reading this in the future, but a quick overview suggests that Judt explicitly didn't have a "grand theory", so there is not a lot to grasp here. He seems to focus on the end of grand political ideologies at the end of this timeframe, but that is something that has been a reality in all of the Craig Bonds.
    The subject of A Brilliant Darkness, Ettore Majorana, was a nuclear physicist who disappeared at sea.
    From wikipedia: A Majorana fermion, also referred to as a Majorana particle, is a fermion that is its own antiparticle. In particle physics, every type of particle is associated with an antiparticle with the same mass but with opposite physical charges (such as electric charge).
    Possibly a very convoluted way of insinuating Safin and Bond are each other's opposite equal = antiparticle?
    I was only thinking on the surface, about the missing (kidnapped) scientist Obruchev, but I like this connection too. Thanks for playing along!
    QBranch wrote: »
    I was only thinking on the surface, about the missing (kidnapped) scientist Obruchev, but I like this connection too. Thanks for playing along!

Oh. Yea. Or it is very obviously that. X_X
  • I've read Tony Judt's Postwar back in university - a great read for 20th century history buffs!
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the brand of baseball cap he wears on his sailboat?

Its thought to be the Barbour Coopersworth Baseball Hat.

Thanks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't remember seeing this nice shot before..?

ErIIlaNXMAAZspw?format=jpg&name=medium

So he's wearing his Omega Seamaster here, is that right? So presumably any gadgets it features later Q has either replaced the watch with an identical one or stuck them on?
    Yeah, he adds the gadget to the back of the watch later on.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Straight from the horse' mouth.
  • Here’s a leaked photo of the gadget Q adds to the back of the watch. Should get him out of a few scrapes!9f7905d049f50d7782202ca558151dcb.jpg
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :))
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited January 2021 Posts: 3,018
    deleted
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Contraband wrote: »
    Can't find the right thread for this:

Michael Apted, British director of “The World Is Not Enough” has died, his agency Gersh confirmed. He was 79.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/michael-apted-dead-up-docs-1234881490/
    Here you go:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18752/r-i-p-a-final-farewell-to-members-of-the-james-bond-family#latest
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited January 2021 Posts: 12,988
    octofinger wrote: »
    Also 'A brilliant darkness' about Italian physicists Ettore Majorana and a book by Martin Amis

Should be this cover

Curious choice. A brilliant book, but not exactly 'light reading,' either. Read it many years ago, but think about it fairly often.

The propmaster is definitely painting an interesting picture of Bond's retirement. . .
    Tempus fugit. Martin Amis, son of Kingsley Amis. Daniel Craig and Rachel Weitz bought his Brooklyn Cobble Hill brownstone townshouse in 2018.

They're having some fun with this, definitely.
    4b7502b98ef7b5c7eacf834405225f677dc205c0.png
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    jake24 wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    Can't find the right thread for this:

Michael Apted, British director of “The World Is Not Enough” has died, his agency Gersh confirmed. He was 79.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/michael-apted-dead-up-docs-1234881490/
    Here you go:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/18752/r-i-p-a-final-farewell-to-members-of-the-james-bond-family#latest

Thanks.. and I'm deleting my prevoius post

Straight from the horse' mouth.

533b09b25c74b737-funny-gif-of-the-year-ft-funny-horse.gif
    geek12.jpg

I picked this up - perhaps the first video game magazine to display NTTD on the cover.

Interesting redesign of the logo font.
    geek12.jpg

I picked this up - perhaps the first video game magazine to display NTTD on the cover.

Seeing Bond in the cover of a magazine called Geek. We really are living in strange cultural times.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    octofinger wrote: »

Should be this cover

Tempus fugit. Martin Amis, son of Kingsley Amis. Daniel Craig and Rachel Weitz bought his Brooklyn Cobble Hill brownstone townshouse in 2018.

I didn't know that, that's fun.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    geek12.jpg

The full magazine is available to read here:
    https://read.nxtbook.com/walmart/geek/issue_12/cover.html
    edited January 2021 Posts: 13,896
    Seeing Bond in the cover of a magazine called Geek. We really are living in strange cultural times.
    Once, when I told the receptionist at work I was a huge Bond fan, she laughed and said, "You remind me of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory!".
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    The full magazine is available to read here:
    https://read.nxtbook.com/walmart/geek/issue_12/cover.html
    I won't click on the link, as it'll give me something to look forward to when it arrives. I take it there's no new info in there?
    matt_u wrote: »
    Along these lines.................will NTTD start feeling dated by the time it releases if it contains too many current references or elements?

I thought a lot about that and my answer is no.

From the locations, to the set designs, the cars, the costumes, the cinematography... everything screams a timeless quality.

-"Look kids, there's the 'new' Landrover"
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Along these lines.................will NTTD start feeling dated by the time it releases if it contains too many current references or elements?

From the locations, to the set designs, the cars, the costumes, the cinematography... everything screams a timeless quality.

Yes that is definitely gonna be a problem. In this film Bond drives two vintage AM and a 20 years old Toyota.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I’ve still only seen two of them on the road.

It’s not really a problem, it’s not as if Bond films have to feature cars not available yet.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

I’ve still only seen two of them on the road.

It’s not really a problem, it’s not as if Bond films have to feature cars not available yet.

Slightly off topic but I often think about what a bizarre decision on the part of Aston it was, to not put the DB10 into production. Surely they would’ve sold big numbers in Bond spec? The New vantage might be an evolution of that design but it isn’t screen accurate by a long way. The 10 is a more elegant looking machine in my eyes too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I agree the DB10 looks nicer than the Vantage, but I guess the 10 was really a concept car and probably wasn't designed with various road laws in mind, plus I don't know if it was engineered to fit a gap in their product line. It still looks great though I agree.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Wonder woman 84 will struggle to break 200 million worldwide. Unless EON have some plan for streaming up their sleeve which seems highly unlikely, theres zero chance of Bond 25 being released in April. They need to announce another delay NOW, before people start getting their Hopes up again, and before other films fill the vital end of year spots on the calendar (mid October is still wide open).

The film was originally set to release in October, then Febuary, then April, then November, then April again, so it makes sense that it should return to it's original date. That also means that when it is release on disc they can put out a 60th anniversary boxset with all 25 films included.