NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Can we even be certain Bond 25 will arrive in 2021?

It's certainly feasible, though I don't feel confident it's going to meet its current release without some hybrid model offered.
    I would be very surprised if we haven't seen NTTD by Christmas 2021. Even if April is too early (which it well might be), with a vaccine out it should at the very least be possible to give the film a proper screening by autumn.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

It's certainly feasible, though I don't feel confident it's going to meet its current release without some hybrid model offered.

The question is “Does EON want to go with a Hybrid release model”
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The question is “Does EON want to go with a Hybrid release model”

It seems they don't, at the moment.
    I would imagine the recent HBO Max news might've stirred something in them. If not, best for them to delay sooner rather than later. We won't be close to 100% come April, I'd imagine, so I hope they don't wait until a few weeks are remaining to do so, if that is the case.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Point is HBO Max is part of the WB corporation, and they’re desperate to increase their subscriptions within a market already saturated by Netflix, Disney Plus and Prime. For MGM an hybrid release option like WW would mean losing control of the film. And how about Universal? I don’t see that happening...
    octofinger wrote: »
    I'll be quite curious to see if Wonder Woman can make any money. Anyone know how the combination of box office and streaming revenue will be reported?

WW is already reporting box office figures, not sure how streaming may or may not work. It just depends how they wish to report it, if at all.

It only gets streamed in the US.
    In the rest of the world its a theatre only movie.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2020 Posts: 10,588
    From what I've seen, the rest of the industry was pretty shocked and adamantly against the HBO Max deal. Even the filmmakers whose films were moved to the service (Denis Villeneuve, for example) were pretty outraged, especially as they weren't even given a heads up. I can't imagine Broccoli & Wilson are in any hurry to move to streaming unless there is simply no other way.

The audio/visual component of these films are formatted for theatrical viewing. From their point of view, there's no sense in spending $300 million for people to watch it on their laptops.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    From what I've seen, the rest of the industry was pretty shocked and adamantly against the HBO Max deal. Even the filmmakers whose films were moved to the service (Denis Villeneuve, for example) were pretty outraged, especially as they weren't even given a heads up. I can't imagine Broccoli & Wilson are in any hurry to move to streaming unless there is simply no other way.

Yeah the HBOMax decision was pretty shocking. It was also a bit messed up that they chose not to let any of the filmmakers behind those films know of their decision prior, whereas Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot both received a $10 Million Dollar payout just because WW84 was hitting streaming.

Yet at the same time, it’s hard to fault WB. They had the foresight to see that this pandemic wasn’t going to end anytime soon, and they’ve realized that it does no good in continuing to delay their slate. They had to have known that all the money spent on the budgets of their state wasn’t going to be earned back in box office revenue, so they figured they might as well put the slate on HBOMax and drive in more subscribers.

I kind of wish EON would do the same. NTTD is already up to its neck with the constant delays, it’s already not going to make money at the box office because of its massive budget, and the constant advertising campaigns they’ve done, especially during this time. So in retrospect, there really isn’t any other way. These lockdowns aren’t going to end simply because a vaccine has been developed. I don’t see normality happening at least until the other side of 2021. Besides Peacock (the Comcast streaming service) could also use the hype of a film like NTTD to drive more subscribers as well.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    I believe NTTD will be released next year no matter what.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 40,471
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    I'll be quite curious to see if Wonder Woman can make any money. Anyone know how the combination of box office and streaming revenue will be reported?

WW is already reporting box office figures, not sure how streaming may or may not work. It just depends how they wish to report it, if at all.

Yes, which still leaves numbers to report in the US, both streaming and theatrical, provided they opt to do that with the former method of viewing. Doesn't seem the film has been faring well whatsoever overseas, understandably so.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    No idea in what topic this is best suited, but BIG NEWS:
    MGM is exploring a sale, putting themselves on the market for 5.5 billion $.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/mgm-holdings-studio-behind-james-bond-explores-a-sale-11608588732

Yes, which still leaves numbers to report in the US, both streaming and theatrical, provided they opt to do that with the former method of viewing. Doesn't seem the film has been faring well whatsoever overseas, understandably so.

They will report box office numbers from the us, but not streaming numbers.
    As HBOMax subscribers don't need to pay an extra fee to watch the movie, the streaming will not bring in any money.
    The only way they make money is with New subscribers. But I doubt they will tell us those numbers.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    No idea in what topic this is best suited, but BIG NEWS:
    MGM is exploring a sale, putting themselves on the market for 5.5 billion $.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/mgm-holdings-studio-behind-james-bond-explores-a-sale-11608588732

This is huge!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    No @Mendes4Lyfe , this is MGM’s pattern.

Read the FULL article:
    https://deadline.com/2020/12/mgm-two-investment-banks-to-explore-sale-report-1234660337/

IF they sell, it won’t be until after the release of NTTD — if it’s before, they will be in more a position of weakness.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Well, it depends. For companies like Apple or Disney wouldn’t be more interesting to have such a big film available for their streaming services as a brand new content?
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Same story at screenrant: MGM Wants To Sell Its Entire Movie Studio

https://screenrant.com/mgm-movie-studio-sale-acquisition-possible/

They will report box office numbers from the us, but not streaming numbers.
    As HBOMax subscribers don't need to pay an extra fee to watch the movie, the streaming will not bring in any money.
    The only way they make money is with New subscribers. But I doubt they will tell us those numbers.

Good points, hadn't even thought of that.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    MGM has been a massive albatross around this franchise's neck for decades.
    I guess this means B26 is bound to be delayed. :( Heck.
    I hope WB gets it so I can watch NTTDnon HBO Max baby.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Maybe they should rename the film to, No Time to DieSTRIBUTE.......
    78874e72cf51af434cadfdd12a7bb9ef.gif
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,442
    If you ask me this can be option, release on a Thuesday so it can make a bit more money.

Wonder Woman 1984 06 April 2021 (Dutch release date is now: 20 January 2021)
    Soul: 06 April 2027 (Dutch release date was 25 December 2020, but cinema's are closed till 19 January 2021.)
    Death on the Nile 13 April 2021
    The King's Man 27 April 2021. 27 April = Kingsday in The Netherlands! (Dutch release month is now: March 2021)
    F9 25 May 2021 (American release date set for 28 May 2021.)
    Godzilla Vs Kong: 15 June 2021 (Now: May 2021)
    Minions: The Rise of Gru 29 June 2021 (Dutch release date is now: 30 June 2021)
    No Time To Die 20 July 2021 (Now: 02 April 2021)
    Jungle Cruise 04 August 2021 (Now: 28 July 2021)
    The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard 19 August 2021
    Ghostbusters: Afterlife 14 September 2021 (Now: March 2021)
    Top Gun 2 02 october 2021 (Now: July 2021)
    The 355 16 November 2021 (Now: January 2022)
    Dune 07 December 2021 (Now: September 2021)
    Mission Impossible 7 11 January 2022 or 19 April 2022 (Now: November 2021)
    Jurassic Park 6 21 June 2022 or 05 August 2022 (American release date is now 10 June 2022)
    Fantastic Beasts 3. 19 July 2022. (Expect release date is now 20 July 2022)

I think Dutch cinema's should closed a bit longer till 02 February 2021 and then show some litle movies and movie like Croods 2.
    The movie can no longer release in cinemas in April in the UK, and I have it on good authority that EON are AGAINST the movie going to streaming without a cinematic option on the cards. At this point it seems inevitable that the movie is delayed again, the question is until when? The obvious choice seems to be November 2021, but then if they are going to go that far 2022 is only a couple months away, and they can build it like another anniversary event film similar to Skyfall. Who knows? But January will be interesting that's for certain. The sparks are about to fly...
    The movie can no longer release in cinemas in April in the UK, and I have it on good authority that EON are AGAINST the movie going to streaming without a cinematic option on the cards. At this point it seems inevitable that the movie is delayed again, the question is until when? The obvious choice seems to be November 2021, but then if they are going to go that far 2022 is only a couple months away, and they can build it like another anniversary event film similar to Skyfall. Who knows? But January will be interesting that's for certain. The sparks are about to fly...

Why can't they release it in the UK in April?
    jobo wrote: »

Same reason they couldn't release in November.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    If I was a betting man-- and I'm not-- but for once I fully and absolutely agree with @Mendes4Lyfe ... I believe one can look at the recent blowback that HBO Max and Warner Bros received; filmmakers make and want to see their products on the big screen as intended (both artistically and financially). EoN and their director are no different. I would guess if they can avoid streaming, they will do everything in their power to do so.

And as for the release being moved... very high possibility. The virus is just too volatile. Will people be rushing to cinemas in 14 weeks time? Anything is possible, but... I'm preparing for a new release date.

(I hope I'm wrong).
    As it seems to be very much a virus that thrives in winter then I would suggest that a summer release would be a better option. No point holding it til Nov 21 if we're going to have another year of covid as seems all to likely at the moment
    jobo wrote: »

Same reason they couldn't release in November.

What I wondered is whether you actually have an official source? Seeming so certain and stating it as a a fact, I mean? April is still four months away. It is still too early to give a definite answer about whether the time will be ripe for a release or not