Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't think its that black and white. With Lazenby they tried to redo a Connery style casting. Moore's first Bond movies were not very different in style and tone than Connery's last Bond film. Dalton was very different but let's not forget that he was a recast. I think overall and maybe with the exception of Craig, they have a generic portrait of the actor they are looking for, then they play his strengths or at least try to.

Yes I think (other than Lazenby) they pretty much take what they can get and choose the strongest candidate, and then shape the film to the actor to some degree. Craig was maybe lightly less this way as the film had been designed to be more realistic (and that's why they were moving on from Brosnan) but there's an argument that he was too old for the part in the script.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I remember thinking Purefoy looked like a promising candidate back then. Possibly more so than Clive Owen. Still, hard to say.

I still don't understand what people found Bondian in Clive Owen.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    I remember thinking Purefoy looked like a promising candidate back then. Possibly more so than Clive Owen. Still, hard to say.

The film Croupier played a big part. He wore a tuxedo and looked Bondian. He's a really flat actor though. We certainly dodged a bullet. I really hope EoN surprise us again.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2020 Posts: 14,861

I think this thread proves that if a guy has dark hair, is six foot and has worn a bow tie that's all some folks need- acting and screen presence don't come into it.
  • mtm wrote: »

I think this thread proves that if a guy has dark hair, is six foot and has worn a bow tie that's all some folks need- acting and screen presence don't come into it.

Very true. Good job they're not working in casting. Babs will honour her instincts again. We'll get someone interesting. Bond has been elevated by the Craig era.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    mtm wrote: »

Very true. Good job they're not working in casting. Babs will honour her instincts again. We'll get someone interesting. Bond has been elevated by the Craig era.

It hasn't been elevated at all. Two of the Craig films are among the worst in the series for a start. His era is no better or worse than any of the other actor's run in the role. He has good moments and bad moments just like the others.

Fair point about people you perceive to be poor actors or lacking screen presence, but this idea that Eon has to choose an actor that looks nothing like how James Bond has been portrayed in the past, unless it falls into 'fan casting', is bonkers.

How far do we take this as a strategy for casting? I always thought Michael Kitchen had great screen presence. Should he have been Bond?

And I am not saying that they should only stay with 6ft and black hair, but that if they do, it doesn't automatically mean it is poor 'fan casting'.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think it's hard to pick just one actor when out there is several good candidates.
  • @FatherValentine
    I just hope EoN don't pick someone on looks alone, to the detriment of the franchise. Yes, there are two weaker entries in Craig's era so far, but he's been absolutely solid. If Cavill had presence and could act better than an amateur dramatics ham, he'd be a great choice. I just pray we get someone who is the whole package. Imagine a tall, dark, handsome actor with the chops and presence of someone like Tom Hardy or Craig. I'm just concerned we'll get an A-Team level of actor like Brosnan.
    I get what you are saying, and your response here is utterly reasonable.

I just sometimes think you go a bit far and it looks like you are championing people purely BECAUSE they look different from Brosnan.

Not that you have to reign your opinions in on my account, but it sometimes comes across like your opinions are the exact opposite of what you say you don't want - i.e. that someone like Cavill might get cast because of his looks, and you want Jack Lowden to be cast because of his looks (only that his deviate from the default).

Anyway, Jack Lowden is a good enough actor, but he's not THAT good, he does look like the YouTuber ChrisMD.
  • @FatherValentine
    Not exactly. I'm not saying I particularly want Lowden; I have a strong feeling it's going to be him. I'm not entirely sure why.
    I'd love an actor that had the looks of Jon Hamm, the charisma of Moore, the presence of Connery, the chops of Craig, the physical prowess of Lazenby and the ruthlessness of Dalton.
    My frustration lies in the fact that there only seems to be subpar choices out there. My expectations are too high.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

Really, back then looking at Croupier (strange but interesting movie) I'll sleep when Im dead, the BMW films, and The Bourne Identity and to me this guy was born to play Bond. Great versatile actor, looked the part, could carry the drama, comedy, and action I can't see what was not Bondian about him.
  • @FatherValentine
    Not exactly. I'm not saying I particularly want Lowden; I have a strong feeling it's going to be him. I'm not entirely sure why.
    I'd love an actor that had the looks of Jon Hamm, the charisma of Moore, the presence of Connery, the chops of Craig, the physical prowess of Lazenby and the ruthlessness of Dalton.
    My frustration lies in the fact that there only seems to be subpar choices out there. My expectations are too high.

Aidan Turner says hi
  • @parkert5
    He's one of the subpar choices to me.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2020 Posts: 4,247
    I don't know, but I've never felt Craig was completely unconventional for Bond. Craig looks like John Richardson who auditioned alongside Lazenby for OHMSS. And Craig also looks very much like Patrick McGoohan who was offered the role, but rejected it because he felt the character was too promiscuous. And I think McGoohan was offered Dr. No & then LALD.
    parkert5 wrote: »

Really, back then looking at Croupier (strange but interesting movie) I'll sleep when Im dead, the BMW films, and The Bourne Identity and to me this guy was born to play Bond. Great versatile actor, looked the part, could carry the drama, comedy, and action I can't see what was not Bondian about him.

I have only seen The Bourne Identity and I think the BMW advert and I still don't see it. I mean he looks the part because he wore a tux? Anybody can wear a tux.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

I have only seen The Bourne Identity and I think the BMW advert and I still don't see it. I mean he looks the part because he wore a tux? Anybody can wear a tux.

Clive Owen was odd in that he often alternated between giving charismatic movie-star performances, and flat, dull performances. He was great in the TV series Chancer, very good in Croupier, and oozed charisma in the movie Gosford Park; on the other hand he gave a very low-energy performance in King Arthur and several other starring roles. I think he might have been great as Bond... but he might just as easily been lacklustre. I've never known what to make of him. Sometimes he had that spark, sometimes he didn't.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Clive Owen was odd in that he often alternated between giving charismatic movie-star performances, and flat, dull performances. He was great in the TV series Chancer, very good in Croupier, and oozed charisma in the movie Gosford Park; on the other hand he gave a very low-energy performance in King Arthur and several other starring roles. I think he might have been great as Bond... but he might just as easily been lacklustre. I've never known what to make of him. Sometimes he had that spark, sometimes he didn't.

Yeah. I had friends who were obsessed with the idea of Owens as the perfect Bond; to me, he could nail the depressed Bond at the beginning of a proper adaption of YOLT, but that's it for me.
    I never wanted Owen. His voice always seemed too 'TV' for me. For once I agree with @DrClatterhand in that he was a safe, unimaginative choice. The choice for people who weren't really Bond obsessives. Saying that, he probably could have done it give the chance, but there were better options at the time. As Craig proved.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I saw him in London a year or two back; suspiciously blue-tinged hair... :)
  • Owen was really good in The International. Shame it tanked.
    Owen was really good in The International. Shame it tanked.

I always wanted to see that film.... never did
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    Owen was really good in The International. Shame it tanked.

I always wanted to see that film.... never did

Make sure you do. It's a cracking thriller.
  • QsCatQsCat London

I watched an old Stephen Poliakoff film recently called Century (which cann only be found on Youtube) and another Poliakoff film which i've always loved called Close my eyes. It's on Amazon prime I think, and dvd, easy to find anyway. Well worth a watch if you want to see Owen in a good drama. He's not overly Bond-like but does have similar traits and drives a classic car. It's a brilliant film anyway. Check it out guys.
    Trailer https://youtu.be/JoT3VwlQdXE

Watching the other film recently though did get me thinking he could have been pretty good as Bond. Brosnan and Craig were just better candidates.

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think i have to see EON's screentest list first.
    QsCat wrote: »

I watched an old Stephen Poliakoff film recently called Century (which cann only be found on Youtube) and another Poliakoff film which i've always loved called Close my eyes. It's on Amazon prime I think, and dvd, easy to find anyway. Well worth a watch if you want to see Owen in a good drama. He's not overly Bond-like but does have similar traits and drives a classic car. It's a brilliant film anyway. Check it out guys.
    Trailer https://youtu.be/JoT3VwlQdXE

Watching the other film recently though did get me thinking he could have been pretty good as Bond. Brosnan and Craig were just better candidates.

I don't think he's a bad actor, just that he has far less screen presence and charisma as some of his fans give him credit for. For me he belongs in the box of Jude Law as Bond: not as bad as suggesting Hugh Grant or Robbie Williams, but still a bad idea. A lazy, lazy casting for all the wrong reasons.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    i think it's either Aiden turner or Henry cavill if isn't neither of these 2, it is a sham.

these 2 are far and away the best choices, cavill isn't the best actor but you dont need a method actor for a bond role! look at connery,moore and brosnan! and these 3 are the best!

and please no american bond and especially not a non white 100% anglo saxon bond

Welcome to the boards @BrosnanLegend . I would however suggest you steer clear of too many controversial comments in your initial posts.
    Get to know the people around here first, tell us a little about yourself. These are good starting points.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    NicNac wrote: »
    i think it's either Aiden turner or Henry cavill if isn't neither of these 2, it is a sham.

these 2 are far and away the best choices, cavill isn't the best actor but you dont need a method actor for a bond role! look at connery,moore and brosnan! and these 3 are the best!

and please no american bond and especially not a non white 100% anglo saxon bond

Welcome to the boards @BrosnanLegend . I would however suggest you steer clear of too many controversial comments in your initial posts.
    Get to know the people around here first, tell us a little about yourself. These are good starting points.

This is a thread discussing who could or should play Bond. As another member, I didn't mind his comments, he's just telling us what he wants, he's responding to the very subject of this thread. I find your comment way more 'controversial ' and unkind. As a new member he shouldn't be made to feel he can't express himself. Maybe he doesn't want to talk about himself, he wants to talk Bond. Should he keep his opinions to himself? He's probably done that for long enough as an observer and now he wants to jump in- if you don't mind that is.

He isn't on a date here.

This is a thread discussing who could or should play Bond. As another member, I didn't mind his comments, he's just telling us what he wants, he's responding to the very subject of this thread. I find your comment way more 'controversial ' and unkind. As a new member he shouldn't be made to feel he can't express himself. Maybe he doesn't want to talk about himself, he wants to talk Bond. Should he keep his opinions to himself? He's probably done that for long enough as an observer and now he wants to jump in- if you don't mind that is.

He isn't on a date here.
    Well, I do.
  • QsCatQsCat London

He isn't on a date here.
    Well, I do.

Yes and that's all that matters isn't it, Moderator. Don't want to displease the Moderator!

He isn't on a date here.
    Well, I do.

Yes and that's all that matters isn't it, Moderator. Don't want to displease the Moderator!

Ok I'll bite.

Firstly, when you sign up here you do so by agreeing to our terms and conditions. You are also encouraged to introduce yourselves and tell us some of your Bond preferences.

If you check the Ts & Cs you will inevitably see that one of the things we do is discourage comments that could be construed as racist.

Now, my post was polite and helpful. It was designed to stop this member getting into trouble early on.

Your comments on the other hand are unhelpful and unnecessary. So, check your Private Messages and if you have anything more to say to me, say it there.