Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm also not really well-versed in any of the expanded universe stuff or even the animated series, but The Mandalorian is still the most enjoyable Star Wars related production in a long time. I'd be happy enough if we got series instead of films going forward, based on this and the recent trilogy.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I’m glad the kid has a name, as neither “Baby Yoda” or “The Child” felt right.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

True, it's nice to be able to reference him with something other than the two options you outlined.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited November 2020 Posts: 2,341

True, it's nice to be able to reference him with something other than the two options you outlined.

It's a very unlikeable name by Favreau and co.

How about yaba or yobo ???

I dunno, I’m actually kind of glad they went away from that kind of naming convention. We have Yoda and Yaddle, something different is good. But I agree it’s still not my favourite.

I dunno, I’m actually kind of glad they went away from that kind of naming convention. We have Yoda and Yaddle, something different is good. But I agree it’s still not my favourite.

Yaddle was bad but
    Grogu
    is worse.

Yava ?

edited November 2020 Posts: 7,518
    I wouldn't have minded another Y name but it would have felt a little derivative and unoriginal I think. I don't love the name they gave him, but one thing I do like about it is how different it is than what came before.

Star Wars bends over backwards constantly to connect anything and everything to the Original Trilogy. I tend to think it's lame, and like when they do crazy new stuff. I like when they push towards originality and the new, rather than revert towards traditionalism, which is safe; I think it's why I experience a lot of contention on this James Bond forum. ;)
    There used to be the same thinking with Vulcans in Star Trek where males had a name that stared with S and females had a name with T’, with the apostrophe. That all changed with Saavik, and from then on that naming convention from TOS was no longer a thing.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,105
    I would have been happy with Baby Yoda remaining nameless... though to be fair characters often grow into the names there are given.

---

davidprowse.jpg
    R.I.P. David Prowse
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RIP David Prowse

I have just rewatched S01 of The Mandalorian and the first two eps of S02. This is such great stuff! On to ep. 3!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    RIP David Prowse

I have just rewatched S01 of The Mandalorian and the first two eps of S02. This is such great stuff! On to ep. 3!

You have a ride ahead of you.
    RIP David Prowse

You have a ride ahead of you.

As a fan of The Clone Wars, I can only say: AWESOME! :D Hell yeah, "this is the way"!

Also, I've got an awesome replica of the Child sitting next to me as I'm watching these eps. "Cute" doesn't even begin to describe things. :p
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,341
    Anyone watched Star Wars: Resistance ? any good ?
    4.9/10 IMDb
    92% Rotten Tomatoes
    edited December 2020 Posts: 23,449
    4.9/10 IMDb
    92% Rotten Tomatoes

I've heard "okay" things about it but I have yet to see the series.

Meanwhile, Ep 5 of S2 of The Mandalorian is nearly making me cry. Perfect. And I'm okay with the name, by the way.

EDIT: Ep 6 is another real winner. This series is shaping up to surpass many of the films in terms of quality. Once again, my Star Wars heart quickened the pulse while I was watching, something I haven't felt in a very long time...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    4.9/10 IMDb
    92% Rotten Tomatoes

It's... You really need to lower your expectations. It starts off with promise, quickly devolves into children's "message of the week" storytelling, and only shows signs of good writing here and there. Then comes season 2, where all of that is thrown away. Then it ends with about a dozen hanging threads.
    Ep 5 of S2 of The Mandalorian Director: Robert Rodriguez
    EobmxU4UcAA24YM?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    Ep 5 of S2 of The Mandalorian Director: Robert Rodriguez
    EobmxU4UcAA24YM?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Amazing episode.
    Not really down with turning Boba Fett into an "honorable hero with a heart of gold" when we already have one as the star. This is a guy who was cool with hanging out with gangsters that fed sex slaves to monsters. I'm not gonna cheer for that guy. The best thing this show could do is have Boba turn against Mando when offered a deal by the Empire, and does it in a cold and swift manner.
    Not really down with turning Boba Fett into an "honorable hero with a heart of gold" when we already have one as the star. This is a guy who was cool with hanging out with gangsters that fed sex slaves to monsters. I'm not gonna cheer for that guy. The best thing this show could do is have Boba turn against Mando when offered a deal by the Empire, and does it in a cold and swift manner.

The Clone Wars had already started Boba on the honorable path, so as much as it kinda clashes with his portrayal in Empire and Jedi, it's nothing left field. Presumably, there will be something down the line that meshes the two.
    That’s so stupid. It’s like turning Red Grant into a good guy.
    edited December 2020 Posts: 7,518

It isn’t at all. Fett is just a gun for hire. He’ll work with/for whomever puts up or whomever he has a deal with. Din is a criminal too, as outlined in S2E2.

Don’t know how you can watch that episode and surmise he has a “heart of gold”. He doesn’t care about the child. He cares about what he owes Din.

And even if you’re right, who’s to say spending some time in a Sarlacc wouldn’t change a person?
    I just think it would be redundant to make Boba Fett into a good guy when we have a bounty hunter becoming a good guy in Mando.

It isn’t at all. Fett is just a gun for hire. He’ll work with/for whomever puts up or whomever he has a deal with. Din is a criminal too, as outlined in S2E2.

Don’t know how you can watch that episode and surmise he has a “heart of gold”. He doesn’t care about the child. He cares about what he owes Din.

And even if you’re right, who’s to say spending some time in a Sarlacc wouldn’t change a person?

This is an awesome discussion. ;))

I don't see the Fett as having suddenly turned "good". He just wants his armour back and when suddenly attacked, his loyalty is with Din rather than with remnant imps. Makes sense to me.
  • One of the best episodes yet. Slick and well filmed action by Rodriguez. Can't wait for the last 2 episodes! (how are we at the end already!)
    It was a great script, had some cool moments and is greatly served by the return of Fett, however I can’t help but feel that the direction was lacking.
    The whole episode looked so cheap and the location really robbed the episode of some illusion of being on an alien world. It looked like a Power Rangers episode at times.
    I didn’t need to see Din try to break through that force field on the rock so many times.
    And the new Dark Troopers had a great opportunity to demonstrate how powerful they should be by fighting our heroes, but instead they just fly down, grab the child and fly off again. After seeing the Stormtroopers get defeated by Fett it would have been nice for the Dark Troopers to fight and defeat our heroes before grabbing Grogu. I didn’t feel any peril when he was nabbed. Maybe calling the episode The Tragedy robbed that moment of its emotional impact as we knew it would happen from the start.
    I just think it would be redundant to make Boba Fett into a good guy when we have a bounty hunter becoming a good guy in Mando.

That’s fair enough. I agree we don’t need to see it twice, and if the empire cut him a deal and Boba turned on Din, that would be fitting.

This is an awesome discussion. ;))

Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic :))
    edited December 2020 Posts: 2,341
    This Jedi Breathing Device looks familiar ..... :)]

databank_jedibreathingdevice_01_169_9c976d1b.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1560%2C878&width=960

rebreather.jpg ^:)^
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    4.9/10 IMDb
    92% Rotten Tomatoes

Meanwhile, Ep 5 of S2 of The Mandalorian is nearly making me cry. Perfect. And I'm okay with the name, by the way.

EDIT: Ep 6 is another real winner. This series is shaping up to surpass many of the films in terms of quality. Once again, my Star Wars heart quickened the pulse while I was watching, something I haven't felt in a very long time...

John Faverau is a genius. First Iron Man, now this. Give the man a shot at BOND!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    4.9/10 IMDb
    92% Rotten Tomatoes

John Faverau is a genius. First Iron Man, now this. Give the man a shot at BOND!

There was also Cowboys & Aliens. ;-)