NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

Will be interesting to see if MGM and EON change their tune now that WW84 is going to HBOMax same day as theatrical release.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 440
    km16 wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if MGM and EON change their tune now that WW84 is going to HBOMax same day as theatrical release.

Doubt it. HBO Max is owned outright by Warner Brothers and has had one of the lowest rates of growth out of any of the new streaming services, so this can only benefit it.

2020-11-12-streaming-subs-desktop.png

Since I doubt NTTD will be released directly to Epix, I imagine they'll either delay it for theatres or work out some kind of massive temporary licensing deal with one of the major streamers like Apple TV+ or Netflix.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    km16 wrote: »

They’ll probably wait to see how it works out for WB first before making a deal with a streaming service.
    Update about WW84's release strategy.

• Even if NTTD hits theatres in April (and it's a huge IF), there is simply no way it will make the kind of money EON / MGM would call satisfactory. Anyone releasing movies in the next 12 months (yes, even November 2021) will struggle to see the kind of audience numbers blockbusters used to enjoy. Even if mass-vaccination programmes are successful by June 2021, normality will still be some ways off. Think 2022 and I think we'll be about there, and Bond has been sat on the shelf way too long as it is, so streaming does seem to be the only sensible way out of this pandemic nightmare.
    If they do go ahead with April 2021, the box-office will be low - very low.
    So they need to make a deal and find a VOD streaming partner.
    They must know this. And fans have waited long enough.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    This is just the beginning. Next in line will be Disney announcing, likely December 10, Black Widow goin on D+...

What does this mean for the rest of the world where HBO Max is not available? Will it be available for a premium rental price on the likes of Itunes at Christmas?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    matt_u wrote: »
    This is just the beginning. Next in line will be Disney announcing, likely December 10, Black Widow goin on D+...

Wonderwoman's getting the D+, Black Widow is getting the D+... who knows what's in store for Bond at this point.
    Getting vaccines to a significant portion of the population in the major movie-going markets will take some time...April might be sooner than it otherwise might seem.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Since62 wrote: »
    Getting vaccines to a significant portion of the population in the major movie-going markets will take some time...April might be sooner than it otherwise might seem.

True.

Every major studio has experimented with multiple different ways of releasing movies that aren't just full theatrical runs this year only to learn time and again that it is the only way to actually make money.

Tenet will have lost its studio at least $100+ million and it will still be the most profitable western blockbuster of the entire pandemic.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Genuinely befuddled as to why they haven't released the thing yet. It's not going to make them money no matter how long they wait, it could end up costing more. I say it's better to cut the lose and move forward with casting the next Bond, or handing over to someone else.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Genuinely befuddled as to why they haven't released the thing yet. It's not going to make them money no matter how long they wait, it could end up costing more. I say it's better to cut the lose and move forward with casting the next Bond, or handing over to someone else.

No need to be impatient.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

What does this mean for the rest of the world where HBO Max is not available? Will it be available for a premium rental price on the likes of Itunes at Christmas?

The rest of the world only gets a traditionel theatrical release.
    Where theatres are closed the movie will not open UNTIL theatre open at a later date.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

The rest of the world only gets a traditionel theatrical release.
    Where theatres are closed the movie will not open UNTIL theatre open at a later date.

That sucks because i cant see Cinemas here opening up again for one film.Also,they surely realise that the film will be pirated to hell if its available online in the states.I would prefer to see the film in the cinema but given the choice i would gladly pay a premium price to watch it at home on christmas day.

• Croods 2 just died at the box office.

This basically confirms that cinemas aren't going to survive 2020. Soon 2021 films will move to streaming and the game is up.

Cinemas won't come back from this pandemic. It's different from concerts or theatres. The film made already. Plus we are used to consuming very well made and polished new films on streaming. Cinemas will only exist for limited runs for films before they go on streaming. Or speciality venues like Imax. Otherwise, they are gone.

I think that we will hear about Bond debuting on streaming in February. It's now inevitable. I hope NTTD is an exclusive streaming release. I don't want to see a crappy box office number on Wikipedia.

Croods 2 just died at the box office.

This basically confirms that cinemas aren't going to survive 2020. Soon 2021 films will move to streaming and the game is up.

Cinemas won't come back from this pandemic. It's different from concerts or theatres. The film made already. Plus we are used to consuming very well made and polished new films on streaming. Cinemas will only exist for limited runs for films before they go on streaming. Or speciality venues like Imax. Otherwise, they are gone.

I think that we will hear about Bond debuting on streaming in February. It's now inevitable. I hope NTTD is an exclusive streaming release. I don't want to see a crappy box office number on Wikipedia.

I disagree.Cinemas will bounce back once the pandemic is over.People will have missed it.People wont stop going to restauraunts just because they can eat at home for example.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Croods 2 just died at the box office.

I disagree.Cinemas will bounce back once the pandemic is over.People will have missed it.People wont stop going to restauraunts just because they can eat at home for example.

Good point. It will bounce back, question is when?

• Croods 2 just died at the box office.

Cinemas most definitely will come back from this pandemic. Bond will not stream in February, it is certainly not inevitable.
  • I don’t care much about box office either. All Bond films have made considerable profit however the figures are depicted. That the series keeps earning and endures is all that matters at the end of the day.

The big takeaway in that article seems to be that the lower the budget the higher the profit percentage. As the article notes, due to its $1 million budget, Dr. No was both the lowest grossing and most profitable. Of course you couldn’t possibly repeat that kind of ratio today unless you completely stripped the production down to indie proportions. I don’t see that ever happening for as long as Bond films are being made for the big screen.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Dutch cinema's are closed again since Thuesday (15 December) and wil not open then earlier 19 January 2021, but with in mind it can remain closed for longer time.
    Saw Wonder Woman 1984 last night in the cinema and really enjoyed it.The first trailer for NTTD came on before and instead of saying that it was coming out in April next year,it simply said '' Coming soon ''.Hmm..
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    We might get some idea in January.
  • I'll be quite curious to see if Wonder Woman can make any money. Anyone know how the combination of box office and streaming revenue will be reported?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    My guess would be a super bowl tv spot in February to restart marketing
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    octofinger wrote: »
    I'll be quite curious to see if Wonder Woman can make any money. Anyone know how the combination of box office and streaming revenue will be reported?

WW is already reporting box office figures, not sure how streaming may or may not work. It just depends how they wish to report it, if at all.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I find it unlikely since the film will be delayed again IMO... the news of the spread of that so called “British” mutations of the virus 70% more contagious it’s not goin to help.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Can we even be certain Bond 25 will arrive in 2021?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hopefully they're aiming to work with a hybrid release like so many others now.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Can we even be certain Bond 25 will arrive in 2021?

I would guess no.