edited November 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Swatch has launched some 007 competition, you win whatever for two people

Here's the mission:

https://discover.swatch.com/en_us/collections/007/
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    edited November 2020 Posts: 469
    mtm wrote: »
    Looks like the Harper's Bazaar thing is spreading:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2020-11-04/lashana-lynch-bond-007-no-time-to-die-news/
    No Time to Die’s Lashana Lynch confirms her character will replace James Bond as 007

Slightly inflammatory headline, but technically correct I guess! :) They also don't pull a quote where she actually does confirm it though.

Calling it but it's gonna be this all over again.

pyng97ky8wixxtsuhxzn.png
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I have no idea what that is! :)
    edited November 2020 Posts: 469

Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 2. He basically took the name of the old hero from the first game (Snake) and is also the playable character for most of the game. Just like Nomi, he is new, cocky and wanting to prove himself (especially after bumping into Snake during his mission - again, much like what we have seen so far for NTTD) but sticks closely to his training due to having little experience in the field at the time (another thing Nomi seems to have), and when MGS2 was released, people loathed him for replacing Snake for most of the game and relegating him as an 'assistant' side character. In fact, for a very long time, he was one of the most hated characters of the series.

There are a lot of similarities between Nomi and Raiden, and it's an example I'm using to try and decipher more about our replacement 007. I've been calling this for ages, so expect me to be a bit more smug than usual over the next week :)) :)) :))

So unless there is a late twist, when we say farewell to DC, we won't be saying farewell to 007?
    Contraband wrote: »

Here's the mission:

The interactive website reminds me of the old 007 website - nice throwback
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,861

Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 2. He basically took the name of the old hero from the first game (Snake) and is also the playable character for most of the game. Just like Nomi, he is new, cocky and wanting to prove himself (especially after bumping into Snake during his mission - again, much like what we have seen so far for NTTD) but sticks closely to his training due to having little experience in the field at the time (another thing Nomi seems to have), and when MGS2 was released, people loathed him for replacing Snake for most of the game and relegating him as an 'assistant' side character. In fact, for a very long time, he was one of the most hated characters of the series.

There are a lot of similarities between Nomi and Raiden, and it's an example I'm using to try and decipher more about our replacement 007. I've been calling this for ages, so expect me to be a bit more smug than usual over the next week :)) :)) :))

I think everyone guessed she was 007 from the before they started filming didn't they? Just because she's 007 doesn't mean she's the lead of the film, so the analogy doesn't really work.

Here's the mission:

The interactive website reminds me of the old 007 website - nice throwback

Great to get those diagrams of the Q glider in better quality; I wonder if the drone is from the film or just something to fill the page up?

Regarding the game- what do you actually do? I don't understand what you're supposed to click.

I think everyone guessed she was 007 from the before they started filming didn't they? Just because she's 007 doesn't mean she's the lead of the film, so the analogy doesn't really work.

Not just the name switch, it's everything else I've listed. Bait and switch is common enough but there are the other factors to.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What have you listed?
    What have you listed?

its just the stuff in the post. nothing really serious, just silly fun tbh being both a huge fan of both franchises.

Now all that remains is to see if this is coincidence or really enemy action :))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh right. Well if she's a new 00 who Bond hasn't met before then it's kind of logical that she'd have less field experience than him, isn't it? And I think Lynch has said she's very by the book rather than cocky per se.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited November 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Book release 2021

Update: full book cover posted - volume 1, 1962 - 1985

Looks like the Harper's Bazaar thing is spreading:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2020-11-04/lashana-lynch-bond-007-no-time-to-die-news/
    No Time to Die’s Lashana Lynch confirms her character will replace James Bond as 007

Slightly inflammatory headline, but technically correct I guess! :) They also don't pull a quote where she actually does confirm it though.

In an hour or so I will have the magazine, Harpers Bazaar UK dec 2020 issue
    So much for that secret...................... and the startling reaction of the audience when M asks for 007.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    delfloria wrote: »
    So much for that secret...................... and the startling reaction of the audience when M asks for 007.

Much like the Eve as MP reveal towards the end of SF.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,861
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I can't remember if I knew that one going in- I don't think I did. I don't remember being massively surprised by it, but I guess we're supposed to figure it out as we're watching it: the scene they have in the new MI6 when they're walking together and discussing whether to be a field agent or not is a massive pointer as it starts to play out like standard Bond/Penny banter.

Whereas with Nomi I'm not sure why they've tried to keep a lid on it: saying she's a 00 but not giving us her number just makes it incredibly obvious (not to mention the foreign language trailers have simply stated it out loud! :) ). I guess it's just something they didn't want hijacking their promo campaign, maybe the plan is to make a second marketing push on it once the film is released and mention it more.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I can't remember if I knew that one going in- I don't think I did. I don't remember being massively surprised by it, but I guess we're supposed to figure it out as we're watching it: the scene they have in the new MI6 when they're walking together and discussing whether to be a field agent or not is a massive pointer as it starts to play out like standard Bond/Penny banter.

Whereas with Nomi I'm not sure why they've tried to keep a lid on it: saying she's a 00 but not giving us her number just makes it incredibly obvious (not to mention the foreign language trailers have simply stated it out loud! :) ). I guess it's just something they didn't want hijacking their promo campaign, maybe the plan is to make a second marketing push on it once the film is released and mention it more.

I remember joining the forums back in 2011 by posting an article about a lot of the big players being cast in SF, with the rumor even then being that she was being cast as MP. It's not a huge deal but would've certainly made those final moments a little sweeter had they kept it a secret.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,518

Exactly the same for me re: Moneypenny in SF. Genuinely can't remember if I knew it going in (probably didn't) but not being that surprised by it either way.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited November 2020 Posts: 554
    I was completely blindsided by the reveal, but seeing as I was 12 when SF came out (and it was the first Bond film I saw in cinemas) I'm probably an exception to the rule. It was a great moment for me though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Exactly the same for me re: Moneypenny in SF. Genuinely can't remember if I knew it going in (probably didn't) but not being that surprised by it either way.

Yeah I can't think. I guess there's a good chance I had read speculation about it, but in a film where a new Q has been introduced and suddenly Bond is flirting with a pretty lady in MI6 HQ, you are being prepared for the reveal. Especially when we have those 'maybe Mallory isn't such a bad chap after all' moments towards the end of the film- I think you're being prepared for the pieces all lining up before they slot into place.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 7,518
    "Don't cock it up" was the biggest M hint for me. Didn't expect Judi to die though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    "Don't cock it up" was the biggest M hint for me. Didn't expect Judi to die though.

I think someone spoilt that for me on the Tube one night, maybe the night it came out. Some middle aged lady saying "I couldn't believe they killed her!". She didn't say Judi's name but I'd had a thought she might die and was frankly pretty livid someone would talk about it in public.
    Sounds like she really cocked it up
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    This does make me more than a little nervous about the Dr No thing.
    This character is Eve, she's not Moneypenny. Oh wait!
    He's Oberhouser, not Blofeld. Oh I see!
    Nomi is a 00, not 007. Yeah right!
    Safin is not Dr No...
    Harpers Bazaar mag dec 2020 with Lashana interview. I have edited out some 200 pages so it's just Lashanas article left and pictures of her

PDF: https://docdro.id/YBSb61n
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Safin is not Dr No...

Agreed, except I’d be so into Safin being Dr. No. Controversial opinion?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Book release 2021

Fantastic!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Safin is not Dr No...

Has anyone denied it?
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Not exactly no, but it's all the poker face maybe/ maybe not stuff that always makes me suspicious as well.
    Having said that I suppose if they don't want to confirm he's Dr No they either do that or just lie about it.
    Although if they did confirm it we'd all have forgotten by the time NTTD cones out anyway!
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 12,837

I can’t remember if I knew either actually, but I remember there being a fuss on here about it because Harris went on some chatshow and the hosts spoilt it.

And yeah, I think pick one or the other. Either keep it a secret for the shock factor, or don’t reveal she’s a 00 in the trailers. It’s been a pretty obvious twist for a while.

Lynch looks great though. Not usually keen on the “Bond’s equal” Bond girls, because they’re usually just generic action heroes who inevitably still turn into damsels in distress. But this time it actually seems like we’re getting one who’s almost as suave and cool as Bond. I love how they’ve given her all the trappings (suits, Aston), she’s not just a bird in a catsuit with a gun like past “equals” have been. I think it’ll be a really fun dynamic.