SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

Looking over some of the contemporary reviews of LALD and TMWTGG, it's clear that many critics had trouble forgetting Connery and accepting the new guy. Moore was, in Dave Kehr's words, "a pastry chef's idea of James Bond." It was TSWLM that made critics and audiences finally accept Moore as Bond, perhaps because his larger-than-life portrayal of Bond was showcased in a larger-than-life movie, one which celebrated Bond's "greatest hits" rather than aping the movie trend of the moment (blaxploitation, Kung Fu, etc.). TSWLM reminded everyone of what Bond was best at, and Moore's tongue-in-cheek style was well suited to such a gigantic and flamboyant film.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,564
    I have never even heard of Dave Kehr. I gather he's a pastry chef's idea of Siskel & Ebert... Really, whoever is trying to take over the role after Connery's iconic spin behind the wheel of the Aston Martin has some gigantic tire tracks to fill. Dalton wasn't accepted all that easily, nor was Brosnan. There are some few who STILL haven't accepted Craig. Roger was never my favorite post-Connery Bond...but even when he went head-to-head against Sean (Octopussy vs. NSNA) Roger did alright for himself. But that's getting ahead of the game...
    I have never even heard of Dave Kehr. I gather he's a pastry chef's idea of Siskel & Ebert... Really, whoever is trying to take over the role after Connery's iconic spin behind the wheel of the Aston Martin has some gigantic tire tracks to fill. Dalton wasn't accepted all that easily, nor was Brosnan. There are some few who STILL haven't accepted Craig. Roger was never my favorite post-Connery Bond...but even when he went head-to-head again Sean (Octopussy vs. NSNA) Roger did alright for himself. But that's getting ahead of the game...

I've heard of Kehr and you are absolutely right. He was a semi-known critic, but far from one who gained a star reputation such as Siskel and Ebert, Pauline Kael or countless others. I think he was the other critic at the Chicago Tribune along with Siskel.

I have to give him points on that line. I may have to steal it. But there are a lot of pastry chefs who have become far more famous than Kehr. There are more television pastry shows on food channels than there are film review shows these days.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 2,896
    Kehr was never a household name but was well-respected and known among cinephiles. A genuinely famous critic, Pauline Kael, also disliked LALD and TMWTGG and referred to its star as "that iceberg Roger Moore." But when TSWLM came around she raved about it--and was also slightly nicer about Roger:

"A glittery sci-fi adventure fantasy that balances the indestructible James Bond with an indestructible cartoon adversary, Jaws (Richard Kiel), who is a great evil windup toy. This is the best of the Bonds starring the self-effacing Roger Moore--there's a robust perversity in the way the film gets you rooting for the bionic monster Jaws when he tears a truck apart in a childish temper. He's 7 feet 2 and has razor-sharp steel teeth; Moore gets the chance to look scared--an emotion that suits him and makes him more likable. The film is a little long, but as the heroine--the Russian-spy counterpart of Bond--Barbara Bach is both luscious and self-parodying; there are magnificent views of Egypt; and the arch-villain Stromberg (Curt Jurgens) has a vast underwater domain and a supertanker that swallows submarines--the sets recall Fritz Lang's Metropolis. The designer, Ken Adam, the director, Lewis Gilbert, and the cinematographer, Claude Renoir, have taken a tawdry, depleted form and made something flawed but funny and elegant out of it; they use their sets and locations choreographically, turning mayhem into a comic dance. The last 45 minutes is a spectacular piece of sustained craftsmanship: you see the faces of imperilled men and you feel the suspense, but you're also drinking in the design of the machinery, the patterned movements, and the lavender tones, the blues and the browns. The lavishness isn't wasted--it's entertaining. For Adam, Gilbert, and Renoir the film must have been a celebration of delight in mechanical gadgetry and in moviemaking itself; the sumptuous visual style functions satirically."
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It certainly shows that critics were far better writers in the olden days than they are now.
    It certainly shows that critics were far better writers in the olden days than they are now.

That's because anybody and everybody is a critic now thanks to the Internet and social media. But there will always be good writers out there. It's just the golden age is gone.

At the same time, I can see Joe Average reading the above Kehr review and being turned off by the writing style and terms such as "robust perversity."
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 1,639
    When i stayed in Bern hostel ten yrs ago i was watching OHMSS with a french guy , at first he seemed bit skeptic of Laz but i got the impression he thought he did okay after the movie ended ;)
    I first saw OHMSS on tv in '95 , already then i knew it was something special and was blown away by Riggs beauty (Avengers , afaik , has never aired in Norway so i didnt know who she was nor Laz....Telly i knew from Kellys Heroes but not much else , Kojak was before my time)

Back then (early to mid 90s) they only showed Bond on cable or ppv channels , it was a treat then to see them.....now they air all the time on TV (they do not skip OHMSS , its always shown.....theyve even showed NSNA)
  • BT3366 wrote: »

That's because anybody and everybody is a critic now thanks to the Internet and social media. But there will always be good writers out there. It's just the golden age is gone.

At the same time, I can see Joe Average reading the above Kehr review and being turned off by the writing style and terms such as "robust perversity."

The review quoted above at length is Pauline Kael's work, not Dave Kehr's. Actually, I think the term "robust perversity" is not inappropriate for some of what can be found in the average Bond film. "Not that there's anything WRONG with that...."
    Might sound weird but i can totally understand 60s Bondmania and Bruce Lee mania or how it was seeing Elvis in concert , despite not having been alive then.....maybe its a sixth sense or having read more than most people about it , i dunno.......
  • Good for you! Take in a Beatles concert sometime and let me know what you thought... ;)
  • Well, we knew this day would have to come eventually. Sir Sean Connery has passed away... and the world is a far better place for him having been here. To the Originals, I suspect there will never be another Bond that is his equal. Others have tried, and some have done remarkably well... but Sir Sean was the original, the definitive James Bond 007. Rest in Peace, Mr. Connery. Your memory will live on as long as martinis are being ordered shaken, not stirred...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    As a nod to Sir Sean, who has sadly passed away (ripe old age of 90) - please post your very favorite Bond film moments that Sean gave us.

I know we all have more than one Bond film of Sean as Bond that we enjoy. I'd like to request please don't only post a list - include your description of why that scene is a favorite of yours, include a clip, etc.

Let's fill these pages a bit with the best of our own personal connection to Sean Connery. After all, he started the films on the finest note, sure footing, and iconic in every way. RIP, dear Sean. We do love you, our Scottish lad who became a giant in cinema and impacted culture indelibly. xx

So here we go ~ Favorite (or Favourite) SEAN CONNERY as Bond moments ~

I'll be back in a bit to post mine. Come hang on on this fine golden thread again for the next several days. It should be lots of fun, with great memories and moments shared.
    B-)
    Some lovely clips from many of Sean's films (Bond and others) here for you to enjoy ~ just click into it ...
    This thread's cool, very knowledgeable, and sorely missed founder, SirHenry (RIP) had plenty to say about Sean Connery's Bond films. Going back to read some of his words is appropriate now with Sean's passing, as the thread continues to be about our own personal journeys with Bond, geared towards older fans (but welcoming respectful comments from all members here). And Connery was the bedrock of the film franchise.

Therefore, I'll be posting SirHenry's reviews of Sean's Bond films over the next several days. His avatar was Sean in YOLT. I thoroughly enjoyed SirHenry's writing, so you can expect quotes from him sprinkled throughout this thread over the coming week or so. He was also a musician and had interesting takes on the music in Bond films. Please do chime in with your own thoughts and remembrances of Sean - your favorite Sean as Bond moments & movies.
    Cheers! B-)

Here is SirHenry on Sean Connery and some of his thoughts regarding his personal favorite Bond film, Goldfinger ~

Nobody does it better than Sir Sean. As Bond or in any other movie for that
    matter. He's the total package and the Bond all who followed will forever be
    compared to. This is why Dalton and Craig are as great as they are in the role- no
    one is ever too good, too young, or too old to learn from the master.

Goldfinger (#1)
    My favorite will always be the "icon", the mighty Goldfinger. From everything my Dad
    and Pop-Pop said, and from the UDVDs it's obviously the movie that started
    "Bondmania" and made the series immortal. It just ticks all the boxes that Bond fans
    look for to this day and influenced the series in a major way.

I did not get to see the film until 1970, when it was in another theatrical run and well
    before it debuted on free TV. I had by then seen all the others including OHMSS in
    the theater, and was very frustrated because I knew it was Bond's most famous film
    and heard everyone who had seen it rave about it. When I heard the title theme
    going into "Bond In Miami", I was blown away by the tangible feeling of being drawn
    into Bond's world in a big way, and by all the iconic images and characters to follow.

And so while I thoroughly respect that others may prefer other Connery or Bond
    films of another actor, I cannot fathom someone not at the very least having respect
    for all the film has meant to the series in terms of financial success and popularity,
    and appreciating it. If there was ever a film that embodies the phrase "all things
    Bond";, this is the one that best fits the term and my personal favorite that I can
    watch over and over again and never tire of.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    How fitting I should learn about Connery's passing from the revival of this beautiful thread. Next to a rememberance article, CNN has posted a picture series ass well that I think is quite fitting:
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/31/entertainment/gallery/sean-connery/index.html

I've never made it a secret that my favorite film is Thunderball, and as a reminder of Connery's acting abilities, I'd like to dish up his conversation with Domino on the beach

I find this clip amazing. How these two actors go through such a range of emotions, within a very, very short time is almost beyond belief. I'm not sure many actors could pull it off like they do. It's in the little things, like putting the glasses on, the change of tone. It's just amazing work.

A film I haven't seen mentioned yet, but as a Dutchman I think I should, is A Bridge Too Far.

Remembering.

edited November 2020 Posts: 12,459
    Those are excellent contributions here, @CommanderRoss - thank you.
    I'll enjoy looking at everybody's clips, starting with yours today. I have never seen A Bridge Too Far. I need to rectify that soon.

Thunderball - rather quintessential Bond, isn't it? And yes, that scene at the beginning of your clip is brilliantly done and I thought Claudine was touching when she first realized her brother had died. Her gesture to wipe away her tears quite moving. Sean's brusqueness, his gestures, all of his acting here is perfect for me. Then that underwater battle - I think people forget how stunning that was on the big screen when released, how exciting. Your clip ends just short of where I wanted it to end, though! Showing that Domino had indeed speared Largo and killed him. So here let me rectify the ending ;) ...
    I know picking favorite scenes isn't easy, but I will try to find a few very favorites to post soon. I also loved him in The Man Who Would Be King. He and Michael Caine were so perfect together.
    Okay, after some thought, here is one sequence I want to share.
    There are moments for me that show Bond in his essential self, full capacity, and some scenes build to be quite unforgettable. The opening to Goldfinger is all of that for me.
    Overall, it is not my favorite film (sorry, SirHenry!) ;) ... but it has plenty of genuinely iconic moments. And here's what it does for me ...

Goldinger's busy, intriguing opening sequence gives us: Bond in the gun barrel (back in the day when men seemed to always wear hats), and then immediately we see Bond at work doing what he does best - stealth, ingenuity, thinking on his feet, suave, charming, ruthless, brutal, sardonic, and incredibly focused on his mission throughout.So much going on here, you could make a checklist of true "Bondian" moments that come up.

Sit back and enjoy this one more time today, and raise a glass to Sir Sean, who made this role his own, and our own, and Fleming's Bond come to life with such a stamp of authenticity about it that the character, and film series, has continued to this day - all the while acknowledging its incredible beginnings with Connery in the role. He really had it all going for him, Sean did.

When I first saw this film, and truly every time since, and that door slams and the opening notes of "Goldfinger" title song blasts out like a golden fire, then simmers to a seductive melody that entices like almost no other ... it's just the best. Connery + Barry + Bassey ~
    Birdleson wrote: »
    He is so perfect in the first four films that it seems fruitless to pick a favorite scene(s). I also absolutely enjoyed his performance in John Huston's THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (1975).

How could I not think of this film instantly! It's one of my favorite films of all time! AFAK it's the only time Caine and Connery, who are real-life friends, starred together in lead roles. Their friendship is so obvious, and I know of no other film where a character is portrayed to loose his grip on reality and start believing his own con story as Connery in this film. Talk about acting!

• edited November 2020 Posts: 3,564
    Here's my favorite Connery moment from Dr. No: Bond dispatches Professor Dent. This is where I realized: this character isn't your standard good guy!

Tomorrow I'll post my favorite scene from FRWL. Tuesday, in honor of Election Day here in the USA, I'll go for THREE favorites from Goldfinger! And so forth...
    Thanks, @CommanderRoss and @BeatlesSansEarmuffs. Yes TMWWBK is an interesting, enjoyable movie. I need to watch them one again soon; it has been too long. And FRWL is definitely one of my favorite Bond films, even with some things culturally dated. Just so well done. You're right, Beatles, there is a moment for each Bond fan, I think, when we realize 'Hey, this is not the usual kind of spy/good guy".

I appreciate people adding clips here. Let's keep it going. Cheers!
    Okay, after some thought, here is one sequence I want to share.
    There are moments for me that show Bond in his essential self, full capacity, and some scenes build to be quite unforgettable. The opening to Goldfinger is all of that for me.
    Overall, it is not my favorite film (sorry, SirHenry!) ;) ... but it has plenty of genuinely iconic moments. And here's what it does for me ...

Goldinger's busy, intriguing opening sequence gives us: Bond in the gun barrel (back in the day when men seemed to always wear hats), and then immediately we see Bond at work doing what he does best - stealth, ingenuity, thinking on his feet, suave, charming, ruthless, brutal, sardonic, and incredibly focused on his mission throughout.So much going on here, you could make a checklist of true "Bondian" moments that come up.

Sit back and enjoy this one more time today, and raise a glass to Sir Sean, who made this role his own, and our own, and Fleming's Bond come to life with such a stamp of authenticity about it that the character, and film series, has continued to this day - all the while acknowledging its incredible beginnings with Connery in the role. He really had it all going for him, Sean did.

When I first saw this film, and truly every time since, and that door slams and the opening notes of "Goldfinger" title song blasts out like a golden fire, then simmers to a seductive melody that entices like almost no other ... it's just the best. Connery + Barry + Bassey ~

The opening teaser of Goldfinger, during it's theatrical premiere at the Chinese Theater, was the first thing I ever experienced of Bond. That changed my life.
    Thanks and so good to hear from you, @delfloria.
    Indeed, Goldfinger thrilled the world, sending out waves of excitement that kept growing. It kicked Bond mania into high gear globally. This film changed everything, putting Bond on top and firmly into our culture. With this one, it also made the title song a very strong feature for Bond films. This film was definitely influential and iconic.
    I bet that premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theater was amazing, @delfloria!
    I'd have loved to have been at a Bond film premiere in the 60s or 70s (or any time, honestly). If any members here have been to a premiere, especially one of Connery's Bond films, please do tell us about your experience. We'd love to hear about that.

I'll be posting another scene shortly. Do join us and let us know about your favorite Sean Connery as Bond moments. B-)
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 1,707
    I'd have loved to have been at a Bond film premiere in the 60s or 70s (or any time, honestly). If any members here have been to a premiere, especially one of Connery's Bond films, please do tell us about your experience. We'd love to hear about that.

I'll be posting another scene shortly. Do join us and let us know about your favorite Sean Connery as Bond moments. B-)

Hi 4EverBonded,

Good to hear from you as well. Just clarify, it was just the regular opening, or premiere, of Goldfinger, not the cast and crew world premiere. On the other hand I did attend the official world premiere of "Live and Let Die" at the Chinese and got Roger to sign my copy of the script jut as he was entering the lobby. I also attended the official world premiere of "The World is Not Enough" in Westwood here in LA and attended the cast and crew party at the Santa Monica airport after the screening. They set up a tent littered with hi top cocktail tables and had projected lights on the walls. The energy was high and everyone was enjoying themselves immensely. I got to talk with Pierce and congratulate him of course. Ironically enough a few years ago my wife and I had dinner at Jane Seymour's and one of the other dinner guests was Pierce. Things do come full circle sometimes.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    delfloria wrote: »
    I got to talk with Pierce and congratulate him of course. Ironically enough a few years ago my wife and I had dinner at Jane Seymour's and one of the other dinner guests was Pierce.
    I'm not jealous. No. Not a bit of it.
    ...ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 3,564
    My favorite element of From Russia With Love is that iconic attache case. Here's the case being introduced by Desmond Llewelyn in his first appearance as Major Boothroyd (soon to become known, simply, as Q):

Then we have Bond and Kerim Bey using the sniper rifle from that case:

And finally, Bond using the contents of that case to good effect in his fight with Red Grant aboard the Orient Express:

Now THAT'S storytelling! Connery is at his best when working with other actors of a similar calibre... and this one of my favorite Bond films!
    BTW this is over on Youtube and I thought it was great. BBC footage I've never seen before.

Hi 4EverBonded,

Good to hear from you as well. Just clarify, it was just the regular opening, or premiere, of Goldfinger, not the cast and crew world premiere. On the other hand I did attend the official world premiere of "Live and Let Die" at the Chinese and got Roger to sign my copy of the script jut as he was entering the lobby. I also attended the official world premiere of "The World is Not Enough" in Westwood here in LA and attended the cast and crew party at the Santa Monica airport after the screening. They set up a tent littered with hi top cocktail tables and had projected lights on the walls. The energy was high and everyone was enjoying themselves immensely. I got to talk with Pierce and congratulate him of course. Ironically enough a few years ago my wife and I had dinner at Jane Seymour's and one of the other dinner guests was Pierce. Things do come full circle sometimes.

I'd love to read more about those experiences! if not now, during the Connery rememberance, then perhaps later in this thread?
    BTW this is over on Youtube and I thought it was great. BBC footage I've never seen before.

Great find, thanks for sharing. I love things like this I've never seen before and just that brief tease was what I long for. I know what I'll be doing for part of my day off today.
  • And now for my favorite Connery moments from Goldfinger... well, there's this for obvious reasons...

And then, the Golden Girl in her full glory...

Bond getting briefed about the Aston Martin is a favorite as well...

The laser scene is one of the best in franchise history:

Finally, Bond vs. Oddjob in the gold vault:

Goldfinger is so full of iconic moments that's it's easy to see why it's considered the "Gold Standard" of Bond films!