Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    El Dorado (1966)
    EB19670804REVIEWS708040301AR.jpg

Non a big fan of Westerns (a love of Westerns is one of the few things I failed to inherit from my dad, who was a BIG fan of the likes of John Wayne, Roy Rogers and Randolph Scott). Other than having Bob Mitchum, and I say this as someone who is ignorant of the classic Westerns, I quite like the film itself. It's great to see a young Christopher George in villainous mode.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    For film history and connections it's worth checking out Rio Bravo (1959) and Rio Lobo (1970).
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    For film history and connections it's worth checking out Rio Bravo (1959) and Rio Lobo (1970).

And not forgetting El Dorado.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2020 Posts: 13,894
    I have The Wild Bunch, bought it a few years ago, but never got around to watching it. I will have to make a point of finally sitting down to watch it.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    I have The Wild Bunch, bought it a few years ago, but never got around to watching it. I will have to make a point of finally sitting down to watch it.

I personally think it's overrated. I prefer the spaghetti westerns.
    Any other opinions on it ?
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 2,895
    The Wild Bunch is a great film, and considerably more mature and human than most spaghetti Westerns.

As @RichardTheBruce says, anyone who enjoyed El Dorado should view its progenitor, Rio Bravo. They should also check out High Noon (1952), which outraged Howard Hawks so much it inspired him to make Rio Bravo.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Invisible Man (2020)

Really impressed with this, but then expected no less from the director of the excellent Upgrade

Using clever camerawork and suggestion, this is a really effective exploration of an unseen threat. Gripping from the opening scene this builds the suspense and intrigue and provides some startling jump scare moments.

The opening scenes reminded me of the Julia Roberts thriller Sleeping With The Enemy in the situation the leading lady finds herself in. But make no mistake, this is truly original and the best 'invisible' film since James Whale's classic.

Very recommended 👍
    All suggestions have been noted. High Noon, I have heard a lot about, especially its ending.
    Revelator wrote: »
    The Wild Bunch is a great film, and considerably more mature and human than most spaghetti Westerns.

As @RichardTheBruce says, anyone who enjoyed El Dorado should view its progenitor, Rio Bravo. They should also check out High Noon (1952), which outraged Howard Hawks so much it inspired him to make Rio Bravo.

Agree about the The Wild Bunch, fabulous western. I thought it was John Wayne who was out raged by High Noon??
    Anyway, have to say am a fan of Westerns, some favourites....
    All the Dollar westerns
    A Fistful of Dynamite
    Once Upon a Time in The West
    The Outlaw Josey wales
    Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
    The Professionals
    Joe Kidd
    High Plains Drifter
    Pat Garret and Billy the Kid
    True Grit (both versions)

• WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    The Sting (1973)

Reuniting Newman and Redford with Director George Roy Hill. What could possibly be better? Oh just the addition of the truly enigmatic Robert Shaw.

Just a truly terrific movie. When you think Shaw's character is the mark and you're in on the grifter's caper, only at the very end to realise that its you, the audience, who have fallen for the con.

(This is one of my favourite scenes of any film. I can watch it again and again and again with the same smile on my face).

The Big Boss

The first of the movies that made Bruce Lee a legend. Still great after all these years. Plus the documentary The Legend of Bruce Lee, which was part of the bonuses.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Agree about the The Wild Bunch, fabulous western. I thought it was John Wayne who was out raged by High Noon??

Both Wayne and Hawks IIRC. Good favorites list--I'll post some of my own:

Ride the High Country (1962, Dir. Sam Peckinpah, starring Randolph Scott & Joel McCrea)

Winchester '73 (1950, Dir. Anthony Mann, starring Jimmy Stewart)

The Naked Spur (1953, Dir. Anthony Mann, starring Jimmy Stewart)

Man of the West (1958, Dir. Anthony Mann, starring Gary Cooper)

The Tall T (1957, Dir. Budd Boetticher, starring Randolph Scott & Richard Boone)

Comanche Station (1960, Dir. Budd Boetticher, starring Randolph Scott)

The Hanging Tree (1959, Dir. Delmer Daves, starring Gary Cooper)

Stars in My Crown (1950, Dir. Jacques Tourneur, starring Joel McCrea)

Gunman's Walk (1958, Dir. Phil Karlson, starring Van Heflin & Tab Hunter)

The Bravados (1958, Dir. Henry King, starring Gregory Peck)

The Searchers (1956, Dir. John Ford, starring John Wayne)

Red River (1948, Dir. Howard Hawks, starring John Wayne & Montgomery Clift)

Go West (1925, Directed by and starring Buster Keaton)

The Paleface (1922, Directed by and starring Buster Keaton)

The Narrow Trail (1917, Dir. Lambert Hillyer, starring William S. Hart)

Hell's Hinges (1916, Dir. Charles Swickard & Clifford Smith, starring William S. Hart)

As mostly shown by my list, I regard 1950-1962 as the greatest era for the Western genre. I highly recommend all of these films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

All the Dollar westerns
    A Fistful of Dynamite
    The Outlaw Josey wales
    The Professionals
    Joe Kidd
    High Plains Drifter

Why does everyone seem to forget Hannie Caulder?? SMH....
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @Revelator Have you read “High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic” by Glenn Frankel?

I borrowed the book from my local library two years ago, but was too busy to finish it (at this point I’ll probably just buy a used copy at discount). From what I gathered, while screen writer Carl Foreman certainly had a different political outlook than John Wayne, he felt that Wayne was always upfront and honest about his opinions. IIRC, in his later years, he actually voiced greater displeasure with director Stanley Kramer for not sticking up for him more.

Anyway, in addition to “High Noon”,” Once Upon A Time in the West”, and the Sergio Leone/Eastwood trilogy, I like “Last Train from Gun Hill.”

LTFGH is a pretty middle of the road western (as these things go) but it was directed by John Sturges (of “The Magnificent Seven” fame) and stars Kirk Douglas, Anthony Quinn and Carolyn Jones. Plus, it was my mother’s favorite movie 😊. And one that I watch every year on what would have been her birthday.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Have you read “High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic” by Glenn Frankel?

I haven't read that, but I know it got excellent reviews, as did Frankel's previous book on The Searchers, which I also need to read. Wayne was indeed an honest and upfront person in his opinions, reprehensible as many of them were.
    Anyway, in addition to “High Noon”,” Once Upon A Time in the West”, and the Sergio Leone/Eastwood trilogy, I like “Last Train from Gun Hill.”

Thank you for the recommendation! I haven't seen that one and will track it down. Great cast and the reviews are good. The critic at DVDTalk claims the "taut, exciting script is basically the inverse of High Noon."
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,327
    Star-Wars-Attack-of-the-Clones.mkv_snapshot_01.01.54_2020.04.08_14.26.35-scaled.jpg?ssl=1
    Attack of the Clones 4K continuing a watch of all the 9 main films in UHD, Clones is a mixed bag at times terrible then god dam awesome. Like Episode 1 the sound is the standout superb Dolby Atmos, because the film is so CGI heavy shot originally in 1080p the 4K transfer does nothing really.

106228655-1573069721179irishamncropped.jpg?v=1579720234&w=678&h=381
    The Irishman The de-aging CGI was initially jarring though thankfully that did not last long and I was able to settle into the film, the film is a slow burner though I really enjoyed the era and settings of the film. This one is really all about character and relationships, spending 3 and a half hours watching greats like Pacino, De niro and Pesci do what they do best is a joy.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 6,813
    chrisisall wrote: »

All the Dollar westerns
    A Fistful of Dynamite
    The Outlaw Josey wales
    The Professionals
    Joe Kidd
    High Plains Drifter

Why does everyone seem to forget Hannie Caulder?? SMH....

An oversight my friend.
    Yes, Hannie Caulder is a great western!
    Ive never seen those Prophecy films with Walken , kinda curious
    Blue Skies

Bing Crosby croons as well as ever, Fred Astaire dances like a god (especially in the "Putting on the Ritz" number), Joan Caulfield and Olga San Juan are lovely, Billy de Wolfe is a great comic. What more can anyone ask for, right ?
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Star Wars (1977)
    My favourite star wars film.
    17796691_258671467927362_4396558937199515584_n.jpg?1495009746
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)

robinson%20crusoe-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg?k=c3b38800f1

This film came highly recommended, but I must admit I was let down. It feels like an episode of the original Star Trek TV series, but drawn out and done less well. I kept waiting for the good stuff that was promised to me, but had to fight boredom all the way through. Compared to other space sci-fi of the times, this one ranks more in the bottom section.
    Layer Cake

Watching Daniel Craig in this you can really see how it helped him get the Bond gig.

His confident swagger and stylish look just oozes 007.

This is such a great film in its own right though. Classy adaptation of the novel 👍
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Rush (2013)

Amazing film. Haven't watched it since seeing in the cinema in '13. Brilliant!
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 6,813
    Layer Cake

Watching Daniel Craig in this you can really see how it helped him get the Bond gig.

This is such a great film in its own right though. Classy adaptation of the novel 👍

I had only seen Craig in the TV series 'Our Friends in the North', a role you would never imagine he would be a contender for Bond. But when I saw Layer Cake, I knew they had made a good choice. His character wasnt an action hero, but he had tremendous presence and as you say, stylish and swagger. After the opening titles, he and another character stroll into a high class hotel for a meeting, he has a really confident walk that screams Bond. After all the negative press stories during production, and those morons in Craignotbond, i was still confident they had got the casting right. (THAT teaser poster also gave me a boost!) My first viewing of CR showed me thst even I underestimated how good he was going to be!
    Anyway, I digress pal. LAYER CAKE is a great thriller. Has one of my favourite lines ("You'd give an aspirin a headache!")
    Layer Cake

I had only seen Craig in the TV series 'Our Friends in the North', a role you would never imagine he would be a contender for Bond. But when I saw Layer Cake, I knew they had made a good choice. His character wasnt an action hero, but he had tremendous presence and as you say, stylish and swagger. After the opening titles, he and another character stroll into a high class hotel for a meeting, he has a really confident walk that screams Bond. After all the negative press stories during production, and those morons in Craignotbond, i was still confident they had got the casting right. (THAT teaser poster also gave me a boost!) My first viewing of CR showed me thst even I underestimated how good he was going to be!
    Anyway, I digress pal. LAYER CAKE is a great thriller. Has one of my favourite lines ("You'd give an aspirin a headache!")

That's a great line! It's funny but I always swore he said "You'd give an anadin an headache!

Must be the 'Mandela effect' 😁
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

This film came highly recommended, but I must admit I was let down. It feels like an episode of the original Star Trek TV series, but drawn out and done less well. I kept waiting for the good stuff that was promised to me, but had to fight boredom all the way through. Compared to other space sci-fi of the times, this one ranks more in the bottom section.

I was actually surprised by this one. Very dated and ridiculous in a lot of areas but I thought it was a fun '60s sci-fi escape, nothing too special.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I was actually surprised by this one. Very dated and ridiculous in a lot of areas but I thought it was a fun '60s sci-fi escape, nothing too special.

It was a long time ago when I saw this one. I was intrigued by the concept and poster art and that it seemed worthy of Criterion’s attention, but I had the same experience: I found it nothing too special at its best and rather boring at its worst.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 2,625

Agreed about the Star Trekish nature of Robinson Crusoe on Mars, although it really reminds me more of being a film length version of an episode of the 1960’s Outer Limits. It used to be on TV quite a bit back in the 1970s and early 1980s, and some years ago, I bought the Criterion DVD to have in my library.

Yes, the ending is a bit of a comedown (IMO), and its’ “science” is dated. On the other hand, it does at-least address the issues posed by Mars’ thin atmosphere. Remember, we didn’t really get a first real look at Mars until July 1965 when Mariner 4 flew by the planet – a full year after RCOM premiered. The space hardware shown in the film, actually looks like some of the early Manned Mars Mission concepts around at the time.

I like to think of RCOM as part of a “wave” of late 1950s’/ early 1960’s sci-fi movies that attempted to ground their plots in reasonable science, but got many of the details wrong (yeah, Venus is hot, but there are no sexy Venusian babes wearing seashell bras!!!). In attempting to balance accuracy and plot, however, they suffer pacing issues. In RCOM defense, it was a product of this dawn of the space age period, and Paul Mantee is likable and within the “robinson crusoe” plot, I always found his relationship with “Friday” to be respectful.

Plus…..Adam West. Note, Mr. West also went to Mars (and lived this time) in the Outer Limits episode “The Invisible Enemy.”
    It was a long time ago when I saw this one. I was intrigued by the concept and poster art and that it seemed worthy of Criterion’s attention, but I had the same experience: I found it nothing too special at its best and rather boring at its worst.

Speaking of Criterion, Barnes & Noble is having another Criterion half-off sale. DVDs/Blu-Rays from Arrow are also half-off. Good timing for Christmas shopping!

@Revelator. Thanks for the heads up. I already have about 3-4 titles on my "to-buy" list - including the restored version of George Pals' "War of the Worlds" (1954).