Sir Sean Connery 1930 - 2020

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    mtm wrote: »
    Surely people don't need to be reminded who he was by naming the role he got famous in?

You'd think, but I suppose the iconography of it keeps things simple for the papers who just want the general public to notice their front pages. I agree though, he was great in so many things as well as being the number one Bond, for me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2020 Posts: 14,861
    mtm wrote: »
    Surely people don't need to be reminded who he was by naming the role he got famous in?

You'd think, but I suppose the iconography of it keeps things simple for the papers who just want the general public to notice their front pages. I agree though, he was great in so many things as well as being the number one Bond, for me.

Indeed, but you'd think people would find a photo of Sean Connery simple enough to recognise Sean Connery! :)
    In a way it kind of makes me wonder if my perception is kind of skewed because I'm a Bond fan and maybe most other people do just think of him as Bond. But I kind of can't quite buy that: that period from the mid 80s or so to the late 90s where he was one of the very biggest movie stars there was can't have been forgotten, you'd think. He was bigger than Bond.

But I guess I'm fighting the tide if I complain about the press: they all got excited that Woolworths was coming back because a sixth form student opened a hoax Twitter account this week! :) They're not clever or thorough people!
  • Irish007Irish007 Dublin

It's absolutely impossible to disagree with this
    Extremely sad to read the news. Can I say that he was maybe THE most iconic actor of all the history of cinema, after Chaplin?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Always enjoyed Alec Baldwin speaking about his first time meeting him when they worked together years ago:

Such sad news. I just found out now when I woke up by reading my mother’s email. The best Bond and a terrific actor has left us. Rest In Peace Mr. Connery.
    Folks, you might enjoy the Dr. No Time to Die "trailer" on YouTube -- it is very well done. I fully expect it was done by someone who appears in these Discussion groups, and may have told everyone about it already, perhaps even above in this set of postings. I apologize if I missed it.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 2,436
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    =bg= wrote: »
    Curious why MI6 makes no mention of this on the main page; does anyone post on the weekend?

Too busy being politically correct Ninjas probably.

@BonSimonLeBon_1
    A simple question: why this ghastly comment in this thread of all places?

A main page post will be made soon enough. But our hosts are busy people, as are we all, who need to work, eat and sleep, as do we all.

It was a joke. You know? Roger Moore knew the value of taking the piss out of oneself - I hope the MI6 guys aren't too poe-faced to be insulted by such a joke, then again ...
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Over the years, one aspect of Connery’s work has gone under appreciated IMO: his cooperative nature with his peers. I was reminded on this – again – after reading one of the reader comments that accompanied his New York Times’ obit. After appearing in the 1970 film, “The Molly Maguires”, Connery wrote to costume designer Dorothy Jeakins and thanked her for her work.

From her obit:
    https://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/30/arts/dorothy-jeakins-dies-at-81-designed-costumes-for-films.html?searchResultPosition=1

(She said the only fan letter she ever received from an actor came from Sean Connery, after she dressed him for "The Molly Maguires," a 1970 film about a secret society of Irish mine workers in 19th-century Pennsylvania. "Your clothes made me feel like a coal miner," he wrote.)

Despite his many battles with studio heads, in every interview that I’ve ever read, Connery is always described as a very supportive and giving actor. Even Mie Hama (YOLT) – described working with Connery in glowing terms.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 2,887
    “With the glorious exceptions of Brando and Olivier, there's no screen actor I'd rather watch than Sean Connery. His vitality may make him the most richly masculine of all English-speaking actors; that thick, rumbling Scotsman's voice of his actually transforms English--muffles the clipped edges and humanizes the language.

"Connery looks absolutely confident in himself as a man. Women want to meet him, and men want to be him."
    -- Pauline Kael

“Nonprofessionals just didn’t realize what superb high-comedy acting that Bond role was. It was like what they used to say about Cary Grant. ‘Oh,’ they’d say, ‘he’s just got charm.’ Well, first of all, charm is actually not all that easy a quality to come by. And what they overlooked in both Cary Grant and Sean was their enormous skill.” -- Sidney Lumet

“There are only seven genuine movie stars in the world today, and Sean is one of them.” -- Steven Spielberg

After Sean Connery turned 90 I realized there was a good chance that someday soon I would wake to see his obituary. The news is neither shocking nor surprising, just sad. Not for Connery, who lived a terrific life, going from the slums of Edinburgh to the top of the world, becoming one of the greatest icons of modern cinema, but for us. He was larger than life, so how could he possibly die? To lose a man who embodied legends feels wrong, almost impossible.

The producers of the Bond movies were extraordinarily lucky--the man they cast was a natural movie star. Not merely a good actor or camera subject, but an actor with the charisma and presence displayed by a hero of history and legend. Who else could so convincingly play Agamemnon, Robin Hood, King Arthur, Hotspur, Macbeth, and Richard the Lionheart? Who else could seem so at home in those roles? The man with the capacity to embody these characters was fated to turn James Bond into a modern-day mythic hero. And when Connery embodied Bond he seared the character into the world's consciousness. Millions responded to his indisputable charisma, animal magnetism, and suave sense of irony and play. He created the role and defined it. For all of these reasons, it is impossible to imagine another actor surpassing him as Bond. Such an actor need to be what Connery was: an actor capable of creating legends onscreen, an icon in the same line as the larger-than-life screen gods--Bogart, Cooper, Grant, and Gable.

I would rather celebrate than mourn a man who enjoyed such a brilliant career. Like many great stars he made several duds, but all are compensated for by his triumphs. I wish he had gone out with a better film than the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (I would have loved to see him as King Lear) or had appeared in few more films, but I can't blame him for being fed up with modern Hollywood, a town run by idiots (in his words).

Though many remember him for his roles in blockbusters of the 80s and 90s, Connery did his greatest work in the 1970s, in the movies where he fully emerged from Bond's shadow. The greatest evidence of Connery's acting prowess is The Offence (1973), with his most challenging and lest glamorous role, a grubby, burnt-out small-town detective. Many actors shrink and grow drab in such down-to-earth, exhausting parts, but Connery stayed riveting.

To witness the greatest display of Connery's megawatt stature, his ability to embody legendary characters, watch his "mythic trilogy" of The Wind and the Lion (1975), Man Who Would Be King (1975), and Robin and Marian (1976). All of the characters in these films are flawed, flesh and blood men; Connery's earthiness never lets us forget this. But these men also attain a form of mythic greatness, conveyed by Connery's inner strength and command of the screen.

I don't know what Sean Connery was like in private life, but he had unrivaled charisma onscreen. Charisma is ultimately a form of self-confidence arising from a person's sense of his own merit. There is nothing self-conscious or forced in this person's acceptance of himself and his power. He is at home with the best of himself and thus able to express his finest qualities without strain or pretense. Many of us envy such people, so when Connery played James Bond he became the great fantasy hero of his age. To have such natural charisma and self-confidence made him the eternal James Bond. And yet after Bond this self-acceptance and confidence allowed him to escape sleek modern fantasy and play legends and mythic archetypes that were also deeply human. No other actor of our time managed this. Sean Connery takes his greatness to the grave.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Over the years, one aspect of Connery’s work has gone under appreciated IMO: his cooperative nature with his peers. I was reminded on this – again – after reading one of the reader comments that accompanied his New York Times’ obit. After appearing in the 1970 film, “The Molly Maguires”, Connery wrote to costume designer Dorothy Jeakins and thanked her for her work.

From her obit:
    https://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/30/arts/dorothy-jeakins-dies-at-81-designed-costumes-for-films.html?searchResultPosition=1

(She said the only fan letter she ever received from an actor came from Sean Connery, after she dressed him for "The Molly Maguires," a 1970 film about a secret society of Irish mine workers in 19th-century Pennsylvania. "Your clothes made me feel like a coal miner," he wrote.)

Despite his many battles with studio heads, in every interview that I’ve ever read, Connery is always described as a very supportive and giving actor. Even Mie Hama (YOLT) – described working with Connery in glowing terms.
    That's one of those little things that people don't hear about, preferring to dwell on the more controversial things.

During quarantine, I read one of the many Connery bios I have and a line stood out that summed him up. He mentioned that he would never tear up a hotel room or do something similarly destructive just because he's a star because he thought more about the person who would have to clean up after that. That's class.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    RIP SC. Icon is an overused word, but totally appropriate here.
    Some of the obituaries have been petty or worse--the BBC's was snide and condescending ("In truth, his Bond is now a museum piece...But Connery's performance was of its time"). But there have also been a some good articles:

"Sean Connery (1930-2020): He WAS James Bond, But Also So Much More" by Glen Kenny on Decider--the title is self explanatory.

"Bonded and Unbound: Sean Connery, 1930-2020," by Matt Zoller Seitz on RoberEbert.com, starts off extremely critical but is more understanding than some of the twitter denunciations.

"R.I.P. Sean Connery" has choice excerpts from his 1965 interview with Oriana Fallaci.

It's actually from 1997 and only the first section of it is online, but Kathleen Murphy's Film Comment article "The Man Who Would be King: Sean Connery" is excellent.

If anyone has found other good articles or obits, feel free to share.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    A complete recap of his life

Also, amul India gave a really sweet tribute to connery https://www.newsindiatimes.com/a-diamond-is-forever-amul-pays-tribute-to-original-james-bond-sean-connery/
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I watched The Russia House last night, for the first time. A good, if slightly sedate film, with Sir Sean back in espionage mode, albeit of a completely different nature.

Worth checking out for fans. Superb, supporting cast too. Michelle Pfeiffer, Bond alumnus Klaus Maria Branduer and Michael Kitchen. Not to mention the legendary Roy Schieder.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Dwayne wrote: »

From her obit:

That's one of those little things that people don't hear about, preferring to dwell on the more controversial things.

During quarantine, I read one of the many Connery bios I have and a line stood out that summed him up. He mentioned that he would never tear up a hotel room or do something similarly destructive just because he's a star because he thought more about the person who would have to clean up after that. That's class.

I own a couple of good books on Connery, both written by great people within the Bond world, Lee Phieffer and Robert Sellers, and have enjoyed dipping into them again over the weekend.
    BT3366 - Could you recommend a good Connery Bio that you read during quarantine please?
    It is a shame we never got the definitive autobiography but I'd like to read the next best thing.
  • Outside of Bond, to me his second greatest role was as John Patrick Mason in THE ROCK. A true iconic screen badass if there ever was one!!! Sean simply makes that movie!!! In fact if I had to pick the greatest single action hero of the 90s that would be it! And I’m not even one of those who consider THE ROCK to be the best action film of the 90s. It’s a good one but there are many others that are far better. But Sir Sean simply steals every scene he’s in in that one! In fact I get misty-eyed (I kid you not) during that brief father-daughter reunion between Connery and Claire Forlani outside the Palace of Fine Arts in San Fran. The way The Big Man plays it, Zimmer’s score. I find it a very touching scene. Whether it’s the more tender moments or the more badass ones Sir Sean completely nails it!
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I watched The Russia House last night, for the first time. A good, if slightly sedate film, with Sir Sean back in espionage mode, albeit of a completely different nature.

Worth checking out for fans. Superb, supporting cast too. Michelle Pfeiffer, Bond alumnus Klaus Maria Branduer and Michael Kitchen. Not to mention the legendary Roy Schieder.

Saw it when it was released and quite liked it.
    Outside of Bond, to me his second greatest role was as John Patrick Mason in THE ROCK. A true iconic screen badass if there ever was one!!! Sean simply makes that movie!!! In fact if I had to pick the greatest single action hero of the 90s that would be it! And I’m not even one of those who consider THE ROCK to be the best action film of the 90s. It’s a good one but there are many others that are far better. But Sir Sean simply steals every scene he’s in in that one! In fact I get misty-eyed (I kid you not) during that brief father-daughter reunion between Connery and Claire Forlani outside the Palace of Fine Arts in San Fran. The way The Big Man plays it, Zimmer’s score. I find it a very touching scene. Whether it’s the more tender moments or the more badass ones Sir Sean completely nails it!

I need to watch this one again soon. Been years. Great Connery flick!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2020 Posts: 17,729
    Very sad to hear of the death of the legendary and iconic Sir Sean Connery aged 90. Along with Terence Young he helped to create the template for the Bond film character in Dr. No and started in motion a series of films still being made nearly 60 years later. Connery was the first actor to illuminate Ian Fleming's "silhouette man" on the big screen and the other Bonds that followed Connery's lead either emulated him or tried to differ somewhat from his original approach to the Bond character.

Condolences to his family and friends at this sad time.
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 14,800
    My favourite role of Sean Connery after Bond is William of Baskerville in The Name of the Rose. Because he played the anti Bond and he played him seemlessly.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    My favourite role of Sean Connery after Bond is William of Baskerville in The Name of the Rose. Because he played the anti Bond and he played him seemlessly.

Great movie, and i believe Michael Caine was first choice for the role. Much as I love Caine, Connery is much more suited.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 8,657
    I'm afraid I failed to actually send this yesterday/last night, as it was in my "drafts" folder:

I may be late in commenting, but my wife and I actually discussed which movie to watch in Sean's memory. It turned out to be FRWL (though Red October, The Untouchables and Indiana Jones 3 were strong contenders). At any rate, RIP (quite without religious meaning, but a lot of good intentions).

And PS: I also watched ENTRAPMENT last night (for the first time after more than ten years) and also enjoyed it.
    Contraband wrote: »
    If anybody's interested, Connery played in midfield for the Showbiz XI with Tommy Steele and Des O’Connor in the same line-up. It was pre-Bond. You can see Connery on the far left.
    ShowBiz%20Team-0-0-0-0-1591283238.jpg
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    bondsum wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »
    If anybody's interested, Connery played in midfield for the Showbiz XI with Tommy Steele and Des O’Connor in the same line-up. It was pre-Bond. You can see Connery on the far left.
    ShowBiz%20Team-0-0-0-0-1591283238.jpg

Even back then, Connery was an absolute beast wasn't he. Look at the size of him compared to the others.

In another life, if he'd have signed for Matt Busby, I could see him easily going toe to toe against Billy Bremner and Norman Hunter etc.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Very cool. I think I can easily imagine Connery as a midfielder, as he was stylish with his doings.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Tommy Steele isn't in that photo is he? I can't spot him.
    But it does look like Connery is stood next to Reggie Kray! :D
    Anthony Lane has published a fine appreciation in The New Yorker: "The Undeniable Sean Connery."
    Broke out my old PS2 this evening and started another playthrough of From Russia With Love.Its still hard to believe that in 2005 they managed to get Sean to come back and record new dialogue as James Bond.Its a really good game and well worth a look if Seans passing has made you nostalgic for some 60s set 007 action!

[url="[youtube]