Sir Sean Connery 1930 - 2020

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    RIP Sean Connery. I won't lie and say that he was my favourite, though I have always thought highly of his first two Bond films, and he was my dads #1 favourite Bond.

As for the twitter reaction, don't be surprised. This is the reaction his "imfamous" interview gets. But where is the twitter outrage towards Amber Heard (who admitted in audio to abusing, not just simply slapping, Johnny Depp, and goading him that as a man, he would not be believed)? Where's the twitter outrage towards Kelly Brook, who admitted to punching her partner? Women do it, and twitter call them "queens". Men do it, and... this happens.
    Thank you Sean for all the joy and pleasure you brought us over the decades.

What an awful year this has been
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    mtm wrote: »
    Bond wrote: »
    Bond wrote: »
    Social media like Twitter and Reddit are at their worst in reaction to Sean's death... I really do hate so many aspects of our modern society.

Care to elaborate?

All the memoriam threads to Sean on Twitter are being hijacked by the likes of folks condemning him as a "wife beater" and for his public comments about slapping women from 1987.

I'm not seeing all them going that way, I don't think it's quite that bad. And I don't think it's controversial to say that he had perhaps a slightly more divisive personality than Sir Roger did, and although there's much more to a person than just one attitude I think it's okay for people to find his comments on that subject to be something they remain uneasy with. And it is an important subject. I doubt many of us here would agree with his thoughts on that.
    But he was, undoubtably, superb in front of a camera; peerless perhaps.

Sean was a man's man from a different era. Idiotic snowflakes who never had to fight for anything in their miserable digital lives aren't able to comprehend that. That fragment is severely taken out of context. Slapping was definitely more tolerated a couple of decades ago. Don't forget women did/do that as well, just as well. Obviously it happens less and less, as well as being physical towards our children, as we rather use words in this day and age.

Again, a lot of idiots cannot comprehend that one always has to put words/actions also in the context of the time it was said in or happened.

That's not really how it works: you don't get to call victims of abuse 'idiotic snowflakes', but this thread isn't the place to discuss it.

There we go again gaslighting @mtm as usual. You never learn.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    German TV just managed to squeeze in a 15-minute-portrayal of Sir Sean at 11:50pm-
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861
    RIP Sean Connery. I won't lie and say that he was my favourite, though I have always thought highly of his first two Bond films, and he was my dads #1 favourite Bond.

As for the twitter reaction, don't be surprised. This is the reaction his "imfamous" interview gets. But where is the twitter outrage towards Amber Heard (who admitted in audio to abusing, not just simply slapping, Johnny Depp, and goading him that as a man, he would not be believed)? Where's the twitter outrage towards Kelly Brook, who admitted to punching her partner? Women do it, and twitter call them "queens". Men do it, and... this happens.

I'm not sure we should be discussing domestic abuse in this tribute thread, should we? I'm sure there was plenty of outrage towards Ms Brook- maybe some people called her a queen, but equally we have someone here saying a man hitting a woman is a 'man's man'. I think it would be disingenuous to suggest that abuse of men was the same thing as abuse of women: women are more likely to be seriously hurt or killed - it affects women disproportionately.
    I just don't think this is the place to talk about it..? As a moderator I'll defer to your judgement.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 870

Double post
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 870

It almost feels like I've lost a family member or a friend.

Dr. No was the first Bond film I saw when I was a kid in the mid 80s. I will watch it again today.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I'm not sure we should be discussing domestic abuse in this tribute thread, should we? I'm sure there was plenty of outrage towards Ms Brook- maybe some people called her a queen, but equally we have someone here saying a man hitting a woman is a 'man's man'. I think it would be disingenuous to suggest that abuse of men was the same thing as abuse of women: women are more likely to be seriously hurt or killed - it affects women disproportionately.
    I just don't think this is the place to talk about it..? As a moderator I'll defer to your judgement.

Just seems like a crass time to drag his name through the mud, that's all. I can honestly say that I don't use twitter, and I never will.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861

Just seems like a crass time to drag his name through the mud, that's all. I can honestly say that I don't use twitter, and I never will.

I honestly find the Bond community on there rather lovely, and very funny too.
    I agree that it's not the time to speak badly of someone, but equally that doesn't mean that any flaws they had, once they have been mentioned even if someone else brought them up, should be defended as strengths.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England

Neither would I - it’s a cesspool for millennials, SJW’s and snowflakes who wouldn’t last two seconds in the previous 5 years before social media became a blight on our lives. To drag Sir Sean’s name through the mud is low, even by their self-righteous, fun-killing standards.

I honestly find the Bond community on there rather lovely, and very funny too.
    I agree that it's not the time to speak badly of someone, but equally that doesn't mean that any flaws they had, once they have been mentioned even if someone else brought them up, should be defended as strengths.

So I assume you feel a revulsion to even watching a film like Goldfinger? If it bothers you that Sean would even say something as innocuous as that a slap or two might be warranted only in the most provocative of situations, then I'm sure the scenes shown between Bond and Pussy Galore in 1964 are not tolerable for you to watch.
  • Rest in Peace, Sir Sean! A true legend, inspiring figure to so many of us, and loved all around the world. Like Sir Roger, he's proven that 00's actually have a long life expectancy - it is reassuring to read that he died in sleep at home and with family near him.

It is good cause to celebrate his life, career, and legacy. I will find time to revisit The Name of the Rose.
  • Mrzstardust789Mrzstardust789 England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4
    Sadly we are of a time where the legends of our era will pass. As much as it saddens me, I smile to know I have shared this little piece of our infinitesimal universe with them and I appreciate their work, and the work of those who stand on the shoulders of these giants.
    RIP and much love to you Sir Sean, thank you
    For me Sean Connery defined Bond and changed my life forever after watching "Goldfinger" in '64. R.I.P.
  • Mrzstardust789Mrzstardust789 England
    And as much as I love 007, I feel that a viewing of Outland is in order tonight.
    And as much as I love 007, I feel that a viewing of Outland is in order tonight.

I'm watching INDY 3 right now and probably RED OCTOBER later.
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I watched both of those not long ago. I'm gonna go for The First Great Train Robbery tonight.

I watched both of those not long ago. I'm gonna go for The First Great Train Robbery tonight.

Great choice! Reminded me that I have a copy of that one. May watch it later as well.
    The Bond theme playing at half-time between Liverpool-West Ham. Nice tribute!
  • MJH1973MJH1973 North West, UK

Just about to post the same. Lovely touch

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

Ah that's nice.

I thought Will Gompertz on the BBC wrapped up his piece on Connery rather nicely, he said "He will be forever remembered for playing 007, but James Bond didn't make Sean Connery: Sean Connery made James Bond"
    Sad to know he's no longer physically with us, but hard to get upset when someone we all love lives into their nineties. RIP Sir Sean.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Rest in peace to a personal hero of mine and a national treasure and icon.

Sir Sean made having screen presence, star quality and natural charisma look easy.

Just purchased a bluray copy of that, so may go that way myself. Either that or 'The Hill', one of my favourite Connery roles.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

That brilliant!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm quite surprised how media coverage is really calling him 'James Bond star' so much: I thought he'd moved beyond the Bond role and was just known as 'movie star Sean Connery'.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 17,241

Ah that's nice.

I thought Will Gompertz on the BBC wrapped up his piece on Connery rather nicely, he said "He will be forever remembered for playing 007, but James Bond didn't make Sean Connery: Sean Connery made James Bond"

This is very, very true. Imagine if they had cast the wrong actor back in '62; DN might have ended up as a one-off spy adventure! Instead, all those years later, we are waiting for the 25th film of the series.
    I'm quite surprised how media coverage is really calling him 'James Bond star' so much: I thought he'd moved beyond the Bond role and was just known as 'movie star Sean Connery'.

Exactly. He was immensely popular in the later years of his film career in many ways for having moved beyond Bond. A true movie star.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Curious why MI6 makes no mention of this on the main page; does anyone post on the weekend?
  • =bg= wrote: »
    Curious why MI6 makes no mention of this on the main page; does anyone post on the weekend?

Too busy being politically correct Ninjas probably.