Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Hope everybody in Europe is keeping safe (I know a lot of members are over there). Heard some stories of record level positive cases.
    Thanks for thinking about us. Even we in Germany have higher levels of infection figures than in spring, but so far it seems ICUs are not really challenged. It has a lot to do with extended testing, improved treatment and so on. While necessary restrictions are bound to be somewhat aggravating, it seems we'll make it somehow.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Hope everybody in Europe is keeping safe (I know a lot of members are over there). Heard some stories of record level positive cases.
    Thanks for thinking about us. Even we in Germany have higher levels of infection figures than in spring, but so far it seems ICUs are not really challenged. It has a lot to do with extended testing, improved treatment and so on. While necessary restrictions are bound to be somewhat aggravating, it seems we'll make it somehow.

Well, your neighbours are doing a lot worse I'm afraid, as the hospitals are filling again, and so are the ICU's. Yes, testing is up and yes, most tested positive are younger (the ones who need their 'freedom'), so it isn't going as fast as the first wave. An expert compared it to a tsunami. Those usually don't look that bad from the start, but as they keep on swelling, soon enough the numbers are going to be massive. Mind you, I hope not, but here in the low countries things are looking bad. We've already diverted some IC patients to Germany.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,352
    Melbourne's 111-day lockdown is finally over ,for now.

‘Lost the plot’: Victoria’s second wave coronavirus victims’ families slam Daniel Andrews’ celebrations

Premier Daniel Andrews has been blasted for sharing “smart arse” celebratory end of lockdown tweets featuring doughnuts and whiskey by Victorians who lost loved ones to coronavirus.

2 doughnuts............ :-O
    028e3a12d11bdf8570458ff1093a3e92?width=316
    https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/lost-the-plot-victorias-second-wave-coronavirus-victims-families-slam-daniel-andrews-celebrations/news-story/fe44c4dd55ee900deab770fd04de8391
    Idiot.

Well, here, there is talk of a new lockdown, which doesn't suit me at all, given that right now, I'm on vacation in Britanny, where my family lives. I intended to go and visit at least a few of them (mainly my sister, to see her about my other sister's succession), attend the service for this year's dead, visit my parent's grave at the cemetary, and various other things (including a visit to our family's sollicitor to get informtions not only about my sister's succession, but also prepare mine -one never knows, right ?). Seems I'm going to have to cancel all that. Not to mention that I left my sister's cat at home. I had asked a colleague at work to take care of the poor thing, but will she be able to now ? Frankly, I'm not really filled with confidence right now. We'll see tonight, when the president announces the various measures that will be put into place as of tonight. But I fear the worse.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I think that if France will go into lockdown, Italy will follow as well in a couple of weeks. It’s a lost battle.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Idiot.

Well, here, there is talk of a new lockdown, which doesn't suit me at all, given that right now, I'm on vacation in Britanny, where my family lives. I intended to go and visit at least a few of them (mainly my sister, to see her about my other sister's succession), attend the service for this year's dead, visit my parent's grave at the cemetary, and various other things (including a visit to our family's sollicitor to get informtions not only about my sister's succession, but also prepare mine -one never knows, right ?). Seems I'm going to have to cancel all that. Not to mention that I left my sister's cat at home. I had asked a colleague at work to take care of the poor thing, but will she be able to now ? Frankly, I'm not really filled with confidence right now. We'll see tonight, when the president announces the various measures that will be put into place as of tonight. But I fear the worse.

I take it that the people you refer to as "idiots" are not the government for contemplating a lockdown, but rather the people who have acted irresponsibly to the extent that a lock down now is probably a strict necessity?
    I was calling Daniel Andrews an idiot.
    Gerard wrote: »
    I was calling Daniel Andrews an idiot.

Aha. Now I see... :P
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well, my country is now apparently the worst COVID country in Europe. Hospitals have no more room for new patients in their IC units, but hundreds need treatment every day.

That's what you get when your government "trusts" people to do the right thing.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Well, my country is now apparently the worst COVID country in Europe. Hospitals have no more room for new patients in their IC units, but hundreds need treatment every day.

Sheer Human stupidity created the virus, and sheer Human stupidity fuels its tenacity. On the bright side? Population problem taking a big dent. If I get it I will almost certainly be part of that dent.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Personally I think overpopulation is the main cause of the virus and it’s spread. Followed closely by stupidity.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    DarthDimi wrote: »

tbh with the government you guys have, and its governing structure, there's hardly anything more for them to do. Saying that your northern neighbours aren't far behind, and the more arrogant for it as well. But our government won't do a proper lockdown at all. We first had an 'intelligent' lockdown and now we'll get a 'partial' lockdown, whatever that may be. But only if more people start dying. Even though the IC's are at their top already.
    Personally I think overpopulation is the main cause of the virus and it’s spread. Followed closely by stupidity.

In 3rd world countries I would agree. In the industrialized world however, there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to contain it better og people cooperate.
    jobo wrote: »

In 3rd world countries I would agree. In the industrialized world however, there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to contain it better og people cooperate.

Fair point. I might refine my argument to say the creation of the virus was 60% (for illustration's sake) overpopulation 40% stupidity, but when it comes to the spreading of the virus, 90% stupidity. Given how China shows some characteristics of the third world.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,958

I think this is also part of it, including destruction of the rain forests, encroachment on animal habitats, poverty, starvation, etc.

A person eating "bush meat" caused HIV to jump to humans. A person eating a pangolin or a bat caused Covid-19 to jump to humans.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    And the viruses get worse.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Practically all viral epidemics have had their origins in the meat industry.
    Just saw on Instagram, the two causes of the spread of coronavirus:
    1) how dense the population is,
    2) how dense the population is.

Seemed very relevant to our discussion :))

Precisely.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Precisely.

Except that apparently it's not the national (or regional by any definition) population density that is important, but how close people from different places choose to get together. A club which is the only place where people that live 50 miles apart can have a dancing party together is probably worse than a local place where people who meet each other anyway during the day are having a beer together.

Precisely.

Except that apparently it's not the national (or regional by any definition) population density that is important, but how close people from different places choose to get together. A club which is the only place where people that live 50 miles apart can have a dancing party together is probably worse than a local place where people who meet each other anyway during the day are having a beer together.

Did you miss the dense joke there? ;)
    Well, it's official : France is, again, in lockdown, until december 1st at best. Which means that I'm forced to shorten my sojourn in Brest. Right now, I'm at my sister's place till sunday, and I will go back home then. I may be able to attend the service to the dead and visit the cemetary before I leave, but as for the visit to the sollicitor, better forget it. So, the rest of my vacation will be spent at home, near Paris. Frankly, with my tooth (it's getting better, don't worry) and that, one can pretty much say that those vacations have been crap. But then again, the whole year since march has been crap.
    Practically all viral epidemics have had their origins in the meat industry.

I wouldn't call bush meat part of the 'meat industry'. But yes, getting infections from meat is far more likely to happen than from plants.

Still, this all is nothing compared to the black death.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well, there it is. Belgium is now in lockdown too. Again. The word was used by our prime minister a few minutes ago. Starting next Monday, I get to stay home for two weeks and will then most likely be told to do most of my teaching online.

I think that's a good thing. Online teaching is at most a minor inconvenience when thinking of the effective results this might bring with it in our battle against the virus. There will be economical, psychological and social blood... but none of that matters quite as much as our physical health IMO.

Precisely.

Did you miss the dense joke there? ;)

May be so. I appreciate it anyway,

Well, that's a relief.

Well, that's a relief.

Ive been doing a bit of reading (who hasn’t!) about the Black Death. It’s quite fascinating the long term effects it had on the course of western civilisation and in turn human history.
    Right now, in France, thenon-essential "mom and pop stores" are not happy. They're complaining that the big chains (like Fnac and Darty) and big marts (Leclerc, Carrefour and the like) are allowed to stay open and sell, for example, books and other cultural goods, which has pushed the government to ask said chains and marts to cordon off their library and CD and DVD departments. Now, small toy stores are asking for the same treatment for the toys aisles in marts. Stupid. Especially in this period where people buy their christmas gifts.

And some towns have decided to keep even "non-essential" stores open (in Perpignan, for example). I really don't have the words.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    In Australia the state borders are closed i think since about march.
    That's what dumb ass political leaders we have in this country.

Any other countries where state, provincial etc borders are closed ?

That's why I have never voted for anyone EVER in council, state and nationwide elections.

Australia is a political mess and they are proving it now more than ever.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    edited November 2020 Posts: 784
    In Australia the state borders are closed i think since about march.
    That's what dumb ass political leaders we have in this country.

Any other countries where state, provincial etc borders are closed ?

That's why I have never voted for anyone EVER in council, state and nationwide elections.

Australia is a political mess and they are proving it now more than ever.

Yes, Canada is closed off from the USA, and Mexico is closed off from the USA. Both Canada and Mexico closed the boarders on the USA in fact.

We tried to ban all incoming flights from outside the USA back in February or January I believe when this got serious, but the administration was labeled xenphobic.

And in my state of NY, the Governor has issued all kinds of travel bans on incoming people or people traveling to other states. There was a list of some 30 plus states, where the individual had to quarantine for 14 days if entering NY from a listed state.