Sir Sean Connery 1930 - 2020

Comments

• DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Bond wrote: »
    Social media like Twitter and Reddit are at their worst in reaction to Sean's death... I really do hate so many aspects of our modern society.

Twitter is a cesspool - I avoid it like the plague.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Social media like Twitter and Reddit are at their worst in reaction to Sean's death... I really do hate so many aspects of our modern society.

Care to elaborate?
  • silva13silva13 Australia
    90 years old is a pretty good age to reach, doesn't make it any easier however.
    Rest in peace, Sir Sean Connery.
    You'll be remembered as one of the biggest icons of the silver screen, you changed cinema history with your magnetic screen presence. You also changed my life by allowing the 11 year old watching GF for the first time to understand the importance of confidence, class and charisma. I'm sure we all carry some of you in our hearts. Thankyou!
    Devastating. It's not only for Bond, but for all his awesome career.

Care to elaborate?

All the memoriam threads to Sean on Twitter are being hijacked by the likes of folks condemning him as a "wife beater" and for his public comments about slapping women from 1987.
  • So, so sad to hear the passing of Sir Sean Connery! He lived an incredible life, had a great career and had great impact on all of us. RIP to, imo, the best Bond of all time.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England

Care to elaborate?

All the memoriam threads to Sean on Twitter are being hijacked by the likes of folks condemning him as a "wife beater" and for his public comments about slapping women from 1987.

The cancel culture mob always strive to upset and annoy. Just ignore them and they’ll go away.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Daniel Craig: “It is with such sadness that I heard of the passing of one of the true greats of cinema.

Sir Sean Connery will be remembered as Bond and so much more. He defined an era and a style. The wit and charm he portrayed on screen could be measured in mega watts; he helped create the modern blockbuster.

He will continue to influence actors and film-makers alike for years to come.

My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

Wherever he is, I hope there is a golf course.”
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    I wonder if EON will release a tribute video like they did for Sir Roger a few years ago.

Care to elaborate?

Oh, them. Vampires, the lot of them. May they all get slapped across the face by Connery in the afterlife.
    Words fail me.
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Classified
    Awful news to wake up to... Wow. What an icon, a legend. Goodbye, Mr. Bond. 😔
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,273
    very strange day for me. We got married at the same church as the big man, the same venue for the wedding reception, and he dies on the same day that I met my wife 20 years ago. Today is our anniversary when we met. Very strange day. :(
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Much like Sir Roger Moore, this is gutting and terrible news to wake up to. There's really nothing I can say that others haven't - the man was a living, breathing legend and put his permanent stamp on cinema with one of the all-time greatest roles in film. You'll be missed, Mr. Connery, thanks for the many, many years of awe, spectacle and cool entertainment. Damn.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    We all knew that this day would come, still it's sad to loose the man who created the cinematic James Bond. RIP Sir Sean Connery. At least he will have great company up there with Sir Roger Moore, Honor Blackman, Gert Fröbe, Dame Diana Rigg and Sir Patrick Macnee.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    RIP Sir Sean Connery, you were the best!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The man who defined cinematic Bond has left us, the performances however will live on for eternity. RIP Sir Sean Connery, the OG.
    In shock. I feel like I've been kicked in the gut or hit in the throat.
    Wow. At the same time, 90 is an amazing age to make it to. Connery had more life experience that one could dream of.
    Very sad, though.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    We're all just passing through and he made it to 90 and had a great life... we still have his movies to enjoy... still, it's sad to see an era fade and pass, he was such an icon.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861

Care to elaborate?

I'm not seeing all them going that way, I don't think it's quite that bad. And I don't think it's controversial to say that he had perhaps a slightly more divisive personality than Sir Roger did, and although there's much more to a person than just one attitude I think it's okay for people to find his comments on that subject to be something they remain uneasy with. And it is an important subject. I doubt many of us here would agree with his thoughts on that.
    But he was, undoubtably, superb in front of a camera; peerless perhaps.
    mtm wrote: »

Care to elaborate?

I'm not seeing all them going that way, I don't think it's quite that bad. And I don't think it's controversial to say that he had perhaps a slightly more divisive personality than Sir Roger did, and although there's much more to a person than just one attitude I think it's okay for people to find his comments on that subject to be something they remain uneasy with. And it is an important subject. I doubt many of us here would agree with his thoughts on that.

Sean was a man's man from a different era. Idiotic snowflakes who never had to fight for anything in their miserable digital lives aren't able to comprehend that. That fragment is severely taken out of context. Slapping was definitely more tolerated a couple of decades ago. Don't forget women did/do that as well, just as well. Obviously it happens less and less, as well as being physical towards our children, as we rather use words in this day and age.

Again, a lot of idiots cannot comprehend that one always has to put words/actions also in the context of the time it was said in or happened.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Utterly devasted. The worst news ever. :(
    Dying in your sleep peacefully surrounded by family in your house in the Bahamas aged 90.

I think we'd all take that.

Thanks for the memories.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861
    mtm wrote: »

Care to elaborate?

Sean was a man's man from a different era. Idiotic snowflakes who never had to fight for anything in their miserable digital lives aren't able to comprehend that. That fragment is severely taken out of context. Slapping was definitely more tolerated a couple of decades ago. Don't forget women did/do that as well, just as well. Obviously it happens less and less, as well as being physical towards our children, as we rather use words in this day and age.

Again, a lot of idiots cannot comprehend that one always has to put words/actions also in the context of the time it was said in or happened.

That's not really how it works: you don't get to call victims of abuse 'idiotic snowflakes', but this thread isn't the place to discuss it.
    Im in tears right now as i write this.Watching him as Bond and in his other great movie roles inspired me so much growing up.He was to me,the definition of what a man should be.Strong,confident,intelligent,charismatic.

RIP you magnificent rogue.

Agreed I haven’t seen the comments o don’t think I want to
    Diamonds Are Forever was my first ever visit to the cinema. I became a lifelong cinema fan, a lifelong Bond fan and a lifelong Sean Connery fan. The first poster I had on my bedroom wall was Connery as Bond. Sad news indeed. R.I.P.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Official 007:

SIR SEAN CONNERY (1930 – 2020)
    The iconic actor has passed away

"Sir Sean Connery has died at the age of 90. He was the first actor to play James Bond on the big screen with Dr. No in 1962, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever followed.

Producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli have released the following statement: “We are devastated by the news of the passing of Sean Connery. He was and shall always be remembered as the original James Bond whose indelible entrance into cinema history began when he announced those unforgettable words — “The name’s Bond… James Bond” — he revolutionised the world with his gritty and witty portrayal of the sexy and charismatic secret agent. He is undoubtedly largely responsible for the success of the film series and we shall be forever grateful to him.”

Daniel Craig said: “It is with such sadness that I heard of the passing of one of the true greats of cinema. Sir Sean Connery will be remembered as Bond and so much more. He defined an era and a style. The wit and charm he portrayed on screen could be measured in mega watts; he helped create the modern blockbuster. He will continue to influence actors and film-makers alike for years to come. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones. Wherever he is, I hope there is a golf course.”

Sean Connery’s style, grace and sheer magnetism brought Ian Fleming’s character of James Bond to life. It was Connery’s interpretation of 007 that helped establish the foundation of success upon which the entire James Bond series has been built.

Born in Fountainbridge, Scotland, Connery had many jobs before he joined the Royal Navy hoping to see the world. Having served for three years as an able seaman assigned to battleships he was discharged and trained as a French polisher before deciding to enter the Mr Universe contest in 1953. He won a bronze medal in his weight division. At the age of 23 he had a choice between becoming a professional footballer for Manchester United or an actor and he chose acting. His first major film role was in No Road Back in 1957, followed by parts in TV programmes and movies such as Requiem For A Heavyweight (1957), Anna Christie (1957), Another Time, Another Place (1958), Darby O’Gill And The Little People (1959), Macbeth (1961) and Anna Karenina (1961).

In the summer of 1961 Connery entered the Mayfair offices of Albert R Broccoli. His producing partner, Harry Saltzman and United Artists executive Bud Ornstein watched Connery stride across the street. “He moved,” Saltzman recalled, “like a jungle cat”. He would, they felt, be perfect for the role of James Bond.

He received a knighthood in 2000. In 2006 the American Film Institute awarded Connery a Lifetime Achievement award, and he is recognised as one of the most influential and successful actors of the past half century. He is survived by his wife Micheline Roquebrune and his son Jason."
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I bet he and Roger are up there, playing Chemin de fer as we speak...
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Cheers to you Sean, a true legend. Thank you for creating a character so close to all of our hearts.