Sir Sean Connery 1930 - 2020

Comments

Devastated. RIP to the first and greatest Bond of them all. My childhood hero, and idol I have spent a lifetime mimicking.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,416
    Sean Connery :(

https://www.nu.nl/entertainment/6087459/james-bond-acteur-sean-connery-90-overleden.amp

Dr No
    From Russia With Love
    Goldfinger
    Thunderball
    You Only Live Twice
    Diamonds Are Forever
    Never Say Never Again

The Hunt For Red October
    Entrapment
    Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
    A Good Man in Africa
    The Name Of The Rose
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    The Rock
    Just Cause

And thanks for all your other movies i have seen.

Rest in Peace Sir.... you absolute Legend.
    Absolutely heartbreaking. 2020 has been such an awful year.

Rest in Peace old chap. Nobody did it better.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Sir Sean died last night in his sleep at his home in the Bahamas...

A sublime exit...
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    "Let my armies be the rocks and the trees. And the birds in the sky"
    St. Peter — Your name, sir?

Bond... James Bond.

St. Peter — We already have one here by that name sir, I think you two will get along just fine.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Gutted. What a true legend. An actor who was a joy to watch.

Brought James Bond to life in a clever and effortless fashion.

Thanks for all the great films, Sean.
  • MrHatsuka1MrHatsuka1 Sydney
    RIP Sir Sean. You were a giant. We will remember you forever.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 299
    RIP Sir Sean :(
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,861
    "Producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli: “We are devastated by the news of the passing of Sir Sean Connery. He was and shall always be remembered as the original James Bond whose indelible entrance into cinema history began when he announced those unforgettable words — "The name’s Bond... James Bond” — he revolutionised the world with his gritty and witty portrayal of the sexy and charismatic secret agent. He is undoubtedly largely responsible for the success of the film series and we shall be forever grateful to him.”
    This is upsetting at least we have the memories and the movies Rest In Peace Sean I plan on watching from Russia with love now
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    'Unless you have some kind of standard's, everything turns to shit!' Sir Sean Connery.

That sentence is why I love this man.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    RIP Sean, the original and best 007.
    'Unless you have some kind of standard's, everything turns to shit!' Sir Sean Connery.

That sentence is why I love this man.

And little did most people know... he meant "sit". Unless you have STANDards, everything turns to SIT. :>
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Absolutely gutted. Thank you for everything Sir Sean.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    RIP Sir Sean Connery.
    Now I'm really sad we didn't all get to see the Bonds together one last time in 2012 for the 50th anniversary like we were hoping. What a cherished moment that would be right now.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    What can I say? I'm gutted.
    RIP Sir Sean Connery.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Sean was cinema.

Farewell, and RIP.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 254
    Absolutely gutted to hear this news - RIP Sir Sean. One of the best and most iconic Bond’s ever, and whom made the franchise what it is today. Sir Roger’s waiting for him at the pearly gates :((
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    What even more frustrated is that Sean Connery have been the only Bond who can have seen all 25 (27) movies in the cinema.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The first and the best, effortlessly charismatic.

R.I.P

goodbye "Mr Bond, James Bond"
    M_Balje wrote: »
    What even more frustrated is that Sean Connery have been the only Bond who can have seen all 25 (27) movies in the cinema.

Why? All but one of the Bond actors were before 1962.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden

Could this year get any worse?
    R.I.P. Sean Connery. Legend.
    Not just just for being a brilliant James Bond.
    So many great roles.
    Terribly sad news.
    What's especially sad is we knew this day would occur one day, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Found out from a work colleague as I was covering a story this morning and figure I'll be here a lot of the day to share with other fans.

But what a great body of work that will keep his spirit alive forever.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 12,837
    Irreplaceable in a way. The series only managed to move out of its shadow by continually reinventing itself (going lighter, going darker, going more real, etc). It’s pointless trying to recreate the originals, because who could do it better than Sean? But even then, there’s still a bit of him in all his successors. That shadow was impossible to avoid entirely. He defined the cinematic version of the character, and I think he’ll still generally be thought of as the best for the rest of all our lives.

Impossible to describe the effect his casting had on film history really. It wasn’t just hugely iconic in itself, it was also the beginning of a legend. I think him, Young and the rest deserve as much credit for helping define the DNA of the series as Fleming did (even Fleming seemed influenced by the movies in the last few novels).

Absolutely gutted, that’s two of my childhood heroes gone now. Thanks for the memories big man.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    I am heartbroken, positively shocked, shaken and stirred. The word 'legend' doesn't do this man justice.
    Farewell to the greatest of them all.
    Social media like Twitter and Reddit are at their worst in reaction to Sean's death... I really do hate so many aspects of our modern society.