Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    suavejmf wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Joaquin Phoenix is also American. You can’t tell me Phoenix wouldn’t be utterly amazing as Bond.

He would not be an amazing Bond.

Exactly. One, he’s a midget and two, he’s not ‘leading man’ material in the traditional sense. He looks like an ‘Everyman.’

The above assumes he could pull off the accent as well. Otherwise that’s reason three.

1. Daniel Craig is also a “midget”.

2. Neither was Craig before Bond.

3. Are you serious? Do you think the average bloke is as good looking as Joaquin? Are you tripping balls?

4. He could pull of a Roman Emperor convincingly. I think he could pull off a Brit.
    I actually think he below average looking,
    He’s a great actor but would be horribly miscast as Bond, no matter how well he could do a convincing accent.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 727
    He looks like Bond. Look at the cold eyes. He even has a scar above his mouth.

original.jpg?1519971501

That’s below average looking? I gotta go to New Orleans. They must have supermodels for men.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Joaquin Phoenix is also American. You can’t tell me Phoenix wouldn’t be utterly amazing as Bond.

He would not be an amazing Bond.

Exactly. One, he’s a midget and two, he’s not ‘leading man’ material in the traditional sense. He looks like an ‘Everyman.’

The above assumes he could pull off the accent as well. Otherwise that’s reason three.

1. Daniel Craig is also a “midget”.

2. Neither was Craig before Bond.

3. Are you serious? Do you think the average bloke is as good looking as Joaquin? Are you tripping balls?

4. He could pull of a Roman Emperor convincingly. I think he could pull off a Brit.

1. Daniel Craig is 5ft 10in. UK average height. Phoenix is 5ft 8in. Your point isn’t logical. Craig’s height is only borderline acceptable at a push as it is.

2. Layer Cake.

4. Yes, he’s average looking, especially for a Hollywood actor. He’s an ‘Everyman.’ His brother Phoenix was the family member blessed with the better height and looks. I’m not sure what ‘tripping balls’ is? I assume some drug takers slang?

4. Aren’t Romans of Italian decent, yet he was still American/ odd borderline faux Brit crossover with regards to his accent. I don’t get your point? Gladiator is an entertaining film, but there is nothing authentic about it.
  • Igor_IskinIgor_Iskin Ufa, Russia
    Could the next James Bond be a Russian?
  • Igor_Iskin wrote: »

He couldn't screentest right now anyway. He's sick with Coronavirus. His name is Ivor Chestikov.
    Still loving these “skinny” comments. American, totally fair. Skinny? You guys think Bond 26 is coming out tomorrow?
    If it is, Luke Evans is definitely the man for the job.

He's still American,even if he looked like Sean Connery's clone.
    Igor_Iskin wrote: »

He couldn't screentest right now anyway. He's sick with Coronavirus. His name is Ivor Chestikov.

I’d love to see a Russian try a British accent!! Comedy gold.

This chap will be more SMERSH than MI6.

original.jpg?1519971501

That’s below average looking? I gotta go to New Orleans. They must have supermodels for men.
    Lol, I would go that far, but on a looks alone Phoenix , is unremarkable and definitely not Bond.

original.jpg?1519971501

Lol, I would go that far, but on a looks alone Phoenix , is unremarkable and definitely not Bond.

My point exactly.

But apparently I’m ‘tripping balls!’ 😳🤣😂
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    I don't see anything charming whatsoever in Phoenix on screen. Clearly a good actor, but even if we accepted him as good looking (he's an average looking man surely?) then he doesn't demonstrate charm on screen. He plays dysfunctional, pathetic, and seedy roles.

This is different to Cavill, Chalamet, or John Hamm etc, despite what you think of them as contenders and why you would rule them out for whatever other reason.

Phoenix is the most left field candidate I have seen on this thread, I think.

One thing that I think we can all agree on, although we all have personal biases, is that by looks alone won’t cut it. Based on looks alone .Clint Eastwood in his prime would have bee n perfect for the role ; but even Clint knew that Bond should be played by a Brit or at least someone with a direct connection to the Uk.
    Now, had Clint been born and raised in Edinburgh ;)
    You might enjoy The Eiger Sanction
    Since62 wrote: »
    You might enjoy The Eiger Sanction

I have...

Ever wonder why Clint, et al., did not make The Loo Sanction into a film ? He was not averse to sequels, after all. Reportedly: the author held the film in poor regard, and considered his book a spoof and was disappointed that it was not recognized as such. So, in writing The Loo Sanction, he amped the spoof factor. Personally, I did not recognize the spoof angle. Perhaps if I read it at a later age...However, the violence in The Loo Sanction was rather extreme. If that was intended to increase the spoof-iness, it did not have that effect for me, at least. The first killing described in the book was quite graphic and brutal, as I recall. (I hope I am not confusing the two books.) BTW he wrote The Loo Sanction in 1973 and The Eiger Sanction film was released in 1975, so it seems there may have been the opportunity for the film-makers to acquire screen rights to both books BEFORE Trevanian saw TES and found it disappointing. He also wrote another book, later, in the spy vein, called Shibumi. -- about different characters. Now, aspects of THAT one I found at the time may have been intentionally absurd.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Why EON doesn't have put all the screentest on youtube?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    MSL49 wrote: »

Lots of reasons I imagine. They wouldn’t want muddy the idea of Bond in peoples eyes by showing them everyone who tried out. They could publicly release any number of behind the scenes footage but no production company really does this; if they want to sell a collectors edition bluray or something down the road this kind of footage is more valuable if it isn’t publicly available.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 4,599
    Is one of the issues we have is the increasing gap between real life, popular culture and the World of James Bond ? If you look at movie stars from 50s to 70s, glamore, escapism and star appeal were are the core of the movie business. Sir Roger starred in The Saint and The Persuaders. So very close to the World of Bond. Even PB came from Remington Steel where these was an ellement of suave charm. If you look at the TV and movies currently being released, that whole element seems to have pretty much gone. So the "jump" we are asking actors to take is far greater IMHO and that makes it harder to cast such an iconic role.
    My guess -- most of them are groaners. Additionally -- the actors auditioning did not necessarily have their hair, etc. right for it, but it did not disqualify them since they were in or approaching other roles at the time. James Brolin ? Fine for other parts, but UGH. As we have learned from the better Indiana Jones films and their endings -- some things are supposed to remain in their place or locked away...

Lots of reasons I imagine. They wouldn’t want muddy the idea of Bond in peoples eyes by showing them everyone who tried out. They could publicly release any number of behind the scenes footage but no production company really does this; if they want to sell a collectors edition bluray or something down the road this kind of footage is more valuable if it isn’t publicly available.

I’d be interested in seeing John Gavin’s.

I’d hope it wouldn’t be as bad as James Brolin’s awful test, seeing as Gavin was actually signed!
    Agreed No knock on J Brolin -- just wrong for this part. Gavin suited it better -- he still came from the era of training actors for the Mid-Atlantic accent and to groom them from the start partly based on their appearance. What is distressing is not so much whether a given actor was tested, but that the producers actually considered certain actors at certain times ! What. were. they. thinking ??? I get that some of the time they were pressuring Connery or Moore in the course of negotiations. But did either Connery or Moore really believe the producers would go with (insert name of famous American successful for ENTIRELY different sorts of performances) ??? Was that really effective negotiation ?
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

I’d hope it wouldn’t be as bad as James Brolin’s awful test, seeing as Gavin was actually signed!

When he was tested and signed?
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131

1970/ 71 and paid in full for a role he never fulfilled, so Connery could return.

Here’s a crap screen test from a New Zealand chap. One word.....flat.

http://www.007magazine.co.uk/would_be_bond.htm
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Pretty standard list; people have been betting on Hardy for a long time. My pick from there would be Madden.
  • Jack Lowden from that list. I've been saying for ages I think he'll be cast anyway. Just a feeling in my bones. My ultimate nightmare of a choice would be Henry Cavill.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    I pick Aidan Turner on that list.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    Has producer's go back to actor's who have impressed they in the past with screentest's?
  • MSL49 wrote: »
    Has producer's go back to actor's who have impressed they in the past with screentest's?

I dont know about screentest but Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan were all looked at and/or in the running before they got the role.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 3,333

1970/ 71 and paid in full for a role he never fulfilled, so Connery could return.

I thought it was interesting that Roger Green quoted Broccoli as saying: “We are not so concerned with your acting ability, after all, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service made more money at the box office than any other film in 1970 – we are more interested in how athletic you are.”
    parkert5 wrote: »

I dont know about screentest but Moore, Dalton, and Brosnan were all looked at and/or in the running before they got the role.
    Roger Moore, yes. He was considered for TMWTGG before the producers decided to switch to OHMSS, but it didn't go so far as a screen test. Dalton turned down all advances, including the one in 1970 to replace Lazenby, so a screen test was never made. He also turned down the offer of a screen test in 1980 for FYEO. However, Brosnan did do a screen test for TLD, which was reenacting scenes from OHMSS.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,935

That's amazing, I've not seen that before, thanks.

Quite interesting that they're presumably working with an early version of the script too. Seems bizarre to put in mentions of Tracy/Teresa etc.

Quite funny to see a Bond film shot like an episode of The Saint! :D