Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    mtm wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    The idea that James Bond cannot be played by an American is a stupid as saying he cannot be played by a gay man.

As long as the character is portrayed as a British heterosexual then it doesn't matter.

I say this as someone who would prefer a British actor. But there is no logic behind it.

Back to this.

Name one male US actor that can portray an authentic British/ English/ Scottish accent?

I can name one only, John Lithgow.

Look at Downey Jr, Keane Reeves, Dick Van Dyke etc all terrible. Pantomime.

Well, this argument has come up before, and whenever anyone suggests a name you say that their British accent is terrible. So it can't actually be proven either way, can it.

Yes, there's no point. It's too easy to say 'no, that was rubbish'. I think there are a few, I remember probably the most impressive that comes to mind in recent years was when I watched that Strike Back thing on Sky One (don't judge me! :) ) :

That’s quite good actually.

That’s one American actor that can do it then. I agree with the example.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's a brilliant accent- I watched a couple of series of that and had no idea, I wondered why I hadn't seen him in anything else on UK TV and googled him and then found out he's American. Very well-observed as the sort of rugby playing guy who's in the armed forces.
    mtm wrote: »
    It's a brilliant accent- I watched a couple of series of that and had no idea, I wondered why I hadn't seen him in anything else on UK TV and googled him and then found out he's American. Very well-observed as the sort of rugby playing guy who's in the armed forces.

I was fooled, certainly.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yes, Winchester is a decent actor. I liked him as the ADA in Chicago PD and then in Law & Order SVU.

His parents are English I think, so that explains how he can do the accent well.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 679
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    How old Luke Evans is?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    MSL49 wrote: »
    How old Luke Evans is?

Too old I think, not sure exactly, but he’s still my #1 pick.
    Which scenes in Craig's films would be beyond Cavill?

All of them, I'm sorry to say. I know crew who have worked with him, and say he's a lovely and professional guy, but he really struggles to deliver and directors have to be patient with him, but he's got the looks and a certain charisma - and, as I say, people really like him as a person. I just don't think he could carry Bond beyond looking the part.

I'd rather have Chamalet than Cavill. Not that I want Chamalet. Cavill reeks of lazy, unimaginative fan casting. The kind of Bond-by-numbers that would push the series into obscurity. God, Craig is going to be so hard to replace.

Cavill is all that but at least he's British and not a skinny American. I agree with you about Craig.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    ColonelSun wrote: »

All of them, I'm sorry to say. I know crew who have worked with him, and say he's a lovely and professional guy, but he really struggles to deliver and directors have to be patient with him, but he's got the looks and a certain charisma - and, as I say, people really like him as a person. I just don't think he could carry Bond beyond looking the part.
    Exactly. You can almost always sense him thinking his lines prior to delivery .
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'd rather have Chamalet than Cavill. Not that I want Chamalet. Cavill reeks of lazy, unimaginative fan casting. The kind of Bond-by-numbers that would push the series into obscurity. God, Craig is going to be so hard to replace.

Cavill is all that but at least he's British and not a skinny American. I agree with you about Craig.

+1.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Exactly. You can almost always sense him thinking his lines prior to delivery .

Yes, I always have an awareness that he's doing some pretending rather than acting.
    Still loving these “skinny” comments. American, totally fair. Skinny? You guys think Bond 26 is coming out tomorrow?
    If it is, Luke Evans is definitely the man for the job.
    Still loving these “skinny” comments. American, totally fair. Skinny? You guys think Bond 26 is coming out tomorrow?
    If it is, Luke Evans is definitely the man for the job.

Luke Evans is the full package and a sensible suggestion.

Chamalet appears ‘little’ full stop. The screen/ camera is said to make one look bigger, so he must be tiny (height and frame).

That’s fair about his overall appearance if you feel that way.
    There was a recent photo of Evans that was very Bondian IMO that’s on my Instagram, but to move a photo from Instagram to this forum using my iPhone 5 seems too insurmountable a task right now.
    That’s fair about his overall appearance if you feel that way.
    There was a recent photo of Evans that was very Bondian IMO that’s on my Instagram, but to move a photo from Instagram to this forum using my iPhone 5 seems too insurmountable a task right now.

He deserves a screen test and is a great actor. I can see him as Bond.

But I don’t think Eon would give the role to an openly gay actor. I’m not agreeing with that, but that’s probably the case IMO.
    You could be right but I’d like to think they would. I don’t think it would be a problem for Barbara but I could be wrong.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    His age would be more a problem to EON than his sexuality.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131
    You could be right but I’d like to think they would. I don’t think it would be a problem for Barbara but I could be wrong.

I agree. But the other decision makers (straight men), will deem it a risk not worth taking.

It’s about minimising financial risk and maximising profit (in all Countries) to Board Members.
    Sad but true. Agree with @Denbigh as well.
    i say Fassbender get cast tomorrow start filming this summer!
    Great actor but too famous IMO.
    123185722_359582881958056_4991071136789028096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=MBgLuCrG3koAX93SA3E&_nc_ht=scontent.fcxh3-1.fna&oh=587572ff0ec10561f4b2fdfa4121d577&oe=5FBFF36D

Did it anyway.
    123185722_359582881958056_4991071136789028096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=MBgLuCrG3koAX93SA3E&_nc_ht=scontent.fcxh3-1.fna&oh=587572ff0ec10561f4b2fdfa4121d577&oe=5FBFF36D

Did it anyway.

My favourite candidate. It’s him, Turner or Hoult for me. Cool pic, that one.
    I'm glad we all agree on the most important thing, ie., who should/could play Bond. :P
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131

Did it anyway.

That suit and those shoes will be ruined!
    I'm sure Bond's ruined a suit or two in his tenure. ;)
    I'm glad we all agree on the most important thing, ie., who should/could play Bond. :P

True and interesting, I think that Hoult gathers more consensus here in the forums, then Evans and then maybe Turner, the latter being the one more members have reservations about, mainly regarding his star power and acting chops. Then there are the Cavill supporters, and I do understand those to a degree, and the fringe ones who propose some other interesting choices that just don’t gather as much consensus as the ones above. Wouldn’t you agree?
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I do. I just think we should be more accepting of the fringe suggestions that maybe aren't so conventional.
    For me, I prefer Evans to Hoult, but what Hoult lacks in 'look' for me, he certainly makes up for in age. And to use my own argument, if he were cast, in a few years he could really take shape.
    I think it's easy to see why people like Cavill in the role, but his acting would make him a disappointing choice. He looks good on a poster but that's it.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 88
    Univex wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    The idea that James Bond cannot be played by an American is a stupid as saying he cannot be played by a gay man.

As long as the character is portrayed as a British heterosexual then it doesn't matter.

I say this as someone who would prefer a British actor. But there is no logic behind it.

Back to this.

Name one male US actor that can portray an authentic British/ English/ Scottish accent?

I can name one only, John Lithgow.

Look at Downey Jr, Keane Reeves, Dick Van Dyke etc all terrible. Pantomime.

I'll even help you with this my friend :) John Lithgow was ridiculous in Cliffhanger, full on pantomime. And don't even get me started on his Churchill.

So there, I'm with you on this. Bond is an household product and should remain so. So should've, for example, Sherlock Holmes. And I'm a huge Holmes fan and a huge Downey Jr. fan. The only reason I like Ritchie's films is because Downey is so genius at what he does, and he has played Chaplin to a tee, that I forget his nationality. But this is very very rare in American actors. Just the other day I cringed endlessly while watching that lousy new version of Rebecca with Hammer being just, well, a hammer, a tool. Please keep Bond close to home, ok? Thank you.

But hey, if these guys do insist on an American playing Bond, I've said this times and times again, here's their candidate. An almost perfect match, wouldn't you say? ;)

4901564-699156-131026-wap-draper.jpg

Jon Hamm looks wise that is James Bond.