Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmf wrote: »
    I'd rather have Chamalet than Cavill. Not that I want Chamalet. Cavill reeks of lazy, unimaginative fan casting. The kind of Bond-by-numbers that would push the series into obscurity. God, Craig is going to be so hard to replace.

Wow. That is extreme.

You must really hate the Brosnan era?

Apart from GoldenEye, yes. Bond's journeyman era.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    talos7 wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Chalamet Is inappropriate for many reasons, he’s not British, and has the physique of a pre-pubescent boy being the most notable.

With that said ,with 10 years , or so , he would have a look that would suit Bond ; but as we know, the role is not based on looks alone.

But he’d still be American.

Gee, I wish that I had said that. ;)

Ha ha ha. Sorry, just can’t believe he’s a suggestion from Bond fans and not a newspaper etc.
    I'd rather have Chamalet than Cavill. Not that I want Chamalet. Cavill reeks of lazy, unimaginative fan casting. The kind of Bond-by-numbers that would push the series into obscurity. God, Craig is going to be so hard to replace.

Wow. That is extreme.

You must really hate the Brosnan era?

Apart from GoldenEye, yes. Bond's journeyman era.

I can’t argue with that sadly.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Chalamet Is inappropriate for many reasons, he’s not British, and has the physique of a pre-pubescent boy being the most notable.

With that said ,with 10 years , or so , he would have a look that would suit Bond ; but as we know, the role is not based on looks alone.

But he’d still be American.

Gee, I wish that I had said that. ;)

Ha ha ha. Sorry, just can’t believe he’s a suggestion from Bond fans and not a newspaper etc.

My feelings exactly. A very cheap newspaper at that.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If Chalamet were cast, it would make me appreciate what we had with Craig. Let that sink in for a moment.

You not a fan of Craig?

Nope, I am not. I was looking forward to seeing him as Bond when he was cast. But with the exception of bits of SP, his era just hasn't appealed to me. At least if they had gone with Cavill in CR, the way Bond is written in the film, would have made sense. More than casting some chap who is nearly 40, looking older than he was, and having Bond act so wet behind the years. Made all the worse by the fact that Craigs Bond was supposed to be former SBS!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If Chalamet were cast, it would make me appreciate what we had with Craig. Let that sink in for a moment.

You not a fan of Craig?

Nope, I am not. I was looking forward to seeing him as Bond when he was cast. But with the exception of bits of SP, his era just hasn't appealed to me. At least if they had gone with Cavill in CR, the way Bond is written in the film, would have made sense. More than casting some chap who is nearly 40, looking older than he was, and having Bond act so wet behind the years. Made all the worse by the fact that Craigs Bond was supposed to be former SBS!

Would Cavill's Bond not have been Special Forces then?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mtm wrote: »

You not a fan of Craig?

Without Cavill being cast in the film, and seeing an official bio for his Bond, I don't think we can say either way. Cavil woudl have been, what.. 22 or 24...? I guess he would still lack experience. Once Craig had been cast, the film should have undergone a re-write, while he was getting into shape.

You not a fan of Craig?

What are your thoughts on CR?

I think it’s the best Bond film since the 60’s. But interested to hear what you think of Craig’s performance in that film?
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    Why producer's have screentested American actor's for the role?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

You not a fan of Craig?

Without Cavill being cast in the film, and seeing an official bio for his Bond, I don't think we can say either way. Cavil woudl have been, what.. 22 or 24...? I guess he would still lack experience. Once Craig had been cast, the film should have undergone a re-write, while he was getting into shape.

Bond would still have to be an RN Commander. There can't be any such thing as a rookie double O: they're the best of the best.

You not a fan of Craig?

What are your thoughts on CR?

I think it’s the best Bond film since the 60’s. But interested to hear what you think of Craig’s performance in that film?

As it stands, I think he doesn't work in CR. If only they had re-written the film to take into acount that Craig wasn't a younger 20-something man. His best performance was actually in the PTS of SP. That's what i think. I remember seeing SP for the first time, and thinking to myself "Yes! Finally, now he is Bond." But after the PTS, his performance is all over the place, very inconsistent.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

You not a fan of Craig?

I'm interested to hear which parts of SP you liked Craig in?
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 15,818
    I imagine Chalemet is a decent actor and probably a nice guy.

However, I don't want a Bond who looks like he could easily get his ass kicked by someone like Truman-Lodge, Boris, Elvis, or Mrs. Bell (and her instructor).

Actually, I think the little kid Roger Moore pushes into the river could probably take Chalamet's Bond as well.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I think the point was that the next Bond isn't going to appear in B26 tomorrow. Chalamet isn't my first pick either, but I imagine he was put forward because he's an amazing actor and has a striking look. It is highly unlikely he would be cast first and foremost because he has a house in the United States, but the transformations a person can undergo physically in the time between now and B26 are basically limitless. In 7 or 8 years Chalamet could look completely different.
    In fact if they go with someone who looks like Bond "right now", it could be a mess when B26 comes out.

Like I said Chalamet isn't my first choice either, but I don't think the suggestion should be so derided given a realistic timeframe. It's rude. And if people don't put forward out-of-leftfield suggestions every once in awhile, we may as well just rename this thread "The Aidan Turner Appreciation Thread".
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    ToTheRight wrote: »

However, I don't want a Bond who looks like he could easily get his ass kicked by someone like Truman-Lodge, Boris, Elvis, or Mrs. Bell (and her instructor).

Actually, I think the little kid Roger Moore pushes into the river could probably take Chalamet's Bond as well.

Without repeating myself or looking like I am banging the drum for Chalamet as Bond (because I am not), if you watch him in The King you see him play a very different role - masculine, dangerous, and a cold blooded killer. He is also good in the action scenes, albeit if it is medieval combat rather than something Bond would be doing. It is his performance in The King that I think accounts for some of the Chalamet as Bond opinions.

edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131

Without repeating myself or looking like I am banging the drum for Chalamet as Bond (because I am not), if you watch him in The King you see him play a very different role - masculine, dangerous, and a cold blooded killer. He is also good in the action scenes, albeit if it is medieval combat rather than something Bond would be doing. It is his performance in The King that I think accounts for some of the Chalamet as Bond opinions.

I watched him in ‘The King’. It’s a good film and he comes across as ‘brave’. But he’s a total ‘fanny’ in the sword scenes though, he can barely lift the thing. But that’s the point as he’s a boy King becoming a man....but he doesn’t get there in this film (with regards to physical prowess).

He’s a decent actor in the film, but I see nothing in his performance that makes him a credible future ‘Bond‘ in this film.

Exactly. Most amusing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Like I said Chalamet isn't my first choice either, but I don't think the suggestion should be so derided given a realistic timeframe. It's rude. And if people don't put forward out-of-leftfield suggestions every once in awhile, we may as well just rename this thread "The Aidan Turner Appreciation Thread".

Falling on deaf ears I'm afraid.
    When Dalton was around Chalamet's age I might have questioned his suitability for Bond.
    Cubby saw the potential and luckily it paid off years later.

4c1f31bec80d1fc85164941f2ab90c91.jpg

Still, deep down I'm just not sold on the idea of an American Bond...unless it's Barry Nelson or John Gavin.
    If future producers were to cast an American as Bond, I really believe it would be an A lister like Robert Downey Jr or Chris Pine.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

I watched him in ‘The King’. It’s a good film and he comes across as ‘brave’. But he’s a total ‘fanny’ in the sword scenes though, he can barely lift the thing. But that’s the point as he’s a boy King becoming a man....but he doesn’t get there in this film (with regards to physical prowess).

He’s a decent actor in the film, but I see nothing in his performance that makes him a credible future ‘Bond‘ in this film.

I saw The King very much like a version of CR. He goes from that scrappy first fight to leading the charge in a battle and then ordering the slaughter of hundreds. Finally he kills in cold blood.

The point isn't that Chalamet is the finished article, but I am certain that if he was British people wouldn't rule him out so readily based on the performances.

Once again, only on the caveat that he takes the role in about ten years not now.

As someone who once looked like a Twink, but who then developed into an ugly granite faced rough looking bastard, I can speak from experience it is possible to go from being pretty into a more masculine appearance.

Anyway, he's not on my list due to being American. I wouldn't object if an American got the role as long, but why even think about them when there are so many Brits/Irish in the running?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    [/b]
    I think the point was that the next Bond isn't going to appear in B26 tomorrow. Chalamet isn't my first pick either, but I imagine he was put forward because he's an amazing actor and has a striking look. It is highly unlikely he would be cast first and foremost because he has a house in the United States, but the transformations a person can undergo physically in the time between now and B26 are basically limitless. In 7 or 8 years Chalamet could look completely different.
    In fact if they go with someone who looks like Bond "right now", it could be a mess when B26 comes out.
    Exactly! My favorite analogy is that of a traffic signal , it doesn’t have to be green when you’re a block, or two, away; it has to be green when you get to it. Particularly with younger actors , 5 years can make a tremendous difference.
    But he still won’t be British.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,526

As noted in my post.
    [/b]
    Exactly! My favorite analogy is that of a traffic signal , it doesn’t have to be green when you’re a block, or two, away; it has to be green when you get to it. Particularly with younger actors , 5 years can make a tremendous difference.

Perfectly apt.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Sigh... As several as us have acknowledged.
    Talking about a few years making a big difference for actor is a general observation, not aimed a a specific actor.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    When Dalton was around Chalamet's age I might have questioned his suitability for Bond.

Still, deep down I'm just not sold on the idea of an American Bond...unless it's Barry Nelson or John Gavin.
    If future producers were to cast an American as Bond, I really believe it would be an A lister like Robert Downey Jr or Chris Pine.

Dalton was always a good looking man. How old was he in '68 when he did The Lion in Winter? His face was already as handsome as a fox. Certainly better looking than Lazenby (and I do like George)...
    peter wrote: »

Dalton was always a good looking man. How old was he in '68 when he did The Lion in Winter? His face was already as handsome as a fox. Certainly better looking than Lazenby (and I do like George)...

+1 Very well said.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think he veers into odd-looking in that one at times even though he has the model's cheekbones: he certainly grew into his looks.

I believe he was about 22 in THE LION IN WINTER. Dashing as ever. Even a few years later in WUTHERING HEIGHTS he was starting to grow into his features. Must be those wolf like eyes.

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Who is EON's casting director?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Who is EON's casting director?
    Debbie McWilliams