Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Denbigh wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Who is EON's casting director?
    Debbie McWilliams

She suggested Rupert Friend last time around.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    What a great job that would be, it really would. Even to just be part of the team that puts a Bond cast together would be a fantastic thing to be involved in.
  • If Chalamet were cast, it would make me appreciate what we had with Craig. Let that sink in for a moment.

You not a fan of Craig?

Wow...you're not a fan of Craig? I suppose if you prescribe to the idea of Bond being the gentleman spy - in the same mould of Roger Moore or even David Niven - then I guess that DC wouldn't be your favourite.

FittingAcidicEuropeanpolecat-small.gif

DC added such reality and believability to the character. When I watch CR, I don't see 'Daniel Craig playing the same role that others before him did', (I get that with Brosnan). Instead I see James Bond (the person). He ridded the role of the self-knowing aspect. He made Bond a real character that we as an audience could invest in. He was more thoughtful, introspective and bruised. He was still macho, tough and suave. They didn't make him any less 'cool' - perhaps he was a bit less of a snob and not overly vain about his appearance (unlike Brosnan and more akin to Dalton). But I like that...Craig made Bond more dangerous and believable. This is the type of Bond I like....

bcbb52b0bcf142dc9b9625028658cf29.jpg
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    When Dalton was around Chalamet's age I might have questioned his suitability for Bond.
    Cubby saw the potential and luckily it paid off years later.

Still, deep down I'm just not sold on the idea of an American Bond...unless it's Barry Nelson or John Gavin.
    If future producers were to cast an American as Bond, I really believe it would be an A lister like Robert Downey Jr or Chris Pine.

Exactly...I'll admit that Chalamet looks young and skinny. But if he were to get the part or be seriously in the mix, he'd have to transform to some degree. It be incumbent on him to do so. Much in the same way that Alicia Vikander transformed to be Lara Croft, Ben Affleck to be Batman, Daniel Craig did in CR, etc.

Plus, Chalamet is interesting and a provocative choice. It would get legions of people excited and even those less happy would feel compelled to chip into the conversation. If someone predictable and dull like Henry Cavill got cast it would be greeted with a collective shrug.

ElcSe5pWoAIqw5r?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,526
    To be fair I'm not sure this was really anyone's idea of what James Bond looked like either:
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Certainly not Fleming. But I could be wrong. Honestly aside from his not being British as @suavejmf very reliably reminds us, I could easily see Chalamet as Bond in a decade, per your photo above @Pierce2Daniel. I think he has an edge that is critical.
    CHALAMET IS AMERICAN
    Let me amend my above post:
    "...as @suavejmf and @Univex very reliably remind us..."

I also wonder why the two of you seem to be the angriest with regards to this topic.

The point isn't that Chalamet could or should be Bond, it's that he as a suggestion is being disregarded for the wrong reasons.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Let me amend my above post:
    "...as @suavejmf and @Univex very reliably remind us..."

I also wonder why the two of you seem to be the angriest with regards to this topic.

The point isn't that Chalamet could or should be Bond, it's that he as a suggestion is being disregarded for the wrong reasons.

Thank you :-bd lol

But caps don't necessarily mean anger. I'm just tending to the myopic folk who see Bond in a scrawny American teenager. All for health's sake, you know, the guys who made the danger signs weren't angry ;)

Just realised that...you know... (D)anger. lol Caps and all.

1979.jpg-650.jpg

I actually find most suggestions funny. Black handsome actors, skinny stylish Americans, short stumpy hooligans,... The net has broadened and no one cares about the literary character and his depiction anymore. Which I've learned that it's fine, cause in this brave new world there are no facts, just opinions. And mine and everyone else's is valid no matter what. And that's the true democracy.

I'm being ironic, of course. But one has to, these days. Or one really gets angry.

I read the most inane opinions here, and I find it inane that I cannot criticise them for being inane. I know most people want forums to be like any other social media. But I was the impression they weren't, and that there were such things as wrongs and rights, and truths and lies, and facts and opinions. It's not my opinion that Bond is a certain way. Bond was well written and described and depicted within close parameters for the last half dozen decades. Wanna change that? Go ahead. I'll be off that train.

But this is a non angry, lucid person here. I love surrealist discussions. So please people. Chalamet has Bond. An American as Bond. Barry Nelson set the precedent, I believe. So, why not? :D

BarryNelsonBondCR1954.jpg

Why weren't you off the train when Craig boarded with is blonde hair? His hair is one of the close parameters that Bond has been written, described, and depicted with, so I'm curious as to why there are discrepancies between deviations you're fine with, and deviations that are absolute no-gos.
    For the record, as far as American actors versus British actors go, I agree with you and Mr. Suave; at the end of the day I think a British actor should play Bond.
    Also I don't think anyone has told you you can't criticize opinions that you view as inane, and I'm very sorry if you feel victimized in that way, especially by me, as that wasn't my intention.
    With regards to Chalamet, I don't think anyone here was suggesting that he should play Bond. The body is something that can be practically altered, as people can become more or less fit. Bale is a good example. Coming off of The Machinist, or Vice, no one would ever suggest him for Bond. But, if we're looking at purely physicality, after Bruce Wayne? The face, however, is something that is more or less set in stone, and I think people were remarking that he has a good, dark edge to the look of his face that might be appropriate for Bond.
    DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT, THROUGH THE ABOVE, SAYING CHALAMET SHOULD PLAY BOND. Just wanted to throw that in there, again, to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    And you do know that he’s not, and never can be British? ;)
    talos7 wrote: »
    And you do know that he’s not, and never can be British? ;)

Well that's not explicitly true, but I get your point in context. He wasn't born a British citizen, and didn't learn the accent before the age of 25.

All I'm saying I guess is that on the topic of "The Close Parameters on which James Bond is Written and Described and Depicted" there seems to be a list of parameters that matter, and parameters that don't, and the distinction between these lists seems arbitrary.
  • QsCatQsCat London
    Can we stop it with Chamalet please..
    QsCat wrote: »

Since we're so heart set on finding an American actor who isn't even remotely traditionally Bondian, but can break the mold and open new doors for Barbara, I say we need an established bad ass.

Here he is.......the new James Bond

11a479f74726a67dea000739e9cca89e.jpg

Why weren't you off the train when Craig boarded with is blonde hair? His hair is one of the close parameters that Bond has been written, described, and depicted with, so I'm curious as to why there are discrepancies between deviations you're fine with, and deviations that are absolute no-gos.
    For the record, as far as American actors versus British actors go, I agree with you and Mr. Suave; at the end of the day I think a British actor should play Bond.
    Also I don't think anyone has told you you can't criticize opinions that you view as inane, and I'm very sorry if you feel victimized in that way, especially by me, as that wasn't my intention.
    With regards to Chalamet, I don't think anyone here was suggesting that he should play Bond. The body is something that can be practically altered, as people can become more or less fit. Bale is a good example. Coming off of The Machinist, or Vice, no one would ever suggest him for Bond. But, if we're looking at purely physicality, after Bruce Wayne? The face, however, is something that is more or less set in stone, and I think people were remarking that he has a good, dark edge to the look of his face that might be appropriate for Bond.
    DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT, THROUGH THE ABOVE, SAYING CHALAMET SHOULD PLAY BOND. Just wanted to throw that in there, again, to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.

@NickTwentyTwo, my entire post was made in jest and in response to your "being angry" comment. No need to get upset up about it. I was having fun with some irony. Also, I think that hair or eye colour are small phenotypical details in comparison to race, gender or nationality. There are bigger parameters than others.

The Chalamet question is as ludicrous as the Elba question. We can spend time discussing it, but I don't see the point. The sky is blue, period. If it has clouds or not, and if that makes it white or grey doesn't take away the fact that it's blue and it doesn't open up the chance for it being green or purple. We can paint it green, and call that interpretation and artistic freedom, but it won't be an apt representation of the true sky.

And one other thing, people seem to mistake criticism and annoyance with playing the victim. I'm not victimising myself and I'm not angry. Some of us just don't like it when threads are hijacked by the social media pc all-is-valid crowd. That's all.
    Fair enough. The sky is not a good analogy as it’s a real thing and James Bond is fictional and therefore more open to artistic interpretation IMO. And with regards to this thread being “hijacked by the social media pc all is valid crowd”, I think you’re battling against a group of people that don’t exist. No one has ever said that absolutely all is valid. From my perspective, people are presenting their opinions in this thread and getting absolutely blasted for it, which makes for a pretty shitty thread. But that’s just my opinion, and I certainly don’t need to be participating here, I just don’t like the vitriol being thrown towards the opinions of other members.
    But seriously, no hard feelings @Univez or anyone else. The floor is yours.
    Joaquin Phoenix is also American. You can’t tell me Phoenix wouldn’t be utterly amazing as Bond.

Joaquin Phoenix is also American. You can’t tell me Phoenix wouldn’t be utterly amazing as Bond.

He would not be an amazing Bond.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He'd be an amazing Bond villain though.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131
    talos7 wrote: »

He would not be an amazing Bond.

Exactly. One, he’s a midget and two, he’s not ‘leading man’ material in the traditional sense. He looks like an ‘Everyman.’

The above assumes he could pull off the accent as well. Otherwise that’s reason three.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,978
    Fair enough. The sky is not a good analogy as it’s a real thing and James Bond is fictional and therefore more open to artistic interpretation IMO. And with regards to this thread being “hijacked by the social media pc all is valid crowd”, I think you’re battling against a group of people that don’t exist. No one has ever said that absolutely all is valid. From my perspective, people are presenting their opinions in this thread and getting absolutely blasted for it, which makes for a pretty shitty thread. But that’s just my opinion, and I certainly don’t need to be participating here, I just don’t like the vitriol being thrown towards the opinions of other members.
    But seriously, no hard feelings @Univez or anyone else. The floor is yours.

Yes I’m with you there: disagreeing with someone is one thing, rudeness is another. But I got bullied and told what an awful person I am last time I suggested that, so best to leave the bullies to it.

The idea that there is a list of characteristics of a literary character which are ordered in terms of importance to an adaptation, and that order is matter of personal preference or opinion which is somehow not up for debate, is such a self-evidently anti-art standpoint. Apparently there’s only one way to interpret art and it’s in the hands of those who shout the loudest.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    QsCat wrote: »

Since we're so heart set on finding an American actor who isn't even remotely traditionally Bondian, but can break the mold and open new doors for Barbara, I say we need an established bad ass.

Here he is.......the new James Bond

11a479f74726a67dea000739e9cca89e.jpg

I’d take him over Chamalet.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 737
    The idea that James Bond cannot be played by an American is a stupid as saying he cannot be played by a gay man.

As long as the character is portrayed as a British heterosexual then it doesn't matter.

I say this as someone who would prefer a British actor. But there is no logic behind it.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I get it, as so many American actors in the past have turned affecting an English accent into an opportunity to caricature the 'stuffy upper-class Brit'; however I have seen several performances from American actors who've done a really good job - Alessandro Nivola does, imo, an excellent English accent (probably helped by the fact he's married to English actress Emily Mortimer ).

I also get being a bit possessive over the role, but these days with Hollywood being more open to British actors than ever before, I do think it is difficult to justify without sounding jingoistic.

I would prefer a British actor for the role, of course, or at least an actor who's made Britain his home for a decent length of time.
    I always though Richard Gere could of played a good Bond in the 90’s actually if you watch The Jackel as an else world bond film with Gere as 007 and Bruce Willis as Blofeld it kind of works
    I'd rather have an actor play Bond who's accent is their own. Often times an attempt at an English accent elicits laughs. Keanu Reeves to this day still gets flack for his accent in the Coppola DRACULA.

That said perhaps if Eon sells, the new producers will see fit to change Bond's nationality altogether. Card Sense Jimmy Bond could make a return. Perhaps Bond could be a Texan just like his good buddy Felix?

If that ends up the case............I hereby present the new James Bond.....

7332b6da-9019-415e-a4b9-528bca2a6888.jpg?w=800&auto=format%2Ccompress&cs=srgb&q=70&fit=crop&crop=faces
    The idea that James Bond cannot be played by an American is a stupid as saying he cannot be played by a gay man.

As long as the character is portrayed as a British heterosexual then it doesn't matter.

I say this as someone who would prefer a British actor. But there is no logic behind it.

Back to this.

Name one male US actor that can portray an authentic British/ English/ Scottish accent?

I can name one only, John Lithgow.

Look at Downey Jr, Keane Reeves, Dick Van Dyke etc all terrible. Pantomime.

• edited October 2020 Posts: 6,677
    suavejmf wrote: »

Back to this.

Name one male US actor that can portray an authentic British/ English/ Scottish accent?

I'll even help you with this my friend :) John Lithgow was ridiculous in Cliffhanger, full on pantomime. And don't even get me started on his Churchill.

So there, I'm with you on this. Bond is an household product and should remain so. So should've, for example, Sherlock Holmes. And I'm a huge Holmes fan and a huge Downey Jr. fan. The only reason I like Ritchie's films is because Downey is so genius at what he does, and he has played Chaplin to a tee, that I forget his nationality. But this is very very rare in American actors. Just the other day I cringed endlessly while watching that lousy new version of Rebecca with Hammer being just, well, a hammer, a tool. Please keep Bond close to home, ok? Thank you.

But hey, if these guys do insist on an American playing Bond, I've said this times and times again, here's their candidate. An almost perfect match, wouldn't you say? ;)

4901564-699156-131026-wap-draper.jpg
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

Back to this.

Well, this argument has come up before, and whenever anyone suggests a name you say that their British accent is terrible. So it can't actually be proven either way, can it.

Chalamet in The King, for example, is pretty flawless. You will no doubt say otherwise. But for me it is. It is a particular kind of English accent and aimed at a particular genre (historical epic with Shakespearean pretensions), but there is nothing to suggest his accent isn't authentic sounding.

There is nothing from what I recall in Sherlock Holmes that makes Downey Jr's accent stand out. he sounds like a movie star delivering movie star lines, but to say it's like Van Dyke's accent is just wrong imo.

Anyway - the Spinal Tap boys would count as three with perfect English accents. Surely everyone agrees on that? So it is not like it is unheard of.

Back to this.

I’ve been told by several British friends that Jonathan Hillerman was convincing, and he was from Texas!
    I do agree, most are painfully bad.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

Back to this.

Well, this argument has come up before, and whenever anyone suggests a name you say that their British accent is terrible. So it can't actually be proven either way, can it.

Yes, there's no point. It's too easy to say 'no, that was rubbish'. I think there are a few, I remember probably the most impressive that comes to mind in recent years was when I watched that Strike Back thing on Sky One (don't judge me! :) ) :

Back to this.

Chalamet in The King, for example, is pretty flawless. You will no doubt say otherwise. But for me it is. It is a particular kind of English accent and aimed at a particular genre (historical epic with Shakespearean pretensions), but there is nothing to suggest his accent isn't authentic sounding.

There is nothing from what I recall in Sherlock Holmes that makes Downey Jr's accent stand out. he sounds like a movie star delivering movie star lines, but to say it's like Van Dyke's accent is just wrong imo.

Anyway - the Spinal Tap boys would count as three with perfect English accents. Surely everyone agrees on that? So it is not like it is unheard of.

With regards to Chamalet....It’s ok as you say. Flawless....no.

But his physical attitudes, facial appearance and stature make him unsuitable.

Downey Jr....no. Rubbish. A passable ‘impression’. Certainly an American putting it on though.