Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,991
    Cavill could play the scene in CR where he gets tortured just as well as Craig.

To use your logic: he hasn't done that though so you can't possibly know that ;) "Cavill has not been in that film".
    Had Cavill been cast in 2005 the argument could easily be reversed.

Not so easily. Craig was already an award-winning movie actor years before that. And he didn't get cast because Craig was better.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »
    I like Cavill, but he doesn’t hold a candle to Craig as an actor

Possibly. But he could play James Bond just as well.
    Well I respectfully, strongly disagree.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    The idea that only the great Daniel Craig could have possibly projected the kind of incredibly complex and layered emotions of the last four Bond films is ludicrous.

This isn't because Craig is a limited actor, because he isn't...it is because the series from CR to SP simply aren't the incredibly complex and layered films that some people seem to think they are. They are actually quite shallow pieces of work, that seem to be operating on the belief they are more intelligent than they actually are.

And someone like Cavill could have done it just as well. Note the 'someone like'. I am not pushing for Cavill to take over. There are better options. Hoult would be my choice, as stated multiple times.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,991
    The idea that only the great Daniel Craig could have possibly projected the kind of incredibly complex and layered emotions of the last four Bond films is ludicrous.

Nobody said that. It was your initial hypothesis that Cavill types could have played it as well, which you have now developed into an argument with yourself about nobody but Craig doing it.
    And someone like Cavill could have done it just as well.

You can't know that as neither he, nor anyone else other than Craig, were playing Bond in those films ;)
    Again, you've argued against your own standpoints.
    Note the 'someone like'. I am not pushing for Cavill to take over. There are better options. Hoult would be my choice, as stated multiple times.

Personally I'd say Hoult is a better actor.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ugh... guys: start your own Craig is not Bond thread. Then you can be in your own echo chamber.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    peter wrote: »
    Ugh... guys: start your own Craig is not Bond thread. Then you can be in your own echo chamber.

Sure.

We're talking about who could be a Bond actor. Or is the thread just supposed to be a list of names?
  • peterpeter Toronto

We're talking about who could be a Bond actor. Or is the thread just supposed to be a list of names?

You’re not doing that, mate. And you know that too.

Just start your own thread— Craig NOT Bond. A nice echo chamber. Enjoy.

😂
    I was responding to the idea that Craig cannot be replaced with Cavill. It's a discussion about who can be Bond.

That's what I know.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You have made your remarks clear on Craig. Start a new thread: echo chamber of only people who agree with you. Then you can bask in that.

and Cavill is taking a step backwards from the (as you said), “over rated” Craig.

And EoN won’t be taking that step backwards.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 554
    I have to say @FatherValentine and @mtm, I've seen some great vitriolic comedy duos, but you two really take the cake >:D<

Yous are more entertaining to me than Spectre ever was!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't want to discuss with people who agree with me. If you don't like what is being written, why don't you go to another thread?

What step will EoN take, in your opinion?
    I have to say @FatherValentine and @mtm, I've seen some great vitriolic comedy duos, but you two really take the cake ;)

I am disappointed if you think I have made vitriolic remarks to other members of the site. I don't think I have accused anyone of anything, or been vitriolic. I don't use mocking emojis for example.

If I have been vitriolic to anyone I apologise.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I have to say @FatherValentine and @mtm, I've seen some great vitriolic comedy duos, but you two really take the cake ;)

I am disappointed if you think I have made vitriolic remarks to other members of the site. I don't think I have accused anyone of anything, or been vitriolic. I don't use mocking emojis for example.

No I haven’t taken it that way at all, I hope you haven’t with my replies to you either.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland

Ah, I'm sorry. 'Twas just a figure of speech on my end.
    Fair enough. No worries.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don't want to discuss with people who agree with me. If you don't like what is being written, why don't you go to another thread?

What step will EoN take, in your opinion?

@FatherValentine .... they are not close to casting the new James Bond. But if I had to guess, the actor is not necessarily on anyone’s radar. If he is, then likely on the periphery.

Whether you like it or not, Barbara and Craig have upped the bar. To go back to simple and safe, I’m guessing, will not happen.

Gregg is likely to take over from Mike with Ms. Broccoli as lead producer. They won’t want to take steps back on the work they have done.

To quote another Bond “expect the unexpected “.
    Why is simple and safe a bad thing? Every now and then a lighter break from the norm is a good thing. To keep things gritty and bleak can't sustain the franchise forever. In fact for someone like me that used to enjoy Craig, I find it boring and tiresome now. I wouldn't mind a return to some good old blockbuster fun for Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Murdock wrote: »
    Why is simple and safe a bad thing? Every now and then a lighter break from the norm is a good thing. To keep things gritty and bleak can't sustain the franchise forever. In fact for someone like me that used to enjoy Craig, I find it boring and tiresome now. I wouldn't mind a return to some good old blockbuster fun for Bond.

I don’t entirely disagree, but I think even for that you need a good movie star. Roger was very talented at what he did: not a lot of actors would be able to be at the centre of the films he starred in and still be a charismatic lead. The new one doesn’t have to be gritty, but he does still need to be really good.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Murdock ; I’m not saying that “safe” is a bad thing.

I’m not saying that the future films won’t get “lighter”.

What I’m guessing from the little first hand that I get, is that the talent moving forward will be of a more elite level then a Cavill type Bond can deliver.

They won’t hire journey-men for the foreseeable future ...
    edited October 2020 Posts: 16,333
    @Murdock ; I’m not saying that “safe” is a bad thing.

I’m not saying that the future films won’t get “lighter”.

What I’m guessing from the little first hand that I get, is that the talent moving forward will be of a more elite level then a Cavill type Bond can deliver.

They won’t hire journey-men for the foreseeable future ...

I don't get what the problem with Cavill as Bond would be. He's handsome and has good charisma and confidence. He might not be the actor Craig is but he doesn't have to be. Bond doesn't need to be played by a masterclass thespian every time.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Murdock ... EoN has established a pedigree. They wont move backwards on this (after all, better talent resulted in better box office). The next actor may be lighter, but the caliber of his talent will be higher than what a limited actor could bring to the table.
    Some pedigree... :|
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Murdock ... I can’t say much to that. It must suck you’ve lived through the Craig Era. Personally he’s my fave, next to Conney. But I wasn’t too enamoured by the previous era, so these things come and go.
    In the end, I always considered myself a Bond fan through good and bad.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 16,333
    @Murdock ... I can’t say much to that. It must suck you’ve lived through the Craig Era. Personally he’s my fave, next to Conney. But I wasn’t too enamoured by the previous era, so these things come and go.

It wasn't all bad. As I mentioned previously, I used to really enjoy Craig's run but my enjoyment has waned in the last few years. Not solely because of him but various reasons. Personally I'd like a return to the classic formula. Unfortunately I don't see that happening for a very very very long time now. I'm still a Bond fan, but the future of Bond doesn't seem very bright to me if things continue as they are.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Murdock this incredible franchise has a way of always surprising.

suavejmf wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Cavill is the only one I'm rooting for to be the next Bond. Everyone else mentioned makes me scratch my head.

ODHN5D0l.jpg

I like Cavill he is in my top 5 along with Hardy Hiddleston Fassbender and either Hemsworth or Murphy depending on what day of the week it is

Like o have said multiple times I am sadly the stereotypical blockbuster American so your British play stars have passed me by and the only time I watch historical dramas take place in the 1960’s and are of my wife’s choosing (she loves the psychedelic era I do too)

That made me laugh mate!! ‘Blockbuster American!’ Ha ha ha.

Is Brosnan your favourite Bond by any chance?

No Craig and Dalton honestly
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,131
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Craig made Bond dangerous and believable after his predecessor had turned the character into a cartoon character with all the depth of a piece of cardboard.

Casting some plank of wood like Henry Cavill would be a backwards step and despite some fans willing it, thankfully Barbara won't be looking at him for the role.

Seriously you really think after casting DC she is going to go for someone like Cavill?

Bond might go more lighter but casting second rate actors after someone the calibre of DC, you lot are having a laugh.

I hope your right.

Craig also has a great voice and accent that is perfect for the role. Perfect ‘Received Pronunciation.’
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

My thoughts exactly.