Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

w2bond wrote: »
    I don't get the dislike for the Afghanistan sequences. It's a good change from the good vs bad big climatic battles of particularly the Gilbert films. And more importantly it's more interesting than many finales. I don't hold any future world events against the sequence or movie either

The Afghanistan section is my favorite in the film. I love all those scenes!
    Considering that both the US and GB considered the Mujahedin to be an ally at the time, I don't understand why Bond should get so much flack for doing the same...
    Have to say I love that final confrontation with Whitaker. Its well executed, and i dont go along with the general consensus thst he is a weak villain. And the Afghanistan sequences is excellent too. If i had a quibble it would be that Koskov should have been killed with head on collision with the plane, it would have been a spectacular death. I felt he was shoehorned into that final sequence!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    If i had a quibble it would be that Koskov should have been killed with head on collision with the plane, it would have been a spectacular death.

That would have made that segment almost worth it.

It certainly would've made the whole sequence better. I've been torn over the years in regards to that finale but the last few years have me feeling rather underwhelmed and unimpressed with it. It has its moments but a lot stands out - Koskov surviving, Kara leading the charge, some of the overall goofiness that takes place. I do love that net fight, however.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    TLD.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Have to say I love that final confrontation with Whitaker. Its well executed, and i dont go along with the general consensus thst he is a weak villain. And the Afghanistan sequences is excellent too. If i had a quibble it would be that Koskov should have been killed with head on collision with the plane, it would have been a spectacular death. I felt he was shoehorned into that final sequence!

I must admit, the first time i saw TLD, when the plane hit Koskov's jeep and it was engulfed in a massive fireball i thought that was it for him. When we got that close up of him i was like "NO WAY!!!!" :))

I must admit, the first time i saw TLD, when the plane hit Koskov's jeep and it was engulfed in a massive fireball i thought that was it for him. When we got that close up of him i was like "NO WAY!!!!" :))

Yeh, its a really cool sequence, when Bond pulls the plane up just in time and the it meets Koskov head on! Should have been his death scene.
    TND tried doing the same scene in the pts, but it was poorly executed!

Yeh, its a really cool sequence, when Bond pulls the plane up just in time and the it meets Koskov head on! Should have been his death scene.

The John Glen era had some of the best action IMO.

Very much agree, mate!

Very much agree, mate!

But not hand-to-hand. The Green Four/Necros battle being the only worthy contender through his tenure.

The Octopussy yo yo fight was pretty good... 😏
    I can't get into it. To be fair, aside from a couple of cool train and elevator fights, the '70s weren't so great either in that regard.

Oh the 60's films were definitely the best for fisticuffs

Very much agree, mate!

But not hand-to-hand. The Green Four/Necros battle being the only worthy contender through his tenure.

Ok, i give you that one, but to be fair he was saddled with poor Rog, who was never convincing in a fight! Dalton only had that bar room brawl in LTK, which was straight out of a B movie! Did hope he and Dario were going to have a rematch by the end of LTK, buf it didnt happen. But the rest of the action in it was top drawer so no biggie!

Very much agree, mate!

Ok, i give you that one, but to be fair he was saddled with poor Rog, who was never convincing in a fight! Dalton only had that bar room brawl in LTK, which was straight out of a B movie! Did hope he and Dario were going to have a rematch by the end of LTK, buf it didnt happen. But the rest of the action in it was top drawer so no biggie!

Was gonna say the same thing. No director could make Sir Roger (RIP) convincing in a fight scene.
    Always though that Kara should have killed Koskov.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    jobo wrote: »

Very much agree, mate!

Was gonna say the same thing. No director could make Sir Roger (RIP) convincing in a fight scene.

I think Hamilton did the best out of the three on that front, although he did have the advantage of getting Sir Roger at his youngest. The editing of his fight scenes in OP is excellent however and is a big part of the lasting appeal of that film, in my opinion of course. Especially when you compare it to AVTAK two years later. What happened?
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Would go along with this!
    Rather like Domino with Largo!
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Would go along with this!
    Rather like Domino with Largo!

She definetly deserved to give him some payback for what he did to her ( Or tried to do ).

Shes not even present when Koskov is hauled away by Pushkin and his men.
    pachazo wrote: »

I think Hamilton did the best out of the three on that front, although he did have the advantage of getting Sir Roger at his youngest.

Definitely. The Tee Tee train fight and the fight in Saida's dressing room were actually fairly strong.

But the fight choreography looked very obvious!
    I remember someone asking Connery why his fight scenes looked better, and he said Rogers were very carefully choreographed, whereas he just went in swinging and didnt mind if a stuntman got hit ("Thats what they're paid for!")
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    If it stopped when they land in Afghanistan and picked up again with the Wade/Bond shoot out it would be a Top Ten for me.

I have some sympathy with @Birdleson here. Though TLD is never in danger of leaving my top ten, the Afghan sequences do tend to drag a bit. It's a problem in all action films, not just Bond films. Action for action sakes doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid. Like all of Glen's output, the action is well staged and inventive, but I feel it could have been edited a mite tighter.

It's a bit like the TB underwater finale, sure it's spectacular, but it doesn't hold up to repeat viewings.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The small bit of suspense with Bond hiding in the truck with the sack bomb helps get me through that scene.
    The other day I watched AVTAK after not having seen a Bond film in 10 and a half months, and I thought the film moved really fast.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It's odd but I do not like the fire truck chase at all due to some of the slapstick that goes on with it. Just doesn't feel like I'm watching a Bond film at all here. However, I love the Vegas car chase in DAF which to me is two sides of the same coin.
    Rewatched QoS last night for the millionth time. Haven't seen a Bond film in many months and this one hit the spot, been on my mind for a while now. Just about perfect in every way to me, an underrated masterpiece. I love it so much.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Rewatched QoS last night for the millionth time. Haven't seen a Bond film in many months and this one hit the spot, been on my mind for a while now. Just about perfect in every way to me, an underrated masterpiece. I love it so much.

It is a gem. Its definitely my most watched Craig Bond movie.....but its still slightly behind CR as best.
    (Which I plan to watch this Bank Holiday weekend here in Ireland, i need cheering as we have gone into lockdown here again for 6 weeks!!!!)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

It is a gem. Its definitely my most watched Craig Bond movie.....but its still slightly behind CR as best.
    (Which I plan to watch this Bank Holiday weekend here in Ireland, i need cheering as we have gone into lockdown here again for 6 weeks!!!!)

It will never be done but QoS would benefit from a “ Director’s cut” or re-edit.

It was the same way for me for many years, but the last five or so have me selecting it as my favorite of the era each and every time. CR is still excellent, however, a classic.
    CR last weekend.Still an excellent film even though im not much of a Craig fan.His era really peaked with this film and while its one of the best its amazing how his next film ( QOS ) ended up being one of the worst.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think Lazenby's, Dalton's, Brosnan's and Craig's first one's were their best.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited October 2020 Posts: 7,889
    Lazenby’s last was as great as his first. 😏
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    talos7 wrote: »
    Lazenby’s last was as great as his first. 😏

Why he didn't make second one? What was the main reason?