No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
    antovolk wrote: »

Is it possible to save the full article as a PDF and upload somewhere?

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    =D>
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 554
    Stark wrote: »
    But be careful Barbara also said Spectre is "phenomenal" during the Spectre promo.
    To be fair, it's not like she's going to say 'it's awful, don't go see it' or 'well, it could've been better...'
    Regal Cinemas are going out of business here in the US and AMC is struggling to hang on. I dont even know if will have movie theaters here come 2021.
    Managed to find the PDF https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5jt358yckf2wuq/Director Cary Joji Fukunaga On Directing the Delayed James Bond Film ‘No Time to Die’ - WSJ.pdf?dl=0

Some very interesting considerations
    - However, with the opening scene, Fukunaga bucks tradition in every way: It’s slow-paced, visually arresting, subtitled with dialogue in French and entirely
    Bond-free. Focusing instead on Madeleine’s backstory, the opening is a terrifying episode from her childhood in which Safin, wearing a Japanese Noh mask, kills her mother, pursues Madeleine through the home and hunts her down on a frozen lake. “Some clown chasing a child around the house,” Fukunaga says with a laugh. “Yeah, it’s like I brought back It in the first five minutes of Bond.”

- Several hot rumored plot points have made their rounds online during Covid-19: Bond is a father! (“I’ve heard those rumors. I can’t confirm or deny anything.”) Bond saves the world from a biological weapon and global pandemic! (“I can’t comment on that either.”)

- This story has been updated to reflect more accurate information about No Time To Die after its release date was pushed until 2021.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Thanks for that; looks like a good read! Although it might venture into slightly too much info for me!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Thanks for sharing. This line jumped out at me, so great to read this:

"What I think he's achieved - which is wonderful and a dream of mine - is to make it into a thriller," Craig says.
    Article/interview with Cary Fukanaga, saved as PDF in case dropbox goes down

https://docdro.id/NeixltB
    All right, I know it is supposed to be spoiler-free here but I'm coming right out with it. The kid is Safin. He's got these weird genetic experiments going on, and with one of them he can change his appearance. But it takes its toll, so he gets scarred when he changes back. There. That's it. That's why anyone who sees the video doesn't trust that kid. As for the masks, Safin and Swann, much earlier, appeared together in a local dinner theater production of Phantom of the Opera which featured some twists, like giving the Angel of Music a mask, too. It got rave reviews, as did the grilled salmon and the apple pie. The scene on the ice ? Big disagreement over who's got rights to go ice fishing on that lake. Someone's underwater ? Yup. HARDCORE ice fishers go spearfishing. Gotta be quick, though, and ya gotta remember where to come back up.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    So you're not absolutely ruling out
    time travel.
    Since62 wrote: »
    All right, I know it is supposed to be spoiler-free here but I'm coming right out with it. The kid is Safin. He's got these weird genetic experiments going on, and with one of them he can change his appearance. But it takes its toll, so he gets scarred when he changes back. There. That's it. That's why anyone who sees the video doesn't trust that kid. As for the masks, Safin and Swann, much earlier, appeared together in a local dinner theater production of Phantom of the Opera which featured some twists, like giving the Angel of Music a mask, too. It got rave reviews, as did the grilled salmon and the apple pie. The scene on the ice ? Big disagreement over who's got rights to go ice fishing on that lake. Someone's underwater ? Yup. HARDCORE ice fishers go spearfishing. Gotta be quick, though, and ya gotta remember where to come back up.

Are you drunk?

and "The kid is Safin". What kid??

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Great interview.
    @RichardtheBruce thanks for being able to recognize a joke -- however weak my "joke" may have been-- when you see one. Surely, it was AWFULLY obvious, no ? @Contraband -- Again, a joke...weak as it may have been. Didn't the dinner theater and ice fishing comments make that even more obvious ? As for the rest, a reference to things shown on other pages. A minor spoiler, at most if at all ? from video released by the producers...I supposed I'll come up with some sort of "Joke Warning" rather than "Spoiler Alert."
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Pretty over the top, @Since62. I joke about time travel, but I think BOND 26 is the earliest they could use
    my Zombie Bond idea. And it is my idea.
    Stark wrote: »
    But be careful Barbara also said Spectre is "phenomenal" during the Spectre promo.

I know, I always take these interviews with a large pinch of salt. The director of QoS also made similar encouraging noises before the films release, as did the director of DAD, and every other Bond film before that too.

I'd have been more impressed to have read the director stating he wanted to return to the books, and that was the main effort made during the production, like John Glen did before TLD or LTK.

With all talk of another psychological thriller, focusing again on Bond being an orphan, etc. didn't exactly make me leap for joy reading that interview. If anything it left me a bit cold, as it was a reminder of all that was wrong with the Craig era (and particularly under Mendes).

Still, I'll reserve judgement until I see the film.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I know someone on here already mentioned this, but I rewatched the music video & I’m wondering if maybe Safin does commit suicide, judging by Bond’s reaction.

The brief scene they show takes place in the same room where Bond is kneeling before Safin. But his face in the music video is of clear frustration before he turns around to find Madeline behind him.

So either Safin kills himself, or he somehow escapes that room before Bond shoots the guards.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Regal Cinemas are going out of business here in the US and AMC is struggling to hang on. I dont even know if will have movie theaters here come 2021.

This was my #1 concern about delaying to spring.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 65
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I know someone on here already mentioned this, but I rewatched the music video & I’m wondering if maybe Safin does commit suicide, judging by Bond’s reaction.

The brief scene they show takes place in the same room where Bond is kneeling before Safin. But his face in the music video is of clear frustration before he turns around to find Madeline behind him.

So either Safin kills himself, or he somehow escapes that room before Bond shoots the guards.

This is exactly what I suggested. It’s written all over Bond’s face - says it all really (that and there might also be a ticking cloak to get out of there. Plus Safin does say “my skills will survive long after I’m gone” like it’s a foregone clonclusion that he’s decided on.
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base

This is exactly what I suggested. It’s written all over Bond’s face - says it all really (that and there might also be a ticking cloak to get out of there. Plus Safin does say “my skills will survive long after I’m gone” like it’s a foregone clonclusion that he’s decided on.

First thing I noticed when I scrubbed through the music video. For 1 frame you can see him scowling down at something before turning behind when he hears Madeleine.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited October 2020 Posts: 972
    Seeing as we won't be seeing anything new from the movie till around February or March of next year, I'm hoping for someone to compile all the clips we have seen thus far be it from the trailers, tv spots, music video etc, arrange it in order and we'll probably get a few minutes of a mini NTTD movie :))
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    imranbecks wrote: »
    Seeing as we won't be seeing anything new from the movie till around February or March of next year, I'm hoping for someone to compile all the clips we have seen thus far be it from the trailers, tv spots, music video etc, arrange it in order and we'll probably get a few minutes of a mini NTTD movie :))

Someone already has!
  • TripAces wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »

This was my #1 concern about delaying to spring.

"Well then," to quote M, "we're all buggered."

To put it another way, this is how I would game it out if I'm EON. We delay to April. By then, there are two possibilities. Things have recovered enough for us to go for a traditional wide release and count on solid box office. In which case . . . hooray! Or #2, by April nothing has got better, theatres have shuttered and the movie business needs to rebuild itself from the ground up.

If the latter, "we're all buggered anyway." It will be a complete rethink, we'll get together with other studio heads and maybe talk about buying some cinemas, or bargain collectively with the streaming services to come up with some innovative way to doing online releases, or something, but . . . it's all bets off by then.

It's a risky gambit, but the upside is high.

Exactly. But, then again, we have those pictures of Safin aiming a hand gun, and there’s also the one of him pointing it at someone in his garden with his hair looking a little disheveled. So I’m hoping there is a real tense final confrontation between him & Bond, and he doesn’t just off himself.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 3,018

Exactly. But, then again, we have those pictures of Safin aiming a hand gun, and there’s also the one of him pointing it at someone in his garden with his hair looking a little disheveled. So I’m hoping there is a real tense final confrontation between him & Bond, and he doesn’t just off himself.

Could there be clones of Safin in the plot? Or is just some deadly virus thing?

Let's say Bond kills Safin in that chamber, only to be confronted with the real Safin in the garden or elsewhere
    Contraband wrote: »

Let's say Bond kills Safin in that chamber, only to be confronted with the real Safin in the garden or elsewhere

Ehh, I hope that’s not the case. Sounds too outlandish for a Craig-Bond film.

Yeah I'm just spitballing. Just a wild thought...

I’m still trying to process certain things regarding Safin. The scarring on his face for example, how old he was when he first attacks Madeline, etc. So much is still unknown despite everything we’ve learned.

Do we know how old Madeline is meant to be when she’s being chased across the lake in Norway?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    imranbecks wrote: »

Someone already has!

Good job.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 3,018

I’m still trying to process certain things regarding Safin. The scarring on his face for example, how old he was when he first attacks Madeline, etc. So much is still unknown despite everything we’ve learned.

Do we know how old Madeline is meant to be when she’s being chased across the lake in Norway?

She's 13

Safin's scars might be side effects from taking the life longing drugs he's working on or something similar