Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited October 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Risico007 wrote: »

If you can’t see bond in this clip I don’t know what to say

I like his acting, I like his voice, I like his swagger, but to me, he isn't James Bond. But I'm sure he'd prove me wrong. So would Cillian Murphy, I'm sure.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 2020 Posts: 8,484
    Univex wrote: »

I like his acting, I like his voice, I like his swagger, but to me, he isn't James Bond. But I'm sure he'd prove me wrong. So would Cillian Murphy, I'm sure.

It’s also a decade old and Hardy’s output hasn’t been impressive recently. His mumbling psychotic schtick plummeted to new lows in his Capone film.

I used to love the guy. Now? Not so much.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah, Hardy has settled into the one style of performance so much now that it almost seems like a parody - I watched Venom the other night and found it quite difficult to get through. I hope he gets out of it, because he has talent in spades.

I also see bond in this scene too
    That's more like it, @Risico007 ;)
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 727
    Also proves Taratino would make a brilliant Bond film. Especially based on the tone of the Fleming novels.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 9,767
    Trust me when I say my top 5 I usually can provide a scene or two as to why I feel that way

And while I don’t have the same opinion now years ago I saw this trailer and thought that could be bond
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Trust me when I say my top 5 I usually can provide a scene or two as to why I feel that way

And while I don’t have the same opinion now years ago I saw this trailer and thought that could be bond

I still feel this brilliant series shows Hiddleston could be a decent Bond. A mix of Craig and Moore.

He’s still 5ft 8in tall. A very short Bond, if so.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I remember watching The Night Manager and thinking at the time this was Hiddleston's Layer Cake.
    Having just watched that little trailer I'm reminded that actually he'd be great. A couple of reasons often put against him are;
    His T shirt debacle, doesn't really matter, as stupid as it was, Tom Cruise has recovered from 'the sofa'
    His build, Bond was meant to be slim and athletic not an SAS type unit like DC so Hiddleston fits the bill there.
    His lighter style, maybe we need a change of style for Bond 26, he could do humour and action convincingly. After all any copy of Craig will just feel second best (I love Craig in the role BTW)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

But also, never forget:

:)
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I remember watching The Night Manager and thinking at the time this was Hiddleston's Layer Cake.
    Having just watched that little trailer I'm reminded that actually he'd be great. A couple of reasons often put against him are;
    His T shirt debacle, doesn't really matter, as stupid as it was, Tom Cruise has recovered from 'the sofa'
    His build, Bond was meant to be slim and athletic not an SAS type unit like DC so Hiddleston fits the bill there.
    His lighter style, maybe we need a change of style for Bond 26, he could do humour and action convincingly. After all any copy of Craig will just feel second best (I love Craig in the role BTW)

I agree. Plus The Night Manager shows that Hiddleston can be very tough on screen, but still retain a English gentleman demeanour.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    suavejmf wrote: »
    cwl007 wrote: »

I agree. Plus The Night Manager shows that Hiddleston can be very tough on screen, but still retain a English gentleman demeanour.

Very much a matter of opinion: I thought it showed how he can't be convincingly tough.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I personally can’t stand Hiddleston. I think he’d reduce 007 to someone slimy and quite unlikeable.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I personally can’t stand Hiddleston. I think he’d reduce 007 to someone slimy and quite unlikeable.

Agreed. He's so, so wrong for Bond.

• peterpeter Toronto
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Agreed. He's so, so wrong for Bond.

very much of the same mind; I've said it before, he has a face I'd like to punch. Just a big turn-off. Too "actorly".
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think Karl Urban was missed oppurtunity, he was good in "Doom".
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    All three actors were great in all three clips, and would have made good Bonds at the time, imo. Fassbender especially. I don't see any of those three being in the running now, however.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 395
    Was David Morrisey in the running last time around, he made Basic Instict 2 with Sharon Stone at the time?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    MSL49 wrote: »
    Was David Morrisey in the running last time around, he made Basic Instict 2 with Sharon Stone at the time?

He was in the running, yes; along with Karl Urban too.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Nice to be reminded of the wise choice EON made back then ;)
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

I also see bond in this scene too

He should have been bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He'd have been pretty perfect, but that's okay: there's never only one person in the world who can play any role luckily.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

I agree with wise but not the best.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

I agree with wise but not the best.

Who would you have preferred? Clive Owen was the favourite at the time, I seem to remember.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Fassbender is the one that got away. I don't think there has ever been a more perfect 007 contender that hasn't performed the role.

When you look at the various cross over periods - '69, 73', '87, '95, '06 you realise that EON selected the best person out of the available contenders each and every time. But Fassbender never had a chance because of the insistence on staying with Craig.

He's so perfect that I would be happy to cast him now, even in a one off.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think actor who remind's us on Moore and Brosnan wouldn't be bad thing on next time.
    Fassbender is the one that got away. I don't think there has ever been a more perfect 007 contender that hasn't performed the role.

When you look at the various cross over periods - '69, 73', '87, '95, '06 you realise that EON selected the best person out of the available contenders each and every time. But Fassbender never had a chance because of the insistence on staying with Craig.

I’d be fine with that too.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland

Was he tested last time around?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Was he tested last time around?

His name wasn't in the bunch that we knew about; in 2005 he was still doing supporting roles in TV shows and I don't think he really broke out until maybe Hunger in 2008?