NTTD - Official Trailer Discussion Thread - First trailer OUT NOW (MINOR SPOILERS ALLOWED)

Comments

All i can say is that I love everything of what i have seen so far with all the NTTD trailers that have been released so far. \m/
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I just came to the realization that this film will have had 3 trailers released in 3 different years.

What a time.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    jake24 wrote: »
    I just came to the realization that this film will have had 3 trailers released in 3 different years.

What a time.

That's insane.
    Perhaps someone more familiar with marine engineering, and/or the science of the movement of water, would more capably discuss the following than I: In the preview, the glider with the wings which can fold in tightly with the fuselage fliers lower and lower over the ocean (or very large lake, or large river), and then breaks the surface and becomes a submarine. Should there be more of a splash when it hits the water ? I gather it is supposed to be sleek and smooth and highly aerodynamic and highly aqua-dynamic...still ? Sometimes the machinery and equipment is based on real-world stuff, so perhaps I am unaware of how smoothly such a thing could operate.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 6,665
    Well, probably Moore's Lotus whilst hitting the water at that particular speed should have hit it like cement and be completely totalled. The sheer impact should've been awful on the body's organics.

Just saying that the laws of physics in Bond films are often just slightly bent to serve a given purpose. Like Hitchcock used to say, it's just a movie.

That being said, I thought about the same thing when that machine hit the water, @Since62. So I'll reiterate your observation and wait for someone knowledged in engineering to reply to this interesting point :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Whats the third trailer? I thought it was only 2?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Denbigh wrote: »

The one that will come out.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    matt_u wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »

The one that will come out.
    Oh course lol
    Does anyone recall Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow ? What seemed to be airplanes of WWII vintage went underwater and functioned as -- rather quick and fast -- submarines.
    At any rate -- it seems it would make more sense for the glider to land on the water -- pontoons and all -- then retract its water landing equipment, and then proceed to submerge and travel underwater.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 12,914
    Since62 wrote: »
    Perhaps someone more familiar with marine engineering, and/or the science of the movement of water, would more capably discuss the following than I: In the preview, the glider with the wings which can fold in tightly with the fuselage fliers lower and lower over the ocean (or very large lake, or large river), and then breaks the surface and becomes a submarine. Should there be more of a splash when it hits the water ? I gather it is supposed to be sleek and smooth and highly aerodynamic and highly aqua-dynamic...still ? Sometimes the machinery and equipment is based on real-world stuff, so perhaps I am unaware of how smoothly such a thing could operate.

Not exactly expert knowledge from me, @Since62, but I can compare it to a torpedo launched from aircraft.

I know it's CGI, the glider making a cleaner more controlled slice into the water makes sense to me.

0:51

That torpedo -- as heavy, as dense, as smooth-bodied as it is -- made a splash. Even though it entered the water and proceeded quickly, it made a splash upon entry. At least some amount of water gets displaced -- hence, a splash. In NTTD, when the glider enters the water, well, I am reminded of Mr. Smee in Disney's animated 1950s Peter Pan, after Captain Hook (Dr. No's inspiration, partially ??? Just kidding...but...???) commands Wendy to walk the plank and she does, indeed, go off the end. She goes off the end of the plank and...it's quiet. Mr. Smee says: "No splash, Captain !"
    Which reminds me that with yet more time before release the film-makers have an opportunity, again, to tweak and improve NTTD before release. So far, I've seeen only the director commenting and saying, in a word, "Nope."
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    They might have slowed down the glider While Landing.
    Doesn't anyone remember the Flying Sub from VTTBOTS? Talk about plastering your occupants onto the windshield.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Doesn't anyone remember the Flying Sub from VTTBOTS? Talk about plastering your occupants onto the windshield.

Indeed.

dcf1e626ed119836d945fc93156eeb37.jpg
    Univex wrote: »

Indeed.

Thanks, Always loved the design of the FS and Seaview.
    The last times anyone took a hard landing into the water in a sleek craft in a Bond film were in TSWLM, already discussed above, and by Blofeld, in DAF.

So -- is the Glider-turns-submarine an homage to Thunderbirds Are Go ! and the other puppet adventures ?!!
    Univex wrote: »

Indeed.

Thanks, Always loved the design of the FS and Seaview.

A very cool design!

seaview5.png

hqdefault.jpg
  • StarkStark France
    I compared the color grading of the last trailers of "Spectre" and that of the film. They are very different, the one in the film is darker and more subtle. I've noticed the same phenomenon with other blockbusters, like Dunkirk. Those who make the trailers probably accentuate certain colors and lights to make them more eye-catching. This is the case of the last trailer for "No Time to die", where the light and colors are too strong. The color grading will be more subtle in the film I think.
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 725
    Yes. Never trust the colour grading on trailers ever. This is why all the discourse on NTTD colour grading right now is useless.
  • ObannoObanno Somewhere & Everywhere
    Contraband wrote: »

Wow...ok liking the look of that one
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 4,400
    That clip is terrific....Also, Craig's attitude during the interview is so relaxed and chatty! He seems like such an outgoing guy. So far removed from his steely Bond persona and the grump he can be on the interview circuit. I guess this is more akin to his real personality. Often his magazine profiles in Esquire and GQ speak of how different he is in person compared to his media persona.

The clip feels very Bond opposed to the director of True Detective....I'm actually getting Sam Mende-esque feel from it. I guess Fukunaga is really trying to follow in Mendes's footsteps literally and figuratively. Which is no bad thing. He did set a high watermark.

Also, I'm getting Temple of Doom vibes.....

008564_891x501_121823_002.jpg

Craig's performance feels a little 'off.' i suppose context is key here. He's meant to have been at Vesper's grave and then an explosion has rattled him. Hence, why he seems so bamboozled.

Zimmer's score sounds very Zimmer. I think we have heard a bit of the score from earlier in this scene from Cary's IG story with Hans from January. I think after the explosion we'll hear a high-pitched 'running your finger along a glass of water' sound. Which may explain the segue here and Bond's dazed and concussed reactions. Perhaps @Contraband knows where we can find that video.......I think you can even see some of the Matera scenes in the monitor they are watching.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't get Mendes vibes from this at all, personally. It's far too energetic/visceral in comparison with Mendes more relaxed/composed style. Thematically, it may be a different story of course, but I see a lot more in common with CR/QoS aesthetically than I do with either Mendes' film.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    I don't get Mendes vibes from this at all, personally. It's far too energetic/visceral in comparison with Mendes more relaxed/composed style. Thematically, it may be a different story of course, but I see a lot more in common with CR/QoS aesthetically than I do with either Mendes' film.

+1
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Mendes? As much as I like his combo, there’s nothing Mendes would’ve ever created in that clip. The Bond look, the score, the editing, the colors: all fresh. Reminds more of the first two Craig outings, with the obvious differences.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    DCisared wrote: »

+1

+3 (I'm counting matt_u's post as +2)
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    That clip is terrific....Also, Craig's attitude during the interview is so relaxed and chatty! He seems like such an outgoing guy. So far removed from his steely Bond persona and the grump he can be on the interview circuit. I guess this is more akin to his real personality. Often his magazine profiles in Esquire and GQ speak of how different he is in person compared to his media persona.

The clip feels very Bond opposed to the director of True Detective....I'm actually getting Sam Mende-esque feel from it. I guess Fukunaga is really trying to follow in Mendes's footsteps literally and figuratively. Which is no bad thing. He did set a high watermark.

Also, I'm getting Temple of Doom vibes.....

008564_891x501_121823_002.jpg

Craig's performance feels a little 'off.' i suppose context is key here. He's meant to have been at Vesper's grave and then an explosion has rattled him. Hence, why he seems so bamboozled.

Zimmer's score sounds very Zimmer. I think we have heard a bit of the score from earlier in this scene from Cary's IG story with Hans from January. I think after the explosion we'll hear a high-pitched 'running your finger along a glass of water' sound. Which may explain the segue here and Bond's dazed and concussed reactions. Perhaps @Contraband knows where we can find that video.......I think you can even see some of the Matera scenes in the monitor they are watching.

@Pierce2Daniel I really don't know what video you're talking about?? Need more info
    Italian dubbed version of the long trailer. Don't know if they are saying anything that might reveal more of the plot

Youtube-channel guy:

"I collected every trailers/teasers/TV spots/behind the scenes footage I could find on Youtube and cut every shots one by one to put them in order and have an idea of the full story with this extended trailer. I apologize for the quality of some shots, but I took the best I could find on internet."