What and when was your first experience of 007 ?

Comments

• silva13silva13 Australia
    edited September 2020 Posts: 198
    My first experience of Bond was early 2000's, I was about 7 years old and I remember staying up way past my bed time. TND was on television and by the time the car chase in the garage came on I was absolutely hooked. Pierce had such swagger and he absolutely captivated me. I had no idea what it was called but a few months later I seen the face of pierce Brosnan in the DVD section for DAD and assumed it was the same film. My mum got it for me and I realized it was a different and that was the point when I realized there was more than one james bond film. Next christmas or so I got the ultimate edition box set with the poker set. Needless to say I was a bond fan for life by that point. I discovered the books shortly after!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    My first experience with 007:

It's 1998, I was 11 years old. I asked for my parents to order TND on Pay-Per-View. After the garage sequence, I was so bored that I turned the movie off.

In 2000 the VHS for TWINE came out and I rented it out of curiosity. I think I enjoyed it a little more than TND, but it didn't really make me all that interested in looking for more Bond films.

Later on in the summer of that same year, my cousin brought his video game collection and among them was GE64. I was actually pretty hooked playing that game. So much so that I was curious to actually rent the movie it was based on. To my surprise, I really enjoyed watching GE. Over time I would watch all the other Bond films whether through rental or on TV. I would certainly make sure to catch the marathons.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,002
    My uncle introduced me to the Bond universe when I was about 7 (1981-1982). Brought me taped VHS of the first 3 films. I remember Goldfinger being the first one I watched, followed by Dr. No and finally FRWL. It was love at first sight and the rest of the films soon followed.
    My 8yr old daughter is following in my footsteps. Watched the first 11 films and is already a hardcore Bond fan. Her favorites at the moment are OHMSS, DN and LALD.
  • wintandkiddfaroutwintandkiddfarout Australia
    My very first Bond movie was The Man With The Golden Gun on television sometime during the mid 1980's. It must have been between the making of Octopussy and A View To A Kill. My curiosity in that initial movie led to me tracking down all the others at video rental stores.
  • Bueno1694Bueno1694 My James Bond Games' Playthroughs: linktr.ee/Xtreemo
    I think that most young fans like me have gone through the same story.

I can't remember my exact age but it was around 5 to 7 years old. I've just bought my brand new Nintendo 64, and one day I went to what I could call of a 'Blockbuster' videogame store near my house. I saw this 'Goldeneye 007' game on the stand and I told my mother I wanted to rent that one for the weekend.
    And I simply loved that game, and I'm sure everyone knows why.
    months later, I was watching TV and I saw a Goldeneye propaganda announcing that the film would be airing in a few days. I thought that the movie was made from the game, not the opposite (I was a very naive child back then). I watched the film and I simply loved it.
    Then, months passed and I saw a Tomorrow Never Dies announcement and then TWINE's a couple of months later. So... I became a Bond fan since then. Goldeneye 007 brought me to the franchise, so I stood here since then.

I'm currently 26 years old.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @Bueno1694 That must be interesting to play the game before seeing the film. Were you disappointed Bond did not infiltrate the Severnaya bunker in the film, and no missile silo in sight?
  • Bueno1694Bueno1694 My James Bond Games' Playthroughs: linktr.ee/Xtreemo
    QBranch wrote: »
    @Bueno1694 That must be interesting to play the game before seeing the film. Were you disappointed Bond did not infiltrate the Severnaya bunker in the film, and no missile silo in sight?

That was quite awkward, but I guess that I did not mind about that detail too much back then. I was more worried about how different the Archives mission in the film was from the game and why there were no 'Caverns'.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited October 2020 Posts: 8,000
    I played the game before seeing the film too, but I wasn’t really paying too much attention to how much of the game was in the film. However, I had played the level “Facility” so much that I was actually impressed to see how much of the building layouts matched. The only difference between the game and film was that there’s no point where Bond climbs through a hole under the floor, and that the rendezvous with 006 is different.
    I saw LALD when I was about 9 on cable TV. Saw DAF next and then GF, TMWTGG and then YOLT. Color me surprised when I found out all of the movies were not campy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I read a James Bond Agent 007 comic magazine in the early 70s, RIVER OF DEATH. I might have been 4 years old, it belonged to my dad. On page two there was a picture from the latest film, OHMSS that looked really cool. George Lazenby in a car threatened with a knife by Draco s thug.

Finally got hold of this magazine again.
    1970_1.jpg
    @Thunderfinger Nice find, mate. Glad you got it again. Hadn't heard of this adventure.
    @Thunderfinger Nice find, mate. Glad you got it again. Hadn't heard of this adventure.

Found it online from a second hand shop elsewhere in the country. It is by Jim Lawrence and Yaroslav Horak. It s a good one.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I read a James Bond Agent 007 comic magazine in the early 70s, RIVER OF DEATH. I might have been 4 years old, it belonged to my dad. On page two there was a picture from the latest film, OHMSS that looked really cool. George Lazenby in a car threatened with a knife by Draco s thug.

1970_1.jpg

That's one of the comics that Dr Cat features in, isn't it? It's good that you found it again as that's where it all began with Bond for you.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

1970_1.jpg

That's one of the comics that Dr Cat features in, isn't it? It's good that you found it again as that's where it all began with Bond for you.
    Yep. Dr Cat was a cool villain.

1970_1.jpg

I've never read any of the comics he was in but I've read about them. I believe he appeared in two Bond comics.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    A VHS tape of GF (French dub) given to me by my uncle when I was 7 years old.
    DN and FRWL soon followed and I was forever hooked.

1970_1.jpg

I've never read any of the comics he was in but I've read about them. I believe he appeared in two Bond comics.

I only know about his appearance in ROD. What is the other?

1970_1.jpg

As well as River of Death, Dr Cat also appeared in the comic strip Flittermouse (1983).

1970_1.jpg

As well as River of Death, Dr Cat also appeared in the comic strip Flittermouse (1983).

Thanks. I think I have read that at some point many years ago, but had forgotten about it.

1970_1.jpg

Thanks. I think I have read that at some point many years ago, but had forgotten about it.

I believe "Flittermouse" was Dr Cat's way of referring to his bats as it is an archaic term for bats.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    On holiday I was taken as a five year old to see OHMSS, naturally I don't remember much about this. Later I pestered an Older brother to take me to see LALD. At the same time I was starting to read the Books and of course the TV showings starting in 1975. So I've been hooked from about 11 or 12 years of age.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Rai 3 was showing all the Bond films every Saturday night throughout the summer 1997 in preparation for the release of TND. It was probably August and I watched FYEO. I missed the very beginning, I was just watching random tv and then found FYEO that instantly got my interest because of the Renault car chase that I found super cool. I was 7 years old.

1970_1.jpg

I believe "Flittermouse" was Dr Cat's way of referring to his bats as it is an archaic term for bats.

We still use it in Scandinavia and Germany.
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,728

1970_1.jpg

Really? That's interesting. We have small bats where I live that look just like a mouse with wings and I sometimes hear them flitting about at night. I think they stay in my neighbour's outhouses through the day. I don't have any bats in the belfry just yet though. ;)
    edited July 2021 Posts: 13,879
    Would I be right in saying Dr Cat is Chinese but looks like Blofeld with the bald head and Nehru suit?

1970_1.jpg

Really? That's interesting. We have small bats where I live that look just like a mouse with wings and I sometimes hear them flitting about a night. I think they stay in my neighbour's outhouses through the day. I don't have any bats in the belfry just yet though. ;)
    Sure. Maybe you heard of Die Fledermaus by Strauss? And here, we say flaggermus.
    Would I be right in saying Dr Cat is Chinese but looks like Blofeld with the bald head and Nehru suit?

Yes. He also reminds me of Dr No a bit.

1970_1.jpg

Really? That's interesting. We have small bats where I live that look just like a mouse with wings and I sometimes hear them flitting about a night. I think they stay in my neighbour's outhouses through the day. I don't have any bats in the belfry just yet though. ;)
    Sure. Maybe you heard of Die Fledermaus by Strauss? And here, we say flaggermus.

Yes. He also reminds me of Dr No a bit.

No, can't say that I've heard of that but I probably should have! I always learn a lot from you on here.

I'll tell you a funny story about bats. Recently I had my oil boiler serviced and repaired and the repairman found a dead bat had somehow got sucked inside the boiler causing the boiler not to fire correctly. How it got in there is beyond me as the boiler is inside in an outhouse but it must have taken an opportunity to get in there when the door was open once. The repairman remarked that that was the first time he'd seen a bat sucked inside a boiler; usually it was mice. Well, I suppose as a flittermouse it was near enough. ;)
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,637
    '85 : avtak music video , they played it a million times on mtv
    '88 : saw Bond movie for the first time , yolt then a yr mwtgg

I remember I was in Sweden early-mid 90s the first time I saw AVTAK Golden Gate vhs sleeve , it blew my mind , nothing like old school Bond art
    I don't kno if I said it on this thread, but my first experience with Bond was in Germany. More precisely in West-Berlin, where my father was stationed as part of the French Forces in Germany. More precisely in this theater :

large.jpg?1440708984

At the time, it was the one place we could see movies in french (too far from France for french TV in those pre-satellite days). And I was a frequent customer when I was allowed to go there (which means (mostly) matinee showings). I saw two Bond movies there : TMWTGG and LALD.
  • Gerard wrote: »
    I don't kno if I said it on this thread, but my first experience with Bond was in Germany. More precisely in West-Berlin, where my father was stationed as part of the French Forces in Germany. More precisely in this theater :

large.jpg?1440708984

At the time, it was the one place we could see movies in french (too far from France for french TV in those pre-satellite days). And I was a frequent customer when I was allowed to go there (which means (mostly) matinee showings). I saw two Bond movies there : TMWTGG and LALD.

I love that everyone has unique and interesting experiences with 007 for the first time. However mine is very dull, I watched Quantum of Solace in June 2020 on record from itv.