NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    They should've just went with a PVOD release and given it a theatrical release next summer. Make some money now, make some money later and it gives everyone an eventual opportunity to see it the way they want to see it.

Why should they?
    You don't make much money with VOD, and no theatre will play a movie, that is already out online.
    So there would not be a theatrical release at a later date.

The theatrical release ALWAYS has to be before the online release. It doesn't work the other way round.

Not only do films get theatrical re-releases all the time but there are also streaming-specific titles that have gotten similar theatrical/streaming hybrid releases too. Not sure what "always has to be" entails; it's not like that's a guaranteed thing, as displayed lately. I wouldn't be surprised if others attempted the same that don't fare well during the pandemic - perhaps Tenet will see one.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Not surprised at all, at no point did I think it would be released in November 2020, I don't think it will be released in April 2021 either.

At some point I think they will be forced to release it digitally if no vaccine emerges.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If they release it digitally they’ve lost money. That’s why Disney isn’t doing digital releases after Mulan, it didn’t make money.
    I was half expecting this given the current situation.
    Not surprised at all, at no point did I think it would be released in November 2020, I don't think it will be released in April 2021 either.

At some point I think they will be forced to release it digitally if no vaccine emerges.

That may well be the only logical outcome now, the longer this pandemic drags on.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

That may well be the only logical outcome now, the longer this pandemic drags on.

The best scenario would be a theatrical release followed shortly after by a Digital release when there is a window when the cases have dropped.

The fact Eon have still kept the interest going with trailers, new Music Video etc will bring in some money and maintain broader interest though they cant shelve the film indefinitely.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

SV7jeCjTR2OLpppLTrDL8JBMko1z_Gn8VI8hONgoML4.jpg?auto=webp&s=c8be96d981672a06521e899f5927f8687a05f531
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    matt_u wrote: »

SV7jeCjTR2OLpppLTrDL8JBMko1z_Gn8VI8hONgoML4.jpg?auto=webp&s=c8be96d981672a06521e899f5927f8687a05f531

She should have had her own blog. "The Web Log Lady"
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom

Just when I started to convince myself it was coming in November...I even allowed myself to get excited about November!

Nevertheless, I 100% support this move. I'm a little saddened that they didn't go for February 2021 so they could qualify for the Oscars. I think they did a bit of a disservice to the talent in that respect - in particular to Billie Eilish and Linus Sandgren.

But I understand that the box office comes first. There's also no guarantee that the Oscars won't move again - especially as the situation worsens in Europe and the political situation in the USA.

In terms of box-office, Eon will have a healthy outlook in April 2021 than November 2020. It's also the 5 day Easter weekend, which will hopefully lead to a bigger box office take. We'll also have a better idea how films fare in a pandemic by that stage. Who knows, perhaps a $1 billion could be back on the table as a realistic aspiration for MGM.

Maybe that they are also looking to the not totally implausible prospect of a vaccine rollout for the Spring and all the boosts to public confidence that would follow from that.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/hopes-grow-for-coronavirus-vaccine-by-easter-rdgkvxhgh

Obviously we’ve all learned to read these news updates about vaccines and treatments with a healthy dose of scepticism and wariness. But the U.K. chief scientific advisors to the government have themselves said that there are reasons to be optimistic about the prospects of a vaccine coming on stream early next year.

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    If they release it digitally they’ve lost money. That’s why Disney isn’t doing digital releases after Mulan, it didn’t make money.

Is this true? Had someone found the numbers of Mulan's profit? I read somewhere that it earned over 200m in the US???

Is this true? Had someone found the numbers of Mulan's profit? I read somewhere that it earned over 200m in the US???

Bad extrapolation based on the available data. Whether Disney will release any numbers is one question but the best estimates at the moment: just over $50m "opening weekend" from the US alone, potentially finishing with around $200m all in all.

https://entertainmentstrategyguy.com/2020/10/02/most-important-story-of-the-week-2-oct-20-googles-new-chromecast-and-netflix-offer/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Not enough for an expensive film like Mulan, clearly. Though looking at just the US - more successful than Tenet's theatrical.

There's three things that the people involved with NTTD seem to be unwilling to budge on - any sort of VOD, major cinemas unwilling to play films without exclusivity window, and the necessary of a globally coordinated release.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 8,009

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/09/20/mulan-making-sense-of-its-box-office-and-pvod-grosses/#64db71e03d13
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If Mulan was truly successful on Disney+ then they'd start making announcements on other titles. From the sound of things, it didn't do as well as they hoped so there's no plans to do anymore premium VODs for the time being. Hence Black Widow was pushed back for a theatrical release in 2021 rather than a premium VOD date.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Thanks for your quick answers. This means Mulan didn't great with VOD but not bad at all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Disney's November 4th earnings call should reveal how well Mulan fared.
  • Max_The_ParrotMax_The_Parrot ATAC to St Cyril’s
    Shall we all just pretend No Time To Die never happened and re-release Moonraker instead? I'm up for it. :-/
    Maybe they should try to sell the film to Netflix for several hundred million, they pay silly money for movies. (tongue firmly in cheek)
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    edited October 2020 Posts: 554
    Maybe they should try to sell the film to Netflix for several hundred million, they pay silly money for movies. (tongue firmly in cheek)
    There's no chance the film would make it's budget back on VOD. They're almost certainly going to wait for cinemas to get back on their feet, however long that takes.
    There's no chance the film would make it's budget back on VOD. They're almost certainly going to wait for cinemas to get back on their feet, however long that takes.

Exactly.

Well I know that, that's why I put in brackets Tongue firmly in cheek.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland

Ah, apologies. Didn't see that bit.

Ah, apologies. Didn't see that bit.

No need to apologize, it was a pointless comment by me on reflection.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    BOND-DELAY.jpg

'Unless we are to assume Bond is holding on until Billie Eilish is old enough to order a drink at the premiere after-party, we can look at the Vesper cocktail glass she might order as being either half empty or half full.'

DELAY ANOTHER DAY – NO TIME TO DIE bounces its cinematic release plans to Easter 2021
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Cineworld parent company looking to close UK and US cinemas beginning next week

Oh dear...This felt inevitable. Tenet did valiantly try and revive cinemas, but that move would only work if an onslaught of blockbusters came in its wake. WB balked on their commitment once they saw the Tenet numbers and knew Wonder Woman 1984's planed release in October would not only underperform but eat into Tenet's numbers. After that, the flurry of moves into 2021 by Disney was really instigated by WB.

Bond didn't exactly play well. It somewhat ridiculously kept its 2020 date and even doubled-down on it in the marketing. The result? (1) Embarrassment at MGM for bullishly putting 'NOVEMBER' on all the new materials, (2) Heartbreak for exhibition and for those working in cinemas hoping for Bond to arrive and now facing redundancy, (3) The irony is that Bond may not actually have many screens to play in 2021 with widespread closures.

Not a good look.....Even Mark Kermode has openly come out against Bond this morning:

I think Bond is being scapegoated here. Mainly because it was the most recent film to move and it did delay in a pretty tough way. Late Friday night was a bit savage. Also, the British tabloids are angry as Bond for them represents British fortitude and having Bond run scares tarnishes their image of the franchise.

But the numbers dictated the move, if people cared so much about 'saving cinemas', why didn't they go watch Tenet? This weekend, Tenet isn't even expected to stay in No.1 position and Hocus Pocus (yes, a re-release of the 1993 film with Bette Midler) is expected to be crowned with the top spot!!!! Simply put, you can't open a franchise film in 2020.

I feel Cineworld are attention-seeking here.....Understandably so.
    I think it will be November 2021 now. I think April 2021 is going to be pushed again?!
    Point is: people don’t care. People are not there to “save theaters”. Goin to the movies should be a fun thing. Now it is not. Blaming Bond is ridiculous.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Point is: people don’t care. People are not there to “save theaters”. Goin to the movies should be a fun thing. Now it is not. Blaming Bond is ridiculous.

Sadly their are some people out there who do not take the virus seriously.
    Whoa that's out of order pointing the finger at Bond for rescheduling. Look how things are escalating on a week to daily basis, come November many more could be in Lockdown, many already are.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I love how tabloids blamed Bond producers until three days ago for being "irresponsible" as they aimed to release Bond during the pandemic and now EON is being blamed for not releasing Bond during the pandemic because that would have saved the cinemas.
    Reminds me of the same tabloids who mocked those who were afraid of the virus and the week after that they would mock those who were not afraid of the virus.
  • Tenet did valiantly try and revive cinemas
    I'm glad it came out in cinemas when it did! A pity that NTTD didn't come out at that time as well.