Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

of course he would ;)

The only thing LTK could compete with FRWL in is it's villain. I've always loved Robert Davi.
    FRWL
    Can't believe FRWL is winning.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Becaust it's the all round better (Bond) film.

I'm 99.9% certain Dalton and Cubby would have agreed.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Can't believe FRWL is winning.

I can. It's part tradition (FRWL is generally highly favoured among Bond fans) and part Connery over Dalton logic (which is especially the case if you travel outside the Bond fan community.)

I found this choice very tough myself. LTK is one of my favourite Bond films. I enjoy it from start to finish (except where Q breaks the edgy nature of the film). That said, I honestly think FRWL is the better film: better scripted, better acted, more in keeping with Fleming's legacy, better scored, ...

Not that it matters, but:

FRWL: 7,5 on imdb and 96 % on rottentomatoes
    LTK: 6,5 on imdb and 71 % on rottentomatoes

I'm not saying that these numbers should make any difference to us, but I guess it does show a trend to be expected. ;-)
    Also, look at each films cinematography. They're polar opposites.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yep LTK looks more dated than FRWL.

Anyway, FRWL gets my vote as it's a superior film to not only LTK but to every other Bobd film in the series not to mention many other films in general.
    LTK deserves to win.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Very, very close. License To Kill is at No 3, in me rankings, but

From Russia With Love is at my No 1 spot.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited June 2012 Posts: 4,043
    Not really hard this one, as much as I like Tim and LTK is a Bond film I would still watch but up against Connery's finest entry and my 3rd fav Bond film FRWL wins easily.

I understand some think Tim gives a true Fleming interpretation of Bond in both his films but Sean was at his A game here, he gave us a great debut and then came out and blew us away with the cool swagger and utter confidence for him it was all down hill after this I'm afraid.

If I want Dan to echo anyone in Skyfall it is this one and it still remains for me the best outright Bond of the series, yes DC gives the best performance in a Bond film in CR but playing the fully formed 007 this is the one to beat not Dalton's.
    Russia.
    FRWL wins.

List of Ratings.
    FRWL - 1.
    LTK - 9.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,894
    BAIN123 wrote:
    They both top notch Bonds, but Dalton's performance alone blows Connery in FRWL out of the water.

LTK.

Really?? Hes good in Kill but do you honestly think LTK Dalton beats FRWL Connery?

Tell me...which lunatic asylum did they get you out of? :p

Pot, kettle. :-\"

But yes, of course Dalton in LTK beats Connery in FRWL. I like Connery in FRWL, but it's no contest imo.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    They both top notch Bonds, but Dalton's performance alone blows Connery in FRWL out of the water.

LTK.

Really?? Hes good in Kill but do you honestly think LTK Dalton beats FRWL Connery?

Tell me...which lunatic asylum did they get you out of? :p

Pot, kettle. :-\"

But yes, of course Dalton in LTK beats Connery in FRWL. I like Connery in FRWL, but it's no contest imo.

Even Dalts would find this a very odd view.

Where are the straight jackets?!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    You're also gonna need some anaesthetic before applying the straight jacket.
    It's a severe case of Daltonitis. Usually quite rare but not uncommon amongst those who frequent Bond forums - take precautions!
  • Sounds like a correct diagnosis to me :D
    Hard to treat as well. Very unpleasant.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    You don't catch Daltonitis, you earn it. Some people just don't make the cut.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited June 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Chuck Norris once messed with Timothy Dalton. As a result, Chuck was too embarassed to continue doing Walker Texas Ranger .
  • Getafix wrote:

Not so. I've had it since 1987 and I quite enjoy it!

• edited June 2012 Posts: 154
    From Russia with love
    Getafix wrote:

I'm speaking as a long-term sufferer. I found it meant I was unable to maintain normal relations with Bond for long periods after 1989. Only in 2006 did I discover a cure, which is only partially effective.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I've got mixed feelings about Dalts. I admire him more than I like him. Upon my last viewing of his films he came off as a bit...stuffy tbh. In LTK he was totally upstaged by Davi too.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I've got mixed feelings about Dalts. I admire him more than I like him. Upon my last viewing of his films he came off as a bit...stuffy tbh. In LTK he was totally upstaged by Davi too.

Funnily enough, having been a long-term fan since TLD, these forums have put me off him a bit. His supporters seem to be a bit too serious and (dare I say it) humourless, which has coloured my view of Dalts himself. By contrast, you crazy Brozza fans seem genuinely cheery and just have a straight-forward love for your Irish rascal, which is actually much nicer than the cerebral justifications given for why Dalts is the 'best'. You can't really explain it (understandably, as it's totally irrational), but you just love your guy. I've actually come to respect that.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I'm speaking as a long-term sufferer. I found it meant I was unable to maintain normal relations with Bond for long periods after 1989. Only in 2006 did I discover a cure, which is only partially effective.

Oh, well, now that you put it that way, I completely understand everything but the last 5 words, the new cure seems to be working just fine for me ;) :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Why is everyone picking on Tim now? The man's great and did two pretty good films, and with only those films he did better work than some who have commanded the role.
    Why is everyone picking on Tim now? The man's great and did two pretty good films, and with only those films he did better work than some who have commanded the role.

No he did not. That is just your fan perception. Outside of these boards he isn't considered much for anything.
    TD is perhaps the one "actor" (GL was no actor) who is perhaps unknown through big parts outside of 007 series. He did better on the telly than in cinema.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:

No he did not. That is just your fan perception. Outside of these boards he isn't considered much for anything.
    TD is perhaps the one "actor" (GL was no actor) who is perhaps unknown through big parts outside of 007 series. He did better on the telly than in cinema.

I didn't question his popularity at all in my comment, and of course it's my perception, I wrote it. I should have to add "in my opinion" every post. And most people who aren't big Bond fans won't likely know Tim, for his lack of films, same with George, and that's just simple fact, though it is sad to hear. But Tim has a talent and a personality to back it up, which can't be said for many.
    I think there is plenty of love for Dalts round here.