No Time to Die production thread

Comments

• I don't understand - can't imagine - why Broccoli and Wilson et al have decided to stick to a November release. It would be fascinating to have been a fly on the wall when discussions were being had between them and Universal/MGM.
    When you look at TENET's BO performance the release of NTTD in November 2020 makes no sense to me.
    Added to which, both Vallance and Whitty in the UK seem quietly confident that a vaccine stands a good chance of being issued by spring next year - so hold off releasing this movie another 6 months.
    I cannot understand how anyone closely involved with this movie thinks it's a good idea to release it in cinemas at a time of year when both covid and influenza are highly likely to be resurgent!!
  • phantomvicesphantomvices Mother Base
    edited September 2020 Posts: 469
    antovolk wrote: »

"You see them at the beginning being two very different people having to work together in a way that they've not worked together before, but as they evolve, their boisterousness and the way their approach their jobs and the way they are with each other becomes just really friendly and respectable. He learns a lot from her, and she definitely learns a lot of experience from him."

I'm pretty interested to see this now - it's been hyped over and over again. There hasn't really been this 'casual power couple' dynamic between Bond and a Bond girl since around the Brosnan era and I'm expecting something that will be a mix of Wai Lin and Jinx, who both had this with Brosnan.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm pretty interested to see this now - it's been hyped over and over again. There hasn't really been this 'casual power couple' dynamic between Bond and a Bond girl since around the Brosnan era and I'm expecting something that will be a mix of Wai Lin and Jinx, who both had this with Brosnan.
    I think it also has a better chance of coming across as more realistic, considering there won't be any romantic angles to the relationship - just a respectful partnership.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 469
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think it also has a better chance of coming across as more realistic, considering there won't be any romantic angles to the relationship - just a respectful partnership.

This would be a first for Bond, right? I can't think of anoother example. Although tbf there hasn't really been a buddy cop thing with Bond for any new male character, either, unless we count reoccuring characters and not one-movie characters.

Apart from Camille, Bond has so far, not had any non-sexual partnership with a one-off female character. In fact, I wonder if Nomi will replace the role of Felix for the forseeable future, given all the evidence that Felix meets his demise on the boat, which would make her the first reoccurring female side buddy character.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869

This would be a first for Bond, right? I can't think of anoother example. Although tbf there hasn't really been a buddy cop thing with Bond for any new male character, either, unless we count reoccuring characters and not one-movie characters.

Apart from Camille, Bond has so far, not had any non-sexual partnership with a one-off female character. In fact, I wonder if Nomi will replace the role of Felix for the forseeable future, given all the evidence that Felix meets his demise on the boat, which would make her the first reoccurring female side buddy character.
    I think so, which is exciting to see :) I don't even think he's gonna have any relations with Paloma.
    Although I don't think that'll be the case with Nomi as a recurring character. Mainly because I personally think this is the end for everyone in this film.

Whether Bond lives or dies, I think Nomi will go off remaining 007, and the next film will be another reboot (although not an origin story). So if Felix does indeed die, then the whole thing will be rebooted for another actor to be the new Felix with the new James Bond. I also think we'll get a new MI6 team.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,929

I think so, which is exciting to see :) I don't even think he's gonna have any relations with Paloma.
    Although I don't think that'll be the case with Nomi as a recurring character. Mainly because I personally think this is the end for everyone in this film.

Whether Bond lives or dies, I think Nomi will go off remaining 007, and the next film will be another reboot (although not an origin story). So if Felix does indeed die, then the whole thing will be rebooted for another actor to be the new Felix with the new James Bond. I also think we'll get a new MI6 team.

Yes I think that's likely.

A bit of me kind of hopes Nomi is good enough to have her own spin off in some kind of way (although she couldn't stay 007 for that), but another bit of me thinks you can't really do a spinoff in the world of Bond because the world is Bond. With something like Mission Impossible I think you could do it easily (and I do wonder if perhaps they should) but not so easily with Bond.

The thought has just occurred that the only time I can think of it being suggested to happen that Bond is in a 'buddy' partner relationship with another spy was in the original Bond 15 treatment which Michael Wilson wanted to be a 'Bond Begins', and in that the young Bond was partnered with another MI6 agent, and that other agent held the code number 007, just like it seems to be the case here! Funny how these things tend to come around again! :)
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
  • Tantallon wrote: »
    I don't understand - can't imagine - why Broccoli and Wilson et al have decided to stick to a November release. It would be fascinating to have been a fly on the wall when discussions were being had between them and Universal/MGM.
    When you look at TENET's BO performance the release of NTTD in November 2020 makes no sense to me.
    Added to which, both Vallance and Whitty in the UK seem quietly confident that a vaccine stands a good chance of being issued by spring next year - so hold off releasing this movie another 6 months.
    I cannot understand how anyone closely involved with this movie thinks it's a good idea to release it in cinemas at a time of year when both covid and influenza are highly likely to be resurgent!!

First, I suppose it's too early to say whether it's a good idea. A while back people were hailing them as geniuses for holding tight onto a good slot, and they may do again if NTTD turns a good profit. On the other hand, if it flops or limps to middling returns like Tenet (or goes to VOD purgatory like Mulan) then maybe the criticism is warranted. But short of a crystal ball, nobody is making perfect decisions these days.

Second, I don't want to get too off-topic, but (having worked in this field), it's a very long way from a vaccine being "approved" to it being injected in the average movie-goer. Anything that gets rolled out as early as the spring would be in small batches and administered only to the highest-risk groups. It would be later still before the general population was getting it.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    With all due to respect to Lashana Lynch, I don't really care about seeing her in these ads or doing behind-the-scenes interviews and what not.

I know it's a relatively big deal they've cast a woman to portray a double-oh agent, but this is meant to be a James Bond movie about James Bond with Daniel Craig exiting the role.

I want to see more of Craig than Lynch, ESPECIALLY since this is his last film.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,677
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    With all due to respect to Lashana Lynch, I don't really care about seeing her in these ads or doing behind-the-scenes interviews and what not.

I know it's a relatively big deal they've cast a woman to portray a double-oh agent, but this is meant to be a James Bond movie about James Bond with Daniel Craig exiting the role.

I've been having this exact problem with this production, right from the very start. NTTD, in production, was all about Bond women and what not. If the film serves these agendas or not, that remains to be seen, but the production sure did. Even the writers and the director himself were outshone by Phoebe Waller-Bridge in almost every written piece by the so called media.
    do we know for sure Bond doesn't sleep with Noomi or the new 00?
    Risico007 wrote: »

Oh man, that would be comedic gold!
    007 sleeps with 007
    , well, technically.

But I think not. Could be too Austin Powers too. All of this can still be a bit Austin Powerish, I think, if not treated well.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

Yeah completely agree. It's nothing against Ms Lynch but it's Daniel Craig's last film as Bond, I want to celebrate that, not Nomi a character we have never met and who probably won't carry on outside of this current timeline. I don't think Naomie Harris got this much coverage during Skyfall

Hopefully this Being James Bond documentary will serve as more of a celebration of Daniel's Bond
    Univex wrote: »

I've been having this exact problem with this production, right from the very start. NTTD, in production, was all about Bond women and what not. If the film serves these agendas or not, that remains to be seen, but the production sure did. Even the writers and the director himself were outshone by Phoebe Waller-Bridge in almost every written piece by the so called media.

I really hope it's just journaism being journalism. It's done for a lot of movies nowadays, especially ones with history or lore.
    I’m not worried about Craig’s Bond still being the focus of this film. I’m sure it will happen as it has for all his previous ones.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

007 sleeps with 007
    , well, technically.

But I think not. Could be too Austin Powers too. All of this can still be a bit Austin Powerish, I think, if not treated well.

They already dove into that territory in SP so it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination, sadly.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I'm sure Nokia would have loved to get Craig, but obviously there's a limit to the promotions he does. It's just an advert, it's nothing to worry about.

Because she's more famous than Fukunaga is, and people who read entertainment pages in the papers are interested in people they've heard of and recognise. It's pretty simple stuff.
    Right from the start NTTD was about it being Craig's last film. They cast some female co-stars, but they always do that. It was never only 'about' them, that's absolute nonsense- I don't think they even told us their character names, did they? Nothing to feel threatened about.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Yeah completely agree. It's nothing against Ms Lynch but it's Daniel Craig's last film as Bond, I want to celebrate that, not Nomi a character we have never met and who probably won't carry on outside of this current timeline. I don't think Naomie Harris got this much coverage during Skyfall

Funny you say that, because she got her own mobile phone ad shot by the Thames too.

Are we supposed to have been irritated by that as well? It's only an advert! :))

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,343

007 sleeps with 007
    , well, technically.

He will try, but she will be immune to his charme. :D
    Ppppppplease explain what is in that Press Kit !!!!
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    edited September 2020 Posts: 3,018
    Look what dropped in my lap. At least the two with Lea an her assistant are new. At least I think it's the assistant. Maybe a production woman

AxBSUkh.jpg
    eoS4r93.jpg
    QbA1ghn.jpg
    zFLtRGw.jpg

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Nice shots! I wonder why Lea looks so perturbed in these photos. Perhaps it's context within the movie?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Tantallon wrote: »
    I don't understand - can't imagine - why Broccoli and Wilson et al have decided to stick to a November release. It would be fascinating to have been a fly on the wall when discussions were being had between them and Universal/MGM.

Because the way things look at the moment, November might end up being the best they can get for the immediate future. I don't see things being "normal" until next summer, at the earliest. Things are better now than in March, for sure. I think this spring is going to be worse, because a vaccine might be announced in December and it will lead to complacency. But that vaccine wouldn't be available to everyone immediately. I fear a big wave starting late January. I hope to God I am wrong.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Nice shots! I wonder why Lea looks so perturbed in these photos. Perhaps it's context within the movie?

Yeah something is up with her.

(And for the record people: pic 2 not new. It's in the archive)
    There has been clearly an angle to approach the feminist agenda in NTTD's media coverage of the production. I said the Media Coverage. There wasn't a single interview or article where the Bond women (not girls) weren't mentioned as being the core of the film and strong examples, the female writer got more credit in the media and was mentioned ad nauseam as being a feminist. I don't believe this was EON's intent, and I don't believe the film has an agenda of sorts, I do think the media grabbed it in this fashion and took flight with it. And that's to be expected, since it's a big hook these days. And we've even got a thread dedicated solely to it, ffs. And I don't mind it. I'm all for it. But I do firmly believe Daniel Craig wasn't as present in the coverage of the production this time around. Not in the media's eyes, anyway. And I think he liked that. Heck, I would. But to say that mentioning this, which is an opinion, is feeling threatened is the most single absurd thing I've ever heard. I'm not threatened in the slightest. I do hope this film is about James Bond and Daniel Craig's last go at it. What was the more prominent concern in the "concern thread" but this one? So it's valid to worry, IMO.

In a nutshell, and IMO, the film will deliver Bond/Daniel Craig in spades, and lay rest to a concern that was fuel by the media's coverage of this production. That's all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There has been clearly a feminist agenda in NTTD's media coverage of the production. There wasn't a single interview or article where the Bond women (not girls) weren't mentioned as being the core of the film and strong examples, the female writer got more credit in the media and was mentioned ad nauseam as being a feminist.

They're called strong etc. every time there's a Bond film out.

The female writer got more credit in the mainstream media because she's more famous than anyone else behind the camera on the film, it's not a conspiracy.

She was mentioned as being a feminist because papers like the Daily Mail who reported that want you to see that as a bad thing and the world is falling apart because even James bleedin' Bond is one of those leftie woke snowflakes now, and he's not even stopping all of the immigrants.
    But to say that mentioning this, which is an opinion, is feeling threatened is the most single absurd thing I've ever heard.

A rather extreme bit of hyperbole there! Methinks the lady doth protest too much :) I thought you loved a bit of cod psychology based on almost nothing.

You filtered out all of the coverage about him being injured, stopping production, all of the questions to him whether its his last, the interviews he's done etc. Memory and perception is a funny old thing.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    TripAces wrote: »
    Tantallon wrote: »

Because the way things look at the moment, November might end up being the best they can get for the immediate future. I don't see things being "normal" until next summer, at the earliest. Things are better now than in March, for sure. I think this spring is going to be worse, because a vaccine might be announced in December and it will lead to complacency. But that vaccine wouldn't be available to everyone immediately. I fear a big wave starting late January. I hope to God I am wrong.

Perhaps in the US, but there’s no way the situation will be worse in Europe next Spring compared to the coming Autumn/Winter. We never faced a COVID-19 winter, and its a coronavirus we’re talking about...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mtm wrote: »
    There has been clearly a feminist agenda in NTTD's media coverage of the production. There wasn't a single interview or article where the Bond women (not girls) weren't mentioned as being the core of the film and strong examples, the female writer got more credit in the media and was mentioned ad nauseam as being a feminist.

The female writer got more credit in the mainstream media because she's more famous than anyone else behind the camera on the film, it's not a conspiracy.

She was mentioned as being a feminist because papers like the Daily Mail who reported that want you to see that as a bad thing and the world is falling apart because even James bleedin' Bond is one of those leftie woke snowflakes now, and he's not even stopping all of the immigrants.
    But to say that mentioning this, which is an opinion, is feeling threatened is the most single absurd thing I've ever heard.

A rather extreme bit of hyperbole there! Methinks the lady doth protest too much :)

You filtered out all of the coverage about him being injured, stopping production, all of the questions to him whether its his last, the interviews he's done etc. Memory and perception is a funny old thing.
    It’s also worth noting that even Waller-Bridge herself tried to downplay her own involvement in the project due to the media over-hyping her as the main writer who got hired to push some feminist agenda. It amazes me that people still buy into it all when it’s clear they’re going in the same direction they’ve been going in for numerous films since the Brosnan era. The only difference here is that a qualified agent has taken over the 007 codename in the five years Bond was off of active duty. Once one realizes that this scenario is quite realistic, all that feminist agenda discussion becomes trivial at best.

I agree with most of what you said there. Even if a bit hyperbolised. Although I'm not so sure Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the best known piece in this particular chess board.

A rather extreme bit of hyperbole there! Methinks the lady doth protest too much :)

Hyperboles are there to be used. But what I meant was that I'm tired that every time someone calls out the feminist agenda, or at least the extremist branch of it, someone else says it's because they're threatened by it.

Nah, I know that happened, in a smaller scale than "the topic" in hand. My memory's just fine. Listen, you can't deny that it's an important matter. More so than ever. I'm all for equality and empowerment. I bet I do more for it professionally than most. It has been in the media since the early 20th century, but now it's undeniably in the front line, as race and gender matters are. If they address it, it's a product of the Times, and that's useful and normal. Denying it and saying it's always been like that is being a bit obtuse, Queen Gertrude. BTW, "methinks" comes at the end of the sentence ;) if we want to be anal about it.

Good to know we're talking, btw, even if that line between civility and innuendo is still thin.
    jake24 wrote: »

It’s also worth noting that even Waller-Bridge herself tried to downplay her own involvement in the project due to the media over-hyping her as the main writer who got hired to push some feminist agenda. It amazes me that people still buy into it all when it’s clear they’re going in the same direction they’ve been going in for numerous films since the Brosnan era. The only difference here is that a qualified agent has taken over the 007 codename in the five years Bond was off of active duty. Once one realizes that this scenario is quite realistic, all that feminist agenda discussion becomes trivial at best.

Exactly my point, @jake24. It was the media that over-hyped the feminist angle in the game. Not the players, not even the referees ;) That's why I said:

"In a nutshell, and IMO, the film will deliver Bond/Daniel Craig in spades, and lay rest to a concern that was fuel by the media's coverage of this production. That's all"