NTTD & Corona

Comments

• RedNineRedNine Poland
    Also if they don't get enough movies to vote for in their mind I would not be surprised if they would skip the year and stagger 2 years during the next awards
  • Jan1985 wrote: »
    Just a thought... assuming NTTD stays on track for Nov 2020 release, and other fall releases WW84, Black Widow, Dune, etc get pushed back to late spring/summer 2021 AND the Academy awards are still on - are we looking at NTTD cleaning up at the Oscars? How many other films would realistically be competing here other than NTTD and Tenet?

Not gonna happen.
    NTTD does not come up on those Oscar predictions lists:

https://www.indiewire.com/feature/oscars-2021-best-picture-predictions-1234572041/

https://www.goldderby.com/feature/2021-oscar-best-picture-predictions-1203337083/

But Tenet and Mulan do. I think NTTD has more than a fair chance to be critically received better than those two "contenders."
  • No Time To Die may win some technical awards but has no chance in the best film/screenplay/actor categories.............
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Trying to become awards bait would be the death of James Bond. They should not care.

RedNine wrote: »
    Also if they don't get enough movies to vote for in their mind I would not be surprised if they would skip the year and stagger 2 years during the next awards

There are still hundreds of movies in 2020, already more than 200 movies, that were released theatrical in the US this year:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/2020/?grossesOption=totalGrosses
  • Maybe Best Original Song (and hopefully Score as well)?
    Maybe Best Original Song (and hopefully Score as well)?

Yes, there might be the same categories, that Skyfall and Spectre were nominated and won, like Song, Score, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Cinematography.
    Yes, it's a pity that genre movies never receive Oscars. Do you know that, of all the westerns that were made, only three received a Best Picture award ? Sci-Fi movies get only the technical awards, the only super-hero movie to get one was Spider-Man : Into the Spider-Verse, and it only got the best animated feature Oscar. There really is a disconnection between the public and the juries. And believe me, it's worse in France.

Oh, and it might interest you to know that Tenet managed to attract 1 614 471
    viewers in France in three weeks. Source :

http://www.jpbox-office.com/charts_france.php?filtre=datefr&infla=0&variable=2020
    @Gerard Big Hero 6 and The Incredibles were also animated superhero films that won Best Animated Feature, but yes, the point remains they are generally disrespected. I’m happy for well-deserved wins, but I don’t take the Oscars too seriously as I know they have more interest in political correctness than great filmmaking.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    From the New York Times:

Movie Theaters Returned. Audiences Didn’t. Now What?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/business/media/tenet-movie-theaters-coronavirus.html

Key take away (1):
    “The industry needs New York to open as soon as possible,” said Ken Thewes, Regal Cinemas’ chief marketing officer. “Governor Cuomo has done a great job getting it under control, but we really need him to give cinemas the same thought that he’s given to the restaurant industry and let us resume operations.”

Key take away (2):
    If those markets don’t open, and the studios get skittish, theater operators may have to take some dramatic steps to weather the storm. Shawn Robbins, chief analyst at Box Office Pro, said cinemas may start reducing operating hours to minimize expenses — perhaps going down to 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. screenings only, and foregoing matinees and early-evening screenings. In some cases, theaters have leases that require them to operate seven days a week. For those that don’t, showing movies only on weekends may be an option.

IMO
    Living in New York City, my “gut” tells me that movie theaters will be allowed to re-open here in some capacity in the October/November time frame. Whether people will want to attend, is an entirely different matter. The next few weeks will be critical (i.e., how safely can we re-open the schools and indoor dining?).

Anecdotally, while people seem to be slowly returning to “on-site” work, attendance is very low at the various museums that re-opened several weeks ago. One likely reason for that could be that tourists consist of a large proportion of NYC museum attendance, an issue that won’t necessarily be the case for movie theaters in the city. The larger question will be how many “non die-hards” will attend a movie screening if they can see the film on VOD or DVD in a couple of months. Or, is there pent up demand among movie goers? A demand that TENET was unable to take advantage of?

Again, without any real facts and just by “gut”: I think that “Wonder Woman 84” will probably be that movie (i.e., lots of young girls and their parents!!). NTTD will certainly bring in the die-hards like me, but will the casual movie goer attend? I go back and forth on that last question, since while Bond films tend to have broad cross-generational appeal, it does skew a bit older.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Yes, it's a pity that genre movies never receive Oscars. Do you know that, of all the westerns that were made, only three received a Best Picture award ? Sci-Fi movies get only the technical awards, the only super-hero movie to get one was Spider-Man : Into the Spider-Verse, and it only got the best animated feature Oscar. There really is a disconnection between the public and the juries.

There is no jury at the Oscars.
    It's thousands of filmmakers.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Sony animation film ‘Connected’, due to release on October 23rd, has been indefinitely delayed.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/connected-sony-pictures-animation-delayed-coronavirus-1234579241/

Only five wide releases remain before NTTD.
  • Virus is accelerating in UK. Cases doubling every 7 to 8 days and we're still in late Summer!! National lockdown is last line of defence but is a possibility and yet Universal is going to release a $200 million movie into this environment?. A vaccine could be rolled out by next Summer. Surely November 2021 is a better bet?
    Hurts me to say it but EON have to push back again.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 850
    We have no idea if 2021 will be better or not, even if they find a vaccine today, time to produce it and distibute it to all the people in the world will take forever... And since then cinema would be closed cause no-money to keep them cause nobody inside cause no new movie realease by studios.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    London has just announced that the New Year's Eve fireworks have been cancelled. Madrid is set to introduce draconian restrictions on social activities.

I am worried that NTTD's box office could even be more limited than Tenet's by November, if the amount of opened territories starts to shrink in the weeks leading up to the release date.
    The Royal Albert Hall looks to be closed in November, so there would go that venue if they kept the November date.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We have no idea if 2021 will be better or not, even if they find a vaccine today, time to produce it and distibute it to all the people in the world will take forever... And since then cinema would be closed cause no-money to keep them cause nobody inside cause no new movie realease by studios.

Why would they distribute it to "all the people in the world"?
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 850
    Cause it seems to be the only way to stop the pandemic, no ? Maybe not all the population, and not the ones who hare already immunes, but a very very good portion of it.

I mean there was a day where there was only -10 case in our countries, and these minus ten sprayed it, and people who had caught it spread it too, etc... Only one guy is enought to relaunch it if he had contact with lot of peoples?

But what is about other pandemic the world get rid without vaccine? I don't know. But I guess the COVID-19 and the sanitary measures that gouvernements takes will not be over without a good portion of there population have been vaccinate? And it's not a lockdown who will change anything exept for ruining economy & delay collective imunity (ohterwise we wouldn't talk right now of second wave in country who had one).
  • New restrictions coming into place in Dublin next week
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Belgium is doing a lot worse again. Stupid party people coming back from holidays in Spain and such are named as the main reason. Because it is smart to travel during a pandemic...
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

It might be just a guess on my part but i think situation might be better in 2021 compare to now.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

It might be just a guess on my part but i think situation might be better in 2021 compare to now.

In the West? Yeah, I tend to agree. (Just a guess too, of course.) Almost everywhere else? I doubt it...
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    Here in the UK, things have officially gone t*ts up

BBC News - Covid-19: Second wave now hitting the UK, says Boris Johnson
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54212654
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,690
    @antovolk Is a November theatrical release still possible if both the US and UK box office markets are closed due to a Covid-19 resurgence? And if not - what is the most likely scenario: a delay to 2021, or they drop NTTD on VOD in November anyway?

Cases are also surging in Spain, France and Portugal now. About 4 major cities in France have very strict restrictions as of this week.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 3,164
    @antovolk Is a November theatrical release still possible if both the US and UK box office markets are closed due to a Covid-19 resurgence? And if not - what is the most likely scenario: a delay to 2021, or they drop NTTD on VOD in November anyway?

Cases are also surging in Spain, France and Portugal now. About 4 major cities in France have very strict restrictions as of this week.

If the UK is out the picture then that's definitely the tipping point I think. Either delay (most likely) or some sort of PVOD solution for US and UK (less likely)
    Perhaps things will close down very soon and reopen in time for NTTD? Who’s to say at this point. But I think it’s best to expect a delay just to avoid more disappointment.
    They are faced with 3 options at that point:
    - incremental Tenet-style delays, a couple of weeks at a time
    - outright 2021 delay - potentially a problem, as mentioned in Baz's thing this morning, restarting the marketing proper, almost from scratch, a third time already, especially after going ahead and printing stuff with NOVEMBER...
    - PVOD

Option 4: keep the November date as it is
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    DarthDimi wrote: »

In the West? Yeah, I tend to agree. (Just a guess too, of course.) Almost everywhere else? I doubt it...

I highly doubt it will be better in my country, still hoping for the best as i want to watch NTTD in theatre :(