Prometheus (2012)

Comments

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    So... Anyone seen it? (or does it premiere this midnight?)

I'm thinking about catching it on sunday :)

I think it was thelivingroyale who saw it premier and posted their review of it, just don't know where. Maybe the action movies/coming soon to cinemas thread?

As much as I would've loved to I didn't see it at the premiere. Must've been somebody else.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    So... Anyone seen it? (or does it premiere this midnight?)

I'm thinking about catching it on sunday :)

I think it was thelivingroyale who saw it premier and posted their review of it, just don't know where. Maybe the action movies/coming soon to cinemas thread?

As much as I would've loved to I didn't see it at the premiere. Must've been somebody else.

HAHA XD okay. Sorry bud :)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    DarthDimi was the lucky one.
    I have heard the critics are mixed in there reviews? But also learned that Ridley Scott is looking at a return to BladeRunner!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,107
    It was a stunning return to science fiction from Mr. Scott. Visually perfect. The movie itself felt like a more longer exploration of the planet in Alien. To say this movie only has a sort of DNA of the alien movies is correct assessment... and not. Like I said it felt like the first half of the Alien, but more drawn out, to me I always felt like I was watching a prequel to Alien. Things were a bit different, but everything seemed eerily familiar from the get go. There were some different kind of lifeforms that would evolve as the time goes on, and more light was shed on the "spacejockey" species from the Alien. All in all I'd give it a 5 out of 5. I saw it in 3D and I'm glad I did, since I might not have this chance to experience the visuals like this ever again.
    All sounds positive! Thanks for letting us know your thoughts.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    I wish I could say I enjoyed it as much. I was really disappointed. It's not a terrible movie but I guess my expectations got the better of me. It doesn't help that the trailer gives away most of the story and a climatic scene. If you are thinking of going to see it just remind yourself that this is NOT an Alien movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If you go ahead and pre-order the film, you'll get a free ticket to see it in theaters:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8839
  • Yeah, just got back from seeing it. It is a good film. Not as good as I wanted/hoped for it to be, but it was good. Though, as mentioned above, it's best not thinking of it as an Alien film; although it does bare resemblence, and explains and reveals some secrets, and suprises, it is best thinking of it as a third Ridley Scott sci-fi film.

7 or an 8 out of 10, haven't quite decided yet.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,347
    I can't see how people say it's not a prequel. To me it is in almost every way. Same setting, earlier time-wise, same characters (jockeys, aliens), same ship, connected ending Prometheus - beginning Alien.
    Wished it would've ended with both Noomi and Charlize dead under the ship, but I guess it would be difficult to introduce the alien then. The giant-human/jockey should've died on the ship, staying in his seat (as found in Alien). Did he just leave and put his armor back together empty?

Loved it by the way.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    edited June 2012 Posts: 370
    The giant-human/jockey should've died on the ship, staying in his seat (as found in Alien). Did he just leave and put his armor back together empty?
    It's a different planet to the one in Alien and Aliens, so different dead alien dude.

Mod edit: a respectful spoiler alert wouldn't hurt, dear @Chevron. ;-)

• edited June 2012 Posts: 2,107
    I gathered as much as the ship that crashed isn't in the same position as it is in Alien and Aliens.... plus that giant humanoid looking jockey dude wasn't on his seat like he was in Alien :p
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    After watching this film for the second time this film showcases just how idiotic the space jockeys were. The aliens are meant to be some sort of weapon of mass distraction against earth and then the jockeys mess it all up, killing themselves in the process and then it's pretty clear the exact same thing pretty much happened again on another weapons testing site (lv planet in Alien).

As for wanting to whipe out the human race, I think humans are descendants of the jockey who killed himself at the start and this guy was probably a hated outcast by the others and seeing as humans are genetic descendants of this particular individual the other jockeys simply weren't having it and wanted to whipe out the human race....possibly.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 23,550
    I can't see how people say it's not a prequel. To me it is in almost every way. Same setting, earlier time-wise, same characters (jockeys, aliens), same ship, connected ending Prometheus - beginning Alien.

I'm still a little unsure about that, to be perfectly honest, but I agree about it being a prequel. It may not directly allude to all the main attractions of Alien, but it certainly builds the settings, physics and internal logic of the Alien film(s). I for one am exceptionally pleased that Scott didn't cheap this film out by simply checking off all the boxes on the AvP template. It tries to be its own thing whilst keeping itself firmly within the world of Alien. It expands on the Alien universe but not in such a way that we would be alienated (pun intended) from it. Plus, I love the aesthetics of the film. It's unlike Blade Runner (neon lights and Vangelis) and in specific departments also quite unlike Alien (Prometheus is brighter and slightly faster paced) but there's nothing wrong with it being fairly unique while maintaining a solid connection with Scott's masterpiece, Alien.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 40,473
    I literally know nothing about the film, other than a single viewing of the trailer that was attached to 'The Chernobyl Diaries' in theaters the other day, and the film looks excellent. I really hope to see it in 3D during the midnight release or this weekend - I hate 3D, but many people have said it's been shot with the best 3D cameras around, and is the best way to see it - and have tons of surprises thrown my way.

Anyone else going to be seeing it release weekend?
    3D?

Seriously, don't watch the film in 3D. It distracts you from the things that really matter. :-)
    @DarthDimi, think so? I've always put off the thought of 3D, but everyone says it is the way to go. That being said, the film already looked amazing enough with a 2D view, so I might opt for it. Saves me some money for a soothing drink during the film, too. Gotta love the Alamo Drafthouse.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 23,550
    I personally didn't like the 3D experience very much. I felt it narrowed the screen and darkened it too. The 2D viewing, which was my first viewing of Prometheus, was a lot better IMO. I saw the film the day before yesterday a 3rd time, again in 2D, and again I was much more impressed.

So far, I've had only two good 3D experiences (and I've seen dozens of 3D films lately!):

1) Tron Legacy, for the spectacle alone
    2) Hugo, because so far Scorcese is the only one to have effectively worked out new angles and film grammar via 3D

I'm not a 3D believer but I'll leave it to the great cinematographers (Dante Spinotti, Jeff Cronenweth, ...) to surprise me in this field.

Back on topic though, I don't mind people watching Prometheus in 3D. All I'm saying is, it IMO reduces the film to a cheap theme park ride when it has more effect as a moving painting your eyes can get lost in. In the end it all comes down to personal preferences, of course. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    3D?

Seriously, don't watch the film in 3D. It distracts you from the things that really matter. :-)

Yes do not go and watch 3D

The fact that the movie is filmed bt Ridley Scot in 3D, not changed into after the filming. Do not let it stop watching the movie other than how the director intended it to look. What does he know. ;)

I found that Prometheus like Avatar looked a lot better in 3D due the fact they were filmed that way. They look natural when compared to the remasted movies these days to jump on the 3D ship.

@DarthDimi, just curious, did you not see and/or enjoy Avatar in 3D? It was my first 3D experience and I loved it. I think the deal-sealer for me was the atrocity that was Clash of the Titans in 3D.

I don't know, I guess I will decide when I figure out when I'm seeing it, and how close the 2D and 3D showtimes are. I just know I have to see it, so 2D, 3D, or 8D, I will be doing so.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    2D on Saturday for me, I don't care Mr Scott has filmed it in 3D, i hate the format and see at as one big gimmick that hollywood is using to get more money out of us.

As anyone noticed that 1 Billion grossing films are far more often now? It's because of 3D and it will be a big reason TDKR is will likely be outgrossed by Avengers.

Unfortunately it isn't a fad and I see it's here to stay but that doesn't mean I have to play ball.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DarthDimi, just curious, did you not see and/or enjoy Avatar in 3D? It was my first 3D experience and I loved it. I think the deal-sealer for me was the atrocity that was Clash of the Titans in 3D.

I don't know, I guess I will decide when I figure out when I'm seeing it, and how close the 2D and 3D showtimes are. I just know I have to see it, so 2D, 3D, or 8D, I will be doing so.

I did see Avatar in 3D and I was indeed impressed BUT I was also distracted by the 3D. When I walked out of the theatre, I could tell that I had enjoyed the experience but I couldn't tell if I'd enjoyed the film. I went back and saw it in 2D. That's when I noticed other things, like how annoyed I was with the story of the film and some of the acting. The 3D was impressive for sure but it was also a good cover-up for, dare I say, the lesser film that resides underneath it. Or so I think.

@DarthDimi, my feelings exactly. The 3D blew me away, but I just didn't care for the film. I haven't watched it since, and don't care to - it's a film solely relying on visuals, and behind all of that, is a plot and set of characters I don't care for.
    Well apperently we have two more installments ahead of us in the prequels.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Well apperently we have two more installments ahead of us in the prequels.

Are we talking about Prometheus or Avatar now? I'm a bit confused. ;-)

I know that the possibility of a Prometheus sequel (which would then also be an Alien prequel if the logic behind my reasoning isn't flawed by confusion ;-) ) has been openly discussed, but then isn't that what practically every franchise heavy film does these days? Give people the impression that a film will be more than just a film but in fact part of a larger series and they will feel a stronger incentive to watch it. Often though nothing is certain about a sequel. Money will ultimately decide, but the s-word was dropped and a few more tickets were sold. This strategy is beginning to irritate me, however. Even before the first film is so much as completed, the 'possibility' of a sequel is well-documented. I'm still waiting for some of those sequels by the way... *cough* Michael Bay's Freddy Krueger reboot *cough*.

I can see it happen with Prometheus though. Scott is desperately looking for a big success as it's been a while since he last got the taste of that. I presume this is the very reason we actually got Prometheus. That said, the Alien universe has been rather successfully expanded since '79, not just in film, mind, and the theoretical possibility for prequels / sequels / sidequels was always there. Multiple approaches to this universe are possible, each with their own demographic. The target audience for Prometheus might not entirely be the same as the target audience for - say - the AvP comic books, but they all contribute to the wealth of the franchise. The way Alien was created back in '79, already had it firmly cemented as the backbone of something bigger, whether intended or not. All it took was Cameron's take on Aliens functioning as a very effective catalyst for an expansion in various media (comics, novels, video games, ...). One of many reasons why Fox was most displeased with Fincher's Alien³ was its obvious attempt to put a full stop at the end of the Alien sentence. Rather than building an even larger fan base and deepening out the merchandising opportunities, Fincher set out to create an artistic achievement for himself that would allow him a giant leap into Hollywood filmmaking. While I A) understand that he would attempt such a thing and B) like the final result, I also understand what Fox had in might. The studio executives had bigger plans for Alien on the table and Fincher basically wanted to put the franchise to bed and move on himself.

Either way, Scott's in grand pursuit of yet another career as one of the hottest filmmakers out there. He returns to a cult classic of his that has spawned generations of fans over the years. This, he hopes, will ensure a hit. Maybe that's also why there's been talk about a Blade Runner prequel... which hurts my feelings. Unlike Alien, I believe Blade Runner is an entirely standalone film and any additional material can only damage the original film. Plus, I doubt that Blade Runner can ensure the man of a blockbuster hit. It grew into a cult classic in the first couple of years since its release but it was only half a critical success and far from a mainstream success. It still isn't by the way. Re-release attempts over the years only got a lukewarm reception. People who love the film, like me, are usually very vocal about their appreciation and admiration of and for Blade Runner, but by the same token, they are few in numbers. Us, Blade Runner fans, alone cannot account for 400 million dollars in box office takes. They made the same mistake with 2011's The Thing, thinking that all the praise the Carpenter film had received after its disappointing business in '82 (the year of E.T.'s success and incidentally also the year in which Blade Runner was released) would somehow be bankable today. Despite it being a fairly good film, IMO, directly paying homage even to Carpenter's film, it failed to break even.

And we have yet to see where Prometheus will finish in terms of box office performance... If Fox doesn't like its outcome, chances are we see another AvP before we see Prometheus 2 and I'm not sure I like that scenario. ;-)
    edited June 2012 Posts: 40,473
    @DarthDimi, I was under the impression that he was talking about Avatar. Apparently, James Cameron has retired from all other filmmaking from the rest of his life, and only plans to do Battle Angel, a film he has wanted to do for quite some time, and more Avatar sequels.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DarthDimi, I was under the impression that he was talking about Avatar. Apparently, James Cameron has retired from all other filmmaking from the rest of his life, and only plans to do Battle Angel, a film he has wanted to do for quite some time, and more Avatar sequels.

No I did read about sequels to Prometheus otherwise this movie leaves quite some logic behind and seems to be a very frigging poor prequel indeed. There remains a large plothole between Prometheus and Alien.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 5,767
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I personally didn't like the 3D experience very much. I felt it narrowed the screen and darkened it too.
    The darkening is due to unable projecting guys who don´t know or ignore that they have to light it up for 3D. I saw both darkened and bright 3D films, and if you take of the glasses the picture instantly becomes much brighter.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    The 2D viewing, which was my first viewing of Prometheus, was a lot better IMO. I saw the film the day before yesterday a 3rd time, again in 2D, and again I was much more impressed.
    I´ve noticed something similar with The Avengers. 3D looked really good there I thought, then I went to see it in 2D, and it looked so much better!
    DarthDimi wrote:
    So far, I've had only two good 3D experiences (and I've seen dozens of 3D films lately!):

1) Tron Legacy, for the spectacle alone
    2) Hugo, because so far Scorcese is the only one to have effectively worked out new angles and film grammar via 3D
    Same here, except I was very annoyed by the 3D in Tron Legacy, because I found it very distracting from the marvellous sets.
    Hugo was really the only instance so far that made me think that there may be some use for 3D.

In general, I truly hope there won´t be any films anymore that are shown only in 3D.

As Christopher Nolan said: Films are already in 3D.

That said, I´m sad that I still have to wait till Prometheus is showing over here :-( .
    When will you get to see it, @boldfinger?

Btw, Nolan is SO right. I'll add to that: 3D belongs in a theme park.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    There should definetly be sequels, since the film didn't really set up Alien and sets up a sequel.