"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    That's a great lineup @DeathToSpies84

Yep - De Bruyne won the PFA Player of the Year award as well.

Yeah, he deserved it. I think he's the best Midfielder in the world right now.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,355

According to some former players the PFA award is a bit of a joke as some players just vote for friends etc instead of the best player.

Too many player awards in the EPL ?

According to some former players the PFA award is a bit of a joke as some players just vote for friends etc instead of the best player.

Really? I haven't heard of that though. But I think the main thing is, fans don't argue or find PFA winners shocking, as they always play so well during the season. And Before De Bruyne won it, I was already suspecting he was going to be the one.

Really? I haven't heard of that though. But I think the main thing is, fans don't argue or find PFA winners shocking, as they always play so well during the season. And Before De Bruyne won it, I was already suspecting he was going to be the one.

I was surprised jordan henderson won the other award/s.
    One was the FWA and i think there was another ?
    I thought Mane or De Bruyne would win them.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,247

I was surprised jordan henderson won the other award/s.
    One was the FWA and i think there was another ?
    I thought Mane or De Bruyne would win them.

Yeah. I get what you mean about Henderson. He's not a flair player and he isn't renowned for goalscoring. I think it's just that relentless energy of his that gains attention. The man runs tirelessly.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 17,297

We're currently 11 players in our Premier League Fantasy league for this season. If anyone here wants to join, you can read more in our Fantasy thread!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2020 Posts: 23,395
    Still undecided on my FPL Team, I need to sort it tomorrow as working extra over the weekend so will miss the opening day, though If I remember we wont get the early team news like before.
    Still undecided on my FPL Team, I need to sort it tomorrow as working extra over the weekend so will miss the opening day, though If I remember we wont get the early team news like before.

No, we won't. One one hand it's a bad thing as we could do with some leaks now and then, but at the same time you won't have to have multiple Twitter tabs up in order to keep up with who's playing or not!

No, we won't. One one hand it's a bad thing as we could do with some leaks now and then, but at the same time you won't have to have multiple Twitter tabs up in order to keep up with who's playing or not!

Certainly creates a level playing field and also probably wise to have a decant bench more so than before in case players drop out for C-19 or rested etc.

Certainly creates a level playing field and also probably wise to have a decant bench more so than before in case players drop out for C-19 or rested etc.

Yes, it does. My gut feeling now is that I'm willing to risk having a weaker bench, but I've not yet decided.

Yes, it does. My gut feeling now is that I'm willing to risk having a weaker bench, but I've not yet decided.

Defenders will be the more reliable back up players I think and so many likely starters at a low price is a bonus if anyone wants to save money.

Defenders will be the more reliable back up players I think and so many likely starters at a low price is a bonus if anyone wants to save money.

Indeed. I might go very light in defence from the start.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England

We're currently 11 players in our Premier League Fantasy league for this season. If anyone here wants to join, you can read more in our Fantasy thread!

I’ve signed up - been doing FPL for the last five seasons now. Finished third in my league last season, so I’m hoping to aim higher this time.

Predictions season-wise, I’ll go...

Champions: Man City
    Runners-up: Liverpool
    3rd and 4th place: Chelsea and Man United
    Relegated: West Ham, Brighton, and Fulham
    Golden boot: Timo Werner
    First managerial casualty: David Moyes

I’ve signed up - been doing FPL for the last five seasons now. Finished third in my league last season, so I’m hoping to aim higher this time.

Great to have you with us! :-)

My predictions are:

Relegated: Aston Villa, West Bromwich, Fulham
    Golden boot: More difficult to predict, though Werner will be up there. Salah too.
    First managerial casualty: David Moyes or Roy Hodgson
    This will be my 3rd FPL season, great to have more players involved.

My Predictions are...

Champions: Liverpool
    Runners-up: City
    3rd and 4th place: Man United (Sancho signing will bolster this choice if it happens), Chelsea (a lot of new players to gel may hinder them early on)
    Relegated: West Brom, Leeds, and Fulham
    Golden boot: Aubameyang
    First managerial casualty: David Moyes (Looks like its imminent)
    I've just joined Back of the net! too.

Champions: Liverpool
    Runners-up: Man City

I've just joined Back of the net! too.

Great! We're now up to 13 registered teams! :-)

My predictions are:

Golden boot: More difficult to predict, though Werner will be up there. Salah too.

As a Palace fan, I hope we get a good start and don’t bring the 19/20 restart form with us. I think we’ll be fine this season.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 17,297

My predictions are:

As a Palace fan, I hope we get a good start and don’t bring the 19/20 restart form with us. I think we’ll be fine this season.

I think Palace can do alright, but the restart form was worrying. I think a lot will depend on which Palace we see when the season starts: the one we saw earlier in the season, or the one we saw after the restart.

My predictions are:

I think Palace can do alright, but the restart form was worrying. I think a lot will depend on which Palace we see when the season starts: the one we saw earlier in the season, or the one we saw after the restart.

Before the lockdown, we had won 3 on the spin and had a top ten finish in sight. Then we just fell apart. And this is Hodgson’s last season, so he’ll want to finish on a positive note.

My predictions are:

Before the lockdown, we had won 3 on the spin and had a top ten finish in sight. Then we just fell apart. And this is Hodgson’s last season, so he’ll want to finish on a positive note.

No doubt about that. They need a good season from Zaha though.

Harry Kane cracks me up :))

That guy must have some serious Arteta envy!

The Michael Owen one :))
    I have never seen Carlo Ancelotti parodied before :))

The Michael Owen one :))

Several of them were spot on, haha!
    Mikel Arteta’s job title has changed from head coach to first-team manager. Interesting!
    Mikel Arteta’s job title has changed from head coach to first-team manager. Interesting!

Indeed. It says a lot about what the board thinks of Arteta.

Indeed. It says a lot about what the board thinks of Arteta.

It almost looks like they're slowly returning to a structure closer to that of the Wenger era! Makes sense though; Arteta seems to be very clear in what the club needs to do in order to improve.