"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Messi not allowed to go, Barca making a mistake as at this point they are still in a position to make money from selling Messi.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Messi not allowed to go, Barca making a mistake as at this point they are still in a position to make money from selling Messi.

Yeah, Barca simply don't want to realize that Messi's retirement from Football isn't far. If I were Messi and Ronaldo, I would retire now before I start displaying lacklustre performances, that would make fans forget how good I was.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Sánchez' attitude towards the end of his stay at Arsenal angered a lot of Arsenal fans too. Players as well.

Yeah. The self-importance tag was getting too much.
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Sánchez' attitude towards the end of his stay at Arsenal angered a lot of Arsenal fans too. Players as well.

Yeah. The self-importance tag was getting too much.

Indeed. Hardly the first player to act that way though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Yeah, Barca simply don't want to realize that Messi's retirement from Football isn't far. If I were Messi and Ronaldo, I would retire now before I start displaying lacklustre performances, that would make fans forget how good I was.

True genius Messi is for sure though he ain't getting any younger.
  • DeathToSpies84DeathToSpies84 Haydock, England
    Crystal Palace fan here (My father was born in the Crystal Palace area of London, so he’s been following them since he was a boy. I got bit by the bug when I was 10.). I’m not feeling particularly positive for this season. Aside from the Eze signing, there’s still been no bid for Zaha and we’ve yet to sign a decent striker.
    Crystal Palace fan here (My father was born in the Crystal Palace area of London, so he’s been following them since he was a boy. I got bit by the bug when I was 10.). I’m not feeling particularly positive for this season. Aside from the Eze signing, there’s still been no bid for Zaha and we’ve yet to sign a decent striker.

I can understand your concerns, post restart your form was not good. Continuing with the likes of Benteke wont help. Have any clubs been rumoured to be in for Zaha, he was linked with PSG at one point If I remember correctly.

I can understand your concerns, post restart your form was not good. Continuing with the likes of Benteke wont help. Have any clubs been rumoured to be in for Zaha, he was linked with PSG at one point If I remember correctly.

All the Zaha stuff has gone quiet. I heard someone quote that he wants to wait till the end of the transfer window and then make a decision. Benteke is past his prime. How we went from Glenn Murray to him baffles me.

All the Zaha stuff has gone quiet. I heard someone quote that he wants to wait till the end of the transfer window and then make a decision. Benteke is past his prime. How we went from Glenn Murray to him baffles me.

Benteke never seemed to be the same after time at Liverpool appeared to destroy his confidence.

Zaha waiting that long does not give Palace much time to spend any money you get for him.

Benteke never seemed to be the same after time at Liverpool appeared to destroy his confidence.

Zaha waiting that long does not give Palace much time to spend any money you get for him.

We’re last minute Larry’s when it comes to transfers.

We’re last minute Larry’s when it comes to transfers.

I am a United supporter and we tend to draw out transfers, getting Van De Beek so quickly was not the norm lol
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Manchester City have confirmed Riyad Mahrez and Aymeric Laporte have tested positive for Covid-19.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Mbappé has tested positive for coronavirus, he will miss the opening Ligue 1 game for PSG.
    How many of these players testing positive have been on holiday? Looks like there's quite a few off-season cases.

Lolzzzz I guess Mourinho is always thoughtful.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 17,295

Norway with a 1-5 lead against Northern Ireland now. Haaland with two goals and an assist. Sørloth (who was not found good enough for Palace, yet scoring 30+ goals last season on loan) also on two goals so far. Big man combo paying off!

Norway with a 1-5 lead against Northern Ireland now. Haaland with two goals and an assist. Sørloth (who was not found good enough for Palace, yet scoring 30+ goals last season on loan) also on two goals so far. Big man combo paying off!

Yeah, true. And Haaland is still proving to be a top player.
    How many of these players testing positive have been on holiday? Looks like there's quite a few off-season cases.

Very, this is concerning.

Yeah, true. And Haaland is still proving to be a top player.

It's only his fourth first team match for the national side, if I remember correctly. Plays like he's been in that side for years.

Very, this is concerning.

Given the current situation, I wonder why so many players are out traveling during the off-season.
    Indeed, @Torgeirtrap that's simply it.

It just seems so strange to me. With potential quarantine periods and the possibility of testing positive, you'd think any player would want to limit their traveling to a minimum.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 23,395
    During winter matches will be called off for sure, I expect a high volume during flu season.

It just seems so strange to me. With potential quarantine periods and the possibility of testing positive, you'd think any player would want to limit their traveling to a minimum.

Yeah, I thought the same as well. But maybe they missed their families.
    During winter matches will be called off for sure, I expect a high volume during flu season.

That's the worry.

There's that of course.

There's that of course.

Exactly.
    PFA Team of the Year for 2019/20 is...

Pope
    Alexander-Arnold
    Van Dijk
    Soyuncu
    Robertson
    Silva
    Henderson
    De Bruyne
    Vardy
    Aubameyang
    Mané
    That's a great lineup @DeathToSpies84
    That's a great lineup @DeathToSpies84

Yep - De Bruyne won the PFA Player of the Year award as well.