"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited August 2020 Posts: 17,302
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Yeah, that's it @Torgeirtrap

Wow! Very heroic and humane of Lindelof....reminds me of Kolasinac saving Ozil.

Yes! The fact that neither Kolašinac or Özil got injured in that situation is unbelievable.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria

Yes! The fact that neither Kolašinac or Özil got injured in that situation is unbelievable.

Yeah, that's quite amazing.

Very much so!

Nice! :D

Very much so!

Great! :D
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Transfer Talk: Chelsea spending could top £200m with reported Havertz deal

https://www.espn.com.au/football/soccer-transfers/story/4166178/transfer-talk-chelsea-spending-could-top-200m-pounds-with-reported-havertz-deal

Roman Abramovich has got money to burn if this is true, like the qatar owned teams.

Very much so!

Great! :D

It really is, because Arsenal haven't necessarily got the pulling power – money wise. So they need to be very convincing towards potential targets.
    Transfer Talk: Chelsea spending could top £200m with reported Havertz deal

https://www.espn.com.au/football/soccer-transfers/story/4166178/transfer-talk-chelsea-spending-could-top-200m-pounds-with-reported-havertz-deal

Roman Abramovich has got money to burn if this is true, like the qatar owned teams.

I wonder what the grand total will be for Chelsea's transfer window spending!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2020 Posts: 23,411
    Harry Maguire found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest and bribery
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/25/harry-maguire-found-guilty-of-aggravated-assault-and-bribery-in-greece

Oh! My!....this is not good.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Maguire's representatives seem to think Jail time is unlikely, which was reported on Sky. I am a United supporter and I am in two minds as to whether he should be stripped of the Captaincy, I think Ole would stick by him though powers above Ole may think otherwise.

Maguire's representatives seem to think Jail time is unlikely, which was reported on Sky. I am a United supporter and I am in two minds as to whether he should be stripped of the Captaincy, I think Ole would stick by him though powers above Ole may think otherwise.

Yeah, very tricky situation. Because if it ends up as jail time for Maguire, with Man U trying to rebuild, it might be difficult for Maguire to get back into the team.
    The Maguire situation is embarrassing, though any of us would protect a family member, the bribe is the embarrassing part... if true.

Edited: Harry Maguire: Manchester United captain given suspended sentence in Greece
    Manchester United captain Harry Maguire has been given a suspended sentence of 21 months and 10 days in prison after his trial on the Greek island of Syros.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53903703

---

Huge Breaking News...
    Lionel Messi wants to leave Barcelona THIS SUMMER following disastrous Champions League humbling by Bayern Munich
    https://talksport.com/football/746569/lionel-messi-barcelona-champions-league-bayern-munich/

God help us if he re-joins Pep and goes to City
    "Hello, Lionel? This is Mikel calling."

One can dream! :))

I can't even fathom the financial situation regarding Messi actually leaving.

Ronald Koeman also has said to Suarez, Rakitic, Vidal and Umtiti they are not needed at Barca, please Man United steer clear of these players lol

Ronald Koeman also has said to Suarez, Rakitic, Vidal and Umtiti they are not needed at Barca, please Man United steer clear of these players lol

Indeed. And imagine the wages he'll get at a new club!

Suarez is linked with Ajax, isn't he?

Not sure though a return to Ajax would make sense.

It might just have been the usual gossip. I can't remember where I read it.
    _______

I think we can cross a club starting with "A" and ending with "AL" from that list :))

_______

I think we can cross a club starting with "A" and ending with "AL" from that list :))

:)) I think only two from that list would realistically sign Messi Man City and PSG and I think only one would suit him Man City.

Though whoever got him even for two to three years would make a lot of money, Man United's huge fan base would ensure mega merchandise sales for sure.

_______

:)) I think only two from that list would realistically sign Messi Man City and PSG and I think only one would suit him Man City.

Though whoever got him even for two to three years would make a lot of money, Man United's huge fan base would ensure mega merchandise sales for sure.

Yes, if he is to leave Barca, those are the only two likely destinations, I imagine.

The impact he would have for the club of choice from a brand perspective would be massive. I'm sure there are a couple of clubs doing some calculations of what he'd be worth as we speak, haha!

_______

Yes, if he is to leave Barca, those are the only two likely destinations, I imagine.

The impact he would have for the club of choice from a brand perspective would be massive. I'm sure there are a couple of clubs doing some calculations of what he'd be worth as we speak, haha!

I would have included Chelsea though they are in the process of signing about six top class players this transder window already (Man United take note lol).

There is also the possibility of China or MLS though surely Messi would want at least another two years at the highest level.

Some have speculated that it's a political move by Messi to oust certain people from Barca.

_______

I would have included Chelsea though they are in the process of signing about six top class players this transder window already (Man United take note lol).

There is also the possibility of China or MLS though surely Messi would want at least another two years at the highest level.

Some have speculated that it's a political move by Messi to oust certain people from Barca.

Yes, if Chelsea were to sign even more players than they're already about to do, then you have to wonder about financial fair play.

I guess it might be just that – a move to oust certain people from the club. Messi leaving is the sort of story you don't believe until it actually happens!
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,355
    That Harry Maguire trial is bizarre.

It's hard to know who to believe..........

This is Messi's wage package at Barcelona according to Football Leaks:
    60.395.769 euro basic yearly wages (£988.000 a week),
    £9.100.000 per year on image rights,
    £13.000.000 a year on possible bonuses plus signing on & loyalty fee (£120.000.000 over 5 years).

Nice.

Arsenal vs Liverpool. FA Community Shield Saturday 29th August 2020.
    Another trophy up for grabs, already....

Messi's wages are insane though in this day and age probably deserved he is one of the greatest players of all time.
    G.O.A.T
    1622946_Reuters_SOCCER-ENGLAND-RONALDO-Football-Manchester-United-v-Aston-Villa_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqoS88gpQUkHtDPgDkSBmlA1txebJGaupgt0h_Mn4fmpQ.jpg
    ;)
    A lot will depend on what transfer fee if any a prospective club may have to pay for Messi, which leads to this...

SHOCK Barcelona confirm Lionel Messi wants to LEAVE with Argentina legend planning to utilise agreed clause and move on FREE TRANSFER
    https://talksport.com/football/750887/lionel-messi-barcelona-leave-clause-terminate-contract/

🤣 Indeed, @Torgeirtrap...although, like you and @Fire_and_Ice_Returns correctly pointed out, it's likely to be Man City or PSG for Messi....especially Man City for their passing game.

Brendan Rodgers rings Lionel Messi

🤣 Indeed, @Torgeirtrap...although, like you and @Fire_and_Ice_Returns correctly pointed out, it's likely to be Man City or PSG for Messi....especially Man City for their passing game.

Oil money will get him.

Oil money will get him.

Yeah, looks that way.

Oil money will get him.

Yeah, looks that way.

Abramovich could afford to have him too.

Anyone else ?

Oil money will get him.

Yeah, looks that way.

Anyone else ?

Hmmmm? I don't know if Chelsea's style of play would suit him though.

Oil money will get him.

Yeah, looks that way.

Anyone else ?

What about Juve with the agnelli money? Him and CR7 would make a great team.

Oil money will get him.

Yeah, looks that way.

Anyone else ?

What about Juve with the agnelli money? Him and CR7 would make a great team.

Yeah, there's also talk of Ronaldo leaving too....but I don't know how concrete that information is.