MGW to appear on Newsnight on Thursday 31st May

2»

Comments

Yeah.
    Hates JB so much she wore Dr No tribute gloves
    I think the Lady needs to research her subject matter more before spouting off such rubbish! The 007 expert did get the treachery side being new wrong too as already mentioned.

Overall i enjoyed the piece and did not expect it to be so long! That was a nice surprise and hopefully the start of hopefully alot more 007 documentries!!!! [-O<
    It takes 2 kills....first will be her (hahahahah) second... ;)
    TonyEbik wrote:
    It takes 2 kills....first will be her (hahahahah) second... ;)

lol! I like your style!
    lol ;)
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 1,492
    TonyEbik wrote:
    Did anyone notice that the lady (Bidisha) was wearing some right evil looking bond villain style gloves?

Aaahhh Bidisha..

One of The Guardian's feminista writer. A woman who spots misogyny in a paper cup.

Along with Julie Bindel she is one of the Guardians writers who is actually too extreme for Guardian readers. I am a Guardian reader and I guffaw with laughter with some of the things she comes out with. She is a misandrist - she'd deny it of course. But you read her writings she is not keen on men. She's also abit of a cloisered academics who sees the coloured peoples of the world repressed by the white anglo-saxon male. To be honest, despite being a right-on leftie myself - I think she is as much of a bigot then then men she despises

Interesting I think she loses this one to Horowitz. She admits she like the Daniel Craig films and cites the seventies Roger Moore films (of which I suspect she hasnt seen many - probably turning off in disgust when he appears) qnd says she likes the Daniel Craig films. In many ways this started in GE. The pandering to the feminist demographic happened in that film.

But Horowitz counters with his description of Bond from the novels. She admits not reading them. She admits that Bond has moved on. And her loathing is based on what he was, not what he is.

Horowitz gets the attraction of Bond, that he is a male fantasy figure. Bidisha doesnt get that, doesnt want to get that. Bu the films, in many ways have taken her opinions on board without knowing it.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 84
    How anyone who uses only a single name to refer to herself and wears black leather gloves in a studio can then accuse a fictional character of arrogance, seriously needs to take a look at herself....

I found her very annoying, and like most self-appointed critic/journalist types, she was looking for confirmation of her own blinkered prejudices where they probably don't exist as much as they do. She had a distaste for anything thats British/male and was going to prove it. She was a perfect example of the "anti-british, yet is british" person that came so much to prevalance in the last 12years or so here, who finds embarassment in anything that can be referred to as traditional and iconically British,rather than being proud to be part of the fabric of our society that makes us what we are, and also conveniently always fails to acknowledge that to be British is actually respected around the world and many people admire the british-ness we have.

Overall the newsnight article was well informed, fair, gave both a bond fan and a non-bond person an interesting look back and forward on the franchise, my compliments to Stephen Smith for a great item, shame it was tarnished at the end by "bidisha" who is as blinkered in her own ways as anything she accuses of being so! (Rant over!)
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    In Fleming's time, that woman wouldn't of been allowed into the studio.

I suspect that woman hasn't read CR. Although to tell the truth I was pretty shocked by that.

Racism and sexism I can do without nowadays but arrogance and a certain amount of self satisfaction are what make Bond. THAT is why I like Craig - he still has that arrogant touch.

Excellent post and good insight about Craig's Bond- I'm interested to see how he'll use that in a more traditional portrayal of the character.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    actonsteve wrote:
    TonyEbik wrote:
    Did anyone notice that the lady (Bidisha) was wearing some right evil looking bond villain style gloves?

Aaahhh Bidisha..

One of The Guardian's feminista writer. A woman who spots misogyny in a paper cup.

Along with Julie Bindel she is one of the Guardians writers who is actually too extreme for Guardian readers. I am a Guardian reader and I guffaw with laughter with some of the things she comes out with. She is a misandrist - she'd deny it of course. But you read her writings she is not keen on men. She's also abit of a cloisered academics who sees the coloured peoples of the world repressed by the white anglo-saxon male. To be honest, despite being a right-on leftie myself - I think she is as much of a bigot then then men she despises

Interesting I think she loses this one to Horowitz. She admits she like the Daniel Craig films and cites the seventies Roger Moore films (of which I suspect she hasnt seen many - probably turning off in disgust when he appears) qnd says she likes the Daniel Craig films. In many ways this started in GE. The pandering to the feminist demographic happened in that film.

But Horowitz counters with his description of Bond from the novels. She admits not reading them. She admits that Bond has moved on. And her loathing is based on what he was, not what he is.

Horowitz gets the attraction of Bond, that he is a male fantasy figure. Bidisha doesnt get that, doesnt want to get that. Bu the films, in many ways have taken her opinions on board without knowing it.

Still she still agreed with Horowitz just before the end about Bond being a fantasy figure. Talk about waffling your subject :/
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    TonyEbik wrote:

Yes. Also only having one name is quite evil sounding.

Bidisha for Bond 24?
    darrenr wrote:
    How anyone who uses only a single name to refer to herself and wears black leather gloves in a studio can then accuse a fictional character of arrogance, seriously needs to take a look at herself....

I found her very annoying, and like most self-appointed critic/journalist types, she was looking for confirmation of her own blinkered prejudices where they probably don't exist as much as they do. She had a distaste for anything thats British/male and was going to prove it. She was a perfect example of the "anti-british, yet is british" person that came so much to prevalance in the last 12years or so here, who finds embarassment in anything that can be referred to as traditional and iconically British,rather than being proud to be part of the fabric of our society that makes us what we are, and also conveniently always fails to acknowledge that to be British is actually respected around the world and many people admire the british-ness we have.

Overall the newsnight article was well informed, fair, gave both a bond fan and a non-bond person an interesting look back and forward on the franchise, my compliments to Stephen Smith for a great item, shame it was tarnished at the end by "bidisha" who is as blinkered in her own ways as anything she accuses of being so! (Rant over!)

Well said Darren! Agree with all of that!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Getafix wrote:
    Bidisha for Bond 24?

Bond can kill her with sexist and racist remarks. ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I've just run through the comments and I'm wondering if I didn't see the whole video? There was no woman in the one I saw, and I didn't have Horowitz! Can anyone give the link for this?
    And who the hell is this Bidisha I never heard about? And what a name!
    Getafix wrote:
    Bidisha for Bond 24?
    I'm all for it!

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jhltk/Newsnight_31_05_2012/

If you can access this, it's at the end of the programme.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Samuel001 wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jhltk/Newsnight_31_05_2012/

If you can access this, it's at the end of the programme.

Thanks Sam, apparently the problem is the regional settings. The link forwards me to the link I posted before, which ends abruptly with the gunbarrel at around 10 min. I guess there was a lot more after that, what a shame.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    darrenr wrote:

Exceptionally well put Sir.

Have a read of her wiki entry - absolutely priceless.

People like her make me wretch. Slagging off everything about this country yet would she be complaining if her plane got hijacked and flown to Mogadishu or would she actually be praying that the Prime Minister sent in the SAS to save her whining lefty ass?

Elvis, Pele, Madonna - all fair enough but does Bidisha consider herself in that company?

Need to put your surname next time you are on telly love as nobody outside the hand wringing Guardianistas of Islington has the faintest clue who the f**k you are and even less interest in what you have to say.

Bond makes everyone in this country proud (and much as this will pain you women love him just as much as men). Who is proud of you Bidisha? Jog on and get your face of my TV.

I wish I was the sort of person who liked to put dogshit through peoples letterboxes as I'd be googling her address right now.
  • I only able to watch up to the 9 minute mark around the area of gun barrel
    darrenr wrote:

Exceptionally well put Sir.

Have a read of her wiki entry - absolutely priceless.

People like her make me wretch. Slagging off everything about this country yet would she be complaining if her plane got hijacked and flown to Mogadishu or would she actually be praying that the Prime Minister sent in the SAS to save her whining lefty ass?

Elvis, Pele, Madonna - all fair enough but does Bidisha consider herself in that company?

Need to put your surname next time you are on telly love as nobody outside the hand wringing Guardianistas of Islington has the faintest clue who the f**k you are and even less interest in what you have to say.

Bond makes everyone in this country proud (and much as this will pain you women love him just as much as men). Who is proud of you Bidisha? Jog on and get your face of my TV.

I wish I was the sort of person who liked to put dogshit through peoples letterboxes as I'd be googling her address right now.

:)) =)) ^:)^ =D> I bow to your wisdom Wizard, absolutely agree with all this. I am still laughing now! lol
    Good luck to her finding an English husband who doesn't like Bond.
  • Good luck to her finding an English husband who doesn't like Bond.

I haven't seen the interview (BBC regional settings and all) but is it fair to assume that she was someone they brought on with the sole purpose of stirring everyone up and causing discussion? If so, mission accomplished?

I thought it was only American news shows that used those kind of theatrics...sad to see that reasonable discussion is being sacrificed for ratings and attention in other places as well...

i dont think she is to bothered about that. From what I remember she drinks from the hairy cup. If you know what I mean.

actonsteve wrote:

i dont think she is to bothered about that. From what I remember she drinks from the hairy cup. If you know what I mean.

:)) :)) That's an epic level of crudeness.
  • Oh man. I know I shouldn't be laughing- but I am =))
    actonsteve wrote:

Oh, that's almost too funny. :P
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,586
    "Less impressive was the Fleming estate's most recent actual choice, William Boyd, who frankly came across as "going through the motions" and was very reminiscent of the stuffy Sebastian Faulks when he was interviewed during the writing process. I do hope we aren't going to have another turkey!"

I have to say, it's hard for one to stay hopeful these days. This goes for the books and films. SF might very well be too lighthearted for a Craig Bond film, and the new book, bland and unmemorable, just like DMC and CB.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Lots of comment here about the Horowitz-Bidisha tussle (and rightly so; must say I was a little disappointed myself even Horowitz, the 'Bond defender' of the two, felt he had to knock the Roger Moore era), but I felt compelled to comment in this thread on Steve Smith's opening piece on Bond itself.

Smith's a fine broadcaster. His arts pieces for Newsnight are always intelligent and insightful, but shot through with a wonderful wryness. His three-part series on Art Nouveau for BBC4 earlier this year was exactly the same - and excellent because of it...
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Is there any way to re watch this? Pertinent now that Horowitz got the gig.