MGW to appear on Newsnight on Thursday 31st May

edited May 2012 in News Posts: 11,425
Paxo just stated MGW will be on Newsnight on Thursday, discussing how Bond reflects changing Britain. Sounds like a blatant marketing stunt, but might include some interesting footage of SF.

Comments

cheers will record that should be interesting.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Any Bond marketing is good news as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the news @Getafix.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2012 Posts: 9,117
    Sounds interesting.

Love it if MGW thinks its basically a glorified advert and then Paxo opens up with:

'So Mr Wilson, Die Another Day. What a pile of shite. What the f**k did you think you were playing at?'

Not a bad idea for thread actually - 'Killer Opening Questions Paxman Could Ask Bond Characters'.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Sounds interesting.

Love it if MGW thinks its basically a glorified advert and then Paxo opens up with:

'So Mr Wilson, Die Another Day. What a pile of shite. What the f**k did you think you were playing at?'

Not a bad idea for thread actually - 'Killer Opening Questions Paxman Could Ask Bond Characters'.

"Jinx, why did you think you had the right to copy Honey Ryder, you inferior fool?"
    Nice one Getafix! Will be watching that tomorrow night! :-bd
    Paxo just signed off with "James Bond is here tomorrow night." Think he means MGW.
  • Expected it to be on tonight after just seeing the amendment that it's to be broadcast tomorrow night instead.

I definately won't get that hour back after watching all the boring economic shite, so Bond better be covered the whole hour tomorrow night :D
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Getafix wrote:
    Paxo just signed off with "James Bond is here tomorrow night." Think he means MGW.

Fingers crossed for Daniel Craig as well! ;)
    Day off tomorrow so will stay up and watch this later! :D
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Fingers crossed for Daniel Craig as well! ;)

Would be great, but I don't think he'll be appearing in person. Newsnight have to dress it up as a 'serious' piece, so it will doubtless focus on changing attitudes to women and smoking... Our best bet is for some unseen footage perhaps? I think I saw a glimpse of the Turkish bazaar shoot-out in the clip they showed on Tuesday.

• JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Any news?
    Watch out for the exclusive clip.... :-B
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Thanks Sandy :)
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    That was great. Very interesting video. Not many SKYFALL news (only some b-roll footage), but I found it very original (compared to the cliché boring videos we usually see).
    didn't see any indication of MGW being on the show?
    gt007 wrote:
    That was great. Very interesting video. Not many SKYFALL news (only some b-roll footage), but I found it very original (compared to the cliché boring videos we usually see).

Notice anything new or stand-out in the b-roll, or is it the same as we've seen?
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    gt007 wrote:

Notice anything new or stand-out in the b-roll, or is it the same as we've seen?
    There were some stuff from Turkey I hadn't seen before, a guy on a motorcycle in some sort of a market or bazaar. But then again I've avoided most of the previously released b-roll footage, so it may be new to me only.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Watching it now.

"The arrogance sticks in the throat"

"It (modern Bond) lost some of the arrogance...the sexism, the racism that I'd hated"

Shut up you feminist :p

Joke.
    In Fleming's time, that woman wouldn't of been allowed into the studio.

I suspect that woman hasn't read CR. Although to tell the truth I was pretty shocked by that.

Racism and sexism I can do without nowadays but arrogance and a certain amount of self satisfaction are what make Bond. THAT is why I like Craig - he still has that arrogant touch.
    BAIN123 wrote:

I suspect that woman hasn't read CR. Although to tell the truth I was pretty shocked by that.

Racism and sexism I can do without nowadays but arrogance and a certain amount of self satisfaction are what make Bond.

She did say she hadn't read all the books. But something tells me she was basing her argument more off the cinematic Bond rather than the literary Bond.
    BAIN123 wrote:

Racism and sexism I can do without nowadays but arrogance and a certain amount of self satisfaction are what make Bond.

She did say she hadn't read all the books. But something tells me she was basing her argument more off the cinematic Bond rather than the literary Bond.

True but both the literary Bond and the film Bond had a certain level of "arrogance". Both could (at times) be quite sexist ("man talk").
    All in all, a well made 15 minute piece, with lots of familiar faces interviewed and a little new footage thrown in, which was rather nice.

I liked the animations of the new Vintage covers. I wonder if they're online somewhere?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2012 Posts: 5,901
    I wasn't impressed with the professor/"Bond expert" who talked about "internal treachery" being new to the series as of QoS and CR. Clearly, he's forgotten GE and DAD!
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

True but both the literary Bond and the film Bond had a certain level of "arrogance". Both could (at times) be quite sexist ("man talk").

Also true but that applies much more to the films. The books revealed that below that arrogance lay a very troubled man, so that arrogance presented can only be taken at face value.
    Sorry about that. It was pretty rubbish.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Also true but that applies much more to the films. The books revealed that below that arrogance lay a very troubled man, so that arrogance presented can only be taken at face value.

Also true.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Also true.

But hey, it's only the opinion of one woman. She doesn't matter. I've never really heard that argument presented before. We all love Bond and that's what counts.
    Did anyone notice that the lady (Bidisha) was wearing some right evil looking bond villain style gloves?