The Crown (Netflix Original)

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Really enjoying season 3 of The Crown. Amazing production values and casting.
    One of the real standouts for me is Tobias Menzies as Prince Philip.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I haven't had the chance to watch it yet, sadly. School is very busy.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,834
    Already finished it all. Love it. I do think the first two seasons were better but the third season is a worthy follow-up and the cast is great. Cant' wait for Season 4, and what the future holds for the series going into Season 5 and 6 if they're gonna be made :)

The reason I say the first two seasons were better is that I felt this season rushed a few things and didn't stop and simmer on things that seemed worthy of the attention.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Benny wrote: »

It's a little slower than 1 & 2. But still good. Tobias Menzies as Prince Philip is brilliant....the voice is 'spot on.'
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »

It's a little slower than 1 & 2. But still good. Tobias Menzies as Prince Philip is brilliant....the voice is 'spot on.'

At this stage I think I liked season 1 and 2 slightly better. However, I'm still very much enjoying season 3. Olivia Colman is one of my favourite actresses, and makes a very good Queen Elizabeth II. But she doesn't quite look like the Queen. I think Claire Foy looked the part.
    Still enjoying this series and look forward too season 4 and beyond. Colman certainly doesn't ruin the show, but at times takes me out of the show.
    As you say @suavejmf Tobias Menzies nails Prince Philips voice and general mannerisms.
    He's a gifted actor. Wouldn't mind seeing him return to Bond at any time.
    Just read the Imelda Staunton is set to play The Queen in season 5 and 6 of The Crown

https://tvline.com/2019/11/21/the-crown-imelda-staunton-queen-elizabeth-season-5-netflix/

I think she's a great choice. Terrific actress.
  • I'm kind of annoyed they used Charles Dance in this season. For my money he would be a great Prince Philip for 5 & 6.
    That's true @2Wint2Kidd he would. However I think he portrays Lord Mountbatten very well in this current season of The Crown. Certainly a pivotal role.
    As much as I like Olivia Colman as an actress, and she is outstanding. I feel she's a little miscast in The Crown. She takes me out of the show somewhat, but is far from terrible.
    Certainly enjoying season 3 as much as I would hope.
  • Benny wrote: »
    That's true @2Wint2Kidd he would. However I think he portrays Lord Mountbatten very well in this current season of The Crown. Certainly a pivotal role.
    As much as I like Olivia Colman as an actress, and she is outstanding. I feel she's a little miscast in The Crown. She takes me out of the show somewhat, but is far from terrible.
    Certainly enjoying season 3 as much as I would hope.
    I've only watched the first six episodes of season 3 so far, and my biggest complaint so far is that I feel Olivia Colman has taken a back seat to other characters so far, Margaret, Charles, Philip, and even Harold Wilson. I'm hoping that in the last few episodes they actually give Colman something to do as she is a fantastic actress. I wouldn't say she is miscast, just not given material to stand out from Claire Foy.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I'm kind of annoyed they used Charles Dance in this season. For my money he would be a great Prince Philip for 5 & 6.

I thought he was a dead cert for that role as early as season 2 then I notices he was in this season, shame really but I'm sure they'll pick someone suitable.

Got Giri Harji to get through this week then will binge S3 of The Crown the week after.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2020 Posts: 15,686
    The Crown renewed for a 5th season, which will be the show's final season. Imelda Staunton will portray Queen Elizabeth in season 5.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/netflix-crown-end-season-5-imelda-staunton-set-as-queen-1275282
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,686
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Brilliant series. Oozes class.
    The Crown renewed for a sixth (and final) season.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/the-crown-season-six-peter-morgan-1202981397/
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The Crown renewed for a sixth (and final) season.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/the-crown-season-six-peter-morgan-1202981397/
    Yes!! I'm so glad :)
  • Good news. Back to the original plan, then. Imelda Staunton would have been short changed with only one season.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,686
    James Bond alumni Jonathan Pryce has been cast as Prince Philip in The Crown for the 5th and 6th seasons.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/jonathan-pryce-cast-as-prince-philip-the-crown-1203011673/
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Elizabeth Debicki will play Princess Diana in the final two seasons of The Crown (Seasons 5 and 6).

Efj2QjRXoAUUOGT.jpg:large
    Way taller than Di, but I guess that's movie magic for ya ;)

Also, Pryce as Phillip? Eh...maybe, I don't know. Good actors, though. But then again, the last season had a stellar cast, but they never quite got the magic from the first seasons back. Even though it still is a brilliant show with a brilliant cast.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Elizabeth Debicki will play Princess Diana in the final two seasons of The Crown (Seasons 5 and 6).

I daresay she would have been a better choice for Madeleine.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    echo wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »

I daresay she would have been a better choice for Madeleine.

Her and Vanessa Kirby are my two "it's so obvious, it might be too obvious"-choices for Bond Girls. Debicki is in Tenet (and was in The Night Manager and The Man from U.N.C.L.E.) and Kirby was in M:I and a Fast & Furious. And now both in The Crown, albeit different periods. So they might be too big now. But they are the first names that come to mind.

On The Crown in general: I am really interested in whom they will cast as Charles opposite her. With the clip these anouncements have come, I would think that one is not far off. And Camilla, too, given that their marriage in 2005 could be the endpoint of the entire series.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 344
    The 2005 marriage of Charles and Camilla could be the endpoint of the entire series, but I think it far more likely that it will end with the 2002 Golden Jubilee. Apparently the Queen was genuinely surprised and moved by the sheer enormity of the crowds that greeted her during that - Imelda Staunton on the balcony, surrounded by the future of 'The Crown' seems an ideal stopping point - especially when you consider that both her mother and sister had died just a few months before.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    The 2005 marriage of Charles and Camilla could be the endpoint of the entire series, but I think it far more likely that it will end with the 2002 Golden Jubilee. Apparently the Queen was genuinely surprised and moved by the sheer enormity of the crowds that greeted her during that - Imelda Staunton on the balcony, surrounded by the future of 'The Crown' seems an ideal stopping point - especially when you consider that both her mother and sister had died just a few months before.

Yeah, I was kind of getting ahead of myself there. You're most likely right.
    At the end of the day, even though they constantly harp on about how the show is called The Crown and not The Queen, the show is about her. And that end shot you are describing is probably to good to pass up..
  • Season 4 teaser and date announcement:

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Love it! Cannot wait :)
    And here's Maggie ! Or rather, Gillian Anderson as Mrs. Thatcher :

TheCrown_401_Unit_03416_RT-8e44858.jpg?webp=true&quality=90&resize=620%2C413

And the Princess of Hearts, played by Emma Corrin :

TheCrown_403_Unit_03181_RT-487a89c.jpg?webp=true&quality=90&resize=620%2C413
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Love it! One of the best written shows out there and can't wait for another season :)
  • New teaser trailer:

• The full trailer appeared a couple of days ago. From this brief glimpse (and from advance reviews) it seems that Emma Corrin has managed to capture the young Diana very well. Anderson looks strong as Thatcher. My only slight concern are the whispers of another 'icy' version of the Queen by Olivia Colman - certainly the public persona of QEII, especially during the troubled parts of her reign, were stoic, but in Season 3 I'm not sure that Colman captured (or was allowed to capture) the more relaxed, slightly mischievous, private face of Elizabeth. Well, 15 November isn't far away now, to find out for ourselves. Greatly looking forward to it.