The Crown (Netflix Original)

Comments

• Congratulations to Claire Foy and The Crown at the Golden Globes last night. Well deserved awards. Just as QE II herself re-emerged after those rather premature internet rumours about her demise!

Let's hope Season 2 lives up to the first.
    I'm really disappointed that "Westworld" didn't win the Limited Series award. I liked "The Crown", but I felt that "Westworld" was better. These awards remind me of "The King's Speech". And I'm not being complimentary.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 2,341
    I am glad to see "The Crown" get the recognition and to see Claire Foy take home that globe. Didn't recognize her with the blond hair though.

DRush76 wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed that "Westworld" didn't win the Limited Series award. I liked "The Crown", but I felt that "Westworld" was better. These awards remind me of "The King's Speech". And I'm not being complimentary.

I was sad to see "Westworld" and "This is Us" overlooked.
  • Thanks for that. Looks like a rocky 2nd season for the Queen. Was that Anton Lesser (Chief Superintendent Bright from Endeavour, Qyburn from Game of Thrones and Fagin from Dickensian) as Harold Macmillan? Interesting casting. Not someone I would immediately have thought of as Supermac. Jeremy Northam, on the other hand, is an ideal fit for Sir Anthony Eden.

Looking forward to 8 December.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I have reserved the Season 1 Blu-ray.
    Looking forward to 8 December.
    Me too. Probably my favorite series Netflix has done.
  • Olivia Colman is an excellent actor, but I can't quite picture her as the Queen just yet. I'm sure her performance will win me over, though. It's good news that a third season has been definitely green-lit - presumably that will be the Harold Wilson, Edward Heath era. Almost certainly we'll be seeing the Anthony Blunt spy drama play out too.

That's for the future, I'm ready for Eden, Macmillan, Phil and Liz scraps, Charles's childhood and more Margaret turmoil in December.

It'll be sad to wave goodbye to Claire Foy and Matt Smith, but I fully understand why.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am only midway through season 1 I'll have to catch up for season 2, stunning show looks great in 4K.
  • It had been bugging me all day. The nagging thought that Olivia Colman seemed a far better fit for the Queen Mother rather than Elizabeth II. Just read an article that she played the Queen Mother (the then Queen Elizabeth to her husband's King George VI) in the curious film Hyde Park on the Hudson (2012), where Bill Murray played FDR. That's where I had seen her.

We talk of Helen Mirren having played both Elizabeth I and Elizabeth II, but Olivia Colman would, I think, be unique in having portrayed both Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, and her daughter.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Still midway through season one of The Crown watched the season two trailer earlier, the tone put me off.
  • Still midway through season one of The Crown watched the season two trailer earlier, the tone put me off.

But you musn't let the Season 2 trailer put you off finishing Season 1. There are some great episodes in the second half. The Churchill/Graham Sutherland one in particular is, quite fittingly, a work of art.
    Still midway through season one of The Crown watched the season two trailer earlier, the tone put me off.

But you musn't let the Season 2 trailer put you off finishing Season 1. There are some great episodes in the second half. The Churchill/Graham Sutherland one in particular is, quite fittingly, a work of art.

I'll definitely watch the remainder of season 1 I am more interested in the political aspects of the show.

Ooh, that's a very good 'un.
  • Still midway through season one of The Crown watched the season two trailer earlier, the tone put me off.

I'll definitely watch the remainder of season 1 I am more interested in the political aspects of the show.

I think we'll get a lot of politics. The trailer focuses on the personal side and the family's romantic travails, but we are also set to explore the big guns of Suez and Profumo. Sir Anthony and Supermac will keep the political end up. I hope.
  • It's Crown day! All Season 2 episodes available now. I've somehow managed to squeeze in two episodes already. Good stuff. As glossy and well made as ever.

Matt Smith tells the story that upon meeting Prince William (at some polo event, I think), it was mentioned to the prince that Smith was about to star as his grandfather. William reached across, shook his hand, and simply said of Prince Philip: "He's a legend."

It certainly isn't fashionable to say so, but after watching the very Philip-heavy episode 2, I find myself rather agreeing.
    It's Crown day! All Season 2 episodes available now. I've somehow managed to squeeze in two episodes already. Good stuff. As glossy and well made as ever.

Matt Smith tells the story that upon meeting Prince William (at some polo event, I think), it was mentioned to the prince that Smith was about to star as his grandfather. William reached across, shook his hand, and simply said of Prince Philip: "He's a legend."

It certainly isn't fashionable to say so, but after watching the very Philip-heavy episode 2, I find myself rather agreeing.
    Well that's me excited then. Love the job Smith did in season one. Have been rewatching the first season in prep. One more to go then onto the new batch.
    What's the time period for 2? I watched the first 10 minutes of episode 1 and I was just curious.
  • What's the time period for 2? I watched the first 10 minutes of episode 1 and I was just curious.

It follows on shortly after we left off. Eden is still PM. The Suez Crisis was October 1956. It seems that Margaret started hitting the bottle even harder after the Peter Townsend business in Season 1.

Season 2 should take us until 1964.
  • This isn't a spoiler at all, just an historical fact, but when Eden tells the Queen that he is going to recuperate in Jamaica, he actually goes on to stay at Goldeneye with Ian Fleming. I think Sir Anthony was the first to participate in the tree planting tradition for those who stayed there.

Eden's visit probably didn't hurt Fleming's public profile, either.
    How's everyone else's Crowning going? I'm on Episode 7.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    One day, some day, I'll give this a go. I've heard nothing but stellar things about both seasons.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    S2 was another slice of quality, The Crown really is an astounding achievement.

Claire Foy has been astounding as HRH, it's really one of the finest performances in television history and also Matt Smith as Phillip.

I don't see the issue with Olivia Coleman taking over, I can't think of another actress being able to embody the older Elizabeth than her.

It will be interesting to see who they get for Phillip, some have mentioned Christopher Eccleston.

Apart from the fact I think he'd pull it off it would be quite ironic to have another Dr Who in the role again, guess we'll see, also the recasting of Magaret and the Queen Mother.

Will look forward to S3 greatly, have thoroughly enjoyed both of the first seasons immensely, the acting has been consistently brilliant throughout.
    I particularly enjoyed Episode 8 of Season 2: Dear Mrs. Kennedy. Though John wasn't exactly right, Jodi Balfour does a wonderful job as Jackie. Though not as good as Natalie Portman, still quite good.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 684
    One more episode to go! It's been another fantastic season. Agree with all the comments about Foy, although of the current crop I will be most sad to see Matt Smith departing. I think he's been just brilliant. I loved the Philip-centric episodes this go-around, particularly "Paterfamilias."

This is the first I've heard the suggestion of Eccelston. I've been hearing Tennant, mostly. Jude Law has come up. To toss a name I haven't seen out there -- how about Rufus Sewell?
    I do wonder if we'll see more about Douglas-Home!
  • Old Alec Douglas-Home was a bit of a blink and you'll miss him prime minister though, wasn't he? He's the one many forget when attempting to list the post war PMs. I can't wait for Season 3 and Harold Wilson. His relationship with the Queen, by all accounts, was a very close and fascinating one. He played a large role in The Audience, the play that inspires this TV series.

Not sure about the next Prince Philip, but surely Charles Dance would be absolutely perfect as a later one.
  • Season 2 was another magnificent achievement but did it short change Harold Macmillan a little? I don't think he was anywhere near as weak as his portrayal here. I also thought they might have played up his superb relationship with President Kennedy, who seemed to think of him as an uncle-figure. There is only so much time, I suppose, and that might have disrupted the narrative a bit.

Also, I thought Greg Wise was superb as Dickie Mountbatten. I'll be sorry to see him go. He doesn't quite get the plaudits that other members of the cast have got, but when I looked at him, I really saw Lord Mountbatten, and his touching relationship with his great-nephew Charles was handled wonderfully well.